Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does religion matter to you at all in politics?

Zguy28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Yes. As a non-Christian I accept that 99% of all candidates will be Christian, and that's fine. Normally I don't even think about that when I vote. But if one is TOO Christian (or at least, evokes his Christianity very often when campaigning), that scares me. Huckabee scares me, for example. I like to think our leaders think of themselves as Americans first and Christians/Jews/Muslims/whatever second. But this is especially true for Christians, because they have much more power than the rest of us already.

Sorry Christians. :)

For me it is an element that I look at in a candidate, but it is not the be-all and end-all of what I look at in any way. I use it as a way to try and determine how faithful an individual is to the ideals they claim to believe in, and what those ideals may actually be.

For example.... if I were to see a supposedly devout RC candidate who had 4 marriages, or 2 children out of wedlock, or something similar, I'd suggest that they really weren't necessarily interested in backing their purported beliefs with actions and it would put many of their other platforms in question in my mind.

Yes. As a non-Christian I accept that 99% of all candidates will be Christian, and that's fine. Normally I don't even think about that when I vote. But if one is TOO Christian (or at least, evokes his Christianity very often when campaigning), that scares me. Huckabee scares me, for example. I like to think our leaders think of themselves as Americans first and Christians/Jews/Muslims/whatever second. But this is especially true for Christians, because they have much more power than the rest of us already.

This is exactly how i feel.

I dont want my leaders basing their decisions on a 2000 year old book loaded with contradictions.

I second this.

EDIT: Third this. Sorry PleaseBlitz. :cheers:

Im not a militant atheist like some so it doesnt matter to me.

I'm pro life from born to prison... death penalty only if you have life already.

I want gays to be able to get married and enjoy the pain that is divorce :) like me. I've been married twice, who am i to tell someone they'd ruin the sanctity.....

Free speech = hard to listen to... you have to put up with it or its not real...

Does anybody believe any of the candidates are hypocritical with regards to their professed religions?

In other words, do their actions not reflect what they claim for their faith?

I'd say preemptively starting a war should be scratched off of most true Christians' list of options as President.

"Blessed are the peacemakers"

I'd say preemptively starting a war should be scratched off of most true Christians' list of options as President.

As well as every Republican who wants to cut taxes for the rich, and reduce spending on programs for the poor. Oh yea, that's every republican.

Blessed are the Poor, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Premise 1: Cutting social programs and reducing hurts the poor by enhancing the rich/poor gap and making the poor's poverty worse.

Premise 2: The Bible says blessed are the Poor.

Conclusion: Republicans love the poor. They want the poor to be blessed. It's the Democrats that hate the poor by attempting to steal their blessings.

:D

P.S. Premise one is fatally flawed, and thus your criticism of Christians that want to reduce taxes and trim spending is misplaced. :)

I would agree. That's why I stated yesterday that if Huckabee truly wants this nation to reflect Biblical values, its foreign policy of retaliation to attacks would have to go as well. :2cents:
As well as every Republican who wants to cut taxes for the rich, and reduce spending on programs for the poor. Oh yea, that's every republican.

I agree. But the quotation is "Blessed are the poor in spirit..."

What about Obama, who claims to be Roman Catholic yet voted to allow partial birth abortion? Not quite the normal catholic stance eh?

By the way, does anybody know when he became catholic? Wasn't he part of a Muslim youth group?

Yes but just a little if the candidate is sound on the scientific side of things.

Yes it is a priority number one if the candidate is Huckabee.

Do not believe in Evolution = not fit for office

What does not believing in evolution have to do with being President?

I would agree. That's why I stated yesterday that if Huckabee truly wants this nation to reflect Biblical values, its foreign policy of retaliation to attacks would have to go as well. :2cents:

I agree. But the quotation is "Blessed are the poor in spirit..."

What about Obama, who claims to be Roman Catholic yet voted to allow partial birth abortion? Not quite the normal catholic stance eh?

By the way, does anybody know when he became catholic? Wasn't he part of a Muslim youth group?

Yea, Poor in spirit, poor... I think its the same. :)

As to Obama, I think you are missing something, so let me try to explain. I am Roman Catholic, but I am also pro-choice (edited that!). Its not because I'm hypocritical. Its because I am able to say that I have my own views that I apply to myself, BUT at the same time I realize that the laws of the US should not reflect any religion's beliefs. So, would I ever advocate an abortion of a child of mine, NO. But, I also believe that the Constitution says people have a right to privacy and that abortion falls within that right. Not hypocritical, just complex. :2cents:

Just one question for you too, Z. I think you agree with me about the treatment of the poor and the failure of the Republican party (in general) in that regard. But, do you think that when you weigh the values of religion that you would like to see instilled in the US government, you rank abortion as the number 1 issue? And if so, why? Why is abortion more important than being generous to the poor?

What does not believing in evolution have to do with being President?

In terms of impact the science policy is up there with foreign relations, economy, etc.... (and rapidly rising)

America simply cannot afford to carry on the religion-driven science policy, especially in the context of the religion-science relationship as we see it in issues related to Creationism.

In terms of impact the science policy is up there with foreign relations, economy, etc.... (and rapidly rising)
Again, what does evolution have to do with it?

Does not believing in evolution mean you automatically despise the EPA, don't believe in global warming, and want people to suffer needlessly from disease?

Again, what does evolution have to do with it?

Does not believing in evolution mean you automatically despise the EPA, don't believe in global warming, and want people to suffer needlessly from disease?

A statement "I do not believe in Evolution" by a Presidential candidate is more than just a statement of belief, it is a statement of policy.

There is no conflict between the science and the religion. As a Christian you do not have to reject Evolution. We need a President who understands and champions that approach. Our country needs it.

Yea, Poor in spirit, poor... I think its the same. :)

As to Obama, I think you are missing something, so let me try to explain. I am Roman Catholic, but I am also pro-choice (edited that!). Its not because I'm hypocritical. Its because I am able to say that I have my own views that I apply to myself, BUT at the same time I realize that the laws of the US should not reflect any religion's beliefs. So, would I ever advocate an abortion of a child of mine, NO. But, I also believe that the Constitution says people have a right to privacy and that abortion falls within that right. Not hypocritical, just complex. :2cents:

Good answer. Personally, I believe Roe should be overturned, but not to outlaw abortion outright (although that would make me happy!). I firmly believe that it is a State matter and not federal at all.
Just one question for you too, Z. I think you agree with me about the treatment of the poor and the failure of the Republican party (in general) in that regard. But, do you think that when you weigh the values of religion that you would like to see instilled in the US government, you rank abortion as the number 1 issue? And if so, why? Why is abortion more important than being generous to the poor?
They are both important issues, but I don't rank abortion as my primary issue with regards to elections anymore since I believe it is being used as a perpetual political platform issue to get votes and will never be resolved.

Also, it usually ranks higher because death is always "permanent" while being poor always is not. Hard to explain it with out coming off as not caring about the poor. Maybe if I said, the unborn victims of abortion are the poorest at all, because they have nothing, not even the opportunity to live.:2cents:

Archived