Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you think about getting a WR in FA/trade rather than draft?

The Fourth King

I know we have all read about Chad Johnson or Roy Williams in past threads...but I just would like to know everybody's thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of getting a big WR via FA or trade instead of the draft.

Really, I think a FA/Trade WR would be good this year. AS much as people say big names will always be busts, this is obviously not the case. A rookie I feel would be AT most just as productive as someone like Chad Johnson or Roy Williams coming here and playing their worst.

Now that Gibbs is gone (although he will still advise Snyder) I really don't think trading a 2nd round pick, which would potentially be used on a WR, and hopefully Lloyd to Cincy for CJ would be bad. I kind of would love to see that happen. As much as people say CJ has 'attitude' problems, he is nothing like an old school TO or Randy Moss. He just likes having fun, and that is why he has never bothered me like TO or Randy have.

Basically, what I am saying is that perhaps if we were to use a 2nd rounder on a WR, would you rather take a rookie in the draft, or trade the pick for a big reciever? I think Cincy is asking for a 3rd rounder, which I don't think we have.

GET LARRY FITZ!! I don't care what anyone says, mostly because i have followed him through college to the pros, he has the best hands in teh damn league. He is the Prototypical posession reciever. He can make any catch in traffic, and he has the height and size to present a great target for any QB any where on the field. The best damn reciever in the league in my opinion.

Whatever we do... we need VALUE on this team...

for example.. Randy Moss for a 5th round pick is VALUE. We need some outperformers who are not already getting paid millions on our offense.

I absolutely agree, which is why going for unproven like Brandon Lloyd is a MISTAKE. Chad is a proven #1, so I definately think we could get some value from him. I don't know about Roy Williams, simply because for years he has been playing in Detroit aka reciever hell. He could be much better than what the Lions' offense shows.

I dont want to draft or go after a free agent WR. If Mix can get more PT i think our WRs are fine. BUT if i had decide, id rather draft James Hardy or Early Doucet.

Why is our WR's fine if we get Mix more playing time?? Everyone is so high on this cat because he's tall, and made some plays on special teams. I believe Darnerian MCcants did the same thing, who knows what the hell he's up to now.

I'd look to FA personally. If we could give up a mid to late round pick for Roy Williams I'd be all over that. If no trades present themselves get Bryant Johnson out of Zona, that would solve the whole not having a big possession receiver

Although O-line(interior only) is a huge need(mostly depth IMO), a true #1 WR is as well. This offseason seems like there will be a lot of great ones avalible in FA. I hope we grab one and would be suprised if we didn't. Danny is now free to grab who he wants and I think he will. There will be some like Berrian who might be free to grab, but to trade our third rounder for someone like Roy(because it would be fun to discuss which Roy Williams plays best) or Fitz or Chad in here.

We did take a look at a potential ORotY last year, pre-draft.

Whatever we do... we need VALUE on this team...

for example.. Randy Moss for a 5th round pick is VALUE. We need some outperformers who are not already getting paid millions on our offense.

Randy for a 5th round might have been the best deal in NFL history. I can't think of a better one.

I think WR is the position that needs to be addressed most on this team.

If we had a big dominating receiver like CJ, think of all the things we could do with Randle El and Moss. This team would be dominating. Look what TO did for the Cowboys. He is there whole offense.

The problem with trading or FA is we have to pay inflated prices because we are bidding against the rest of the league. Physically, Chad Johnson is nothing special and has a great QB throwing the ball to him. He could be somewhat of a scheme guy. I'd rather have a guy that had a down year prior such as Javon Walker.

I am all for trading draft pikcs for proven players. I know we have failed in this regard in the past, but trading for Lloyd is different, cause he was all about upside. Chad Johnson is a proven pro bowler. If it takes a 2nd rounder to get him, I say by all means do it. If Johnson is a huge disappointment, i think at worst he'd get like 600-750 yards, which si already the production we're getting... a 2nd round pick is very questionable to me. We may get a real good player with that pick, we may get an average player. I love getting players that we already know can play ball. Yeah, draft picks are valuable and all, but are you seriously saying that you'd rather have whoever we draft in the 2nd round this year than a perennial pro bowler? Wake up people, there are some deals you have to make.

The problem with trading or FA is we have to pay inflated prices because we are bidding against the rest of the league. Physically, Chad Johnson is nothing special and has a great QB throwing the ball to him. He could be somewhat of a scheme guy. I'd rather have a guy that had a down year prior such as Javon Walker.

I dont like the "Me first" attitude he has. Didnt he come from Green Bay before Denver and wanted out because Green Bay was horrible that year? Made a big stink in the media between him and Farve? Ill pass on a Javon Walker. What about the Cardinals #3 reciever. I forget his name, but he is supposed to be a bad ass. There was also some no name on the Detroit squad that ripped it up this year. Their #3 WR. McDouglas maybe? Anyways, those would be value pick ups if they paid dividends for us.

With all that said, Im really excited to see what Campbell and Anthony Mix can do together next season.

I am all for trading draft pikcs for proven players. I know we have failed in this regard in the past, but trading for Lloyd is different, cause he was all about upside. Chad Johnson is a proven pro bowler. If it takes a 2nd rounder to get him, I say by all means do it. If Johnson is a huge disappointment, i think at worst he'd get like 600-750 yards, which si already the production we're getting... a 2nd round pick is very questionable to me. We may get a real good player with that pick, we may get an average player. I love getting players that we already know can play ball. Yeah, draft picks are valuable and all, but are you seriously saying that you'd rather have whoever we draft in the 2nd round this year than a perennial pro bowler? Wake up people, there are some deals you have to make.

He is too old to give up a 2nd -3rd rounder for. But, Id do Betts and a fourth rounder, or Betts, Lloyd and a fourth rounder to get the job done.

You can get a bad ass O-lineman in the second round that could turn out to be a perenial pro bowler. 2nd round is too high for Chad Johnson. Id do a 2nd rounder for Fitzgerald or Boldin though.

Archived