Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could we ever love Cowher?

Touchdown Redskins

I woke up thinking this morning, "What if Cowher really is the next coach of the Redskins?" He would be replacing an icon. Joe Gibbs, for better or for worse, is synonymous with the Skins, just as Cowher is synonymous with the Steelers. Could we love someone who is replacing an icon after the most trying year in Redskins history? Could you love someone whose name will never be associated with our team? Even if he wins a Superbowl, he'll be considered a "gun for higher" like Parcells. If he brought about another decade of glory years, could you bring yourself to put him on the same pedestal as Gibbs? I don't know if I could.

Ask a Steeler fan how they felt having Cowher replace a man in who had won 4 Super Bowls in Pittsburgh. Noll was arguably every bit as big there as Gibbs was here.

Yes, but Cowher hadn't been a coach elsewhere. The Steelers was his first head coaching stint. Also, he wasn't synonymous with another team when he replaced Knoll.

I don't know. He is a Steeler at heart.

I would welcome whoever brought wins but I don't think I could ever think of him as a Redskin.

I want GW to get the job!

You don't believe that GW is a Redskin at heart, do you? The only guy who might possibly fit that qualification is Grimm, or some other former Redskin player, but I can't think of anyone else qualified.

No coach is going to have the ties to DC that Gibbs does, so we all just need to get over that.

If Cohwer comes here and takes us to the playoffs most years, I will have no problem liking him. If he wins one... he is forever in my fondest of memories.

Archived