Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have ever you met a deaf person before?

DCsilentSkins92

Sure, my highschool and middle school had quite a few of them. Real nice kids on the whole. If you're meeting one, don't underestimate their lip reading skills. I made real good friends with a deaf kid in high school and he'd always shake his head at me and grin when someone would over-pronounce words for him. One thing I always tried to do was keep eye contact with him so my face wouldn't wander off to the side while I spoke. Sometimes when I'd lose eye contact he'd ask me to repeat myself.

One of my best friends in elementary school (full inclusion) was completely deaf. His lip-reading skills were impecable. So much so that while running and playing outside, I'd often forget to look at him when I was talking, then wonder why he wasn't listening. :doh:

If I'm not mistaken, he had some kind of degenerative condition of the inner ear, as he had been able to hear until age 3 or 4. Because he had been able to hear when he was young, he was actually quite understandable when he spoke, despite the full loss of hearing. He taught me a little bit of sign language too, so we actually found plenty of ways to communicate.

Looking back on those days, I wish I was still that same kid. My best friends were Craig (described above), Chris (who had a spinal condition and was wheelchair bound), Jamie (who died of Leukemia when I really started to get to know him well), Jennifer (who had an open traech), and others whose names I can't recall, but had their own challenges.

You really have to appreciate the innocence, and the non-judgemental love of children. Those kids weren't kids with disabilities to me back then. They were my friends, and I didn't even think about their challenges, or the fact that they were different. I feel like I need to ask myself one question. What in the hell changed? :(

What'd you say?

Anyways, yea, in my cashier days, I had a deaf lady in my checkout lane. I didn't understand why she was acting strange until I heard her voice. I felt kinda bad afterwards for not being more patient with her (she obviously couldn't hear me say the total of what she bought and didn't take notice of the <somewhat hard to read> register total.

Oh well.

You really have to appreciate the innocence, and the non-judgemental love of children. Those kids weren't kids with disabilities to me back then. They were my friends, and I didn't even think about their challenges, or the fact that they were different. I feel like I need to ask myself one question. What in the hell changed? :(

society digs its talons into you as you grow older. they tell you what's normal, what's acceptable, what's different... its a shame, really.

society digs its talons into you as you grow older. they tell you what's normal, what's acceptable, what's different... its a shame, really.

Pathetic actually. It's like now, I try to overcompensate. I'll be "too nice" to someone in a wheelchair, or be too deliberate not to look at someone's prosthetic limb or whatever. I end up discriminating by trying not to discriminate.

Funny story...

My granddad's best friend had his thumb blown off in the war. I was probably five when I met him, which would've made my brother a hair over two.

He shook my hand, and I noticed his thumb was missing. Before I could say anything, he patted my brother on the head and said, "Nice to meet you young men." My brother didn't miss a beat and said, "Nice too meet you too, handicap."

Needless to say, mom's heart sunk when she heard that, but my granddad's buddy actually got a big kick out of it. Almost makes me wonder if acknowledging disabilities (albeit with more tact than my brother did ;) ) rather than trying to pretend they don't exist is the better way to go.

I really don't know. The only thing I do know is that where disabilities are concerned, I like the kid I used to be a helluva lot more than the adult I've 'grown' into.

Played soccer with a deaf guy. His lip reading and speach was impressive. Surprisingly, he seemed to just sense where everybody was. When he first came to the team, I was a bit concerned with him playing midfield because there isn't really a way to say "man on" or "square" or any of the other normal phrases soccer players use to tell other players about positioning. Still, he was very good, especially when we moved him to an outside position where he could have his back to the sidelines some.

Our team used to scrimage against the U.S. national deaf team. We all learned to say sorry and thank you. What's more we got the pretty good player mentioned above to come play for us. :D

Funny story...

My granddad's best friend had his thumb blown off in the war. I was probably five when I met him, which would've made my brother a hair over two.

He shook my hand, and I noticed his thumb was missing. Before I could say anything, he patted my brother on the head and said, "Nice to meet you young men." My brother didn't miss a beat and said, "Nice too meet you too, handicap."

Needless to say, mom's heart sunk when she heard that, but my granddad's buddy actually got a big kick out of it. Almost makes me wonder if acknowledging disabilities (albeit with more tact than my brother did ;) ) rather than trying to pretend they don't exist is the better way to go.

I'll add to that story. My grandma's brother died and his name was Bob. My neice (who is 18 now) was about 3 or 4 when he died. She knew Uncle Bob had died and went up to my Great Aunt and said, "Aunt Snookie (her real name was Ocienda. :doh: ), I'm real sorry that Dead Bob died." Well, my Aunt grabbed her and hugged her as tight as she could and said "Thank you darling, I'm think Dead Bob would appreciate that." Great story.

I have a great aunt and uncle that are deaf. My great aunt actually taught at Galudet(sp?) for a while. Trust me it is both the funniest thing and scariest thing to be in the car with 2 deaf people arguing when one of them is driving.... I know a little sign language, mostly letters, and my aunt is good at reading lips, my uncle not so much but he always carries around a pad and pencil for conversations. He had a brother that was a pro wrestler back in the day but he could hear.

They are just like everyone else, just that it is a little harder to communicate with them and they sometimes need help figuring out what might be so funny or what is going on around them.

knew a few years back. met one last week at dinner. went out to eat with my dad and toward the end of the meal these two people just appeared at our side. a father and a daughter. the daughter asked if we knew where a certain road was that her father was trying to find. so we talked for a few minutes and she would sign everything to him. it was cool to watch.

When I was a freshman at Lake Braddock, I got lost in the catacomb-like hallways and asked an older woman for directions. She looked straight at me and said "I'm deaf." I felt awful.

Why would you feel awful? Is there some way you were supposed to be able to tell just by looking at her that she was deaf? Is it somehow awful to ask a deaf person for directions? She was deaf, not blind, right?

I've met a bunch of people who claimed they were deaf--they were all wearing sweaters from some school called Galudet I've never heard of--but they could hear. Oh, yeah, they could hear just fine.:paranoid:

I am deaf. I graduated from Gallaudet University 3 years ago. I think these people are hearing but are enrolling Gallaudet to learn more about Deaf Culture or they want to become interpreters. Gallaudet offer BA in interpreting.

Why would you feel awful? Is there some way you were supposed to be able to tell just by looking at her that she was deaf? Is it somehow awful to ask a deaf person for directions? She was deaf, not blind, right?

Maybe he feel bad that he doesn't know how to communicate with a deaf person. Pen/paper will do fine. I sometime feel bad whenever I see a blind person with cane walking across the street bec I dont know whether shld I go to that person and help him to walk across or just leave him alone. Most of the time, I would just leave him walking by himself - making me feel bad. Make sense?

I used to hang out with a family of deaf (everyone in the family mom, dad, sisters, were all deaf, except for my buddys wife). Nothing different than hanging out with any other family, except that they occasionally signed. I remember that they could still hear music by the vibrations in the floor, loved Pink Floyd, but who doesn't?

Archived