Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Funny Thing About Those WP Guys :)

TK

I respect that opinion. But in this case, if Dan cowering to fan reaction changed his decision, I'm all for it.

Amen. I respect the opinion, too, but this was an emergency situation where we HAD to avoid disaster and abandon the Fassel idea. (God, what a joke of an idea... Fassel as head coach. Still can't even believe it.)

Just because the team can't win anything on the field doesn't mean the Skins are a losing franchise.

1.fanboy

Someone who is hopelessly devoted to something and will like anything associated with that particular thing.

That damn fanboy can't tell the difference between winning and profitable.

I don't see anyone on the horizon with any kind of bona fides on the outside that wants this job.

Fassel is a retread who has been out of the HC game for the past 4 years.

Schwartz interviewed around the NFL and didn't get any of the jobs that were out there.

Meeks is a 53 year old career assistant with the resume of being a DC with a famous DC as the head coach. So, whose defense was it, his or Tony's? :)

These guys aren't the stuff of legend.

Even among mediocre hires like Jim Mora there was a reluctance to go too far in the process with Washington. As soon as Seattle gave him some assurances of a place after Holmgren leaves, Mora cut ties and flew back home.

Lots of guys dont get Head Coaching jobs the first time or 2 they interview, Gibbs waited like 5 years from his first interview before he got hired. Marvin Lewis was passed over quite a few times he even had an owner block his hire. Dungy was passed over a couple of times before getting teh job in Tampa the curent head coach of the Texans was not hired by a few teams till the texans hired him

Like said before. If dan is listening to fans during this coaching search. I have lost all respect for him.

He should not listen to us. If he feels Jim Fassel is the best for the job,than he should hire him.

That took guts to post. I posted a thread earlier about an article on NFL.com in which they referenced Redskin fan's reactions to a possible signing of Fassell and some felt very passionate about it.

That is why we do not elect presidents by popular vote.

It is not that complicated a choice....You have the respect of the players...you have just gone through a really tough season....There is a deep connection between players and staff. The team has come together and was optimistic about the next season. Why would you blow something like this up? Why not let it ride with GW at the helm?

It was really hard for this team to build to this point.

I cant wait to get the whole story as to why the little guy did not hire GW upon satisfying the Rooney Rule.

Owning a team is more than pocketing the cash....What makes our Skins francise so awesome is it's history and Fan dedication. Any good manager knows when to deligate responsibility. You dont want an employee who just nods and kisses your ass all the time (fassel,vinnie). If you dont know football let somebody who does run the team(ie. gw, any good GM).

Well for starters he is doing a thourough Job in the search of our next head coach. Second what gives you any indication that Williams knows what he is doing?

Well for starters he is doing a thourough Job in the search of our next head coach. Second what gives you any indication that Williams knows what he is doing?

you are funny. The guy is interviewing defensive guys like Schwartz(gw disciple), and Meeks(cover 2), and then go to Mora and then Fassel. Then he interview Qbs coaches and Rex Ryan trying to put a staff together. Snyder is the joke :doh:

Yep. Anything less than hiring GW a minute and a half after Gibbs retired is insanity.

The only possible candidate that did not throw us into turmoil was the possibility of Cowher coming. Everything else is trash. Fassell with his playoff appearance and SB appearance, trash.

JLC in his blog & Maske on the Cowherd show have both claimed that Dan has now backed off of Fossil due to fan reaction. Has anyone else noticed if it's just the WP citing the negative fan reaction, or are the national media guys mentioning this as well? And are the national guys referencing the WP if they're mentioning it, or are they just saying it as well?

I have only heard negative fan reaction from local guys. I am suspicious that Snyder changed his mind and issued the statement that the Skins had not officially chosen anyone for the job. This is also backed up by the embarassing description of the interviews with the coordinators which were rumored to be tied to Fassel building a staff. They said they weren't tied to any coach which is strange given the fact that any HC is usually afforded the freedom to staff his own people. Why start the staffing process if you don't have a HC in mind. That is why I believe that Fassel was the choice until the fan reaction brewed up. Now the whole process is in flux and they will wait until after the Super Bowl. Probably won't hurt, but it is bad for all the existing coaches if they don't get hired.

JLC in his blog & Maske on the Cowherd show have both claimed that Dan has now backed off of Fossil due to fan reaction.

Based on the continued employment of Vinny, I doubt seriously that the fan base's reaction to anything is stongly influencing Dan Snyder.

When the fans quit buying tickets, Jerseys, $5 beers, the NFL Sunday ticket, watching the Skins game on local TV and generally abandoning any monetary support of the Redskin franchise, then it would probably get a reaction from Mr. Snyder. Until then, I don't think it affects his decisions on anything except the number and size of his bodyguards.

I just remembered the Bernie Bickerstaff hiring done by Abe Pollin. Wasn't that was the year he picked up Mitch Richmond too for Hamilton or letting go of Weber? People were very upset by this hire and in the end the fans and pundits like Mike Wilbon were right that this was a bone headed move. I understand the need to follow your muse, but Snyder has been acting like Dr. Evil here and seems to lose sight of the bigger picture. He wants to burn a hole through the ozone layer with a "laser beam" and ask for "one million dollars" when all the movie watchers are laughing at him. He tries to kill Powers using the unnessarily slow moving mechanism and shouts "zip it, zip it, zip it" to the people who aren't listening. So, I think he may be smart to listen to fans. A majority of people on this board were against the Deion Sanders pick and the Spurrier hire and we were right. He would have been smart to listen to the fans and smart people on this board who do seem to know what they are talking about with capology etc.

I understand the need to follow your muse, but Snyder has been acting like Dr. Evil here and seems to lose sight of the bigger picture. He wants to burn a hole through the ozone layer with a "laser beam" and ask for "one million dollars" when all the movie watchers are laughing at him. He tries to kill Powers using the unnessarily slow moving mechanism and shouts "zip it, zip it, zip it" to the people who aren't listening. So, I think he may be smart to listen to fans. A majority of people on this board were against the Deion Sanders pick and the Spurrier hire and we were right. He would have been smart to listen to the fans and smart people on this board who do seem to know what they are talking about with capology etc.

...I guess the question is, which is Dr. Evil and which is my Cousin Vinny?

Like said before. If dan is listening to fans during this coaching search. I have lost all respect for him.

He should not listen to us. If he feels Jim Fassel is the best for the job,than he should hire him.

maybe he's taking heed to the fans' opinions because he knows how much money he may lose if he tears the team apart one more time after what everyone has been through this past year...

If I believed he actually had real football knowledge I could possibly agree. But seems to me that he pretty much is a really rich guy playing his real life version of Fantasy Football.

And so yay if we have caused him back off from the Fassel hire. Way to go ES. :)

I agree with a few others on this one. I don't think Dan Snyder changed his mind based on fans reactions. Later in the day reports from the Post seemed to indicate that it was they who were backtracking on earlier reports that Fassel would be hired. Looking at several reports leads me to believe that they jumped the gun, then the fans followed, then they had to backtrack. Mind you, that didn't stop them from gaining some publicity with their poll. To me, a quick thinking way to draw upon the fans resistance to the Fassel idea to get some of their own publicity.

Now the whole process is in flux and they will wait until after the Super Bowl. Probably won't hurt, but it is bad for all the existing coaches if they don't get hired.

I was not excited by the potential hire of Fassel but if thats what was thought to be the best choice I would - and will - support it. If it is true that Danny has had second thoughts and chnged his mind because of fan reaction then all I can say is God help us. If anybody at Redskins Park takes any notive of even some of the half baked suggestions and 'thoughts' that get posted on this board we are all doomed.

What next they take a fan vote by internet on what play to call every first down?

For Gods sake hire a GM who knows what they are doing and then let the football people make football based decisons.

The good news for the current staff is that the longer this gets dragged out the more chance they get retained whomever gets the gig because there will be very few viable candidates not already under contract to take those roles.

Danny is getting himself backed into a corner here and turning what was the most appealing open HC job in the NFL into one which will have every candidate thinking long and hard about if they really want to make the move to this situation.

For the record I'm now of the mind we should get Russ Grimm on the phone and beg him to take the job.

Archived