Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Paul's only 1.5 inches shorter, but has a 7-inch longer reach. Paul's also quick with his head, and maybe not enough power for a one-punch KO, but he has enough power that he'll hurt you and punches SO quickly that he can just overwhelm the opponent causing a TKO (see the rematch vs. Quintana or vs. Andy Kolle).

That won't matter. Pavlik had to go up over 10 lbs against Hopkins. PW will have to go up at least that much against KP. KP's power will absolutely kill Williams.

That won't matter. Pavlik had to go up over 10 lbs against Hopkins. PW will have to go up at least that much against KP. KP's power will absolutely kill Williams.

Paul's volume could give Pavlik trouble, he doesn't have the best D to begin with. i could see Paul's Offense stifling Pavlik's offense

bump for tonights double header on showtime at 9pm (est). all 4 fighters made weight and look to be in tremendous shape

i got Bradley over Campbell by unanimous Decision and Devon Alexander over Junior Witter by Unanimous Decision

Edited by StillUnknown

What I thought was going to be a very good night of boxing turned out to be crap. Devon Alexander displayed a decent chin, speed, accuracy and aggression. Too bad Junior Witter didn't act like a champion. Witter got frustrated by Alexander & the referee. Witter threw too many wild shots and didn't look like he wanted to fight Devon's fight. You got to be able to adjust in boxing. Not sure if he was actually hurt, but I'll take his word for it. Think he just quit cause he was losing just about every round. Good win by Alexander.

The main event between Nate Campbell and Timothy Bradley was crazy. Thought that would be a good fight also. The speed and aggressiveness of Bradley was great. Campbell should have popped him with stiff jabs to keep Bradley off. Bradley does lead with his head constantly, so I see where the head butt is his 3rd weapon. However, in the 3rd round, that was a legitimate butt that caused the cut above Campbell's eye. Ref saw it, but said the blood didn't flow until he was punched in the eye. Looking at the replay, shows that Campbell was covering up the cut as he backed away stating he was butted. Fight was stopped at end of the round and should have been ruled a no-contest. Referee blew that one in my opinion.

What i didn't like was after the fight the arguing by Campbell about the head butt. He was right. However, Bradley didn't say anything. He just stood there looking shocked. His promoter Gary Shaw did all the talking for him. Campbell wants a rematch. Don King wants a rematch. Shaw doesn't want a rematch. Bradley looked scared. Don't think he wants a rematch, but money talks. I like Bradley, but lost a little respect for him. He talked trash before the fight (normal). He did his work in the ring (as usual). But he didn't talk trash until after Campbell left the ring stating the same thing would happen if they fought again. When Campbell was complaining, Bradley looked like a scared little kid hiding behind his entourage. We'll see what the future holds for both, because both promoters are greedy SOB's.

:2cents:

i was very impressed with Devon Alexander. he's only 22yrs old but managed to keep his composure and calm against Junior Witter's "style". Witter's style and holding would've frustrated most young fighters, Devon didn't looked fazed at all. that is a testament to great training. i look forward to seeing him in the future. Witter's career is over. the ref told him between rounds he wasnt going to allow him to keep holding and he quit immediately.

Nate Campbell seemed to be looking for a way out of that fight imo. i think he knew the night wasnt going his way and tried to end it early on the no contest, i cant respect that. on the other hand, he was absolutely right. that cut was clearly caused by a headbutt. i dont know how the ref missed it, he staring right at it when it happened. that ref seemed slow to react to anything that happened in the ring.

from the way Gary Shaw was talking, i doubt there will be a rematch. i wouldn't mind seeing Bradley fight Alexander next. seems like a logical match

Arreola to get shot at Vitali's titleGo Chris!

It's in Chris's hometown of LA; HUGE advantage there. Thoughts?

SU, what fight is that?

i'm not giving him much of a chance. he's fighting the wrong brother, Vitali is the one with the good chin and Chris leaves himself open to be hit. Chris is going down, probably in brutal fashion

Diego Corrales vs. Jose Luis Castillo I. if you havent seen it, do so immediately. in terms of pure in the ring entertainment and competiveness, it can stand next to any fight in boxing's history. if you need a link, let me know

Edited by StillUnknown

Diego Corrales vs. Jose Luis Castillo I. if you havent seen it, do so immediately. in terms of pure in the ring entertainment and competiveness, it can stand next to any fight in boxing's history. if you need a link, let me know

I agree....I told my dad that it was the best fight in history and he laughed at me. All the "old timers" like to believe that nothing of today can stand up to what they grew up with.

It is too bad they ruined that "could have been great trilogy" with Castillo coming in overweight twice. Irony is, Corrales made such a big deal about Castillo coming in over weight (for the second time in a row) for the third fight, and then Corrales showed up overweight for his next fight...haha

Seems like Castillo was screwed.

From wiki: Finally, in the tenth round, Castillo knocked Corrales down, causing Corrales to spit out his mouthpiece. This allowed some extra recovery time for Corrales while it was cleaned and put back in. Seconds later, Castillo knocked Corrales down again. Once on the ground, Corrales again spat his mouthpiece out, allowing him yet more recovery time.

Seems like Castillo was screwed.

From wiki: Finally, in the tenth round, Castillo knocked Corrales down, causing Corrales to spit out his mouthpiece. This allowed some extra recovery time for Corrales while it was cleaned and put back in. Seconds later, Castillo knocked Corrales down again. Once on the ground, Corrales again spat his mouthpiece out, allowing him yet more recovery time.

I wouldn't say someone got screwed unless you actually saw the fight. you can't read something from wikipedia and make any kind of educated assumption.

I'm pretty sure Carrales was warned the first time he spit out his mouth piece, and then had a point deducted the second time.

You should watch the fight; like stillunknown....that is the best fight I've ever seen!

I may be late to the party on this because I haven't read the last few pages, but did anyone else see that Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams is signed for October 3rd?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4392749

Sorry if I'm late on that. Oh, and Vitali is going to kill Arreola. The dude is a soft punching bag. I have been completely unimpressed watching him fights. America's next great heavyweight is going to have to come from somewhere else.

I may be late to the party on this because I haven't read the last few pages, but did anyone else see that Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams is signed for October 3rd?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4392749

Sorry if I'm late on that. Oh, and Vitali is going to kill Arreola. The dude is a soft punching bag. I have been completely unimpressed watching him fights. America's next great heavyweight is going to have to come from somewhere else.

you're not late at all. thats the first link i've seen that confirms the fight. all the others were talking about the negotiations. glad to see that fight getting made, its the best opponent for each fighter.

i think Paul's chin will hold up against Pavlik, and the Punisher will win a comfortable Unanimous Decision

I agree....I told my dad that it was the best fight in history and he laughed at me. All the "old timers" like to believe that nothing of today can stand up to what they grew up with.

It is too bad they ruined that "could have been great trilogy" with Castillo coming in overweight twice. Irony is, Corrales made such a big deal about Castillo coming in over weight (for the second time in a row) for the third fight, and then Corrales showed up overweight for his next fight...haha

I actually got that second fight for free on PPV. I saw the first fight on Showtime and it was one of the best fights I'd seen since the Ward-Gatti wars. So I ordered the second fight on PPV. It was supposed to be for the title but Castillo came in over weight so they just fought for nothing. So I called Comcast the next day and complained that I paid 60 bucks for a title fight and I didn't get a title fight. They agreed and reimbursed me. Hustling baby.

And as far as Castillo getting screwed, yeah Corrales spit his mouthguard out. But Castillo still got ktfo. And the mouthpiece didn't do that. That fight was his and he lost it, mouthpiece or not.

It's official now, sweet.

I was talking to someone last night (Ring Announcer Henry "Dis-com-bob-u-lating" Jones, and he said they're gonna try to get a bus trip up there. If not too expensive, I'm in:

1) It's freaking AC!

2) Paul's possibly my favorite current fighter.

3) Should be a VERY FUN fight to watch.

he was very carefully matched to limit his exposure. the three times he's been in with good boxers (Calzaghe, Jermaine Taylor, & Roy Jones Jr) he's looked completely out his league

pretty much sums it up....really disappointing! Jeff Lacy is one of my favorite fighters. I used to watch all his fights on showtime.