Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michelle Obama: America is ‘Just Downright Mean’

Westcoastskinfan

No there's not, it's a superficial difference.

Regardless of who tried to hide what from their past, the fact is both used drugs, which should be considered the larger issue, no? And really,, if someone snorted a line in 1985, or someone toked a joint in 1996, does it really matter anyway? Hell, most of us have done the same thing, and most of us would also consider ourselves decent people.........

Frankly, Mrs. Obama comes off a bit whiny to me. She's trying to relate to people, I know, but she can't really relate, and neither can any of these privileged politicians. Maybe they lived like us once in their lives, but they sure don't now.

~Bang

There is a difference actually. As you correctly point out, most people have indeed done a line or smoked a joint. Many people have done it and are still decent, productive citizens. Lying or tying to hide it afterward does however say something. It does speak to one's character and honesty. Those things are still important, right?

And if the biggest critisizm of Mrs. Obama is that she's whiny, then we have nothing to worry about.

As Burgold pointed out, she's said nothing that isn't true. We are a divided country with downright mean people. Now, it does come from both sides of the aisled, but it does not make it untrue.

As someone who works in advertising I can tell you that this is a calculated tactic that all candidates use. They are selling the idea that they can make your life better but first they have to convince you just how much your life sucks without their help and guidance. :laugh:

Very perceptive. When I read what she actually said I immediately thought of how Hillary is connecting with a lot of middle class blue collar workers. The Obama's are trying to connect with their own constituents are doing a good job of it. The best politicians are those who can convince others that they are just regular folks. Michelle's speaches are right out of the advertising book as you point out.

You know, I don't follow a lot of this stuff personally. But I find it funny that people want someone in office that is for the people and that does what is best for the American citizens. Yet, when someone comes out and speaks as a normal person would speak, and not as a political figure would, they get ripped for it.

Is it just me, or is there some real irony going on here?

Really good point.

And I think GWB had the same thing happen to him.

We constantly demand that politicians relate to us and be a normal person. So when she says stuff that is real, people flip out. She is complaining about debt and the state of the economy. Heck, everyone on here does that no matter how rich or poor we are!

Reminds me of the Dave Chapelle skit "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong"

I read all 10 pages. And she clearly comments about how they "just got out of debt a few years ago". Yet nowhere does she comment on the amount of money they make each year. And to tie it to a JMS thread from yesterday, they are in the top 10% tax bracket. So they obviously aren't shouldering their fair share of the tax burden!:laugh:

To take on that much debt by attending 2 Ivy League schools and then ***** about how expensive they are is hyocritical. Go to South Carolina, pay in-state tuition, and then go to good law school. She did not have to attend Princeton and Harvard.

Uh, I don't think she's complaining for herself. I think she's saying that if highly successful people such as her and her husband have such a hard time paying for higher education in this country, we have a problem.

And she's right.

I think the student loans thing was a comment that the cost of education is ridiculous. And her point was, her AND her husband went to the best schools in the country, and they are only now getting out of debt. And I think she was saying, imagine the people that went to perfectly good schools, got good educations, work hard, and are going to be in debt much longer. (Like me, for example).

I didn't say I was offended by anyone disagreeing with me.

I just think she's right about this country doing poorly lately. It needs a new direction... people are being guided by fear, etc.

About 80% of the country agrees though that we are going the wrong way now. But the other 20% are entitled to their opinion. :)

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I didn't say I was offended by anyone disagreeing with me.

I just think she's right about this country doing poorly lately. It needs a new direction... people are being guided by fear, etc.

About 80% of the country agrees though that we are going the wrong way now. But the other 20% are entitled to their opinion. :)

I'd agree this country is headed in the wrong direction. As much as I don't like his politics, I think Barack has the right idea in being positive.

Her, on the other hand, isn't helping this country at all by making comments like that.

I hope this is sarcasm.

She was making like $180,000/year before he wrote his book. And they lived in a $1.6M home.

It was totally sarcasm.

You know, I don't follow a lot of this stuff personally. But I find it funny that people want someone in office that is for the people and that does what is best for the American citizens. Yet, when someone comes out and speaks as a normal person would speak, and not as a political figure would, they get ripped for it.

Is it just me, or is there some real irony going on here?

They made $1.6M in 2005. How the hell are they "normal".

I read all 10 pages. And she clearly comments about how they "just got out of debt a few years ago". Yet nowhere does she comment on the amount of money they make each year. And to tie it to a JMS thread from yesterday, they are in the top 10% tax bracket. So they obviously aren't shouldering their fair share of the tax burden!:laugh:

To take on that much debt by attending 2 Ivy League schools and then ***** about how expensive they are is hyocritical. Go to South Carolina, pay in-state tuition, and then go to good law school. She did not have to attend Princeton and Harvard.

Once again, how are you interpreting any of her comments about school loans or her present income as complaining?

Umm, would you mind staying on topic, or starting your own thread about Cindy McCain. I was hoping somone would start a thread about this ungreatful *****.

Anyone else find the humor that in a thread criticizing Michelle Obama for saying America is "just downright mean" someone called her an ungrateful b****.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They made $1.6M in 2005. How the hell are they "normal".

They are normal because they didn't come from families with money, they were talented, took advantage of opportunities and worked hard to get what they have. Kind of like what most Americans admire. Unless the successful person is young, verbal and black.

They are normal because they didn't come from families with money, they were talented, took advantage of opportunities and worked hard to get what they have.

Most wealthy Americans came from average families and made their own money so the Obama's are normal in this way.

Kind of like what most Americans admire.

Except Democrats who think that such people are cheating scoiety in someway and would like to tax the hell out of these people (income tax does not tax built-up wealth so the sons and daughters of rich parents need not worry about tax increases on the "wealthy").

Welcome to the national stage, Obamas, where every little thing you say is twisted and mutated into nasty little soundbytes.

Michelle needs to learn to adapt to this type of scrutiny because right now she's getting crushed every time she speaks.

Actually, she's not ...

I haven't seen a whiff of this story in the general press or on TV ... seems like it's just the Tailgate, and of course

Who ya gon' call? NewsBusters! :laugh:
the Newsbusters. I guess Rush Limbaugh might bring it up too.

There's nothing in this speech that all politicians don't say at every single speech. Neither Hillary nor McCain will ever raise this issue, because both of them make far more money than the Obamas.

The lesson hear is that the Tailgate is downright mean ... I mean, who wouldn't vote for Zguy?

That is only where she got her law degree. She got her undergrad from Princeton. So, 2 Ivy League schools she had to go to and she complains about the student loans? I bust my ass every day, and go to school at night. She can kiss my ass.

Besides, they made over $450,000 in 2005 just in salary. Plus close to $590,000 in earning from his book. How the hell she can try to come off as struggling like the poor in this country is beyond me.

:doh:

Exactly, the very fact that she ****es pisses me off. If she didn't want those school loans she should have went to a Community or State college. On the other hand how are people going to afford to pay for these Harvard/Princeton type of school loans when Obama increases taxes on the rich. She thinks it is bad now, wait until the wealthy who don't ***** about the school loans, have to pay a 45% Fed income tax.

Most wealthy Americans came from average families and made their own money so the Obama's are normal in this way.

Except Democrats who think that such people are cheating scoiety in someway and would like to tax the hell out of these people (income tax does not tax built-up wealth so the sons and daughters of rich parents need not worry about tax increases on the "wealthy").

This is very much right, which is why the most important Bush tax cuts that should be allowed to expire are the estate tax cuts and the capital gains tax cuts. Those are the taxes that really disproportionately benefit the wealthiest 1% of Americans, and they reward idle wealth over working wealth.

This was a big part of Edwards's platform, but unfortunately I think it mostly flew over the heads of American voters ... but that's for another thread.

Uh, I don't think she's complaining for herself. I think she's saying that if highly successful people such as her and her husband have such a hard time paying for higher education in this country, we have a problem.

And she's right.

So you increase taxes for the rich?

Exactly, the very fact that she ****es pisses me off. If she didn't want those school loans she should have went to a Community or State college. On the other hand how are people going to afford to pay for these Harvard/Princeton type of school loans when Obama increases taxes on the rich. She thinks it is bad now, wait until the wealthy who don't ***** about the school loans, have to pay a 45% Fed income tax.

Because 'the rich' won't need to take out school loans in the first place?

Anyone else find the humor that in a thread criticizing Michelle Obama for saying America is "just downright mean" someone called her an ungrateful b****.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe she should take her little Harvard Law degree and appreciate the fact that she was able to accomplish and pay off her freaking school loans, all while living in a $1.6 million dollar house.

When a Harvard or Princeton degree stops being a good economic decision people will stop going there. The fact is even if these schools start to cost $100,000+ a year the fact that most graduates make far more than this a few years out of college makes it a good long-term investment.

Let me suggest that before slamming this woman based on the quotes provided (thereby proving her contention regarding our meaness), that you go ahead and read the linked article in the New Yorker and make an effort to understand her first.

It takes some imagination for a white person like myself to understand a talented intelligent black woman with her feet in two worlds. She keeps herself grounded with her own perspective on the reality of her own success and the reality of others of her race that still struggle with economic disadvantage that has it's roots in historical and present racial and cultural bigotry.

The effort of using a white imagination to understand someone whose cultural reality is different may violate your right to cynically not question the bias of those who would pull some quotes without offering the context. With a little courage (the opposite of fear) this would be easy enough to overcome by clicking on the link and reading the whole article for yourself. Unfortunately the forces of sloth will deter many when they see that the insightful New Yorker article is 10 pages long. Much easier to remain complacent with our pre-judgements and let someone else do the reading for us and just lay out for us the "highlights" as they see them.

You may end up in the same place by reading the article for yourself but your opinion will be better informed.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/03/10/080310fa_fact_collins?currentPage=1

:applause: :applause:

Archived