Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Crowd Noise...Really? (Merged)

Jethrodsp

Did anyone hear the post-game show on Redskins Radio yesterday? Sonny,

Sam and Larry as well as Bram at a different point in time all said that part of the crowd noise sounded artificial and that it sounded like extra volume of crowd cheering was being pumped in through the speakers.....wouldn't doubt it for a second (because they do it at FedEx field and I sit directly below speakers in the UDeck and have heard it!) ....and their fans think they're so freaking special..Our fans blow theirs away!!

HAIL!!! :logo:

(because they do it at FedEx field and I sit directly below speakers in the UDeck and have heard it!) ....

Nah, they don't do it at fedex, what is happening is the annoucer leaves the mic on, and the fan noise just goes into the mic, which then makes it a little bit louder, I have heard it before.

Unless that is what piping is, then well we do it.

Nah, they don't do it at fedex, what is happening is the annoucer leaves the mic on, and the fan noise just goes into the mic, which then makes it a little bit louder, I have heard it before.

What about the time the Redskins were fined by the NFL for it, during the 2000 season?

That home field advantage they have is borderline unfair. Maybe Snyder should start construction on a carbon copy of Qwest Field right now.

A lot of you have blamed our offensive line for yesterday's loss but I think the crowd played a huge part here too. Normally a line has split second jump on the snap since they know the count. But since they could hear nothing yesterday, that was negated and may explain how Seattle's D-Line was in our backfield all day.

Many teams (ie Seahawks, Colts) are known to have articifial crowd noise, which is illegal, but since it makes the games sound exciting on TV, league administrators and referrees turn a blind eye, and they aren't motivated to thoroughly investigate it.

So if other stadiums are being condoned for it, why aren't we exploiting it like these other Superbowl contention teams?

Understandably, we can't request Snider to do it publically (nor privately unless you are friends with Snider) to play crowd noise over the speakers, so why don't we be proactive about it as fans, and make a highly organized/clever 12th man of our own?

There are some really loud handheld horns out there that squawk and bleet really intensely. If all the fans in the endzones can pound these horns when the QB is making his Hut-Hut cadence, we can drown him out so that his O-line can't hear. Then it's "False start, number 60, offense, 5 yards..." all day, especially against shotgun teams, when backed up in their own 5 yd line, or threatening to score at our 5 yd line.

If horns aren't allowed, the endzones need to get organized and mimic the Hut-Hut verbally, instead of just screaming senselessly (screaming senselessly should be done while the visiting team is huddling). This type of organization/innovation is needed to make the best 12th man in the league.

Also when kickers are attempting a fieldgoal, instead of everyone behind the uprights shaking their arms crazily, everyone needs to get organized and perform a synchronized left-to-right (and viceversa) crowd wave, so that instead of the crowd behind the fieldgoal appearing as just a whitenoise shimmer, it will look like the crowd and the fieldgoal is actually swaying side-to-side, creating a sense of vertigo in the kicker when he's lining up his kick.

Just like a rookie QB, the crowd 12th man will have to have several games under our belt to get as organized as we need to be to do the above. But with a few leaders in the endzone sections of the stadium, I believe we can get there by the time next years playoffs roll around.

Let's go skins! 2008-2009 Superbowl Champs!

I remember back in 2003 during a hotly contested game with the Ravens, Baltimore came back to win like 44-41 (who thought they were capable of putting up that many points?). Anyhow, after the game, Holmgren whined that the P.A. announcer up there incited the crowd by emphasizing "3rd down" or something, and the Ravens were told not to do that anymore. Yet Seattle thinks they can get away with this stuff because of the design of the stadium? Unfortunately because the design in fact pumps noise back into the field, there isn't any way to prove that they do pump in sound without an NFL official sitting in the last 2 rows of that stadium, which would never happen. I'm just glad they'll get killed in Green Bay.

What about that was 8 years ago? Doesn't mean they do it to the day

No, it doesn't. Actually, it's probably a pretty good indication that they don't do it anymore, since they've been penalized once.

I posted a link to this once a few years ago. It was tough to find an article on it, but I was back in college then and had access to EBSCO and Lexis-Nexis.

I'll run a search through my old posts and see if I can find the post I made. Ironically, I think it was from a Seattle newspaper.

Did anyone hear the post-game show on Redskins Radio yesterday? Sonny,

Sam and Larry as well as Bram at a different point in time all said that part of the crowd noise sounded artificial and that it sounded like extra volume of crowd cheering was being pumped in through the speakers.....wouldn't doubt it for a second (because they do it at FedEx field and I sit directly below speakers in the UDeck and have heard it!) ....and their fans think they're so freaking special..Our fans blow theirs away!!

a buddy of mine was at the game. he just moved to Seattle a few months ago. He is a skins fan but is not as crazy about football as most folks around here. He roots for Seattle since he lives there, but only when they are not playing the skins. He is more of a casual fan.

he texted me in 2nd quarter and said they were definitely pumping noise in. That he could talk to the folks around him and hear it blasting out of the speakers at times when the crowd wasn't into it.

Doesn't really matter, but i thought that was interesting, considering they make such a big deal about how their fans are just so much louder than anywhere else.

That is a tough place to play regardless, I have no problem with it. But it's kind of comical in a way.

I sit 2 rows from the top at Fed Ex on on several occassions the noise level went up about 25% from the speakers directly above my head.

The first time about 5 other fans and I all looked at each other and said "did you hear that?" It was definitely way louder than what the stadium was producing and you could hear the suddeness of it being cut off......I don't know if it's a soundtrack of crowd noise or if is a live microphone getting actual crowd noise and then spitting it back out of the overhead speakers, but it's definitely being done at Fed Ex here and now..heard it probably at at least 3 of the games this year...

It's not like we don't already produce enough crowd noise on our own...Skins fans are truly the 12th man in the NFL!

HAIL!

I thought in 2000 we got our wrists slapped because of something the obnoxious PA guy at FedEx was doing, not because of pumped in noise.

I don't think it happens every game but more than several folks have noticed what seems to be fake noise coming in at FedEx.

It seems like the only way we're going to be able to show how loud our fans will be is if we host a playoff game again. The crowd does perform well from time to time, but I've never experienced the sustained intensity at that place that I witnessed during the playoff game against Detroit.

Well, I've found an article from the St. Paul Pioneer Press about the time the Redskins were fined. I was right that it was in 2000, Oct 9th to be exact. They were fined $20,000. Unfortunately, the St. Paul Pioneer Press charges for access to the full article. The abstract from Google news, though, reads as follows:

[Oct 24, 2000] ... in the noise level at the Metrodome on Sunday than at any other game this season, and he added that the team does not use artificial noises. ... On Oct. 9, the Washington Redskins were fined $20000 for violating the NFL's crowd noise rule in a game at FedEx Field against the Tampa Bay ...

From CULPEPPER PUSHED FOR PRO BOWL - St. Paul Pioneer Press ($$)

Related stories - Related web pages

Here is a link to the search results:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?hl=en&resnum=0&q=FEDEX+Field+Artificial+Crowd+Noise&as_ldate=2000&as_hdate=2000&um=1&ie=UTF-8&scoring=t&sa=X&oi=archive&ct=title

from a 20 year seahawk season ticket holder -

isn't every home team crowd special to the home team? i'm sure the skin fans take as much pride in the way they support their team as do the seahawks fans, and it was a lot of fun yesterday. we didn't sit down the whole game, and only shut up when the shawk offense had the ball. and when trufant was running back the interception, well, if you watched, you heard the crowd - it was pandemonium.

there's a reason the hawks are 25-3 at home over the last 3 years - the confidence and emotion the team gets from the home crowd is a huge factor in a game.

also, the nfl checked out qwest field after a giants game two years ago - nothing is piped in, it is that loud.

good luck next year.

The Redskins have been penalized for doing it in the past. Documented fact, not speculation.

If I remember, the skins weren't fined for artificial noise, they were fined because of what the PA announcer did.

Here is an article describing what happened:

"Before the game, the public-address announcer yelled a derogatory phrase about the Ravens fans that ended in a mild obscenity."

Link

Archived