Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B. Lloyd - cut or traded?

DirtySkin21

Lloyd will get us nothing in terms of compensation.

1- He sucks.

2- He has a bloated contract.

3- Everyone knows he will be released.

There is no bargaining power in this. Would be different if he actually played at all over the past two seasons. If Randy Moss was only worth a 4th rounder, this guy isn't worth anything.

Randy Moss was never WORTH a 4th rounder. He just wanted to play for a patriots caliber team.

Joe Gibbs always sours on players quickly. I am not saying Lloyd is a beast and he has alot to prove, but he was thrown to like 15 times since he was here.QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding.

First off Joe Gibbs was one of the most flexible coaches in NFL history, he consistently adapted his schemes on offense to accomodate the skills of his players. He stuck with Mark Rypien through his early fumbling issues, adapted his offense from the one he ran with Fouts at the Chargers to make it work for Joe Thiesmann, went from pass heavy to run heavy to use Riggins and the Hogs.

He is the exact opposite of a coach who gives up an a guy early.

Secondly LLoyd was given every opportunity to be productive, He started almost the whole of his first year and I can recall us throwing quick slants and outs to him many times early in games to 'get him in the flow". Even in practice there are reports of the rest of the receivers staying late to work with Campbell but LLoyd cutting out.

Bottom line he was given every opportunity and failed to produce. He may go somewhere else and do better - he could hardly do worse - and good luck to him, but he is done as a Redskin.

We will not be able to trade him because apart from anything else nobody else will pick up his existing deal. He will be a post June 1 cut so we can spread the cap hit over this year and next.

yeah, i heard that too, but im sure he has a few years still left in him.

If we take a chance on McIntosh why not Caldwell?

I agree - just need to make sure the contract protects us against any possible medical issue. I guess it depends on how bad that knee is.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to shopping him around and seeing what kind of interest there is in him, if any. I doubt we'd get him for anything decent so he'll end up sucking up a huge portion of our cap and probably having an improved, but still lackluster season in the new Zorny offense.

Joe Gibbs always sours on players quickly. I am not saying Lloyd is a beast and he has alot to prove, but he was thrown to like 15 times since he was here.QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding.

First off Joe Gibbs was one of the most flexible coaches in NFL history, he consistently adapted his schemes on offense to accomodate the skills of his players. He stuck with Mark Rypien through his early fumbling issues, adapted his offense from the one he ran with Fouts at the Chargers to make it work for Joe Thiesmann, went from pass heavy to run heavy to use Riggins and the Hogs.

He is the exact opposite of a coach who gives up an a guy early.

Secondly LLoyd was given every opportunity to be productive, He started almost the whole of his first year and I can recall us throwing quick slants and outs to him many times early in games to 'get him in the flow". Even in practice there are reports of the rest of the receivers staying late to work with Campbell but LLoyd cutting out.

Bottom line he was given every opportunity and failed to produce. He may go somewhere else and do better - he could hardly do worse - and good luck to him, but he is done as a Redskin.

We will not be able to trade him because apart from anything else nobody else will pick up his existing deal. He will be a post June 1 cut so we can spread the cap hit over this year and next.

Stop talking about Joe Gibbs in the 80's ok. He was a completely different coach 2.0 .

Rock Cartwright was running pretty well when he was given a small oppurtunity to carry the ball under Joey G. He fumbled the ball twice and was never given another opportunity to carry as a RB. How about P. Ramsey, that was soured real fast. I am not saying Ramsey would have been any good anyways, but it just shows a few examples of how his patience on players this time around was much different. His pressure 2.0 was much greater.

So, my point is Lloyd was in the doghouse and given maybe 1 or 2 looks a game from day 1. How could he even get into rhythm?? So you heard he did not stay after practice w/ JC? So what!

Stop talking about Joe Gibbs in the 80's ok. He was a completely different coach 2.0 .

Rock Cartwright was running pretty well when he was given a small oppurtunity to carry the ball under Joey G. He fumbled the ball twice and was never given another opportunity to carry as a RB. How about P. Ramsey, that was soured real fast. I am not saying Ramsey would have been any good anyways, but it just shows a few examples of how his patience on players this time around was much different. His pressure 2.0 was much greater.

So, my point is Lloyd was in the doghouse and given maybe 1 or 2 looks a game from day 1. How could he even get into rhythm?? So you heard he did not stay after practice w/ JC? So what!

Joe Gibbs still used the same philosophies from then that he used now.

You do know Patrick was given the starting job going into '05, and more or less blew it thru preseason and practices?

You seriously want to act like Rock hasn't been given chances? He was here the entire Gibbs tenure, and elevated himself to a special teams stand out and a kick returner. You are going to criticize Gibbs for not elevating Rock over Betts and CP? That's like blasting the Cards for not giving Bryant Johnson enough chances. The dude is stuck behind Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. You are reaching, either because you like Lloyd, or dislike the FO.

In either case, guys like Pierce, Marshall, Clark, Sellers, Heyer, Portis, and Randle El (after a poor '06) were not given up on. Actually neither was Lavar, he chose to leave, and has even since apologized to the org. That is neither here nor there. Bottom line, Gibbs is a players coach, and acting like he gives up on players completely ignores the values, class, and integrity he has always displayed, and been admired for by any one who has worked with him (see any player interview talking about Gibbs). Gibbs and respect go hand in hand, and a respected person doesn't fail his players, his players fail him (teammates have said as much when we were losing this year, like CP and Samuels).

And the number one answer is:

His contract makes him pretty much untradeable.

Now if he weren't a total cap killer and we could trade him, don't rule out that possibility. If we could find a sucker for Adam Archuleta there's probably another one for Brandon Lloyd. Although IMO, Archuleta was a bigger FA bust that Lloyd. I know, I know... to-may-to, to-mah-to.

The guy was given a full season as a starter - in the doghouse from day 1? Staying and practicing with the rest of the wideouts MIGHT have helped him get into that rhythm thing you are talking about, thats so what.

So I guess my point is I think your wrong but more importantly as regards Lloyds future with the Redskins the people who actually count think you are wrong.

Lloyd was given every reasonable opportunity but failed to produce bottom line.

Absolutely Lose lose to let him go, we would get nothing but Negative money again. he needs to earn that big fat pay check he has coming, I don't care if he keeps the pine warm or plays the opposing reciever in practice for the defense, but to let him go NO WAY. trading him is wishful thinking.

He has had two years now to become the "beast" that half of you think he is and has yet to do so. Cut him, take the cap hit and free up the space for 09.

no one here said hes a beast. If you click on the link thats a RAIDERS message board. Thats why I added trade in there.. Cus it could be a posibility.

Hell, with the Patriots not tagging Moss and basically letting Stallworth go... there might be an off situation that they might be interested in him. They already missed their chance to grab Chris Chambers (and the Patriots LOVE to pilfer players within their own division) and if another team throws oodles of money at Moss.... they could be left with Welker and Gaffney vying for the 1 position.

And we all know the Patriots have a well documented reputation for taking "busts" and "washups"....

If there was any potential suitors for Lloyd this year, I figure (if Moss is gone) the Patriots would be interested in sitting down with him.

Hell, with the Patriots not tagging Moss and basically letting Stallworth go... there might be an off situation that they might be interested in him. They already missed their chance to grab Chris Chambers (and the Patriots LOVE to pilfer players within their own division) and if another team throws oodles of money at Moss.... they could be left with Welker and Gaffney vying for the 1 position.

And we all know the Patriots have a well documented reputation for taking "busts" and "washups"....

If there was any potential suitors for Lloyd this year, I figure (if Moss is gone) the Patriots would be interested in sitting down with him.

Great point. Maybe we can pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Or a 2nd next year.

I remember when Michael Westbrook was criticized for beating up Stephen Davis and staying injury prone before Marty came to town. Once Marty got here, he said that was the past and he and Westbrook begin now. I think that will be the same thing with Lloyd and Zorn. Zorn will give Lloyd a chance. However Ceratto may trade Brandon to another NFL team if he feels the Redskins can profit.

Archived