Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'you are what you eat' - Earthlings - a disturbing look at animal abuse

footballhenry

I had always ate meat. In fact, I was addicted to Fast Food and eating meat for much of my life until about 6 months ago. Having many vegetarian friends around me, as well as naturally wanting to do what is best for my body I began questioning my own diet and ways in which I can improve.

To make a long story short, I have been successful at maintaining a vegetarian diet for the majority of the past 4-5 months (excluding Thanksgiving, when I decided to eat a little meat). The next step in the evolution of my diet I feel is to be vegan. I'm not here to tell people what to do, nor to judge their own actions. But I am posting this thread to raise awareness to a very disturbing and hard to watch film by the name of 'Earthlings'.

This documentary is a film exposing the brutality, and violence used against the animals that we use for food, clothing, science, experiments, etc.

It is a film that has deeply affected my outlook on our food industries, and the horrendous reality that we all clamor to ignore. I am interested to start a discussion as to the reality of our present-day food industry, and the mistreatment of animals.

As a human being, do you care when an animal is mistreated, abused, tortured, and maimed for the purposes of food, clothing, etc.??

Do you ever question the ethics of torturing and slaughtering hundreds of animals for mass consumption??

The methods in which these sentient beings are killed are barbaric and truly satanic. I think we as citizens owe to ourselves and society to become knowledgeable of these things and quite burying our heads in the sand.

This is a tough topic for many, and this film is incredibly hard to watch. Still, this country is in dire need of brave souls that can look at this corruption and recognize that it needs to be changed.

Have the bravery to watch this film, educate yourself, and make a life-altering positive change if you choose so.

Earthlings

(youtube link, part 1 of 3...part 2 and 3 should be linked on youtube)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxKnys7Ryw

The Three Stages of Truth

1. Ridicule

2. Violent Opposition

3. Self-Evident Acceptance

Meat is murder...

Tasty, tasty murder.. :drool:

Do I really care what happens to the animals that are raised for slaughter? Not really, as long as the practice doesn't cause any ill effects to the end consumer (such as feeding cows their own meat causing mad cow disease, etc.).

I have been a vegetarian for close to twenty years; I became one in 1989. I am not a vegan, though I was at one point, and I haven't had too many issues with sustaining my diet. Part of the reason I did become a vegetarian was due to the questions and issues you raised in your post, and the fact that I worked, for a short period, in a chicken plant (while going to school in Arkansas) helped push me along the path to a meatless diet.

Good for you, Footballhenry: I think you made a fine choice in your dietary change.

If you choose to be a vegetarian over concern for your own personal health I understand and applaud you. However, if you choose to do it because you sympathize with what you eat and believe that your own choice of food will have some sort of a positive influence on the way everyone else eats you really leave me no choice but to laugh.

Honestly, I've never understood why canibalism is considered the harshest taboo. Once you stop and think about it, we're just meat like any other animal. On a desert island, I've got no qualms with cooking my dead friend over an open fire. :hungry:

Indeed. However, you must always remember that civility demands that you wait for at least 15 minutes before turning on a friend.

If you choose to be a vegetarian over concern for your own personal health I understand and applaud you. However, if you choose to do it because you sympathize with what you eat and believe that your own choice of food will have some sort of a positive influence on the way everyone else eats you really leave me no choice but to laugh.

And why is that? What is so funny about believing "that your own choice of food will have some sort of a positive influence on the way everyone else eats."

Is there something "HAHA" about desiring to have a positive change and effect through diet?

I fail to see the lulz.

Being omnivorous, meat is part of my diet. Because meat is a living creature, it has to die for me to eat it. How it dies is of no concern to me. That in and of itself is inherently cruel, but it is indeed a fact of life at it's most basic.

Obviously I would not want to see undue cruelty, but if it happens, it's more of a condemnation of the people who are being cruel than of meat eating in general. And that is their problem, not mine. I can't control it, and I am not willing to give up meat because of the inability of the low wage earning factory worker to act like a decent person.

Besides, I'm allergic to most vegetables.

~Bang

I would much rather kill what I eat , I killed two geese and three ducks this morning.

I do not believe man fought and clawed his way to the top of the food chain to eat carrots and lettuce.

If we are not supposed to eat animals , then why are they made of meat?

I dabbled with the idea of becoming a vegetarian. However, strictly for health reasons (although I do take issue with unnecessary cruelty to the animals). However, I love to exercise, and my ability to do so declined rapidly. In addition, retaining muscle mass became very difficult. That, coupled with the fact that there is now evidence that soy can have adverse effects for men (particularly in the bedroom), and I had to go back to eating chicken breasts. If I was ridiculously wealthy and could have someone plan out my meals for me and prepare them everyday, sure, I'd do it, but I don't have the time or the inclination to plan every meal to ensure that I get the necessary protein my body needs from non-meat products.

Look in your mouth. You have teeth made for eating meat. Your body needs the things that meat provides to keep it healthy. So really it comes down to either you going out and hunting down and carving up all your own food, or you pay somebody else to raise it and slaughter it for you. I'll happily pay for that service. Are they cruel to the animals? I don't know. Could be. Anytime you end an animal's life purely to consume them, I'd say that in and of itself is kind of cruel. It's the way of the world, however.

I dabbled with the idea of becoming a vegetarian. However, strictly for health reasons (although I do take issue with unnecessary cruelty to the animals). However, I love to exercise, and my ability to do so declined rapidly. In addition, retaining muscle mass became very difficult. That, coupled with the fact that there is now evidence that soy can have adverse effects for men (particularly in the bedroom), and I had to go back to eating chicken breasts. If I was ridiculously wealthy and could have someone plan out my meals for me and prepare them everyday, sure, I'd do it, but I don't have the time or the inclination to plan every meal to ensure that I get the necessary protein my body needs from non-meat products.

Hmm, I have never heard of soy having any adverse affects. And especially with the consideration that soy has been eaten by Asians for years. Do you have sort of article to cite?

Soy has always been considered one of the best sources of protein, as well as being a complete protein. Personally, I eat Morning Star products which packed with tons of protein, especially the "burgers" and TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein).

I used to workout five days a week, including biking three days a week, and never had issues with physical strength or muscle retention. (My routine had some cardio, but a fair amount of strength training...) In fact, many athletes are vegetarian and they don't have such issues with muscle retention. Part of the secret is having a good diet and knowing what to eat for your workout routine.

Look in your mouth. You have teeth made for eating meat. Your body needs the things that meat provides to keep it healthy. So really it comes down to either you going out and hunting down and carving up all your own food, or you pay somebody else to raise it and slaughter it for you. I'll happily pay for that service. Are they cruel to the animals? I don't know. Could be. Anytime you end an animal's life purely to consume them, I'd say that in and of itself is kind of cruel. It's the way of the world, however.

Have you actually looked at the teeth of carnivores? We do not have the teeth, nor the digestive tract of such animals. We are not designed as carnivores, which is why we are omnivores. And, if you believe in evolution, our species has not be carnivores for years. If you believe in Creationism, then mankind was originally created for a vegetarian diet.

I just stating this on principle. :-) Your diet is your choice!

While I admit there can be more humane ways of dispatching the animal, they are bread for slaughter and consumption.

They are a food source. Personally, in the end I don't really care. As long as they end up as a juicy steak or burger in my hand and mouth, that's about it.

If we want to get into the spiritual aspect of this, meat is not really murder since to commit murder the thing would have to be human and posses a soul, to which an animal has neither.

1mur·der Pronunciation: \ˈmər-dər\ Function: noun Etymology: partly from Middle English murther, from Old English morthor; partly from Middle English murdre, from Anglo-French, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English morthor; akin to Old High German mord murder, Latin mort-, mors death, mori to die, mortuus dead, Greek brotos mortal Date: before 12th century 1: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought

I mean if one wants to get into the crazy, we murder every day, since we itch our skin and our skin is a living tissue and by doing so, removes the skin cells which die.

If you want to go the veggie tales route, cool, but don't push your religion on those of us who want meat.

And why is that? What is so funny about believing "that your own choice of food will have some sort of a positive influence on the way everyone else eats."

Is there something "HAHA" about desiring to have a positive change and effect through diet?

I fail to see the lulz.

The statement I made isn't necessarily always the way I look at it but there are some people whose views I consider simply unrealistic. Besides, its not the desire I think is comical... its the means.

Becoming a vegetarian in protest of animal cruelty and/or unsanitary conditions is an ultimately futile act. There are simply too many people who enjoy eating meat for this kind of action to really be at all noteworthy to the masses. Furthermore, vegetarianism is normalized to the point where it is easily ignored by most regardless of the reasons for it. It's just a form of lazy activism... there are other things you could be doing to actually help spark a change.

Becoming a vegetarian because you find killing and devouring another sentient being disgusting or morally reprehensible is just a joke. Now, I can understand if you do it for religious purposes (because there's obviously something more at stake in that case) but you're simply just thinking about it too much. You have to realize that in the grander scheme of things people are animals and animals will eat other animals to survive.

Read about the dangers of Soy and Tofu while you modify your dieting habits.

My grandparents and above were all farmers. Meat isn't bad, and all meat isn't treated like your little Earthlings propaganda video describes.

Again, I would like to see this research. Soy protein has been eaten for years, and I have heard of little, if any, adverse affects.

Well, factory farming is often the focus of these sort of videos.

Archived