Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Marquez vs Katsidis was an incredible fight you were right SU. What do you think of the ref stoppage?

I thought it was proper, you could see Katisidis was starting to tire and his defense was dropping. guys like him, will throw punches on muscle memory alone, his breed doesn't really know how to cover to regain his composure. ref did a good job of saving the fighter from himself

Katsidis is always good for an action fight, he'll never be a legit champ, but you'll always see him on TV

Hey SU:

Pacquiao/Marquez or Pacquiao/Mosley?

Pacquiao/Marquez would be the much more competitive fight. in his last fight, Mosley fought to a draw against Sergio Mora...........let that sink in for a moment. Shane has gassed hard in the 2nd half of his last 2 fights, Pacquiao would finish him inside of 9 rounds. Marquez seems to have a style that Pacquaio has trouble with. If you look at their first 2 fights, Marquez has actually won more rounds (the knockdowns are what helped Pacquiao to a draw in the 1st fight and controversial decision in the 2nd fight.

of the two though, Mosley has a better chance of landing the fight since he's no longer contractually obligated to Golden Boy Promotions. the only person outside of Top Rank Promotions that Manny has a chance of fighting is Mayweather (which probably won't happen, due in large part to the amount of bad blood between Mayweather & Arum since Arum promoted Floyd early in his career)

Marquez called out Pacquiao and ripped the previous fighters he beat. He also says he won both of their previous fights (I think he def won the first one, if you give the 2nd to Pacquiao by a little thats fair IMO).

Marquez Shreds Pacquiao's Record, It's Getting Personal

By Jhonny Gonzalez

WBA/WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez is making it very personal with Manny Pacquiao. The Mexican warrior is using every trick in the book to land a third fight with Pacquiao. At Saturday's post-fight press conference in Las Vegas, Marquez wore a t-shirt with the message "Marquez Beat Pacquiao Twice" on the front. Marquez is telling everyone who will listen that Pacquiao is running from a trilogy battle.

"I do not blame Manny Pacquiao for ducking me. He knows that no other boxer in the world has taken him to the edge. He knows that I beat him and they ruled it a draw, and he also knows that I won the second fight by decision, but the judges stole it away," Marquez said.

Marquez has been studying Pacquiao's every move since their rematch. When discussing Pacquiao's recent record of big wins, he ripped every single victory from the last two years.

"I have studied Pacquiao, and if you take a look, all of his recent opponents have the same characteristics. They all come forward, and those are the kind that he prefers. Likewise, those who promote him have managed to always give him the ideal opponents," Marquez said.

"I'll begin with Ricky Hatton, who was knocked out by Floyd Mayweather. He fought Oscar De La Hoya, who in ten years had not gone down to welterweight. Then Miguel Cotto, who got beat by Antonio Margarito. He beat Marco Antonio Barrera, who lost to me. He fought Joshua Clottey, who can't punch. And now he battered Margarito, who had been knocked out by Shane Mosley, and only had a single fight in almost two years."

• 2 weeks later...

a good night of fights on both HBO & Showtime tonight, all things being equal, I believe's Showtime will have the better fights tonight.

on HBO we have:

Amir Khan vs. Marcos Maidana: the difference in speed in this fight will be comical. Khan has the fastest hands in boxing outside of Mayweather, and now that he's with Roach, he's learning how to use his weapon in a more efficient fashion. He has to use those weapons because he may have the worst chin of any potentially great boxer in the game today. Maidana may possess the hardest shot at 140lbs so he definitely has a chance. I see this fight going one of two ways, either Khan schools him for most of the fight getting a late stoppage or Maidana crushes him with something before the final bell rings. I'm going with Khan by late (T)KO or a wide unanimous decision

Victor Ortiz vs. Lamont Peterson: Them Peterson boys seem to be a little too carefree in big fights, almost as if they are just happy to be there. Peterson has the skill to outbox Ortiz, but he doesn't possess the power to make Ortiz question himself like when he quit against Maidana. Ortiz will be cautious, but his power and combinations will look nice for judges en route to a unanimous decision.

On Showtime you have a 4 man, single elimination batamweight tournament:

Vic Darchinyan vs. Abner Mares: I love Mares' game, but he's stepping up big in competition against Darchinyan. It really depends on which Vic shows up to fight. If he uses his boxing ability to set up the power shots he'll have a much easier time. If he goes in simply looking for the KO, Mares' has the ability and skill to make him pay. I'm going with Mares in an upset by Unanimous Decision

Yonnhy Perez vs. Joseph Agbeko II: There first fight was a fight of year candidate, and I can't remember more combined punches being thrown in a bout. Agbeko has more heart & will than actual skill, but Perez has the same amount of heart with more skill to his game though. It should be competitive but I'm taking Perez by Unanimous Decision

Edited by StillUnknown

Khan's chin is gonna cost him late in this fight. Maidana with a late KO (only after getting abused by Khan for the entire fight). Ortiz will outbox Peterson and get UD. Perez over Agbeko in a good action fight via SD. Darchinyan wins with a late KO. My 2 cents for the night.

good night of fights last night, 3 of the 4 televised bouts were great fights (Ortiz/Peterson being the only stinker in the group)

Khan survived Maidana, emphasis on the word survive. that body combination that Khan dropped Maidana with in the first was thing of beauty. Maidana just has the heart of a lion though. Khan was out on his feet in the 10th, but Maidana just couldn't land that shot to drop him.

Mares vs. Darchinyan was a close back and forth fight. i scored it for Mares slightly, but it was a great fight. Agbeko surprised me in how easily he outboxed Yohnny Perez. his fight with Mares should be another fight of the year candidate next year

Yeah, that was some good boxing. Except for the Ortiz/Peterson crap. Wanted Maidana to KO Khan so bad. If he had a some better boxing skills, he would be really dangerous. Still a great fight. Thought Khan was gonna stop him early. Khan has the speed and skills, but his chin will be his downfall eventually. Can't wait for Bradley and Alexander in January.

I had Amir winning by KO earlier before the fight. If the knockdown in the first round was earlier, Maidana does not survive it. That was a liver shot and he was saved by the bell. Looks like Maidana also lacks the courtesy to touch gloves and tried to steal ashot on Amir in the first round.

Amir got lucky he was able to hold on. I thought he was in trouble in the 10th round... He can't always imitate Manny's style of fighting by inviting Maidana to come at him on the ropes. He ended up back pedalling the last few rounds.

Bernard Hopkins vs. Jean Pascal tonight on Showtime.

Bernard has looked terrible his last couple of fights. Pascal shocked every non-canadian by beating Chad Dawson. Pascal does alot of things wrong in the ring, but his athleticism allows him to get away with most of it. the fights in canada so he has a great shot of getting a decision as long as he stays busy. he needs to be aggressive to not give hopkins the chance to think his way through this fight. it wouldn't shock me if B-Hop wins, but he has looked putrid his last 2 fights, i'm going with Pascal by unanimous decision tonight.

good luck convincing people it will be competitive

Mosley fought to a draw against Sergio Mora in his last fight................let that sink in, Sergio Mora

I just knew Mosley would be his next match up. I've been calling it since he beat Margarito.

I, for one, am excited about this match up.

I just knew Mosley would be his next match up. I've been calling it since he beat Margarito.

I, for one, am excited about this match up.

i'm not, its a lamb being led to the slaughter

these were Bob Arum's words immediately after Mosley's draw against Mora:

“I read them saying Mosley was huffing and puffing for air in the fourth or fifth round,” Arum told Marley. “To me, that is the real tipoff for an aging fighter. Even Big George Foreman did that in his 40s, but he always had that big, big punch, like in the (Michael) Moorer fight. What I’ve read is not very supportive to make any Mosley-Pacquiao bout. Look, he’s going to be 40 and he’s in the lighter weights, where speed is so important. He’s on a show with guys … old enough to be his son.

“I guess Shane needs the money due to his (divorce). I’ve always considered Shane to be a nice guy but this is what happens to fighters when they age. It’s like (Bernard) Hopkins: He still knows how to fight, but who wants to pay to see him now? His fights are not very scintillating. What you see with Hopkins, we’re beginning to see with Mosley.”

if Mosley makes it to the 6th round i'll be shocked

Edited by StillUnknown

i'm not, its a lamb being led to the slaughter

these were Bob Arum's words immediately after Mosley's draw against Mora:

if Mosley makes it to the 6th round i'll be shocked

Its exactly what I thought when I heard about the match up. Putting Mosley in front of Pacman to be sacrificed in front of the entire boxing world.

I mean its either watching Berto get dropped, or Mosley. Either or, Manny is putting someone to sleep come May 7.