Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog -- Likely draft DL early, Chad, etc

Skinsinparadise

Yes, I think they did it because they wanted to have room to trade for Johnson and give him a new contract.

There's a big difference between the amount of money it would take to sign a top notch player like Johnson, and emergency injury signings. You don't need a 9 million dollar emergency fund.

There are plenty of ways that the Skins can use that space without signing Chad Johnson. In fact, the Skins don't need nearly that much space to give him a new deal. Typically, the Skins have almost always gave the minimum salary for FA deals, which means even with a big signing bonus, he'd probably only take up 3-4m. So, that doesn't explain all of that space.

I think they are keeping things open for any type of deal, not just for Chad Johnson. Not to mention that there are still needs for veteran players, some of which will come available after the draft and some after June 1.

Course, it is always possible that no deal gets done, and they decide to use that extra cap space to resign their own players. There are a lot of options out there, and most teams would be foolish to just bet on one option.

Jason

I am not on board with the idea of bringing Chad Johnson here, but I don't think the Redskins would need to give up as much as you are suggesting to get him.

The Patriots only gave up a 3rd rounder to get Randy Moss, and he is a better WR than Johnson.

Randy moss was not a better Receiver then OCHO at the time when New England traded for him

If we draft one of the decent RBs it would support this theory. Draft day will be very interesting.
The fact that we have been scouting some of the higher ranked RB's like Charles supports my theory. However, this time of year every move could be categorzed as genuine interest or gamesmanship.

The fact that we have been scouting some of the higher ranked RB's like Charles supports my theory. However' date=' this time of year every move could be categorzed as genuine interest or gamesmanship.[/quote']

Every team looks at everyone, no matter how much or little the need is for a team. The reason being that this is one of the few opportunities to scout players directly before they enter the league. It is good to note stuff on scouting reports and to decide later on if you want to persue a player if they ever hit the open market. So, I think nothing of any meetings with any players, because it is likely the draft will roll in different directions.

Jason

Someone needs to tell JLC that Espy has been released. :)

JLC is seriously slipping. I'm sorry if he has some serious family issues. Many of us do but we still need to do our jobs. I'd like to see him get his **** together if he's going to continue reporting on the Skins.

I think they are keeping things open for any type of deal, not just for Chad Johnson. Not to mention that there are still needs for veteran players, some of which will come available after the draft and some after June 1.

I wasn't saying that it was saved for that sole purpose.

Course, it is always possible that no deal gets done, and they decide to use that extra cap space to resign their own players. There are a lot of options out there, and most teams would be foolish to just bet on one option.

I think they made the space with that as their first option in mind, and that they will use it for some other purpose if things don't work out. It's all up to the Bengals. Maybe if Jason Campbell proves himself this year he will get a new deal with that money. Can't really think of any other players with contracts coming up that need attention.

A few interesting conclusions that I came to with JLC's posting. Might not be what actually happens, but I think they are the logical jumps to make considering everything.

1) We have cap room for a reason. Like someone else said, we're not delaying cap hits for no reason. And the 8-9 million is after setting aside for rooks and injury. I think we have a deal already in place to get Chad after June 1.

The Bengals have 3 excellent WR and will never be able to afford to keep them all. They'll trade Chad, re-up TJ (who is unhappy about his contract), move Chris Henry to starter, probably draft a slot guy, and then have more draft picks next year.

On our end, we get the playmaker we want, we'll still get comp picks next year cause we made a trade instead of a FA signing, and even though we lose a 1st in 09, we're really only drafting for depth next year and can continue to build with probably 7 picks or so (plus won't have to commit 1st round money). We need a vet WR if we expect serious contribution to continue our momentum from last year, continue Campbell's development, and contend in the NFC East. I don't think the organization plans on taking a step back.

2) What I found even more interesting is that we are looking like we might go DL in the 1st round of the draft. I know most people on here are thinking about DL, WR or Branden Albert. I never thought we would do OL in the first because we don't need a day one starter. With Fabini back in the fold, we can bring someone along as the season progresses. JLC sort of confirmed my belief by saying we would look at OL around the 3rd. As for WR, I think the CJ theory takes a 1st round WR out of the equation.

So this leaves DL. Obviously, Blache has said how important this is to our team. The only DT worth considering at 21 that's will be available is Balmer. For DE, we obviously can see who's available, but most likely, Merling and Harvey are gone (obviously Gholston and Long are gone). I'm thinking that we're real comfortable with the thought of drafting Calais Campbell. If we wait til the 2nd to pick up a DE, we might miss Campbell and Lawrence Jackson.

So I see our draft going 1st - Calais Campbell; 2nd through 3rd rounds - drafting OG, DT, and DB based on BPA at the time. Other guaranteed later picks include more OL and a QB.

3) As for trading Betts, there's a good point about his contract. His bonuses not guaranteed, big cap hit for a backup, Rock just re-upped. I think Zorn feels comfortable with Rock as the #2 in this system. He's more elusive than Betts, who was more of a fit for the Gibbs style. We use a later pick on a backup RB to develop. Zorn will evaluate Mason and Shelton in camp (Shelton was a beast at Louisville).

Remember Chad is disgruntled in Cincy and the question remains? Does Cincy want rid themselves of a player who will be malcontent or play hardball and never see any incentive for their reward.

I think there's another question to be asked:

Do we have any assurances that Chad won't treat us in the same fashion a year or 2 down the road?

Chad says the reason he's leaving has to do with winning & making the playoffs...yet, when he got to a playoff game, he had his worst incident as a player (the infamous half-time lockerrooom fight w/his coaches).

His current team has the offensive firepower of any in the league, yet he's unsure of their ability to get to the playoffs?

Maybe he's really unsure that he will remain a #1 target in the future, with the ascendancy of JTJ Whosyourmomma. And, if that's so, will he act any differently if he comes to our team, and Campbell gives Moss or Cooley Pro-bowl type numbers instead?

This is the infamous "other woman" question that no one likes to ask...if a husband leaves his wife to be with you, what's to prevent him from leaving you in the future?

Before we go in this direction, the FO need to seriously research this, and make sure Chad doesn't pout like a 5 yr. old (like the last #3 WR that was here).

Every team looks at everyone, no matter how much or little the need is for a team. The reason being that this is one of the few opportunities to scout players directly before they enter the league. It is good to note stuff on scouting reports and to decide later on if you want to persue a player if they ever hit the open market. So, I think nothing of any meetings with any players, because it is likely the draft will roll in different directions.

Jason

There's a difference between looking at someone and setting up an individual meeting with a player. One shows a much higher level of interest. To completely dismiss meetings is ignoring anayltical intelligence.

3) As for trading Betts, there's a good point about his contract. His bonuses not guaranteed, big cap hit for a backup, Rock just re-upped. I think Zorn feels comfortable with Rock as the #2 in this system. He's more elusive than Betts, who was more of a fit for the Gibbs style. We use a later pick on a backup RB to develop. Zorn will evaluate Mason and Shelton in camp (Shelton was a beast at Louisville).

totally agree with this ... a lot of people are down on Rock as a viable #2 RB in this league. But I do believe that he has shown flashes that he has the speed and the toughness to contribute to the running game.

Despite his so-called tendency to fumble, honestly I only recall one fumble in the KC game a few years ago. I am sure he has fumbled more than that, but after that game and his 120 performance in the St. Louis game in '05, he has not gotten any game time action at RB.

I'm not gonna argue that he is a bonafide RB, but I do believe he is a capable backup at RB, especially in the WCO. He was one of the few bright spots in the backfield during Spurrier's last year. Not to mention he is making the league minimum, we have a developmental player in Marcus Mason and may even draft another RB or sign a June 1st cut or cap casualty from another team.

Honestly, I think his self confidence and intensity rubs some people the wrong way. But, when given the chance he has performed pretty well at RB, IMO.

Ladell was Saunder's guy, and he fit that system good, when the running game was going and the OL was in rhythm, he had a lot of success. That being said I believe we resigned him with the purposes of backing up CP in AS's system only.

As much as I like Ladell, he is expendable and a valuable trade option we should seriously consider using to our advantage.

Do we have any assurances that Chad won't treat us in the same fashion a year or 2 down the road?

Chad says the reason he's leaving has to do with winning & making the playoffs...yet, when he got to a playoff game, he had his worst incident as a player (the infamous half-time lockerrooom fight w/his coaches).

His current team has the offensive firepower of any in the league, yet he's unsure of their ability to get to the playoffs?

Maybe he's really unsure that he will remain a #1 target in the future, with the ascendancy of JTJ Whosyourmomma. And, if that's so, will he act any differently if he comes to our team, and Campbell gives Moss or Cooley Pro-bowl type numbers instead?

This is the infamous "other woman" question that no one likes to ask...if a husband leaves his wife to be with you, what's to prevent him from leaving you in the future?

Before we go in this direction, the FO need to seriously research this, and make sure Chad doesn't pout like a 5 yr. old (like the last #3 WR that was here).

Actually, when Brandon "Madd Rapper" came here, he was proclaimed to be the starter alongside of Moss.

Playing the role of a prognosticator can be funny because you never will know how a situation will transpire given the circumstances. What if Johnson comes here and did the exact opposite of what you say?

Look at the Randy Moss situation in how he was given a second chance at life with Tom Brady. Now I am not saying that Johnson requires a different a QB, but maybe his request for a change is quite deserving considering that T.J. "Who'syourmomma :D " is looking for his fruit of labour.

totally agree with this ... a lot of people are down on Rock as a viable #2 RB in this league. But I do believe that he has shown flashes that he has the speed and the toughness to contribute to the running game.

Despite his so-called tendency to fumble, honestly I only recall one fumble in the KC game a few years ago. I am sure he has fumbled more than that, but after that game and his 120 performance in the St. Louis game in '05, he has not gotten any game time action at RB.

I'm not gonna argue that he is a bonafide RB, but I do believe he is a capable backup at RB, especially in the WCO. He was one of the few bright spots in the backfield during Spurrier's last year. Not to mention he is making the league minimum, we have a developmental player in Marcus Mason and may even draft another RB or sign a June 1st cut or cap casualty from another team.

Honestly, I think his self confidence and intensity rubs some people the wrong way. But, when given the chance he has performed pretty well at RB, IMO.

Ladell was Saunder's guy, and he fit that system good, when the running game was going and the OL was in rhythm, he had a lot of success. That being said I believe we resigned him with the purposes of backing up CP in AS's system only.

As much as I like Ladell, he is expendable and a valuable trade option we should seriously consider using to our advantage.

on the flip side...he couldn't have been overly vital to the Skins' thinking for a while there...they were fully willing to let him work the FA market.

There's a difference between looking at someone and setting up an individual meeting with a player. One shows a much higher level of interest. To completely dismiss meetings is ignoring anayltical intelligence.

No, you can't completely dismiss it, but you can't really infer anything by it either. It could be that they are honestly interested in him, or it could be that they are drumming up interest in their own picks by looking like they are interested in multiple players. It could be just that they are covering all of their bases, looking at all of the options out there.

Certainly Betts could be trade bait, but I wouldn't restrict it to just Chad Johnson. For example, Arizona has a strong need for a running back as well and they also have some talent on their roster that could be had, like maybe Boldin.

Jason

1) We have cap room for a reason. Like someone else said, we're not delaying cap hits for no reason. And the 8-9 million is after setting aside for rooks and injury. I think we have a deal already in place to get Chad after June 1.

The Bengals have 3 excellent WR and will never be able to afford to keep them all. They'll trade Chad, re-up TJ (who is unhappy about his contract), move Chris Henry to starter, probably draft a slot guy, and then have more draft picks next year.

On our end, we get the playmaker we want, we'll still get comp picks next year cause we made a trade instead of a FA signing, and even though we lose a 1st in 09, we're really only drafting for depth next year and can continue to build with probably 7 picks or so (plus won't have to commit 1st round money). We need a vet WR if we expect serious contribution to continue our momentum from last year, continue Campbell's development, and contend in the NFC East. I don't think the organization plans on taking a step back.

I have to agree. Betts value is probally at its peak right now.

I would not be disappointed with C. Johnson coming in, and yes I still think we need to draft a WR in the middle rounds for the future.

As for C. Johnson getting disgruntled in a couple of years, well that can happen to any player, and its one of the reasons players move around. That and mo money :D

No, you can't completely dismiss it, but you can't really infer anything by it either. It could be that they are honestly interested in him, or it could be that they are drumming up interest in their own picks by looking like they are interested in multiple players. It could be just that they are covering all of their bases, looking at all of the options out there.

Certainly Betts could be trade bait, but I wouldn't restrict it to just Chad Johnson. For example, Arizona has a strong need for a running back as well and they also have some talent on their roster that could be had, like maybe Boldin.

Jason

Hey do you think trading El and a 2009 pick to the Bengals or Cards is out of the question for there top WR's Johnson or Boldin?:logo:

Just a thought?

If you take a look at our situation compared to Cincy's situation, you can see that we are in better shape then them. We had a top 10 defense with injuries and road a depleated offense straight to the playoffs. Imagine if we had a mostly healthy team last season, we could have done a bit of damage in the playoffs. Heck we even beat the Giants. Now look at Cincy. They can't keep their players out of trouble. Their RB situation is horrible. Their defense is god awful. They are in a division they have an uphill climb to win every year.

Sure Chad can come here and do the same in some many years as he did in Cincy. But thats the name of the game. Look how Randy and TO did when they changed teams. Even when Dallas choked and the Patriots were exposed, both players right away defended their teams and shelved the blame. Neither of them turned against their team. Which everyone expected them to do. IMO Chad has no where near the character issues that either Moss or TO had in their previous teams.

Our FO has to see our MAJOR lack of WRs on the team. To think we are safe at WR is plain foolish. Moss is always banged up. So we are looking at a ARE, Thrash, Mix starting trio at some point this year since Moss is certain to be dinged up at some point. The question of moss's health is just as much of a concern as CJs reaction here if we dont succeed.

Archived