Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

You got the feeling that Diaz was not the same after the blood started flowing.

he had trouble against Nate Campbell when Nate made him bleed

can't wait to download this fight, must have for the collection

i can't see another fight topping this one for Fight of the Year

I just got done watching these fights over at Finkle's place.

Chris John just got jobbed, big time.

JMM is a frickin stud, and that fight was incredible. Combine this with Margarito-Mosley from last month, and 2009 is shaping up to be a good year for fight fans.

That was a great fight. Diaz was putting it on Marquez throughout the fight, but he needs to hit the gym and get some power in his punches. Marquez survived that onslaught and kept tagging Diaz with great shots. If Diaz had punching power, fight would have been over early. Definitely fight of the year, so far. Next week is gonna be good also, with Julio & Kirkland. Marquez really wants Pacquiao, but looks like a third fight won't happen. I like Marquez, but he doesn't really want any part of Floyd Mayweather. But at least he recognizes who the best is. My advice for Diaz is to get mentally & physically stronger. Nate Campbell whupped him. During that fight, Campbell was getting the better of him and he quit. He can't handle adversity. Marquez weathered the storm and kept fighting. Dislike Jim Lampley. He was all over Diaz' nuts. If you put the fight on mute, you miss the sound effects of a great fight. Diaz throws a lot of punches and makes so many sounds (like in shadow boxing). If he connects as much as he grunts, he would be a heck of a fighter. Overall a good night of boxing. Judges in the 1st fight were blind.

That was a great fight. Diaz was putting it on Marquez throughout the fight, but he needs to hit the gym and get some power in his punches. Marquez survived that onslaught and kept tagging Diaz with great shots. If Diaz had punching power, fight would have been over early. Definitely fight of the year, so far. Next week is gonna be good also, with Julio & Kirkland. Marquez really wants Pacquiao, but looks like a third fight won't happen. I like Marquez, but he doesn't really want any part of Floyd Mayweather. But at least he recognizes who the best is. My advice for Diaz is to get mentally & physically stronger. Nate Campbell whupped him. During that fight, Campbell was getting the better of him and he quit. He can't handle adversity. Marquez weathered the storm and kept fighting. Dislike Jim Lampley. He was all over Diaz' nuts. If you put the fight on mute, you miss the sound effects of a great fight. Diaz throws a lot of punches and makes so many sounds (like in shadow boxing). If he connects as much as he grunts, he would be a heck of a fighter. Overall a good night of boxing. Judges in the 1st fight were blind.

HBO has the worst announce team of any regular boxing telecast. they always seem to pick one fighter beforehand and exaggerate the effect of the match to favor that fighter. Kellerman's not that bad, but Lampley & Steward are famous for doing that, especially for Oscar & Cotto.

the judges in the main event were fair though, one judge had Diaz up 2 rounds, one judge had Marquez up 2 rounds, and the other judge had it perfectly even at the time of the KO

JMM is a beast. Great fight. I would bet on him against Mayweather with the odds. He just has much more power than Floyd. Juarez dominated the last 3 rounds which earned him the decision. I had no problem with the draw. John shut it down after round 8.

Edited by eagleskins

JMM is a beast. Great fight. I would bet on him against Mayweather with the odds. He just has much more power than Floyd. Juarez dominated the last 3 rounds which earned him the decision. I had no problem with the draw. John shut it down after round 8.

Floyd is bad style matchup for JMM. remember JMM has spent most of his career at 130 and below. Floyd had great power at 130 & 135, his power left him once he went to 140 & 147.

at 130 Floyd was stopping the best in the division at that time. if they fight (which i don't think they will) it would be at 140. there's no guarantee that JMM power carries up another division.

it would be a good fight, but i got Floyd winning a comfortable decision.

and Juarez winning the last 2 rounds doesn't block out the middle 8 that John dominated him

Edited by StillUnknown

I disagree that Diaz was putting it on Marquez throughout this fight. I gave the edge to Diaz, but I wouldn't say it was lopsided. I thought Marquez was holding his own. As for Lampley being on Diaz's nuts, I agree 100%. Lampley has got to be the worse boxing announcer there is. He "ALWAYS" go with the house/HBO fighter.

he was talkin about great fights that have already happened. Punisher/Winky is a great matchup, but Winky's style won't allow for a great fight
Ah, my bad. Anyway, Paul NEEDS to use his height and reach advantage, and he should be fine.

I disagree that Diaz was putting it on Marquez throughout this fight. I gave the edge to Diaz, but I wouldn't say it was lopsided. I thought Marquez was holding his own. As for Lampley being on Diaz's nuts, I agree 100%. Lampley has got to be the worse boxing announcer there is. He "ALWAYS" go with the house/HBO fighter.

Juan Manuel was getting the pace dictated to him but you are right- he was responding big time. I kept saying to myself if Marquez could come back from the Pacqiuao opening rounds, he can come back from Diaz' punches. Everyone knows Marquez rarely loses rounds 8-12 and this time was no different.

Great war though and no knock on Diaz. He just faced a very crafty, TOUGH fighter who had been that far too many times. Baby Bull will bounce back smarter for having lost this fight.

I love Marquez. What skill, what poise.

Edited by Chachie

big triple header tomorrow on HBO featuring 3 of the best prospects in boxing:

Robert Guerrero vs. Daud Yordan

Victor Ortiz vs. Mike Aranoutis

James Kirkland vs. Joel Julio

Ortiz was ESPN's 2008 Prospect of the Year

Kirkland in simple terms is a killer, but he has some defensive holes that could prevent him from moving to the very top.

i'd be willing to bet my house that Kirkland/Julio doesn't go the distance. both guys have tremendous power with questionable chins at best.

Just got home from work and watched it on the DVR.

Kirkland is possibly my favorite fighter to watch. I literally smile when I watch him. He is just ridiculous. I think he may have seriously injured Julio's career tonight. Kirkland ripped his heart out and ate it in front of hm. The only thing I worry about is that I think it's only a matter of time before Kirkland takes on a fighter who has the style (and chin) to take advantage of Kirkland's freewheeling ways and takes him apart scientifically. But yeah I will always root for him and his trainer on a personal level as well.

Victor Ortiz is another one you can root for on a personal level. Also overcame some hard times and deep struggles. He's the real deal too. Best young fighter in the sport. Without a doubt in my mind. (And I would crush his sister :) ) I thought maybe the ref stopped tonights fight a little early but the outcome was inevitable.

Just got home from work and watched it on the DVR.

Kirkland is possibly my favorite fighter to watch. I literally smile when I watch him. He is just ridiculous. I think he may have seriously injured Julio's career tonight. Kirkland ripped his heart out and ate it in front of hm. The only thing I worry about is that I think it's only a matter of time before Kirkland takes on a fighter who has the style (and chin) to take advantage of Kirkland's freewheeling ways and takes him apart scientifically. But yeah I will always root for him and his trainer on a personal level as well.

Victor Ortiz is another one you can root for on a personal level. Also overcame some hard times and deep struggles. He's the real deal too. Best young fighter in the sport. Without a doubt in my mind. (And I would crush his sister :) ) I thought maybe the ref stopped tonights fight a little early but the outcome was inevitable.

i don't know if i would call him the absolute best young fighter in the sport, hell i could make an argument that Devon Alexander is a better prospect in his division. Ortiz is definitely on the short list of best young prospects

my top five would read something like (in no order):

Victor Ortiz

Jorge Linares

Juan Manuel Lopez (he would be my pick for best young prospect)

Yuriorkis Gamboa

Devon Alexander

Edited by StillUnknown

GACOLB, if you hit Ortiz's sister, he'd hit you (not in that way) :box:

Well I used to box in my early teens. And I've always had heavy hands. I think I got a shot at a KO. (Which would be preceeded by me sneaking up on him from behind)

Stillunkown, I might be letting my rooting interest in him cloud by objectivity. So you might be right. And right now life isn't allowing me to dedicate the time to following the sport as much as I used to and would like to. So I'll take your word for it. It's all opinion though.