Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if we traded Betts??

Ant15fromNJ

we missed our window to trade him for anything worthwhile. I think the most we'd get is a 3rd at best right now.

Agreed. We should have traded after he replaced CP and ran for a 1,000 yds. Now he trade value is limited. I don't think we can even get a 5th let alone a 3rd for him.

LOL a third. No chance We would be lucky to get a 5th or 6th for him. He had a terrible year.

Its hard to have a good season when you hardly get any carries.I think the injuries to the O-line and the guys who filled in were better pass then run blockers had alot to do with it.But I do agree hes only worth about a 5th rounder at best right now.

I think we should trade Betts becuase Portis and him are very similar except that Betts catches better but Portis blocks better.

I don´t mean to be rude, but you may be the only person on planet who believes that both a very similar. Betts is far more of the old Gibbs back, than Portis ever was. Both are totally different types of RBs. Nothing against a trade, but than you have to draft a RB or get some in free agency to back up Portis. And if the offense is molded into the WCO, than maybe Betts is much more important than you thought.

we missed our window to trade him for anything worthwhile. I think the most we'd get is a 3rd at best right now.

If there was a time to trade him, it would have been last year. Plus, we just signed him to a 5 year 12 mil deal. He doesn't take up that much cap room. Unless there is dissention in the lockerroom between our backs, we should keep him...

IF we did trade him, I would like to see Rock Get some carries. He's a great N-S runner.

Original Poster......you must be on acid, or from New Jersey.

Wait, I see you are from New Jersey.

Betts was the MVP of this team in 2006. If our coach had half of a football brain left, and didn't call double timeouts, we would have been smarter to trade Portis and his huge contract to get him out of a system he never fit in. We could have improved several positions of need (WR) by trading Portis and his King Kong sized contract.

Sitting our 2006 MVP in 2007? Total idiocy. And look where it got us.

Betts is probably one of only three Redskins that is actually worth what he is paid.

You don't trade core Skins like that......you pray to find more.

:applause:

I would MUCH rather trade Portis than Betts.

Agreed. Portis is a great blocker, but how often is a RB asked to block in the WCO? Not often, I know that. And seriously keeping a running back that costs 5 million more than another RB already under contract with similar skills solely because he is a good blocker is absolutely ridiculous. I want Portis, Betts, and Mason or Betts, Mason, Sellers to be our running backs. You can find good running backs off the street and they come pretty cheap. But trading Betts would be stupid.

Betts was the MVP of this team in 2006. If our coach had half of a football brain left, and didn't call double timeouts, we would have been smarter to trade Portis and his huge contract to get him out of a system he never fit in. We could have improved several positions of need (WR) by trading Portis and his King Kong sized contract.

Betts is probably one of only three Redskins that is actually worth what he is paid.

1st bolded part = And you are asking if the OP is on acid? Portis's huge contract makes him nearly untradeable unless you want us to bite the bullet which being over the cap already we can't do. Oh and Portis > Betts.

2nd bolded part = playoffs? something we didn't get with portis out? Out of three full seasons for portis here we have gotten to the playoffs twice.

2nd bolded part = playoffs? something we didn't get with portis out? Out of three full seasons for portis here we have gotten to the playoffs twice.

Good call I was about to point out the exact same thing. With Betts the full time starter we went 5-11, this year we went 9-7 and made the playoffs. Not exactly sure how Betts was so much better in 06???? Then go back to 05 and Portis finishes the year with 5 100 yard games and we make the playoffs, I think everyone else gets the idea....

1st bolded part = And you are asking if the OP is on acid? Portis's huge contract makes him nearly untradeable unless you want us to bite the bullet which being over the cap already we can't do. Oh and Portis > Betts.

Wild Card by the skin of our teeth in the weak NFC isn't exactly something to aspire to.

Crap teams and organizations do that. We want 10x better.

And the fact that Portis' huge contract cannot be traded shows you how stupid we are to have even gotten into this position.

He is overpaid....underperforms.....and needs to be traded to any other stupid team, who can eat his salary, should such a team that stupid possibly exist.

Portis may be better than Betts. 5x better than Betts?

No way in Hell.

Trim the fat......lose the dead weight.....and lets stop being one of the worst teams in the league.

Betts isn't fast enough to do anything other than run downhill but he does that well. Keep both and sign another FB. Lots of dump offs to RBs and big FBs who run straight at the nearest small DB. Soften 'em up a little or get them off the field.

I just like the idea of a power running WCO. Use the short passes to line up your tough guys against DBs instead of DL/LBers. I'd like to see how many CBs we play against could keep up with Moss etc after being trucked a couple of times by Sellars :D

But hey what do I know I just don't think you should play a contact sport without trying to smash people.

I love the idea of trading players who are essentially riding the bench if we can get tremendous value for them. However, there are two problems with this particular trade:

1) The value of running backs took a nosedive this past season. See Ryan Grant of the packers. Plus there are a number of quality backs around the league who are doing very well. I don't expect any team to give up anything substantial for that position, no matter who it's for. Hell, look at the performance of guys like Larry Johnson, who were touted so heavily in the pre-preseason and underperfomed tremendously.

2) Whether you think so or not, it's a great feeling knowing that we have at least one position, runningback, where we're stocked with valuable depth. IF portis was to go down for some reason, I feel completely fine with Betts stepping in, and that's irreplaceable.

The only trade I'd make at this point is a 2nd rounder, and shawn springs for chad johnson, but that's just me ;)

Wild Card by the skin of our teeth in the weak NFC isn't exactly something to aspire to.

Crap teams and organizations do that. We want 10x better.

And the fact that Portis' huge contract cannot be traded shows you how stupid we are to have even gotten into this position.

He is overpaid....underperforms.....and needs to be traded to any other stupid team, who can eat his salary, should such a team that stupid possibly exist.

Portis may be better than Betts. 5x better than Betts?

No way in Hell.

Trim the fat......lose the dead weight.....and lets stop being one of the worst teams in the league.

NFC won the Super Bowl and in many peoples mind that might not have been the best team in the NFC prior to the playoffs. Not sure how weak they are now. And it was two pretty impressive runs to get us in the wild card and in the end it turns out we had some leeway each time. Crap teams and organizations don't make the playoffs 2 out of 3 years. Also weren't the Giants a wildcard team?

he'll be 29 this year. That means little trade value. RBs have short careers. He's built for the WCO and he's got a VERY cap friendly contract. Keep him, use him more than we did this season and this will extend CP's career. No reason why we can't interchange these two more than we did. If anything we need to rework CPs contract. Isn't he due like 9 mil this coming season?

I'll be honest betts is a good back ,but he is a guy that needs the rock a lot more in the game, that's why we need to get rid of him. With Portis healthy, you need someone that comes in and is hungry enough to make the most of their touches. Plus there are a lot of good backs in the draft this year.

How about trade betts straight up for a 3rd round, or a 4th plus a conditionaly 5th or 6th rounder in 09?

ohh great "core skins" here we go again:doh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You must be a comedian for a living right? Because thats a very very funny joke! CLASSIC.

I like Betts, but you SERIOUSLY think Betts is our MVP?:laugh: Todd Collins is more of an MVP for us than Betts:laugh:

Betts had a horrible season last season, and he had chances..Remember the 3 chances from the 1 against the giants?:doh:

I think you may be the 1 on acid.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You must be a comedian for a living right? Because thats a very very funny joke! CLASSIC.

I like Betts, but you SERIOUSLY think Betts is our MVP?:laugh: Todd Collins is more of an MVP for us than Betts:laugh:

Betts had a horrible season last season, and he had chances..Remember the 3 chances from the 1 against the giants?:doh:

I think you may be the 1 on acid.

Name one player that was better in 2006?

Name one player that was better in 2006?

And we won 5 games in 06..See, as the "MVP" as you say he was, he didn't get us wins..Which of course I know is not all his fault, except for when he had 1 key fumbles against the rams in OT to cost us that game, and 1 against the giants in the last game that was big..Atleast in 07, Todd Collins got us to the Playoffs..And we won more games with Portis starting, then we did with Betts..And winning is all that matters right?

Archived