Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

I prey that Haye brings some excitement back to the heavyweight division. I'm sick of all these big technical fighters, give me the smaller guys that can punch and move.

Diaz got destroyed by Campbell. I wonder what fight the one judge who scored in Diaz' favor was watching.

i like Haye alot, but he doesn't have the chin to stand up to the heavyweight fighters. he'll have to hope his power carries over, but he's been knocked down before by cruiserweights, so i'm sure heavy's will do the same. although his handspeed should give him a considerable advantage in some fights. i look forward to his next fight at heavyweight.

Campbell shocked me tonight, i knew he was a great fighter, but i didn't think he would be able to match Diaz's pace. he not only matched he exceeded it. he punished diaz in the late rounds especially. that body work campbell put in during the first 3 rounds paid tremendous dividends in the end. Diaz's eye looked horrible at the end of that fight, it was completely closed. great fight though.

Peter's did what i expected him to do. he did impress me tonight with his head movement. his defense has improved dramatically over the last couple of years. he looked bad against McCline, but he rebounded nicely in this fight. he was patient with his shots, showed his jab some, and displayed much better defense in this fight. its nice to know that he is still improving as a fighter and not just resting on his ridiculous punching power.

• 2 weeks later...

Emmanuel Steward's protege, Middleweight Prospect Andy Lee, caught his first loss on Friday Night Fights to Brandon Vera. Lee dropped Vera in the 1st but Vera fought strong in the later rounds. Lee threw his left hand often, but never followed up. Vera ate some big shots, but they only came one at a time. Lee's defense was almost non-existent, he got repeatedly hit with big shots in the 7th and the ref called it off. Questionnable stoppage though, as Lee was clearly hurt, but still throwing punches.

On saturday, Joel Casamyor scored a TKO against Michael Katsidis in an absolute war. One of the best fights of the year so far. Casamyor dropped Katsidis twice in the first. Katsidis came back to control the fight for the next few rounds. Katsidis knocked Casamyor through the ropes in the 6th, but Casamyor was able to get back in before the count. then in the 10th, Katsidis rushed in and was flatlined with a hellacious punch that dropped him hard: joel-casamayor_michael-katsidis.gif. He was able to answer the 10count, but ate two more big shots before the ref stopped it.

Emmanuel Steward's protege, Middleweight Prospect Andy Lee, caught his first loss on Friday Night Fights to Brandon Vera. Lee dropped Vera in the 1st but Vera fought strong in the later rounds. Lee threw his left hand often, but never followed up. Vera ate some big shots, but they only came one at a time. Lee's defense was almost non-existent, he got repeatedly hit with big shots in the 7th and the ref called it off. Questionnable stoppage though, as Lee was clearly hurt, but still throwing punches.

On saturday, Joel Casamyor scored a TKO against Michael Katsidis in an absolute war. One of the best fights of the year so far. Casamyor dropped Katsidis twice in the first. Katsidis came back to control the fight for the next few rounds. Katsidis knocked Casamyor through the ropes in the 6th, but Casamyor was able to get back in before the count. then in the 10th, Katsidis rushed in and was flatlined with a hellacious punch that dropped him hard: joel-casamayor_michael-katsidis.gif. He was able to answer the 10count, but ate two more big shots before the ref stopped it.

yeah, that Casamyor fight was great....I don't think it compares to the Vasquez/Marquez fight though!

Brandon Vera? Did I miss something?

• 2 months later...

Some big fights tonight:

SHOWTIME:

-Rematch between Quintana and Williams for the WBO welterweight title

-Forrest vs. Mora for the WBC light heavyweight title

HBO:

-Juan Manuel Lopez vs. Ponce de Leon for the WBO super bantamweight title

-Pavlik vs. Lockett for the WBC and WBO middleweight titles

being of big fan of Paul Williams, i was very disappointed in his performance against Quintana last time out. I hope he rebounds, but i think Quintana just may be a bad style match up for him. several great boxers always seem to have that one style they can't beat (such as Shane Moseley against Vernon Forrest or Winky Wright). this fight will be closer, but i still expect Quintana to score a decision.

Mora has been fighting bums ever since winning The Contender and should've lost to one of them but got a gift decision. Forrest should win easy

Pavlik better win this fight with relative ease, Lockett is tough, but Pavlik is in a different league.

Ponce De Leon vs. Lopez will be interesting. De Leon has some trouble when fighters actually sit down and box him. Lopez has that capability to box and frustrate De Leon. i'm going to go with Lopez in a slight upset by decision

WOW!!! :yikes: Williams TKOd Quintana in the first round! :rubeyes:

Quintana got in a few punches, but Williams knocked Quintana down, which didn't end it, but Paul knocked him down again and the ref stopped it (right call IMO. Quintana had NOTHING left).

2:15 into the first.

Ring up Pavlik for another K.O. He disposed of Lockett real quick. 3rd round KO.
TKO. Towel thrown in, but yeah. Ponce de Leon also got TKOd in the first. Mora won over Forrest in a mixed decision.

WOW!!! :yikes: Williams TKOd Quintana in the first round! :rubeyes:

Quintana got in a few punches, but Williams knocked Quintana down, which didn't end it, but Paul knocked him down again and the ref stopped it (right call IMO. Quintana had NOTHING left).

2:15 into the first.

i picked Quintana to win this fight, but i'm glad Williams won. as i've stated before in this thread, i'm a big fan of Paul Williams. i thought i saw something in Quintana's game that indicated a bad matchup for Williams, but he ran through Quintana in impressive fashion. he improved dramatically from that first fight as he actually set up his power shots instead of just winging them. very impressive TKO, i think he should be in line to face the winner of Cotto/Margarito, especially if Margarito wins as Williams already has a victory over Margarito.

Juan Manuel Lopez will be a fixture on pound 4 pound rankings. i thought he would beat Ponce De Leon, but i didn't expect him to blaze through him the way he did. Manuel Lopez is a slick boxer with tremendous power, he's a nightmare match up for alot of people

Pavlik did as expected, nothing more, nothing less.

Vernon Forrest looked old, Mora looked better than usual, thus an upset occurs. Still not sold on Mora being that good a fighter, but he clearly deserved the win again Forrest

I was just wondering, is anyone else that is a fan of boxing just sickened when you see a former contender beat someone? It just irks me to death that these guys are even considered for a fight on either of HBO or Showtime. I mean for starters Gomez only beat Gatti because Gatti was 100 years old (which was very sad to see) and Mora was matched with a 37 year old Vernon Forrest I mean c'mon if you really want to promote these guys have them fight someone at least close to their age before blowing everyone's skirts up or have them fight no one at all. I'm sorry but the contender did nothing for boxing except make real fans want to puke when they are infused into anything more than a wednesday or friday night line up. (And that is being generous)

"Course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

i picked Quintana to win this fight, but i'm glad Williams won. as i've stated before in this thread, i'm a big fan of Paul Williams. i thought i saw something in Quintana's game that indicated a bad matchup for Williams, but he ran through Quintana in impressive fashion. he improved dramatically from that first fight as he actually set up his power shots instead of just winging them. very impressive TKO, i think he should be in line to face the winner of Cotto/Margarito, especially if Margarito wins as Williams already has a victory over Margarito.
Makes sense to me. And then maybe Mayweather's vacated title?

I was just wondering, is anyone else that is a fan of boxing just sickened when you see a former contender beat someone? It just irks me to death that these guys are even considered for a fight on either of HBO or Showtime. I mean for starters Gomez only beat Gatti because Gatti was 100 years old (which was very sad to see) and Mora was matched with a 37 year old Vernon Forrest I mean c'mon if you really want to promote these guys have them fight someone at least close to their age before blowing everyone's skirts up or have them fight no one at all. I'm sorry but the contender did nothing for boxing except make real fans want to puke when they are infused into anything more than a wednesday or friday night line up. (And that is being generous)

"Course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

I can't say I agree with this. I thought the show wasn't a bad idea to draw casual fan interest to a sport where it has been declining. I also thought Mora deserved to win. He's not a bomber by any means, but he is a smart fighter, and he took advantage of a situation that was presented to him. As a titleholder, he'll have to fight some serious competition, so we'll see how good he is.

Season 1's cast wasn't that talented

I'm only quoting this part because season one is the only season where I saw every episode. I didn't think the cast was untalented. Certainly, there were a few guys who definitely didn't belong (Brent Cooper, Jeff Fraza) but overall, it was pretty strong. I thought this season was the best produced, with the background stories and competitions. Plus, it had great comedy, like Sly Stallone actually trying to give boxing advice to real boxers.

Pavlik is an absolute beast. Too much power, size, and smarts for anyone within 15 pounds of his weight class.

Couldn't agree more. Kelly Pavlik is an animal. I would love to see a fight between him and Joe Calzaghe.

I can't say I agree with this. I thought the show wasn't a bad idea to draw casual fan interest to a sport where it has been declining. I also thought Mora deserved to win. He's not a bomber by any means, but he is a smart fighter, and he took advantage of a situation that was presented to him. As a titleholder, he'll have to fight some serious competition, so we'll see how good he is.

I'm only quoting this part because season one is the only season where I saw every episode. I didn't think the cast was untalented. Certainly, there were a few guys who definitely didn't belong (Brent Cooper, Jeff Fraza) but overall, it was pretty strong. I thought this season was the best produced, with the background stories and competitions. Plus, it had great comedy, like Sly Stallone actually trying to give boxing advice to real boxers.

Couldn't agree more. Kelly Pavlik is an animal. I would love to see a fight between him and Joe Calzaghe.

He would knock Calzaghe down if not a KO he would win a decision based on that. Calzaghe was having problems with BHOP's power i'd hate to see him getting hit for 12 rounds by Pavlik.

He would knock Calzaghe down if not a KO he would win a decision based on that. Calzaghe was having problems with BHOP's power i'd hate to see him getting hit for 12 rounds by Pavlik.

B-Hop is more a crafty boxer than Pavlik. B-Hop is good at disguising his punches so that you by time you see them coming its too late. Pavlik is more straight-forward in his boxing approach. he does everything well, throws his punches in the correct manor, but nothing will surprise his opponents.

this is actually a testament to just how fundamentally sound Pavlik is at throwing his punches because people know whats coming but still can't seem to do anything about it.

i think Calzaghe would actually have a pretty good shot at a decision victory against Pavlik. Pavlik hasn't fought a boxer of Calzaghe's level yet. Pavlik has made a name walking through brawlers in very impressive fashion. Miranda has all the power in the world, but not much technical skill. Taylor is more of the same, a big puncher with not much technical skill. Taylor presented a little bit of a problem for Pavlik in the 2nd fight when he actually tried to box, which is why the 2nd fight went the distance. Calzaghe won't have a chance to KO Pavlik because he simply doesn't have the power, but Calzaghe does have amazing handspeed for someone as big as he is. the fact that Pavlik has a tendency to come straight forward could lead to him being hit with combinations he hasn't seen before.

i would favor Pavlik in the match against Calzaghe, but i would not be surprised at all if Calzaghe were to win a decision against him. :2cents:

i hope that fight gets signed

• 2 weeks later...