Extremeskins

Warner Bros goes with Blu Ray

Hooper

And the format war continues...

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_7882678

Warner Bros. to release high-def DVDs exclusively in Blu-ray

By ALEX VEIGA AP Business Writer

Article Launched: 01/04/2008 12:52:19 PM PST

LOS ANGELES—Warner Bros. Entertainment said Friday it will release high-definition DVDs exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format, becoming the latest studio to reject the rival HD DVD technology and further complicate the high-definition landscape for consumers.

Warner said it decided to go with Blu-ray because consumers have shown a stronger preference for that format than HD DVD.

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger," Barry Meyer, Warner Bros.' chairman and chief executive, said in a statement.

"We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers," the statement said.

Warner Bros., owned by Time Warner Inc., had been releasing high-definition DVDs in both formats. The studio said it would begin releasing Blu-ray titles this year, but noted that Warner Home Video will continue to release new titles in HD DVD until the end of May.

Hollywood studios have been split on which of the two formats to back. Both formats deliver crisp, clear pictures and sound but are completely incompatible with each other and do not play on older DVD players.

Among the studios that have decided to go with Blu-ray exclusively are The Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Paramount Pictures, which also owns DreamWorks SKG, dropped its support for Blu-ray and said it would start distributing films exclusively in the HD DVD format. Universal Pictures, a unit of General Electric, also releases films only in HD DVD.

NOO!!! I want the other guys to win! The guys whose name actually incorporates the enhancement being sold.

Networks are broadcasting in HIGH DEFINITION, not "Blu-Ray". (The gross misspelling does not inspire consumer confidence, BTW)

That's like marketing a disc alternative to CD's as "Red-Ray". Stupid.

I would think that the difference between HD/Blu-Ray and normal DVD would be most seen on screens above 55''...

Someone running a projection system with a 3 foot screen can probably see a huge difference (I recently saw one running just DVD and I thought the picture looked a bit "soft", but it could've been the lighting). Someone with a 42'' HD TV probably can't see too big of a difference. Heck, DVDs look awesome on my 32 inch analog TV.

Well, I mean, it obviously depends on the content right? Some things look decidedly better in HD, making better usage of higher resolution, and for some things it matters less. I don't know how much of a difference it makes when the source is older though. So my guess is that with older sources, I'll end up keeping my old DVDs, and with newer sources I'll get the next gen. I haven't decided on which one yet though.

Aside- Man, this looks cool: http://hvd-forum.org/

Hooper and TEG--is there a discernable difference (between HDDVD/BluRay and DVD) that merits buying a new set of discs?

I know you didn't ask me, but I do know a little so I hope you won't mind if I chime in. Basically, if you've ever seen HDTV (720p or 1080i), then that is what you are getting with a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD (these formats are also support 1080p output). Your current DVD collection will only support 480i and 480p outputs, and the difference between them is quite visible. If you have HDTV, you should switch back and forth between a DVD player at 480p and an HDTV at either 720p or 1080i to see the difference. I hope that answers your question.

Another option might be for you to get an "upconverting" DVD player, which will convert your current DVD to a 720p or 1080i output (but not to 1080p; also, the upconverting DVD players do not result in "true" 720p/1080i output). These upconverting DVD players will become obsolete anyway, as more and more of the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD players will come installed with upconverters anyway.

Edit: Sorry, I hope it didn't seem like I was talking down to you, I didn't know how much you knew about the issue.

TD,

I have a 1080 Sharp Aquos 46" with an LG (I think) upconverter--

Maybe I haven't watched enough yet (only one program, the 'Skins game on NBC) to see the difference, but I sure haven't seen it yet (and I use HDMI cables too).

Diablo--missed your post, I'd definitely like your opinion on this issue. :)

TD,

I have a 1080 Sharp Aquos 46" with an LG (I think) upconverter--

Maybe I haven't watched enough yet (only one program, the 'Skins game on NBC) to see the difference, but I sure haven't seen it yet (and I use HDMI cables too).

Diablo--missed your post, I'd definitely like your opinion on this issue. :)

Hmm, as other people are saying, it could be a size factor. I have been watching my HDTV and DVDs on a 61" TV and a 133" projector, so that might be the reason there's such a big difference between my DVDs and the HDTV. However, it's not like you have a small TV, so perhaps your TV is upconverting your DVDs to 720p or 1080i, and so you don't really notice a difference between the two. Have you watched a Blu-Ray on your TV yet?

Well, I say if you don't see a difference, then there's no need to splurge as of now. Blu-Ray players are pretty expensive, and since your TV is 1080p capable, you can wait until the price comes down to start getting them. It'll probably be even more convenient for you since you can enjoy your DVDs at high quality with that upconverter.

This is a huge blow to the HD-DVD camp -- probably a fatal one. Warner Bros has a huge library. Now only Paramount and Universal are HD-DVD exclusive -- and that ends in less than a year.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

HD-DVD Cancels Dog-&-Pony Show AT CES; Cites "Impact" Of Warner Bros Going Blu-Ray

Notice of CES Press Conference Cancellation by North American HD DVD Promotion Group

Based on the timing of the Warner Home Video announcement today, we have decided to postpone our CES 2008 press conference scheduled for Sunday, January 6th at 8:30 p.m. in the Wynn Hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps. We believe the consumer continues to benefit from HD DVD's commitment to quality and affordability – a bar that is critical for the mainstream success of any format.

We’ll continue to keep you updated on new developments around HD DV

Blu-ray is awesome, and I'm happy to see it winning the format wars. This is the way things should go.

Blu-ray has almost twice the data storage capacity of HD-DVD, more studios on board, and more corporate "member" companies. The stranglehold is on.

Here's hoping for a speedy death to HD-DVD!

:cheers:

Blu-ray is the way to go.

I was at best buy looking at movies and there was this guy talking to an employee there.

They were discussing the two formats. The customer really was biased to hd dvds and was trying to tell the other guy that there seemed to be more selection of hd dvds to choose from. The employee looked at him funny and told him that the blu-ray selection actually has a full row of movies and wraps around to where the hd dvds were.

Long story short Blu ray is much better then HD DVD.

( XXXXX)=hd dvd selection

(XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)(XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)=blu-ray selection

Blu-ray discs are also scratch resistance:

http://www.cnet.com.au/dvdpvr/hddvd/0,2000063776,339273868,00.htm

also, as mentioned before.. since the Blue-ray can store more data.. there can be much more content stored on it.. like interactive stuff.. i.e. "Cars" has a very nice interactive section on the Blu-ray

at $30 a movie, I'm not willing to test those theories

Archived