Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Pavlik's fighting Sergio Mora sometime in the summer

Mora was last seen being beat down in a rematch against Vernon Forrest, yet his reward is to get a title shot at a higher weight class against someone he has no chance of beating.

nice to see Pavlik fighting real contenders

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3994843

Floyd Mayweather Jr., who hasn't fought since December 2007 and retired as the undefeated pound-for-pound king in June, is planning to fight again -- possibly as soon as July 11 -- two sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.

"He is coming back. I've been around him. He's ready to dance again very soon," said one source, who recently spent time with Mayweather and has known him for years. "He's itching to go. The way he sounded, he is willing to take on whoever they throw in his face. He would do the [Manny] Pacquiao-[Ricky] Hatton winner, Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez. The only one he doesn't have an interest in is [a rematch with] Oscar De La Hoya. But in Floyd's mind, he knows there is one Godzilla, and that's a fight with Pacquiao."

Mayweather has been sparring and working out regularly in his Las Vegas gym and is in great shape, according to one of the sources.

Before Mayweather fights one of the big names, both sources said Mayweather's team has talked to HBO about the availability of July 11, the network's date for that month's edition of "World Championship Boxing."

Mayweather, whose last four bouts, and five of his last six, have been on HBO PPV, has expressed an interest in fighting on HBO rather than pay-per-view for a possible tune-up bout ahead of a possible fall fight with the winner of the May 2 Hatton-Pacquiao bout.

HBO, however, would have to come up with a substantial license fee to make it work, so it remains to be seen if a bout on the network could be made. A summer comeback fight for Mayweather, who has been dogged by IRS issues, could also go on pay-per-view instead.

HBO also has another dilemma. It has not committed to giving Main Events and Golden Boy Promotions the July 11 date for a fight that is being negotiated between cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek and former two-division champion Bernard Hopkins, and one of the reasons is because HBO has also been talking to Mayweather about the date, said one of the sources, who has knowledge of HBO's issue.

"They don't want to upset Floyd and they hope the situation resolves itself," the source said.

HBO president Ross Greenburg was tight-lipped on the matter.

"Not only do I have no comment, it's premature to discuss," Greenburg told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "There are no real substantive talks."

But has Mayweather or one of his advisers contacted HBO about a summer fight?

"I'm not confirming or denying that," Greenburg said. "I'm not going to comment. Call me back in a few weeks."

Talk about a Mayweather comeback has swirled for months.

In December, Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs), who turned 32 on Feb. 24, told his advisers, Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe, that they were free to listen to offers for fights.

Earlier this month, Mayweather's father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., who trains Hatton, told media members (who were on a teleconference to discuss Hatton-Pacquiao) that his son's ring return was imminent.

"Of course, there is no question about it," Mayweather Sr. said. "He's trying to get a fight right now, as we speak. He's gonna fight again."

Haymon could not be reached for comment. Ellerbe did not return numerous telephone messages and e-mails.

I think he should fight Shane Mosely....makes more sense to me.

thats why i respect Marvin Hagler, when he said he was retiring, he actually meant it.

Mosley could've fought PBF in 2006, but Mosley turned it down for some reason or another

on another note, Vitali Klitchsko fights Juan Carlos Gomes on ESPN Classic at 6pm(est) and Roy Jones Jr. fight Omar Sheika on ppv for some reason

Edited by StillUnknown

Tests: Margarito hand wraps

Elements of plaster of Paris found Hardened gauze pads confiscated from Antonio Margarito’s hand wraps contained calcium and sulfur, two of the primary elements of plaster of Paris, according to tests by a California State Department of Justice laboratory it has been reported by the LA Times. State supervising deputy attorney general Karen Chappelle told the paper that the State Athletic Commission’s decision to suspend Margarito and his trainer Javier Capetillo appear to be supported by the findings.

March 27th, 2009

that man should never be allowed in a boxing ring again, nor should his trainer

a meaningful HW fight tonight on Friday Night Fights, Eddie Chambers vs. Sam Peter. Peter is coming in to this fight at 265lbs, way too heavy for him. Chambers will outbox him to a decision victory

Wow. BTW, Gary Russell Jr. has the flu so won't be fighting on Showtime tomorrow :(

Punisher vs. Winky 2 weeks from tomorrow :)

This is interesting:

[Punisher] even thought about moving up in weight one more division. “If the money’s right and the opponent is right, I’d fight up to 168 pounds,” Williams said. “I’ll take on Bernard Hopkins or Joe Calzaghe but I have to get past Winky Wright.”
Man, he'll take on ANYBODY. 168 might be pushing it, but hell, he seems fine at 160. Man I'd LOVE Punisher-Pavlik though: possible FOTY right there.

Wow. BTW, Gary Russell Jr. has the flu so won't be fighting on Showtime tomorrow :(

Punisher vs. Winky 2 weeks from tomorrow :)

This is interesting:

Man, he'll take on ANYBODY. 168 might be pushing it, but hell, he seems fine at 160. Man I'd LOVE Punisher-Pavlik though: possible FOTY right there.

don't sell tomorrow's showtime card short though. Andre Dirrell is on the card and is a very good prospect at 168.

he has the fastest hands i've seen in that division since Roy Jones Jr. i'm not saying they are comparable in overall skill, but Dirrell's handspeed for that division is amazing. He is also very good at switching from orthodox to southpaw in the blink of an eye w/o losing any of his offense

Edited by StillUnknown

don't sell tomorrow's showtime card short though. Andre Dirrell is on the card and is a very good prospect at 168.

he has the fastest hands i've seen in that division since Roy Jones Jr. i'm not saying they are comparable in overall skill, but Dirrell's handspeed for that division is amazing. He is also very good at switching from orthodox to southpaw in the blink of an eye w/o losing any of his offense

Wow, don't know if I've seen anyone who can use both stances.

Wow, don't know if I've seen anyone who can use both stances.

lots of fighters switch stances in the middle of a fight, not many do it as fluidly and effectively as Dirrell. its common for a fighter to switch stances to give his opponent a different look

check out this video of Dirrell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIXP7TcHG7Y

i've never seen a cut that deep from one single clean punch

I have a question for some of you boxing fans in the know. Have any of you ever heard of a guy named Mike Wilson out of Medford Oregon? He hasn't had a pro fight yet, but he won the super heavyweight US championships in 2004, 2005, and 2006 (well he was stripped of the 2006 title). Anyway, he is my brother in law and his first pro fight is an under card for the Paul Williams vs Winky Wright on April 11th. I don't even know who he is supposed to fight and I can't find it anywhere online. I don't follow boxing very close so I don't know any good places to look. If someone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

They threw in the towel because they realized he was eating shot after shot w/o doing anything in return. he spent the whole fight walking forward w/o throwing anything. Dirrell had no killer instinct last night, he treated that fight like a sparring session. almost like he knew the guy he was fighting had no chance and he didn't really want to hurt him.

168 is an open division right now, no truly dominant fighter. Dirrell will give hell to anyone he fights

Hearns showed heart, he got rocked alot of times in the fight and kept pressing. dude has the heart, just doesn't possess the ability to be a contender. sucks that he'll always have to deal with being compared to his pops, when the only thing similar about them is their name

Edited by StillUnknown

http://sports.sho.com/boxing/events/bradley-holt-apr-4-2009.html

good fight tonight on showtime: Timothy Bradley vs Kendall Holt

Unification of the Junior Welterweight (WBC/WBO) titles (140 lbs).

Holt is a very dangerous puncher with good skills. Bradley is just a little more aggressive with good skills. Hoping for a great fight. I got Bradley in a split decision.

Also, Librado Andrade vs Vitali Tsypko (IBF super middleweight championship) 168 lbs

that fight put me to sleep (literaly) neither fighter impresses me at all. Bradley is quick and has some boxing skills, but he lack any kind of punching power. Holt looks like he was outclassed, his only hope was to land a monster counter punch.

the new Tyson Documentary that got tons of great reviews at Cannes Film Festival leaked on the internets

i haven't watched it, but if i did, i would say it was very well put together. interesting to hear tyson's perspective on his career of ups and downs

definitely worth a viewing if you get the opportunity

Looking forward to Punisher-Winky Saturday :box:

very intriguing fight. The savy vet defender vs. the punisher.

If winky hadn't been idle for over a year, I'd pick him to win a split decision...but that isn't the case, so I'm going to go with a majority decision for Williams

i'm thinking paul's workrate will win him rounds, even if the shots don't do much physical damage to winky. Winky's never been a high volume guy anyway and with the 2year layoff, there's bound to be some rust attached. Winky's best shot is to trap paul against the ropes. in the middle of the ring, paul's freakish reach will be hard for winky to handle

unanimous decision for Paul, something in the range of 116-112 or 117-111

Edited by StillUnknown

weights for tomorrow's fights:

Paul Williams: 157lbs

Winky Wright: 159lbs

Chris Arreola: 255lbs 3.gif

Jameel McCline: 271lbs

Arreola should be at 235lbs, 240lbs at the most. after every fight he says he's going to train harder and do better..........and this is supposed to be America's best HW prospect :doh:

Arreola :doh:

He hits hard enough that he may be able to get by, but not when he faces a top challenger (how's McCline supposed to be; 271? :yikes: )

No problem making weight for Paul.

BTW, former world champ and Beltway Boxer DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley is on Friday Night Fights tonight.

Arreola :doh:

He hits hard enough that he may be able to get by, but not when he faces a top challenger (how's McCline supposed to be; 271? :yikes: )

No problem making weight for Paul.

BTW, former world champ and Beltway Boxer DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley is on Friday Night Fights tonight.

McCline always been a big muscular type of dude, but 271 is still high. he's not that big a threat, seems to come up small in big fights. he did knock Sam Peters down 3 times in their fight, he's got great power, but thats about it.

Edited by StillUnknown