Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you think about getting a WR in FA/trade rather than draft?

The Fourth King

With the emergence of Randle El as a threat this season, I don't think WR is our biggest priority. Remember, teams that win have proven they can win through drafting players and building them up. We have had nothing but problems when we bring players via free agency. We need young talent and for once, we have more that 1 early round draft pick. Don't start the philosophy of trading our picks away yet again.

I'm not exactly sure what the prevailing wisdom is, but I *think* that a rookie WR has a better shot at real contribution than an offensive/defensive lineman, or quarterback.

Funny you should say this as I've always been under the exact opposite impression. I'm not calling you out as I don't have any research to back my opinion - just stating what I've always *thought*.

IMO, rookie WRs are never a sure thing. It seems like some random 3rd round WR ends up being the top rookie performer while a lot of 1st rounders flame out. Even Calvin Johnson never lived up to his hype.

On the other hand, it seems like you can find quality offensive and defensive linemen in the later round, but again all I'm basing that on is the performance of Monty, Golston, and Heyer over the past two year.

That's why I'd use free agency or trade to go after a WR if possible. (Although, BLloyd is an obvious example where that strategy didn't pan out.)

I dont want to draft or go after a free agent WR. If Mix can get more PT i think our WRs are fine. BUT if i had decide, id rather draft James Hardy or Early Doucet.

I totally agree, I think we should give Anthony Mix a shot. He did really good on special teams and deserve to compete for a WR spot this coming year.

RED06

With the emergence of Randle El as a threat this season, I don't think WR is our biggest priority. Remember, teams that win have proven they can win through drafting players and building them up. We have had nothing but problems when we bring players via free agency. We need young talent and for once, we have more that 1 early round draft pick. Don't start the philosophy of trading our picks away yet again.

Think about in Free Agency

Marcus Washington

Shawn Springs

Fred Smoot

Cornelius Griffin

Casey Rabach

Randle-El

Thrash (from Philadelphia)

Caldwell

McCardell

Randall Godfrey

Mike Sellers (Returning from the CFL)

Todd Collins

Mark Brunell (in the beginning)

There is such a prevailing need to blame our ineffectiveness on something, I believe that Free Agency has become the easy target and whipping boy.

I believe we should build through the draft and get value for money spent in free agency, but every once in a while it makes sense to go after a free agent, if he is a long term piece of the final successful picture.

So, again I say draft Hardy or Bowman, but don't throw Holt and Williams out of the window.

If Saunders can do it with the wide receivers he had, or did not have, in KC, then surely he can do it here with what he has. But if you remember how prolific the KC offense was, it was scary. They just had no defense. Now, imagine that same offense, with Greg Williams defense. Add a big time wide receiver. Now that's scary and something I would want.

Funny you should say this as I've always been under the exact opposite impression. I'm not calling you out as I don't have any research to back my opinion - just stating what I've always *thought*.

IMO, rookie WRs are never a sure thing. It seems like some random 3rd round WR ends up being the top rookie performer while a lot of 1st rounders flame out. Even Calvin Johnson never lived up to his hype.

On the other hand, it seems like you can find quality offensive and defensive linemen in the later round, but again all I'm basing that on is the performance of Monty, Golston, and Heyer over the past two year.

That's why I'd use free agency or trade to go after a WR if possible. (Although, BLloyd is an obvious example where that strategy didn't pan out.)

BLloyd was an obvious mistake, but I have no problem with using a 3rd round pick to get a proven #1, or at least someone that has produced over 1,000 yards before. First round wr's practically never contribute a lot their first 2 years. I'd much rather grab a proven wr in free agency or through a trade and then draft several linemen who can be groomed to take prominent roles later.

How do you know Mix will be fine if he gets more playing time? Because he played with Campbell at the college level? There is a reason he was on the practice squad.

He (Mix) did really good on special teams and I think he needs to be looked at as far as what he can do in the offense in camp at least. Practice squad doesn't always mean the guy can't play more so if there's a need for him at that position. And he wasn't needed in the Giants line up this year. Marcus Colston is a stud at WR and he was a 6th rounder or later, but there was a need on that team for him to get a shot just as there's a need for a big WR on this team for Mix to get a shot at least.

RED06

I do not think we need a WR

Well, I beg to differ. Getting Chad Johnson would be great for this team. We need a tall one with speed and if you can pair him up with Santana Moss, not counting Randel El and Cooley, watch out! This offense would be dangerous and the NFC East would be ours for the taking.

How do you know Mix will be fine if he gets more playing time? Because he played with Campbell at the college level? There is a reason he was on the practice squad.

And to add to what I said earlier he did well in pre-season last year with the Giants at WR. It was said that he didn't perform well on special teams for the Giants, but look how well he performed on special teams here!!! So sometimes some teams trash can be another teams treasure.

Also check Anthony Montgomery improvements from last year.

RED06

Why is our WR's fine if we get Mix more playing time?? Everyone is so high on this cat because he's tall, and made some plays on special teams. I believe Darnerian MCcants did the same thing, who knows what the hell he's up to now.

I'd look to FA personally. If we could give up a mid to late round pick for Roy Williams I'd be all over that. If no trades present themselves get Bryant Johnson out of Zona, that would solve the whole not having a big possession receiver

We will be fine if we slide Mix in at #2...I have seen him through preseason and beginning of the season until they dropped him down to practice squad.

Giants fans were pissed they let him go, I just remember watching him (with my roomate who's a huge Giants fan) and he showed great potential, Basically it would be like having a younger, less experienced Plax on the team

Meh, Berrian is a deep ball threat but is well-known by Bears fans as kind of a puss. He's not a 'big' receiver in the sense that a Boldin is and he's known for dropping passes.

You ask me, Lloyd with a QB who can throw the deep ball might actually succeed on a very modest level. That might explain his minimal success with Campbell.

Bryant Johnson would be a better pickup than Berrian.

and for the most part, I think Gibbs was the reason he didn't play, so let's see if this pans out for Lloyd. He was open quite a bit downfield when he was in the game, just didn't have a QB to put the ball in the right place.

Ideally for me we would only pick up one big time Free Agent this year and that would not be at the WR position. It would be Asante Samuel after we release Springs. Wishful thinking, I know. But one can hope, can't he? :whoknows:

This is a good point...I am one of the people who believe with a consistent O-Line we would be an unstoppable offense.

People complain out building from the out to in on defense, yet it's acceptable when we do it for the offense?

We need big pass and run blocking beasts.

If we kept Williams, even for this year, i feel he would be able to get the most out of the defense we currently have, thus giving us the ability to devote more resources to upgrading the O-line this offseason. Next season can be the defensive shopping spree. We have a defense under Williams that works, if we can tweek and tool it, and spend on offense, we stand the best chance of success.

We will be fine if we slide Mix in at #2...I have seen him through preseason and beginning of the season until they dropped him down to practice squad.

Giants fans were pissed they let him go, I just remember watching him (with my roomate who's a huge Giants fan) and he showed great potential, Basically it would be like having a younger, less experienced Plax on the team

I have a hard time believing this. I doubt Mix was playing preseason games against #1 and 2 cornerbacks. Also, if he was that good they would have kept him on the active roster, no matter how many big receivers the Giants already had. People are usually on the practice squad for a reason

I have a hard time believing this. I doubt Mix was playing preseason games against #1 and 2 cornerbacks. Also, if he was that good they would have kept him on the active roster, no matter how many big receivers the Giants already had. People are usually on the practice squad for a reason

That's not neccesarily true, if your team is loaded with WR's as the Giants are and that's your (Mix) position and let's say another injury or need comes on the team somewhere else, the guy with the potential goes to the practice squad until a need for him opens up. That he's on the practice squad for a reason doesn't mean he is not that good.

He performed really well on teams here in Washington and the Giants reported that he wasn't that good on teams, so again we may have a diamond in the ruff and just need to shine it.

RED06

Archived