Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Please Keep These Vinny!" (draft picks thread)

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

For all of you Chad Johnson haters...

What makes you think we will have to give up a #1 or #2 to get Chad Johnson?

Randy Moss...Oakland traded their 4th Round Pick to New England to get him...

The market is different for WRs...and Chad & Rosenhaus will have difficulty making a case for #1 / #2 value...especially when he had a sub-par season. If he we can school him for a #3 or #4...DO IT. I love Santana...but you aren't winning a Super Bowl w/ Santana as the #1.

You might say..."Where was Randy last night, in the Super Bowl?"

Well...he was getting doubled...AND...he is the main reason Wes Welker had 11 receptions...

Chad would open up Santana...ARE...and Cooley would finally be able to have one-on-one with a MLBs and OLBs...

Miami got a 2nd rd pick for Welker and another 2nd rd pick for Chris Chambers.

Plus you can't compare this to the Moss situation. Moss had bascially quit on Oakland. Plus people were saying he'd lost a step. The only way that trade would work is if Moss took a huge pay cut (which he did) in exchange for FA after the '07 season. So the Pats traded a 4th for a 1-yr rental.

Chad Johnson's still rather young, highly productive and he's got 4 years left on his current contract (although I'm sure he'd get a new deal in a trade anyway). Plus with the success Moss had, the market value for a top flight WR will go up.

Let me ask you this - do you think you can get similar / better talent in the 1st or 2nd round?

Guaranteed talent vs. Dr. I don't know?

But that draftee wouldn't be 30 years old or be getting paid 6 mil a year (which is admittedly not unreasonable for a player of his stature, but he also will likely seek a raise if traded).

I'm not necessarily saying we shouldn't consider trading for him, but there is a lot more that goes into trades and trade values than "is he probably going to be better than the draft pick we're giving up?" no matter how often people try to make it that simple. No one in the world thought Randy Moss was going to be worse than the average 4th round pick, or Willis McGahee worse than the average 3rd round pick, but there's a reason that's what their trade value ended up being.

I don't agree that CJ had a subpar season last year but I do still agree that the Bengals, should they try and deal him, will have a hard time getting anything better than a 3rd for him. I think the league is slowly waking up to giving up too much for WR's and RB's. If we can get CJ for a 3rd rounder then I say pull the trigger. Put CJ and ARE as the wideouts, use Moss like Welker and voila. However this is one of those dream scenarios that won't happen so I don't know why I'm typing it but I've already written this much so there's no going back.

Moss would be sick as the slot man. He'd have to be out there almost every down though and Jason would have to develop big time.

My problem with Chad isn't the draft pick. It's the fact that he'd get a mega money contract and we need to save our cap for talent that'll actually be here in 4 and 5 years from now.

The market is different for WRs...and Chad & Rosenhaus will have difficulty making a case for #1 / #2 value...especially when he had a sub-par season. If he we can school him for a #3 or #4...DO IT. I love Santana...but you aren't winning a Super Bowl w/ Santana as the #1.

Well...he was getting doubled...AND...he is the main reason Wes Welker had 11 receptions...

Chad would open up Santana...ARE...and Cooley would finally be able to have one-on-one with a MLBs and OLBs...

Dont use the 4th rounder for Moss arguement. The first time he was traded was during a season in which he had 800 yards and 13 touchdowns and the Raiders gave up 2 1st rounders and Napoleon Harris. Johnson would definately require a first rounder.

We can't close our minds on trading draft picks. If the Patriorts had done that they wouldn't have Randy Moss. Always keep an open mind about possible moves.

Uh..... that's because the Patriots were completely stacked at every other position. Randy Moss was such a pain to the Raiders they were just happy to get rid of him.

I don't agree that CJ had a subpar season last year but I do still agree that the Bengals, should they try and deal him, will have a hard time getting anything better than a 3rd for him. I think the league is slowly waking up to giving up too much for WR's and RB's. If we can get CJ for a 3rd rounder then I say pull the trigger. Put CJ and ARE as the wideouts, use Moss like Welker and voila. However this is one of those dream scenarios that won't happen so I don't know why I'm typing it but I've already written this much so there's no going back.
\

If CJ is there you have to pull the trigger for a third rounder. He is definately better than whoever we get in the third round if we went WR.

Dont use the 4th rounder for Moss arguement. The first time he was traded was during a season in which he had 800 yards and 13 touchdowns and the Raiders gave up 2 1st rounders and Napoleon Harris. Johnson would definately require a first rounder.

But then again...we are discussing Moss vs Johnson...obviously two different levels of talent (just a little)...and obviously two different ages at the time of these trades...

If Chad Johnson came to Washington, some folks here would be happy. No doubt Ocho Cinco is a bad ass WR. My thing with that is that I'm tired of us going out and getting some disgrunted splashy player who ends up coming here and doing absolutely NOTHING for us while eating the team out of house and home. Yeah, you can blame Snyder for offering them crazy contracts (will this aspect of spending change in the near future?), but it still annoys me to no end.

If Chad Johnson came to Washington, some folks here would be happy. No doubt Ocho Cinco is a bad ass WR. My thing with that is that I'm tired of us going out and getting some disgrunted splashy player who ends up coming here and doing absolutely NOTHING for us while eating the team out of house and home. Yeah, you can blame Snyder for offering them crazy contracts (will this aspect of spending change in the near future?), but it still annoys me to no end.

Hopefully, we do the smart thing and use our draft picks on college players.

B Lloyd can tell you all about the "Wide Receiver busts" that happen every year in the draft...

Dude, that's part of the game.

Every team drafts players that bust. That doesn't mean you keep giving picks away on other teams players.

B Lloyd was drafted in the 4th round. That's much less of a risk than say a 3rd + 4th rounder + 10 Million in bonus money:D.

Because Vinny is running the show. He'd trade the 1st overall pick for a bag of Magic beans

• 3 weeks later...

The only trades I want to see are trade downs. If all of the top tier DL talent is gone by 21 then there will be top tier WR and CB talent available. If we don't pick CB then try to trade down about 6 spots and pick up a very low 3rd round pick. We could use the extra 3rd round pick or high 4th pick to get a good G/C for the offensive line.

pick 1 = CJ

pick 2 = Roy Williams

No no, not both picks. I'd do any of those trades. It looks like CJ will stay in Cincy though. Other than that, yes, keep the picks.

But if we are gonna use the west coast offense, I think that fits Moss and ARE very well. They will run quick routes and then have room to dance around and make something happen. They may do very well without a true # 1.

Archived