Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spagnuolo interviewing with Redskins, NY Newsday, interesting NY perspective

Skinsinparadise

Spagnuolo interviewing with Redskins

BY ARTHUR STAPLE | arthur.staple@newsday.com 10:02 PM EST, February 5, 2008 Steve Spagnuolo made sure to stay in town long enough to ride a float in the Super Bowl parade and attend the rally before an estimated crowd of 20,000 fans at Giants Stadium. At both stops, the architect of the Giants' dominating defense heard the same plea: "One more year."

But Spagnuolo left Giants Stadium Tuesday afternoon, hopped a private jet and went to Washington, where he was to meet with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Spagnuolo spoke by phone with Snyder for nearly 90 minutes Monday night after the Giants returned from Arizona.

Several members of the Giants' front office have said privately that Spagnuolo would be foolish to jump at the Redskins job if offered it. Despite Snyder's penchant for sparing no expense, the Redskins already have a full coaching staff in place, having hired Jim Zorn as offensive coordinator and Greg Blache as defensive coordinator within the last month.

"It just doesn't seem like the right situation for a first-time head coach," a team executive said.

But a person close to Spagnuolo pointed out that when Tom Coughlin hired Spagnuolo away from the Eagles, where he spent eight years as a defensive assistant, the Giants already had a full staff of coaches underneath the first-year coordinator. Spagnuolo had tremendous success with a coaching staff already in place.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese said Tuesday: "We'll do everything we can to keep him here. He's obviously been a great asset to us."

Should Spagnuolo, 48, take the only head-coaching job available, the Giants would be left scrambling for a coordinator. Dom Capers, Coughlin's longtime defensive coordinator with the Jaguars, is reportedly mulling an offer to join the Cowboys, but he could still be available. Giants secondary coach Peter Giunta won Super Bowl XXXIV as the Rams' defensive coordinator, so he also would be an option.

Reese was asked about the common practice of teams interviewing assistant coaches from rivals to pick their brains about that team. The Redskins have interviewed former Giants coach Jim Fassel three times, and he is still believed to be the front-runner. The Giants' incredible defensive performance in the Super Bowl, however, could easily have swayed Snyder, who was prepared to talk to Spagnuolo from the moment Joe Gibbs announced his retirement Jan. 8.

"It's an old ploy," Reese said. "You bring a guy in, find out what he knows and try to use it against his team."

The chants for Spagnuolo to stay with the Giants made him smile, and he's heard plenty of pleas from his players. Former Redskin Antonio Pierce led the Giants Stadium crowd in a "Redskins !" chant, and Gibril Wilson said he hoped the warm reception stays with Spagnuolo.

"Spags is an emotional guy," Wilson said. "I hope maybe the fans convinced him he should be here."

But even Coughlin, who said he's spoken with Spagnuolo about the Redskins job, knows an offer would likely mean one of the keys to the Giants' championship would be moving on.

"He's earned the right to explore this opportunity," Coughlin said. "I know he'll make the right decision."

"I wanted to be here to celebrate what we accomplished," Spagnuolo said Tuesday morning, before he and the rest of the team boarded buses to the city for the parade. "Everything else is still up in the air right now."

I knew this was going to happen. I said this in another post. I will show you.

Re: WP: Redskins Will Meet Giants' Spagnuolo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm telling you guys, don't get your hopes up for spags. The Giants are not going to let him go to a divisional Rival.

Rees is going to open the check book on Coughlin and Spags.

Antonio Pierce is all in this guys ear spewing HATE, and telling spags " dont do it "

Its already reports out that people close to him are advising him to wait another year, and wait for a better sitation ( not shure what that means) but never the less, Danny has a bad rep. Fair or Unfair. The media has blown this whole " coaching search " out of porportions. It has made Danny look bad. Its going to be hard to land a quality coach. Its sad.

I like our owner. I think he wants to win just as bad as we do, but he goes about things in a unorthodox way, not WRONG , but unorthodox. That gives him the bad rep.

I realy wish somebody would tell antonio pierce to shut up.

I posted that in another thread yesterday.

I'm telling you guys, don't get your hopes up for spags. The Giants are not going to let him go to a divisional Rival.

I would have to disagree.... Whether you like Spags, or see him as Great Candidate for the HC job.... The G-men will not be able to match the $$$ the DS will throw @ him if he really wants him...period.... That's already been mentioned in other articles and threads....

Additionally, I was just watching a NFL Network - "Dukes" show - where Jamie D. was interviewing O.C. - "won't even attempt to spell his last name"...from the Gints D., and he openly admitted that the "Skins" would be Idiots for NOT attempting to "Snatch him from the Giants...." That was coming straight from one of his own defensive players...

Simply put, his "Stock" is as high as it will ever get... If he wants the job, I beleive it's pretty much his for the taking!

II'm telling you guys, don't get your hopes up for spags. The Giants are not going to let him go to a divisional Rival.

The Giants don't have a choice. If we offer him the job, we'll pay him more than enough, more than an assistant coach could possibly make. It all comes down to what Spags wants to do, not what the Giants want. If he feels like he's ready to be a head coach right now, then he may take the job. Coughlin is not leaving his post anytime soon, which means Spags stock will likely never be higher than it is right now. I'm sure he knows it.

I would have to disagree.... Whether you like Spags, or see him as Great Candidate for the HC job.... The G-men will not be able to match the $$$ the DS will throw @ him if he really wants him...period.... That's already been mentioned in other articles and threads....

Additionally, I was just watching a NFL Network - "Dukes" show - where Jamie D. was interviewing O.C. - "won't even attempt to spell his last name"...from the Gints D., and he openly admitted that the "Skins" would be Idiots for NOT attempting to "Snatch him from the Giants...." That was coming straight from one of his own defensive players...

Simply put, his "Stock" is as high as it will ever get... If he wants the job, I beleive it's pretty much his for the taking!

I hope you right dog.

I think this guy could be a hell of a coach.

I watched him threw out the playoffs on the sidek=lines when the Camera panned his way.

He has this look in his eyes. He is very passionate AND FULL OF ENERGY.

I think we need that.

The Giants don't have a choice. If we offer him the job, we'll pay him more than enough, more than an assistant coach could possibly make. It all comes down to what Spags wants to do, not what the Giants want. If he feels like he's ready to be a head coach right now, then he may take the job. Coughlin is not leaving his post anytime soon, which means Spags stock will likely never be higher than it is right now. I'm sure he knows it.
I doubt he would talk to us if he did'nt want the job.

Danny has got to make it happen.

Im always for a new guy getting a first chance than a guy who was mediocre for 7 or so seasons. This guy knows the nfc east and the team he didnt work for he shut down in the playoffs. I would compare him to tomlin for the steelers. It would be ideal but he might just pull a garret to try to receive a raise.

Spagnuolo isn't exactly a spring chicken at 48 years old, so he would be foolish not to listen to what the Redskins have to offer. Yes, Washington does have a full staff in place but most of the coaches are under contract for only one more year.

What that means is that Spagnuolo will get a chance to coach with the guys currently in place and still have the opportunity to make adjustments as he sees fit. Having the staff in place already will undoubtedly make his transition easier.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Spagnuolo has the benefit of knowing the division in an out. There's something to be said for a coach that has earned his spurs coaching in this division and understanding what it takes to be successful.

Also, as much crap as Snyder gets, there aren't very many jobs as appealing as the gig in Washington. You have an enthusiastic fanbase, an owner that doesn't spare any costs to field a winner and a tradition that's rivaled by only a few teams in the league.

It makes no sense for him to listen to those around him because opportunities like this don't come along often.

you know what I am tired of hearing..."Fassel is still the front runner"

If Fassel was the front runner then snyder wouldn't have waited this long to interview spags....he would have hired Fassel. It is obvious he is looking in another direction, probably partly due to what we have all been saying on ES about how we hate Fassel :)

Fassel is not the front runner, there is also no evidence of dan even talking to fassel this past week....I think it is a 1 man race: Spags.

If the job were to go to anyone else the only other people i can see dan offering it to is mooch or if by some miracle of God he can convince cowher to take the job, which will not happen.

Fassel is dead

Whether Spagnuolo is offered and accepts the job here, or decides to stay in NY, it's a gamble, that being said he has better odds here in Washington. Here's why, and it's quite simple: As we all know very few teams return to their Super Bowl winning form, and I'm willing to bet money that the Giants won't. So, say the Giants have a mediocre season following a championship season...what would be so unusual about that? Nothing, right?

Does Spagnuolo get the same attention he's getting now for a head coaching spot...especially in the same division? Does he get close to the same kind of money that Snyder's probably going to offer him if he's offered the job here? What if the Giants defense is hobbled with injury next season?

However, he comes here and goes 10-6, or even matches this season's record and he's probably going to stick around for at least one more season, and would probably even be declared a success as a first year NFL head coach.

As has been said this is his golden opportunity and he ows the Giants nothing it is not like he has been working up the ranks there he was with them just one year .

At 48 you have to think if he doesn't go for the HC post now when will it come along again ? Next year, 5 Years, 10 years time ? I think he has learnt from his former mentor Jim Johnson in Philly that if you pass up the chance when it comes along it may never come back and someone with his ambition it would always be a regret if he played out his career and only ever made to defensive coordinator ...

I really hope Danny likes what he sees with Spagnuolo. I am impressed with this guy more than any guy we have interviewed. He is young,(for a coach) has a lot of passion. Watching the Superbowl him on the sidelines he looks intense and aggressive. The Skins need a coach that will bring it.

Spagnuolo will be a hell of a coach it think. So sign him Danny!! Gints can't afford it, like we can. Make him a offer he can't refuse!!!

I really hope Danny likes what he sees with Spagnuolo. I am impressed with this guy more than any guy we have interviewed. He is young, has a lot of passion.

I smile every time I see someone post that a 48 year old guy is "young". :D

Mooch was my guy, but I wouldn't be unhappy with the "young" Spagnuolo ... :)

Just please, for the love of God, let this be over soon.

And please let it be ABF.

I have to agree that Fassel is can't be the FRONT RUNNER!!!

He is PLAN B, at best!

For a first year coach to come in and be able to work with what is in place, HERE, would be a bonus!

Zorn to develop Campbell and utilize an offense that will play to his strengths. Bonus!

A defense that has it's core in tact with a DC that knows their strengths and weaknesses. Bonus!

First year NFL HC that is going to need more hours in the day than the 24 that god gives us, obviously needs what is in place here. He needs a 1,2, and 3 year plan. The thing is, he will inherit a good defense and make it better by bringing it up to date. His offense will be simplified to the strengths and protect the weaknesses that all the teams in the NFL already know and have film on. Nothing better than to hire a successful enemy!!

The Art of War.

This really makes too much sense to actually happen.

Snyder is, how you say, a vindictive man. You think he isn't absolutely appalled that a team like the Giants just won the Superbowl? He hates the other teams in the NFC East and he wants a home playoff game ($$$$$$$$$$).

Danny will go out of his way to stick it to a rival team.

Losing Spags will put a damper on the Giants off-season and cut the honeymoon short.

That's skipping all the other logical reasons to bring Spags aboard.

For Spags, why come to Washington?

1) Strike when the iron is hot, my friend. It's funny how the tide in the NFL can turn. Wasn't Russ Grimm a lock to be a head coach? I don't think he even got an interview this year. Gregg Williams? His stock plummeted. Spags' value can only go down. The Giants won't repeat and his name will be lost alongside Cowher next year. The Redskins are a top franchise in all of sports. We have the history, the finances, and the fans that keep us from ever being an Atlanta. That's enticing for any coach.

2) In a way not picking his staff is a blessing (for him). By not picking his staff he's going to get a bye year. If something doesn't work he can fire Blatche and/or Zorn and bring in his guys and it's not really his fault because he didn't assemble the staff.

3) Lastly, the guy has had pretty good success in the NFC East. He was with Philly for eight years and they were the class of the East for most of that time. He just won the Superbowl with the Giants and, in doing so, had to go into Dallas and knock them out. He's best suited for a gig in the NFC East. Coughlin will get an extension and Garrett will be the guy in Big D. Reid is on shaky ground, but who knows when that will fall apart.

Spags wants to be in the NFC East. Coordinators do not stay hot. By not picking his staff he buys himself one year to get the hang of things.

Not to mention the money will be good and there is talent on this team.

It all falls into place...

so i'll probably wake up to find Fassel as our coach. :(

Redskins to Talk to Giants' Spagnuolo

By JOSEPH WHITE,

Associated Press

Posted: 2008-02-03 19:13:37

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Washington Redskins, entering the final stage of their coaching search, tentatively plan to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Tuesday, a person familiar with the selection process said.

The person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the Redskins have not publicly released the names of any candidates, also said Sunday that New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is no longer in the running for the job.

Owner Dan Snyder told reporters in Arizona over the weekend that he hopes to have a coach in place within a week. Snyder is seeking a replacement for Joe Gibbs, who resigned Jan. 8.

When asked about the candidates, Snyder gave a special mention to Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks, who was a Redskins assistant in 2000. Snyder was responding when asked whether it would correct to list Meeks, Jim Fassel and Steve Mariucci as the leading contenders.

"You'd be close," Snyder said, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. "I'm a big fan of Ron Meeks. He's a heck of a coach."

Former San Francisco 49ers and Detroit Lions coach Mariucci was interviewed for the first - and so far only - time on Wednesday, according to the person familiar with the process. Fassel and Meeks have both had at least three meetings with Snyder.

Spagnuolo, widely praised for putting together the defense that got the Giants to the Super Bowl, would be seeking his first head coaching job. The Redskins had to wait until after Sunday's game to formally seek permission to interview him.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

02/03/2008 18:50 ET

That's an interesting endorsement of Meeks, which tells me that he's probably not the front runner.

Danny likes to run things like a covert operation. I think the only information that he'd willingly let go is misinformation.

I hope I'm wrong because Meeks is number 2 on my list.

Is it over yet?

Archived