Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What should have withJon Jansen and the O-Line

PigSkinRodeo

If Jansen comes back and ends up staying healthy and out plays Hayer, then obviously he stays. I'm not entirely confident about that considering the past couple of years. That said, it is quite possibly time for the Redskins to start looking very hard at the oline and maybe get some young fellows in for the future.

The only way you get rid of Jansen, is if you plan to spend two high picks on Oline. One of those has to be a Guard or Guard/Center Hybrid, the other could be a Tackle. Some folks talked about moving Jansen to Guard, but I don't see that happening. Furthermore I think Heyer with conditioning and coaching will eventually beat Jansen out at Tackle (This is assuming Heyer is not reserved as Samuel's replacement this year.) I think one of the two, Wade or Jansen will be gone, but we need help at Guard far more then Tackle. Jansen's been a pretty good Tackle, but he's got an injury mark, but would be expensive to cut as well.

I completely disagree, Samuels is still holding his own against some of the best in the league for at least six games of the season with Osi, Cole, and Ware. Samuels should still be able to hold his own for at least two-three more years and he is rarely injured.

Pretty much. Its easy to blame offensive lineman, because the only time people ever give them individual credit is if they get beaten. If the stone a DE through an entire game, no one even bothers thinking about it.

We only just have enough OL men to get through a season with what we have now. Unless we bring in new players no one from the OL will be going anywhere.

Samuels is great as is Thomas when fit.

Jansen and Kendle are good enough to start.

Rabach better stay healthy...

Heyer is a back up Tackle who now has experience of the real thing. Hopefully he now knows what he needs to do to become a bonafide starter and earn a fat contract.

Lorenzo Alexander potentially concentrating on Guard is intrigueing IMO. If he can learn the point of attack stuff I think he would be a great guard getting into the backfield and laying the wood. Fast feet, good hands and seams willing.

What we need is at least a guard/center this off season AND our vets back.

I think Jansen is done after this year. He's getting too old and having trouble staying healthy and I am predicting that he calls it quits sometime soon. I think Samuels has been overrated and got his Pro-Bowl nod because it is a popularity contest. I also think Heyer is going to be solid in the future, get RThomas healthy, throw in Kendall and Rabach and we have a solid OLine. Once again, just my opinion.:2cents:

If Jansen comes back and ends up staying healthy and out plays Hayer, then obviously he stays. I'm not entirely confident about that considering the past couple of years. That said, it is quite possibly time for the Redskins to start looking very hard at the oline and maybe get some young fellows in for the future.

That's the key.

Here are the ages of our presumed starters:

Samuels 30

Kendall 34

Rabach 31

Thomas 32

Jansen 32

Wade is 31, Fabini is 33.

It is critical to bring young heirs in. Heyer is a good start. The other young guy on the roster is Tavares Washington, who they just signed. He was on the Niners' roster in '06. Who knows if he can play. Kevin Sampson's got 4 years in the league, Pucillo's got 5 years in.

Bring in mid round draft choices, and find other UFA's like Heyer, to groom for the future.

Those that are dissing Samuels are going to be really upset when is gone. They will see how much of an impact on this team he has. Definitely NOT overated! Hypothetically; if the Skins were to get rid of him there would be 28 teams bidding for him.

I think Jansen needs to battle for the starting position with Heyer. May the best man win. Regardless of who starts at the RT position, the backup will be a high quality backup.

Thomas has been hurt frequently lately also. I really think we need to get a young guy in here to groom and take his place in case his injuries are an annual reoccurence.

Rabach - no problems there - once again maybe a young solid backup needs to be groomed just in case.

LG - I think we need to find someone better. I didn't care for Kendall like so many others. I thought that both Guard positions were our weak points this past year. Kendall is not going to be starting material for very long. I think he is already on a downward spiral. Maybe he just had a hard time learning the new system on such short notice, but regardless, we really need a solid young body there.

I think they current starters (Rabach, Thomas, Kendall, Samuels, Jansen) should remain for this coming season unless there is a cap situation that needs to be resolved.

However, this HAS to be the year that we begin spending high draft picks to bring in some eventual replacements for these guys (all in their 30s). I'm happy with Heyer at one of the tackle positions, but we need to have some young depth along the line since we will experience more injuries!!

If we can pick up a stud tackle and stud interior lineman this year to learn the ropes and back these guys up, we'll have 60% of our eventual starting OL in place before these guys are over the hill.

First thoughts after looking at your O-line is that I CANNOT stand Samuels. I know he goes against the best DE's most of the time, but with the money we pay him he should in return win over half the battles. Which he DOESN'T!!

Oh, as for Jansen, get rid of him unless it doesn't make sense cap/money-wise.

Are u talking about Chris Samuels 5 time pro bowl LT for the Redskins? If so, im not quite sure what your complaint is.

Jansen played a season with two broken thumbs and still did better than most. even when its time for him to give up the starting spot he should still be on the team as his advice is crucial to the younger guys.

plus Jansen is one of the coolest Skins ive met, so im biased.

Randy Thomas has had 2 season enders in the short time he's been here as well, we need some o-line help and d-line help, Pete Kendall wasn't bad but he got banged up and he's getting older too....

They are all getting older. I like Jansen just fine. Heck I like all the players who should be starting just fine, but age becomes an issue and even the toughest people get banged up and slow down.

We just need to get younger. Not because the guys we have are shot, but they are starting to show their age (like me:silly:) and can go down at any moment like we saw last season.

Jansen should be here another year. Even if they wanted to part with him his salary cap hit doesn't look like it would allow it to happen.

I agree with those who would say that this unit would be a top ten line when healthy.

The line is old though and thin, and we need young depth/prospects especially at guard. Heyer seems promising at tackle. Have to start getting younger up front but I think the type of players we need can be found in the mid rounds of the draft. I think this is a judgement year for Jansen. If he can't bounce back then the team will have to see what they have with Heyer or move in another direction completely.

I think Jansen has to go. He just isn't as reliable because he gets hurt all the time. It seems like season ender after season ender. And I don't like Chris Samuels either. I just don't think he's as good as people say he is. Pro Bowl lineman are pretty much popularity. Once they get voted in, they get in most of the time after that because people think "Oh, he was there last year so he must be Pro Bowl caliber."

No one asked you.

Per http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Cut_Trade_Savings.htm

Cutting him would cost us more than keeping him.

Assuming this is true just reinforces my feelings on the subject. Jansen is on the downside of his career and hopefully Heyer can become the long term answer. Unfortunately we need help all along the offensive line. Kendall is getting old and does not have the athleticism to pull (may not matter in our new offense). Randy Thomas is great but has been having trouble battling injuries and with age that only gets worse. We need an athletic G, preferably one who can play both sides, maybe even backup C. If not we need a backup C as well. Pucillo was great in Jumbo a year or two ago but I don't trust him protecting Jason.

I would love to see our entire starting line return. Jansen can battle it out with Heyer in preseason/camp. I assume Jansen would win if he's healthy so that would make Heyer our swing tackle (backing up both sides). A first day pick on a G would clean up our line situation for at least another year. That gives us time to decide if Heyer is the answer or a career backup. At that point we can select an OT on the first day of the 2009 draft to replace Jansen.

All I know is I see him get beat ALL THE TIME and most of the time it results in momentum busting (Samuels)!! Simple as that...

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you to. It may seem like "All the time" because you only notice o-linemen when they get beat. If you go back and watch the games, you'll see that he gave up maybe 4 or 5 sacks all year. And I bet half of those are a result of Campbell holding onto the ball too long. I remember one in particular against Miami when Samuels gave Jason Taylor a quick cut block thinking that he only needed to occupy him for 2 seconds tops, but JC never threw the ball.

Those that are dissing Samuels are going to be really upset when is gone. They will see how much of an impact on this team he has. Definitely NOT overated! Hypothetically; if the Skins were to get rid of him there would be 28 teams bidding for him.

LG - I think we need to find someone better. I didn't care for Kendall like so many others. I thought that both Guard positions were our weak points this past year. Kendall is not going to be starting material for very long. I think he is already on a downward spiral. Maybe he just had a hard time learning the new system on such short notice, but regardless, we really need a solid young body there.

I completely agree with your statement about Samuels. People are spoiled and have forgotten what it was like before he got here. When we drafted him, people said that we wouldn't have to worry about LT for 10 years and so far that's been the case. People forget what it was like before he was here and the trash we tried over there year after year. Remember Shar Pourdanesh?

Kendall was great this year given that we had no one else capable of starting at LG, but I feel like he didn't really fit our personality and scheme. Maybe that changes with a new coaching staff, but I would also like to see us try to grab a potential starter in the first day of the draft.

Archived