Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you think about getting a WR in FA/trade rather than draft?

The Fourth King

Meh, Berrian is a deep ball threat but is well-known by Bears fans as kind of a puss. He's not a 'big' receiver in the sense that a Boldin is and he's known for dropping passes.

You ask me, Lloyd with a QB who can throw the deep ball might actually succeed on a very modest level. That might explain his minimal success with Campbell.

Bryant Johnson would be a better pickup than Berrian.

yes berrian is FA, i believe johnson is as well. to me these are two solid players, but i dont feel like they'd really improve the team all that much. if we go for another WR, it needs to be a proven star player IMO

True, but the guy in Zona and the guy in Detroit, (I cant rememebr his name for the life of me) would be much cheaper then Johnson, or Fitz. Are there any WR's in Housten available? Who was Andre Johnson's replacement when he went down? Andre Johnson? He'd be a beast too.

Without an oline, receivers are useless :2cents:

I completely agree and will say that this team needs to draft lineman on both sides of the ball for the next few years to be successful.

Saying that, best case scenario is that we need a guard and can get one in the draft or FA.

Possession receiver is a need, but for the offense to work, the O-line needs to be addressed immediately.

Bryant Johnson UFA Arizona Cardinals- Maybe

Drew Carter UFA Carolina Panthers- No

Antonio Chatman UFA Cincinnati Bengals- No

Keary Colbert UFA Carolina Panthers- No

Terrance Copper UFA New Orleans Saints- No

Andre' Davis UFA Houston Texans- Maybe

Malcom Floyd RFA San Diego Chargers- Who?

Doug Gabriel UFA Oakland Raiders- Maybe

Justin Gage UFA Tennessee Titans- No

D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks- Maybe

Az-Zahir Hakim UFA Miami Dolphins- No

Taylor Jacobs UFA Washington Redskins- Hahaha

Jerome Mathis RFA Houston Texans- No

Samie Parker UFA Kansas City Chiefs- No

David Patten UFA New Orleans Saints- No

Marcus Robinson UFA Detroit Lions- No

Brandon Stokley UFA Denver Broncos- No

Devery Henderson UFA New Orlean Saints- Maybe

I believe Joey Porter will be available, along with Berrian. Randy Moss is going to be a FA as well (I think he only signed for one year).

Bryant Johnson UFA Arizona Cardinals- Maybe

Drew Carter UFA Carolina Panthers- No

Antonio Chatman UFA Cincinnati Bengals- No

Keary Colbert UFA Carolina Panthers- No

Terrance Copper UFA New Orleans Saints- No

Andre' Davis UFA Houston Texans- Maybe

Malcom Floyd RFA San Diego Chargers- Who?

Doug Gabriel UFA Oakland Raiders- Maybe

Justin Gage UFA Tennessee Titans- No

D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks- Maybe

Az-Zahir Hakim UFA Miami Dolphins- No

Taylor Jacobs UFA Washington Redskins- Hahaha

Jerome Mathis RFA Houston Texans- No

Samie Parker UFA Kansas City Chiefs- No

David Patten UFA New Orleans Saints- No

Marcus Robinson UFA Detroit Lions- No

Brandon Stokley UFA Denver Broncos- No

Devery Henderson UFA New Orlean Saints- Maybe

I believe Joey Porter will be available, along with Berrian. Randy Moss is going to be a FA as well (I think he only signed for one year).

Id take Terance Copper for real cheap. Good work horse and quiet overachievr. Decent hands too.

I completely agree and will say that this team needs to draft lineman on both sides of the ball for the next few years to be successful.

Saying that, best case scenario is that we need a guard and can get one in the draft or FA.

Possession receiver is a need, but for the offense to work, the O-line needs to be addressed immediately.

Interior Linemen can usually be adressed in the later rounds and the way we have been drafting, I like our chances of getting some much needed depth there. We don't need a starter, as we have some great players who might actually stay healthy for most of the year.

I would love to see Mix given a chance as our big receiver. WR is behind the lines and CB in my needs list and WRs in the draft can be hit or miss, see Rod Gardner. I wouldn't draft a WR until very late, maybe sign a proven FA if we can afford one. I'd love to see us get a return man, maybe draft a 3rd CB who returns punts, like Jenkins from USF.

I am all for trading draft pikcs for proven players. I know we have failed in this regard in the past, but trading for Lloyd is different, cause he was all about upside. Chad Johnson is a proven pro bowler. If it takes a 2nd rounder to get him, I say by all means do it. If Johnson is a huge disappointment, i think at worst he'd get like 600-750 yards, which si already the production we're getting... a 2nd round pick is very questionable to me. We may get a real good player with that pick, we may get an average player. I love getting players that we already know can play ball. Yeah, draft picks are valuable and all, but are you seriously saying that you'd rather have whoever we draft in the 2nd round this year than a perennial pro bowler? Wake up people, there are some deals you have to make.

The Skins have done that almost every year and look where that has gotten them. The Patriots use there draft picks and they make the playoffs far more than the Skins. So do the Colts, the Eagles(despite the down year they are having), and the Steelers, just to name a few of the teams that are consistently in the playoffs.

The draft is a waste and only sporadically yields good players in the bottom rounds. Untalented players like for instance:Tom Brady a sixth round draft choice, Joe Montana a third round draft choice, Terrell Owens a second round draft choice. For that matter look at some of the few players the Skins themselves have drafted Chris Cooley, a third round choice, Rocky McIntosh a second round selection, and Laddell Betts, a second round selection. Yeah those players have turned out to be all busts :rolleyes:

Until the front office abandons this win now and suffer the consequences later approach the Skins will continue to be mediocre, at best, and never win another superbowl again.

Why is our WR's fine if we get Mix more playing time?? Everyone is so high on this cat because he's tall, and made some plays on special teams. I believe Darnerian MCcants did the same thing, who knows what the hell he's up to now.

I'd look to FA personally. If we could give up a mid to late round pick for Roy Williams I'd be all over that. If no trades present themselves get Bryant Johnson out of Zona, that would solve the whole not having a big possession receiver

We have more pressing needs than WRs. Look how well our WR's were playing when we gave Collins time to throw the ball. He was spreading it out to everyone. Moss, Randel El and Caldwell. We have paid the price trying to acquire WRs: Moss, El, Lloyd, Patten etc. Almost feel like the freakin Lions over here. CJ would prob require a 2-3..but hes almost 30 isnt he? Giving up a mid to late round pick for RW is not realistic especially with the Cowboys probably wanting him too. I could settle for Bryant J.

I am a proponent of making the offensive and defensive lines dominant. Look at the Seattle game. Their skill players were not better than ours. They just had a more dominant offensive and defensive line than we did.

With that said, I believe that a tall wide receiver or any receiver than consistently gets separation would help to make us more dominant. In that vein here are my suggestions:

If we draft: Draft James Hardy or Bowman or both.

If we trade: Instead of trading for Chad Johnson, trade for Torry Holt or Roy Williams. Holt,who had a run-in with his coaches,has worked in the Al Saunders offense before. Roy Williams has worked under Mike Martz who runs a similar offense to Saunders (without an emphasis on the running game). Very little adjustment time would be needed. Torry is a perenial pro bowler just like Chad. He does not show boat like Chad and he should cost less because he is older than Chad. Roy is younger, bigger and yet unproven and still should cost less than Chad. I agree with those who say Lloyd, Betts and #4 or #5 depending on what we have to give the Jets for Kendall. I do however believe that Arizona would take it for Bryant Johnson as they are already exploring releasing Edgerrin James and they cannot franchise Johnson because they are going to franchise the linebacker (I don't remember his name). Finally, this is not an either or proposition. I believe that we should always have two of every type of player in case of injury. Thus the suggestion to draft two big receivers. However, we already have a big receiver in Mix. Play him with whomever we trade for. Yet he is an unproven commodity. He could become great. So far he looks like a special teams replacement for Thrash. If he could do both, then great.

I know we have all read about Chad Johnson or Roy Williams in past threads...but I just would like to know everybody's thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of getting a big WR via FA or trade instead of the draft.

Really, I think a FA/Trade WR would be good this year. AS much as people say big names will always be busts, this is obviously not the case. A rookie I feel would be AT most just as productive as someone like Chad Johnson or Roy Williams coming here and playing their worst.

Now that Gibbs is gone (although he will still advise Snyder) I really don't think trading a 2nd round pick, which would potentially be used on a WR, and hopefully Lloyd to Cincy for CJ would be bad. I kind of would love to see that happen. As much as people say CJ has 'attitude' problems, he is nothing like an old school TO or Randy Moss. He just likes having fun, and that is why he has never bothered me like TO or Randy have.

Basically, what I am saying is that perhaps if we were to use a 2nd rounder on a WR, would you rather take a rookie in the draft, or trade the pick for a big reciever? I think Cincy is asking for a 3rd rounder, which I don't think we have.

It would have to be a VERY proven player for me to trade a pick for. And even then no more than 1 pick would I trade. I'd rather draft a FA WR and develop them. BEsides if we get our Oline problems fixed and stay healthy then JC or whoever is at QB has the time to find the receivers and make plays.

True, but the guy in Zona and the guy in Detroit, (I cant rememebr his name for the life of me) would be much cheaper then Johnson, or Fitz. Are there any WR's in Housten available? Who was Andre Johnson's replacement when he went down? Andre Johnson? He'd be a beast too.

I agree, if Andre Johnson is available, go get him. He'd be my number one target.

Another guy that's likely to be released is Donte Stallworth. He's only listed at 6'0" though (I was surprised to see Ocho-Cinco listed at only 6'1").

Stallworth hasn't been able to compete with Moss this year, but he had a productive year with Philly two years ago. The only problem is that we would have two of the more brittle WRs in the league with Moss and Stallworth. Could be a dangerous combo though.

I'm not exactly sure what the prevailing wisdom is, but I *think* that a rookie WR has a better shot at real contribution than an offensive/defensive lineman, or quarterback. Rb seems to be the easiest to make the transition, but guys like Roy Williams, Braylon Edwards, Calvin Johnson, and Dwayne Bowe have also contributed right out of college. So it seems to me like we could draft a WR that would contribute, and then maybe use some of the (non-existent) money or trade bate in free agency to go after young veterans to fill some of the other positions. The positions that might require more seasoning to be effective. Like a good "young veteran" OG, DE, CB.

I dont want to draft or go after a free agent WR. If Mix can get more PT i think our WRs are fine. BUT if i had decide, id rather draft James Hardy or Early Doucet.
How do you know Mix will be fine if he gets more playing time? Because he played with Campbell at the college level? There is a reason he was on the practice squad.

Archived