Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regular season stats are in...has CP lost a step or not?

Bacon

Over the offseason, and even early into the year, many of the naysayers were starting to consider CP a washed-up back that was merely taking up cap room. Before the season began, you could really sense his frustration; he planned to give his all towards gaining back the respect of the fanbase and the league as a whole. Let's see how he did, shall we?

Att - 325

Yards - 1,262

Avg - 3.9

TD - 11

FUM - 6

Now, consider what the line has been through, plus the injury to Mike Sellers, plus the amount of carries he had to split with Betts, and, for my money, he really had a good year, particularly over the past few games. He still has some sick moves...that juke for a TD at the end of the Vikings game was particularly beastly. I'm expecting another great year from him in 2008.

Two points of note:

1. He really has regained his nose for the endzone. After an impressive 7 TDs in 7 games last season, to have another strong year in 2007 is something really hopeful. In 2004, he only had 5 rushing TDs, and in 2005 he had 11 TDs as well, but with an extra 27 carries.

2. He needs to get the Tiki Barber treatment or something, because he fumbled more this season than he has in any other. He only fumbled one more time than he did in 2002 and 2004, but he needs to get it under control, especially with the post-season right around the corner.

Thoughts?

Simple explanation... he did not go through training camp and was not in football shape at the beginning of the season. Now he is ready to go and since he is just peaking at a time when a lot of guys are banged up and fatigued, he is at a huge advantage.

Edit: Also, the line starting to play better as of late has certainly helped.

Heard Tom Jackson, of all people, on the Blitz on SportsCenter say, "They got probably the best back in football, next to Ladanian Tomlinson, running the ball in Clinton Portis." I swear he said it.

I think he might be playing his best football right now. He seems much faster than at the beginning of the year. I think he, and the defense as a close second, is our team MVP right now.

I agree, I thought he had a pretty good season. The YPC average was down under 4.0, which you don't like to see, but I think that's because he played his way back into game shape and it took the offensive line a little while to gel. The best thing about Portis is the way he can find the end zone. Only Tomlinson and Peterson had more rushing TDs than him. You feel good with the ball in his hand near the goal line, which is the mark of a big time back.

We've played in some nasty weather this year. I think that caused some of the fumbles. No he has not lost a step. He's been as good as ever. He also caught 47 passes for 389 yards. I always wonder why people discriminate between rushing yards and passing yards so much. In some of these offenses, it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

I have only one complaint about CP this year and that's abbout how he took the Allen Iverson approach to training camp.

Agreed. He needs to get a handle on his ball handling....that fumble yesterday was the first in a while...but it frustrates me to no end. I know it was wet yesterday and pretty much attributed it to that...but it has been a burden. He can fix it tho. He's healthy and looks more like the CP I've seen and loved. I hope he runs circles around the Seachickens next week:applause:

I don't think his approach to camp would have mattered if our offensive line was healthier. If you look at our first game against Miami with a full, healthy line, he still tore it up. Now that the line is healthy, Portis can be Portis again. My only concern is his fumbles. CP's fumbles + JC's fumbles = a lot of turnovers a game, and we can't win unless we protect the ball.

Att - 325

Yards - 1,262

Avg - 3.9

TD - 11

FUM - 6

Now, consider what the line has been through, plus the injury to Mike Sellers, plus the amount of carries he had to split with Betts, and, for my money, he really had a good year, particularly over the past few games. He still has some sick moves...that juke for a TD at the end of the Vikings game was particularly beastly. I'm expecting another great year from him in 2008.

The splitting carries thing is a red herring and poor excuse.

CP had more carries than any NFL back this year. However, he was 6th in yards.

That's bad. We had to feed him more than any RB in the league to get him to 1,200 yards.

Among RBs, his ypc was 68th in the league.

Among RBs, only Reggie Bush (7) had more fumbles than him. So he was 2nd in the NFL in fumbles.

But the part that really, really bothers me and is proof that he has lost his step is that despite leading the entire league in carries,

Portis only had 3 carries over 20 yards and 0 over 40.

Think about that. In 325 carries, he only had 3 over 20 yards and 0 over 40.

That's pathetic for a supposed "top RB."

Ryan Grant had almost half as many carries and he had 11 carries over 20 yads and 2 over 40.

CP is not a homer-run threat with numbers like that. His season all long was 4 yards than tackled. ANY RUNNINGBACK IN THE LEAGUE could have looked like CP if they had the number of carries he did.

Simple explanation... he did not go through training camp and was not in football shape at the beginning of the season. Now he is ready to go and since he is just now peaking at a time when a lot of guys are banged up and fatigued, he is at a huge advantage.

I disagree. He was in shape. And there was not need to risk injury in the preseason especially the way 2006 went for him. I think everything was handled correctly this year and the only reason he finished 6th in the NFL in rushing instead of 1st is because Fabini and an undrafted rookie free agent were the right side of his OL for most of the season. That is the real reason. CP cannot open the holes himself but when they are open he showed us that he still hits them very well. He has the starting OL throughout the whole year and CP breaks his own single-season rushing record. Period.

How often did the opposition stack the line to stop the run when Gibbs went into the prevent winning mode? There were a lot of times the D knew it was going to portis and just keyed on him. I know after this last 4 games that's probobly not a popular concept, but it was discussed thouroughly on this board for 4 weeks straight.

blah blah

ANY RUNNINGBACK IN THE LEAGUE could have looked like CP if they had the number of carries he did.

Wow are you serious? Some people are ridiculous with their hate for CP. Let's just break down your argument.

Among RBs, his ypc was 68th in the league.

Talk about some real stat spinning here. Of that list how many have over 100 carries? How many had over 200? 300? Of that list how many had a line that lost two of its starters and had a undrafted rookie starting at one of those spots?

Out of the top 100 in ypc:

53 of them didn't have 100 carries or more. 79 didn't have carries over 200. Only 6 running backs had 300 carries or more, of those backs (Willie Parker, LT, Edge, Lendale White, Thomas Jones, and CP) only Willie Parker and LT had a higher ypc.

Among RBs, only Reggie Bush (7) had more fumbles than him. So he was 2nd in the NFL in fumbles.

So he had the league high for carries and the league high for fumbles... shocker. Reggie Bush had more fumbles than him in what 200 less carries?

Of the Running backs with 100 carries or more Portis was tied for fifth in fumbles per carry, not good again, but definately not as bad as the picture you painted. He had a fumble every 54 carries.

Think about that. In 325 carries, he only had 3 over 20 yards and 0 over 40.

Of the 47 running backs with over 100 carries, 18 of them didn't have over 3 20+yard runs. In fact only 16 of them had over 5 20+ yard runs.

Of the 47 rbs with over 100 carries, 22 of them didn't have a 40+ yard run. This includes Brian Westbrook, Willie Parker, Reggie Bush, etc. In fact only 12 of them had over 1 run for 40+ yards.

Portis has been playing behind a broken line with a almost rookie qb for almost all year. Is he having the best season ever? No, he's not. But let's not paint the picture like its one of the worst ever either. He has the 4th highest td total for a rb in the nfl, 2nd in the nfc. He has been on fire the last couple of weeks when we needed him the most. He's is the 8th highest back in receptions, and the 7th highest in yards receiving. He is big time pass blocker and a leader for the team.

He's is the 8th highest back in receptions, and the 7th highest in yards receiving. He is big time pass blocker and a leader for the team.

are you sure? this season only LT and westbrook had more receving yards. who else had more?

P.S. CP was 3rd in the league in total yards from scrimmage. thats beastly.

How can anyone say Portis has lost a step? It's ignorant. Have you been timing him with a stop watch? Plain and simple, get on your blocks give him the ball and watch Clinton run. We arent running him into a brick wall anymore. Saunders said it himself that when campbell was in they would run to set up the pass which is very predictable. With Collins, we are alot more unpredictable and because of it teams are not just teeing off on Portis. Thats why in my opinion next year if the coaches still feel like they have to handcuff Campbell, I'd rather see Collins be named the starter.

Archived