Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have the RAIDERS Taken Away OUR "RING" As OFFSEASON Super Bowl Champs?

LightenupSandyBaby

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3299615

After reading this article I was pleasantly amused :laugh: that we no longer look like desperate Fools....YET! I was also somewhat disappointed that Oakland took away our Off-Season Super Bowl RING!!! It almost feels as bad when Marcus "F****N" Allen ran all over us in the Super Bowl. :raidersuc

How do you feel?

Is our Franchise Consider an Off-Season Super Bowl Dynasty? :1stplace:

Can Al Davis Match or Surpass the number of years we Reign as O-S SB Champs?

Even with the additions, the Raiders hardly look like superbowl champs (im sure to other teams fans we never did either!), but I know what you mean.

I do think Al Davis has just gone on the ugliest off season spending spree since we got Bruce Smith and Deion Sanders.

We will see how long the skins last staying quiet......if this year doesnt work out....Danny boy might get that "pocket itch" back.

I dunno... I thought the 49ers last couple of offseasons were as bizarre/desperate as anything going on in Washington or Oakland -- they've been spending money like it was on fire. I suppose it would be meaningful if they had actually improved -- perhaps the measurement should be the ratio of most money spent to smallest improvement. (And improvement can be in negative numbers, as the 9ers regressed after attempting to spend their way to success in 2007.) Desperate teams do that, so it's a good sign that your offseason has been calm.

(That, or a sign that your FO is paralyzed/catatonic, or that you're dancing on the edge of cap hell. But I prefer the brighter outlook.)

I do think Al Davis has just gone on the ugliest off season spending spree since we got Bruce Smith and Deion Sanders.

I was watching the NFLTA last night and they showed the amount of money the Raiders spent this off season....they spent a whole lot more on their FA's than we ever did. At least as far as total salaries are concerned. Now their guarenteed money may not have been as much, but as far as the total amount they got "THE RING".

We only look like desperate fools to clowns who read nothing but headlines.

Last year's "offseason champ" was the Patriots.. did they meet a superstar they didn't sign? After bringing in so many players thru free agency and trades, and then going 18 and >ahem< ONE, why aren't they accused of trying to 'buy a championship' as we so often hear? They clearly did. (not to mention cheating to insure it... fact is the last time the Pats did win the Super Bowl, they had 23 free agents on the squad.. roughly 45% of the roster. Big names & small names.)

San Francisco spent so much money last offseason they could have floated the economy of half of Africa. And they were a joke of a team, no competition for anyone.

the year before the Broncos had to cut three starters on just the FEAR that the CBA wouldn't go through because the year before that they went totally stupid in free agency like they do almost all the time.

Ah, the Broncos,, a team made of teflon when it comes to this.

a team actually penalized by the league for violating the salary cap because they manage it so well, they never met a big stupid salary they didn't like, they never met a free agent they wouldn't throw money at. They paid Brian Griese a ridiculous bonus after his rookie year, then they ate 11 mil in dead cap to get rid of him less than 24 months later. They gave Dale Carter a stupid amount of money, and he went promptly into a bar and never came out. They bought Chester MCGlockton years of his career he never deserved, they brought in every bum defensive lineman from the Browns (who turned out to be, what do you know, BUMS), they paid stupid money for Javon walker,, now a raider.

And since their Super Bowl win 10 years ago they have the same number of playoff wins as we do.

OH, and in 2001, the year after Danny earned the reputation that is so beautifully carried forth in this thread, the Broncos set the record for the highest payroll in NFL history. But go ask 10 NFL fans who holds that dubious honor, and who do you think they'll guess?

We've had our share of high priced busts that always seem to be the punch line... Archuleta, Mark Carrier, Deion took us for a ride, etc. It happens to more than just us, but it seems we're the only ones held up to ridicule for it.

For example..

The Eagles made Javon Kearse the highest paid pass rusher in history.

here.. one more time.

(It just looks funny in print, doesn't it?)

Remember Peerless Price? Cost Atlanta a stupid amount of money AND a first round pick.

Back to buying rings.

The Buccaneers bought an offense and a coach and a sack machine and won a Super Bowl. Every single skill player on that team other than Mike Alstott was bought or traded for, and they gave up a pair of picks and a ton of cash for Jon Gruden. (First time ever a coach has been traded for as I believe.) Then they went and won. They bought their ring. The difference between them and us is they won,, and that is a big difference indeed.

Meanwhile the Redskins have had two or three seasons in the past 7 or 8 in which we've been major players.. most notably in 2000, when Danny earned this rep.

We've had our share of busts, but as illustrated, not as embarrassing in comparison with some others. It's just because Snyder has a bed rep among sportswriters, they don't much like him, so they continue to perpetuate this notion that somehow he's this bungling buffoon with no clue what he's doing. And since the dogs continue to lap it up, they'll keep printing it.

So as fans of this team, I think we have an obligation to at least help dispel some of this junk, rather than expand it.

~Bang

Most definitely.. Oakland is actually putting us to shame I would say. Someone mentioned this in another thread, but it almost seems like Al has gotten a doctor's diagnosis that he is going to die in 12 months and is trying for one last run.

We only look like desperate fools to clowns who read nothing but headlines.

Last year's "offseason champ" was the Patriots.. did they meet a superstar they didn't sign? After bringing in so many players thru free agency and trades, and then going 18 and >ahem< ONE, why aren't they accused of trying to 'buy a championship' as we so often hear? They clearly did. (not to mention cheating to insure it... fact is the last time the Pats did win the Super Bowl, they had 23 free agents on the squad.. roughly 45% of the roster. Big names & small names.)

San Francisco spent so much money last offseason they could have floated the economy of half of Africa. And they were a joke of a team, no competition for anyone.

the year before the Broncos had to cut three starters on just the FEAR that the CBA wouldn't go through because the year before that they went totally stupid in free agency like they do almost all the time.

Ah, the Broncos,, a team made of teflon when it comes to this.

a team actually penalized by the league for violating the salary cap because they manage it so well, they never met a big stupid salary they didn't like, they never met a free agent they wouldn't throw money at. They paid Brian Griese a ridiculous bonus after his rookie year, then they ate 11 mil in dead cap to get rid of him less than 24 months later. They gave Dale Carter a stupid amount of money, and he went promptly into a bar and never came out. They bought Chester MCGlockton years of his career he never deserved, they brought in every bum defensive lineman from the Browns (who turned out to be, what do you know, BUMS), they paid stupid money for Javon walker,, now a raider.

And since their Super Bowl win 10 years ago they have the same number of playoff wins as we do.

OH, and in 2001, the year after Danny earned the reputation that is so beautifully carried forth in this thread, the Broncos set the record for the highest payroll in NFL history. But go ask 10 NFL fans who holds that dubious honor, and who do you think they'll guess?

We've had our share of high priced busts that always seem to be the punch line... Archuleta, Mark Carrier, Deion took us for a ride, etc. It happens to more than just us, but it seems we're the only ones held up to ridicule for it.

For example..

here.. one more time.

(It just looks funny in print, doesn't it?)

Remember Peerless Price? Cost Atlanta a stupid amount of money AND a first round pick.

Back to buying rings.

The Buccaneers bought an offense and a coach and a sack machine and won a Super Bowl. Every single skill player on that team other than Mike Alstott was bought or traded for, and they gave up a pair of picks and a ton of cash for Jon Gruden. (First time ever a coach has been traded for as I believe.) Then they went and won. They bought their ring. The difference between them and us is they won,, and that is a big difference indeed.

Meanwhile the Redskins have had two or three seasons in the past 7 or 8 in which we've been major players.. most notably in 2000, when Danny earned this rep.

We've had our share of busts, but as illustrated, not as embarrassing in comparison with some others. It's just because Snyder has a bed rep among sportswriters, they don't much like him, so they continue to perpetuate this notion that somehow he's this bungling buffoon with no clue what he's doing. And since the dogs continue to lap it up, they'll keep printing it.

So as fans of this team, I think we have an obligation to at least help dispel some of this junk, rather than expand it.

~Bang

Wow Great Insight!! If the Redskins had 2-3 years....Doesn't it make us the Off Season dynasty?

For the past several years the Broncos have been the offseason team who has signed anyone and everyone.

The Redskins have been #2 or #3 for a while now.

Sorry, Shanahan doesn't get canned for being an idiot though.

Who signed the entire Browns defensive line a few years ago after they were the worst in the league? Yep, Shanahan. Never heard about it again though.

Shanahan only won with a HOF QB who had the best RB and OL in the league for 2 years. Shanahan is garbage yet he is still running the Broncos.

In reality, the Redskins have been bad, but not so bad as to ruin a team that was about at Dynasty level 10 years ago.

I think this was worse then what we did then. When we went on our shopping spree we brought in 2 future hall of famers, a former number one QB pick, and a pretty decent safety. The Raiders are paying high dollar contracts to washed up players who were never very good and paying average players like they are All Pro's. At the same time they are grabbing everyone elses trash, they are letting young productive players go for pennies. The Raiders this season have made the top of the list of worst Free Agent signings for any given year

The Raiders overpaid for some good players but they also overpaid for average ones as well. The Defense is pretty good but they had better draft some protection and targets for Jamarcus Russell with the picks they have left. I could see them improving by 3 or 4 games in the AFC West since they get to play the Broncos and Chiefs twice. Still, I think they have too much turnover to make a big splash in a tough AFC.

Well the 21rst pick is worth about 800 points, and Atlanta's first 2 second round picks (35th and 38th) are worth 1080, so if that's what you're thinking, it's unlikely. Atlanta also owns the 49th pick, but that and the 38th add up to 930.

How can you take something away that does not exist?

I dunno... I thought the 49ers last couple of offseasons were as bizarre/desperate as anything going on in Washington or Oakland -- they've been spending money like it was on fire. I suppose it would be meaningful if they had actually improved -- perhaps the measurement should be the ratio of most money spent to smallest improvement. (And improvement can be in negative numbers, as the 9ers regressed after attempting to spend their way to success in 2007.)

Yeah, I think the 49ers won last year. The Skins still felt like *players* then, though. Who did they get that the Skins considered? Nate Clements? The CB or whoever...

This year, even the perception is gone. No splash at all. Let's face it, Smoot and Fletcher were two big additions. Last year was a very good balance when it came to FA. This season, not so good.

Now Oakland doesn't get the ring, I don't think, b/c it's hard to argue that there's even the potential of that money setting them straight, don't you think? At least the case could be made for LLoyd before he arrived. And where else where the Skins thin? It's the same story -- the Skins need a big receiver, a safety, and cornerbacks. The Raiders need, um, the Raiders need to lose Big Al.

I just hope like BANG said, that we get rid of that reputation. Another reason why it is perpetuated is because we are always over or near the salary cap. It makes us look like we spend alot of money with them not realizing that we convert alot of the base salary to bonuses.

How are all those writers handling the fact that we haven't signed anyone? We gave all our guys with expired deals minimal offers and waited to see who would come back. It must be killing them.

I bet someone tried really hard to make Collins and Cartwright sound like a big deal but just couldn't. :rolleyes: "Redskins at it again, Sign Collins to vet min!" :laugh:

No, because the two notable signing sprees the Redskins went on (2000 and 2005) looked like it would take a 10-6 team and make them instant Super Bowl contenders, which made the busts even more disappointing. We were Super Bowl champs on paper.

The Raiders... Still look bad.

It's funny. When Dan was throwing the money around, everone said he is a young owner and thinks he can buy a championship. He was scolded and ridiculed for his lack of football knowledge and seemingly narrow-minded approach to ownership.

Now Davis is doing it. But you can't quite criticize him using the same logic can you? Should he know better? What's going on?

Had it been Dan that paid for Hall, it would have been the WORST move ever. We would have read about it over and over again on every website we visited.

Archived