Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the most important position in football?

WVUforREDSKINS

Besides QB.

An argument can be made for pretty much any position.

Running back...Teams without a solid back rarely do well. However, you can have a beast running back and a terrible O-line and that back won't be able to do anything.

On the other side you can have a beast O-line and without the running back that can break tackles and be elousive, he won't be doing much.

A dominating WR can change the game at any point...Moss, TO, Chad Johnson... But with a good pass rush he won't be able to have the time to get down field..(NY Giants)

Left tackle protects the QB's blind side and it is probably the most underrated position IMO.

But, the most important position to me is a solid shut down corner. No matter what it is usually the WR vs. the corner with little or no other factors. A good corner can remove the #1 receiver from the game and there is nothing that is more important than that. Remember when we played Dallas and T.O. burned us for 4 TD's? A solid cornerback is the most important position on the field other than QB.

I would say the second most is a reliable FG kicker.

(I wrote this really fast and its not as well thought out as I would like but whatever. You get the point)

In order...

1. Left Tackle(or Right Tackle, in Brunnell's case)-protects the QB's blind side.

2. Center - Makes all of the line calls in terms of picking up blitzes, etc.

3. DT - without a good DT, it just makes it easier for teams to run the ball up the gut and tire the opposing D's out.

4. MLB - he's to the D what the QB is to the O - pretty much calls all of the audibles on this side of the ball.

5. FS - the quarterback of the entire secondary. Sure, you need very good corners, but it's this guy who's the glue to this entire unit.

6. Kicker - you NEVER leave points on the field, EVER. Even a measely 3 points can make THE difference in a ball game.

I'm of the opinion that the closer your position is in relation to the ball before the snap, the more important it is. That would mean that on offense it's Center, QB, Guards, Tackles, RB's, TE's, WR's. On defense DT's, MLB, DE's, OLB's, CB's, FS/SS. :2cents:

I think it varies from team to team and with scheme. With New England this past season, RB wasn't a vital part of the game. And while they didn't need to have a great RB, other teams do. The Colts are another team who don't need to have a great RB.

I really don't think there is one clear cut answer. I think it depends on the team and what they need. For each team, the second most important position is whatever they need for their scheme to work.

I have always felt a disruptive defensive lineman who can play the run and pass is the most important position whether a DE or DT. If I had to start a team and was able to pick one player to build a team around it would have been Reggie White.

The second most important position is OLT, followed by a shut down CB.:2cents:

Middle LineBacker- don't laugh, I'm serious. A MLB with speed, power, and range can change the whole face of a defense. Look at our defense for example, London Fletcher totally changed the defense with the attributes I mentioned earlier.

The great MLBs in history are another example. From Huff to Ray Lewis, MLB is the heart of a great defense. :helmet:

the men in the trenches on both sides of the ball....

you control the line of scrimmage.. you control the game

damn..2 for 2.

the trenches control the game no question. if you have a bad OL your QB gets hit alot and your RB never gets going. Your DL is bad and they run all over you and the QB has all day to sit back and pick you off.

I have always felt a disruptive defensive lineman who can play the run and pass is the most important position whether a DE or DT.

*DING*DING*DING*DING*DING*DING

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

QB

DE

LT

more guys get piced #1 at these positions than any other and I'm willing to bet they make up more picks in the top 5 over the last 10 years or so (obviously exclude QBs cause we all know they get pushed up draft boards)

Now excuse me while I vomit, agreeing with skins fans does that to me sometimes......:puke:

damn..2 for 2.

the trenches control the game no question. if you have a bad OL your QB gets hit alot and your RB never gets going. Your DL is bad and they run all over you and the QB has all day to sit back and pick you off.

hahaha, it's all good buddy, maybe this is why we can be friends while still hating eachother :D:cheers:

on the real you are right. Like i said before, if you control the line, you control the game. You can take the BEST QB, WRs, TE, RB and throw them out there, but if you dont have a good O-line, you dont stand a chance. The QB will get nailed, the RB wont get past the first wave, and the WRs/TE wont ever get to touch the ball.

You can take the best CB, FS, SS, LBs but dont have any sort of push on the line, the QB will have days to throw the ball, and the RB will be slicing through the line and getting to the second level every time, or worse yet, getting outside and achieving the corners

Archived