Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Word is May/Pac did $72M live gate and 4.4M PPV buys. Both record setters.

MAYWEATHER vs. PACQUIAO EVENT SHATTERS RECORDS FOR PPV BUYS, PPV REVENUE, LIVE GATE AND MORE

Generates Combined Total Revenues In Excess of $500 Million

NEW YORK (May 12, 2015) -The boxing blockbuster event, Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao, shattered the previous record for total pay-per-view buys and now ranks as the highest-grossing pay-per-view of all time. Initial reports from distributors indicate that the event generated more than 4.4 million U.S. buys and more than $400 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue alone. With additional revenue from the live gate at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, international television distribution, sponsorships, closed circuit and merchandise sales, the event is expected to generate in excess of $500 million in gross worldwide receipts. The news was announced jointly by Showtime Networks Inc., a subsidiary of CBS Corporation, and HBO in conjunction with event promoters Mayweather Promotions and Top Rank, Inc. 

The welterweight world championship unification bout nearly doubled the previous record of 2.48 million buys generated by the Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather boxing event in 2007 and nearly tripled the record $150 million in U.S. pay-per-view revenue generated by Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez in 2013. 

Live gate receipts for the star-studded event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena produced more than $71 million in revenue, dramatically eclipsing the previous live gate record of $20 million (for Mayweather vs. Canelo) for both the sport of boxing and Las Vegas. 

Additionally, Mayweather vs. Pacquiao set the record for closed circuit admissions and revenue both in Las Vegas and at establishments nationwide. The event sold nearly 46,000 closed circuit admissions at MGM Resorts International properties in Las Vegas alone and was available at more than 5,000 bars, restaurants and commercial establishments throughout the U.S. 

Distributed in 175 countries worldwide, Mayweather vs. Pacquiao was available in essentially 75 percent of the world's territories, setting the revenue record for international distribution.

As reported last week, Mayweather vs. Pacquiao drew enormous numbers on social media. For example, Facebook reported that 37 million unique people contributed more than 115 million interactions from the start of the event to 30 minutes following its completion, a new record for a boxing event. 

The May 2 promotion included unprecedented marketing and cross-promotional support from distributors as well as record revenue from the event's major sponsors.

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao was a 12-round welterweight world championship unification bout promoted by Mayweather Promotions and Top Rank Inc., and co-produced and co-distributed by HBO PPV® and SHOWTIME PPV®. 

# # #

So with these numbers Floyd is likely to make closer to $300M and Manny about $175M, both are career high pay days. This one fight trumped Floyd's entire CBS contract. Even though a rematch would be pointless, I see it happening simply bc of these numbers. No way they even sniff these numbers a 2nd time but it's still the highest grossing fight that can currently be made. 

The crazy thing is Floyd has no real overhead. He's promised $50M to each of his kids bc of that. Sadly, Manny will probably see less than half of his purse, plus before the fight he promised to make a $40M donation to the Philippines. Even with that, still a career high earning by far.

Despite the fact that Floyd will continue to deny this to the public, I'm hearing that both sides have started initial talks for a rematch. It will happen even if Floyd loses in Sept... Simply for the financial gains the bout will bring.

The fight will happen in the MGM's new arena which is currently in the middle stages of construction but set to open early 2016. This will be the 1st fight in the new arena. The fight will sell big just bc of the story lines associated with it. It would sell even more if Floyd were to lose his nxt bout. He's money hungry but not that money hungry lol.

Manny is rumored to be looking at 3-4 month "recovery" time and a 2-3 month training window which could put him on target for a late December/early Jan tune up then the rematch in May.

Look for Manny to lose another lopsided decision to Floyd then both fighters subsequently hang up the gloves after this last big pay day. Then it's on to the new era of boxing.

So which fighter(s) take over next year as the next big ppv star(s) of the sport??

How will it sell more if Floyd was to lose in sept? Floyd is based off being undefeated can anyone knock him off the throne.

My bad for not being clear. I didn't mean it will sell more than this one. I meant the rematch will sell more if Floyd were to lose in Sept as opposed to being undefeated heading into the rematch.

My bad for not being clear. I didn't mean it will sell more than this one. I meant the rematch will sell more if Floyd were to lose in Sept as opposed to being undefeated heading into the rematch.

Theres absolutly no chance the rematch sells more than May 2 everybody knows that. I disagree with the notion that if Mayweather loses in September rather than staying undefeated that the rematch will sell more. Theres no way, everyone wants TBE to lose if he already loses before he faces Pac then the rematch loses steam. You can approach it from both fighters coming off losses and how will they respond but thats rather weak, other than the shoulder. Theres no way Mayweather will turn down another 200 million so the rematch will happen. If Mayweather loses in september "which is absolutley ludicrous because we all know Money doesn't lose" then he will rematch the fighter that would have beat him.

• Like 1

The rematch will sell regardless. The first fight turned A LOT of people off bc Floyd made it look easy and now he looks unbeatable. So many ppl will decline a 2nd fight bc they feel the outcome is pretty obvious. Now if Floyd was to somehow take an L, then he doesn't look so invincible thus (in the minds of the casuals & the like) giving Manny a chance to actually avenge the outcome of the 1st fight. People will suddenly become interested again in the rematch bc as of right now, most aren't.

If I had to go by solely what I'm seeing/hearing from the general pub, a rematch does 1.8ish

If Floyd were to some how lose before the rematch I think u can push that to AT LEAST 2.5

Also great point about Floyd doing an immediate rematch if he were to lose. You could be right but I honestly think all that would do us push the fight back to Sept.

Edited by Rexx1240

Honestly I think the first match-up did so great because if you combine the Pac fans with the casual boxing fans, both of which were pretty delusional about Pac's chances to win, you had a recipe for a ton of people buying the PPV based on a false premise. I don't think this was a PPV bought in order to witness a "good fight" it was people wanting to see Floyd lose, despite what small chance there was of it happening in reality.

Now that we have seen the fight and all these people realize the two are not on the same level, not to mention Pac not having the intangibles to make up for what he lacks physically (reach advantage). I am not sure how many people are willing to believe the fight would have any kind of different outcome the 2nd time around.

It will still sell and do great business, but beating the numbers from the first fight? No way.

• Like 1

Plus casual fans dont understand that being slick and defending yourself is actually a sign of skill. Since they expect guys to stand in front of each other and beat the hell out of each other, they see Floyd as a runner. Honestly I dont know how thy are gonna sell another fight. Casuals arent interested and fans aren't stupid. Not paying $100 more to see Floyd pick him off round after round. Id honestly rather see Floyd-Cotto go at it again

Before the Pac fight, I had never paid a penny for Floyd. In fact, I didn't even watch his previous 7-8 fights because I knew how they would end. Floyd by UD.

I didn't order the Pac-Floyd fight but I did go out and pay a small fee to see it.

I'll never pay for what I know will be a unanimous decision snoozefest. He's the best, but I'd much rather watch the rest.

Edited by Chachie

First time I've sat down to watch a GGG fight.

Wow.

Ring cutting, defense, counters & punching power in both hands? & Monroe doesn't seem like a tomato can to me, but then again I've never seen the kid fight before.

Im guessing Floyd offers GGG a fight.....

@ 135 lbs. with point deductions for not speaking English & no warnings for clinching.

• Like 1

Wow.

Ring cutting, defense, counters & punching power in both hands? & Monroe doesn't seem like a tomato can to me, but then again I've never seen the kid fight before.

Im guessing Floyd offers GGG a fight.....

@ 135 lbs. with point deductions for not speaking English & no warnings for clinching.

Lol

Wow.

The reason you've never seen him is because he isn't that good. He's what you call a "competent & professional" fighter. He shouldn't be on televised main events of a HBO card.

• Like 1

The reason you've never seen him is because he isn't that good. He's what you call a "competent & professional" fighter. He shouldn't be on televised main events of a HBO card.

Not much of a surprise. This is pro boxing after all. Everyone thinks an undefeated record is the key to big money.

I say a good trilogy with another fighter (hopefully a W, L & D so you can sell a 4th fight) is the best way to get a big payday.

Edit: lol, check out Monroe jr. Wikipedia page. List his W-L record correctly @ 19-2, but under professional boxing record it only lists the GGG fight & his last win over Bryan Vera. I'm not making this up. & his nickname is the mongoose. Ok Archie Moore. At least his dad was called the worm, haven't heard that boxing nickname in a while.

I really hope Haymon's PBC fixes this for boxing. With fight fans becoming more educated in general, I don't think you can get away with "smart boxing matchmaking" anymore & expect to draw.

Or at the very least, 5 tomato cans in a row max, then force the dude to fight someone who's not a 10-1 (or worse) underdog. Main card fights should be 3-1 underdog max, if not close to EVEN.

I like boxing, but boxing doesn't seem to like it's fans.

Edited by artmonkforHOF