Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Punkish Irishish Music for St. Patty's Day

#98QBKiller

Wow. Not a mention of Dropkick's best work ? You know...Pre Al Barr?

Their first album Do or Die is GREAT and very folksy because of Mike McColgan's voice. Boys on the Docks and Far Away Coast are great tunes from this album.

I listened to some Dropkick earlier today.

The first album with Al Barr isn't that bad either ( The Gang's All Here ). Blood and Whiskey is a good rock tune, 10 Years of Service is a good tune that keeps up with the working class theme. Curse of a Falen Soul is a nice song too.

Even Sing Loud Sing Proud has good tunes (The Gauntlet, The Wild Rover), but does show hints at the trend that they would end up genericizing their sound a bit. Still a fun band, just aren't producing music like they used to.

Most of their tunes are great because you can just really get into the feel of the singalong spirit and makes you want to go to a bar with a group of friends, have some beers, and sing songs like these.

Regarding Flogging Molly... Swagger is a great album. Devil's Dance Floor, Salty Dog, Every Dog Has its Day are great songs. Sentimental Johnny is great too. Lots of accordion and rockin' out in that one.

The Real McKenzies are another band that should be mentioned. Even though they claim scottish heritage, the songs are fun and folksy for the holiday. "Whiskey, scotch whiskey, I need my scotch whiskey, and I'll drink my scotch whisky until the day I die. Whiskey, scotch whiskey, I love my scotch whiskey, I'll drink scotch whiskey until the day I die" is pretty much the lyrics of one song( aptly named Whiskey Scotch Whiskey). Good stuff! :laugh:

But of course the real guys to be mentioned are the legendary Pogues. They pretty much paved the way for the genre to expand into its punk roots we see now.

The Real McKenzies are another band that should be mentioned. Even though they claim scottish heritage, the songs are fun and folksy for the holiday. "Whiskey, scotch whiskey, I need my scotch whiskey, and I'll drink my scotch whisky until the day I die. Whiskey, scotch whiskey, I love my scotch whiskey, I'll drink scotch whiskey until the day I die" is pretty much the lyrics of one song( aptly named Whiskey Scotch Whiskey). Good stuff! :laugh:

Hell yeah man I'll check out The Real McKenzies, sounds like good stuff.

Great bands!! They are my St. Patty Day staples...

If you get the chance, Dropkick is awesome in concert and I just saw Flogging Molly a few weeks ago and they were almost as good.

I really want to see them both live, I keep an eye out to see when they come around the DC area. I know Dropkick were in Richmond last year but I missed them. No where close by scheduled through the spring this year though, maybe in the summer...

Same for Flogging Molly but I def want to see both live :cheers:

But of course the real guys to be mentioned are the legendary Pogues. They pretty much paved the way for the genre to expand into its punk roots we see now.

Meh ... the Pogues were just drunken versions of a classic ... The Dubliners: Irish Rover

And with the Pogues.

The Men They Couldn't Hang were around this time too:

But the first punk band to include Celtic elements were from Scotland, The Skids ... a classic Into The Valley

That's the great Stuart Adamson on guitar.

They are both good.... the band that I find irratating is that Sythian or whatever they are called. They play the exact same set every night and their stalkers fans are nut jobs -- my poor husband is forced to listen to them ever Thursday. I leave as soon as they start playing.

I also absolutely love the Saw Doctors who were at the Birchmere last night. I didn't go but will probably go see them in NYC Paddy's Day weekend. They are from my husbands county in Ireland... they are a little bit older than the other bands

They play the exact same set every night and their stalkers fans are nut jobs

As someone who is an actual Irish person rather than a wannabee :D, I do find a lot of these bands and especially their fans are trying way too hard sometimes.

Be an actual Irish person rather than a wannabee :D, I do find a lot of these bands and especially their fans are trying way too hard sometimes.

are you calling me an Irish wannabe?? I am hardly an Irish wannabe, I am just married to an Irishman so I am sort of sucked into the culture by assocation.

As someone whose mother was born and raised in Ireland, I sometimes find bands that aren't really Irish but try desperately to be Irish kind of a joke (Flogging Molly, Scythian, etc.). There's just something silly about it. Kind of like white rappers or something. :) Dropkick Murphys aren't bad, though. I like some of their stuff.

The Saw Doctors (mentioned above by Paige) are actually from the little town in Ireland my mom comes from. They're pretty good.

And the Pogues are legends. Been listening to them since high school. I'm seeing their show Monday night at the 9:30 club--can't wait.

The Saw Doctors (mentioned above by Paige) are actually from the little town in Ireland my mom comes from. They're pretty good.

My husband is from Galway City...Salthill. So that's how I learned about them. There shows are so much fun. I didn't go last night :mad: waiting to hear how it was.

I am over at least once or twice a year and often drive through Tuam alot. Is she from Tuam?

My husband is from Galway City...Salthill. So that's how I learned about them. There shows are so much fun. I didn't go last night :mad: waiting to hear how it was.

I am over at least once or twice a year and often drive through Tuam alot. Is she from Tuam?

Wow! Small world. I definitely know Salthill. Yeah, my mother's from Tuam, Co. Galway. I'm going back to Galway later this month--a cousin of mine is getting married.

My mother was one of seven kids, and she was the only one who came to the U.S, so naturally I have a lot of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. over there.

My real name is Patrick (naturally). Tell your husband I said hello.

:cheers:

My husband is one of 9! His mom, two sisters and a brother are over there and the rest are here in Boston, NY and DC. It's really nice because my husband has the best of both worlds. His mom is the youngest of 11 so my husband has 51 first cousins! Galway is definitely the best county in Ireland. :)

Archived