Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regular season stats are in...has CP lost a step or not?

Bacon

His stats are really superfluous to the his production he's had lately and the impact he's had on the way to our late season run. Not just as a runner but with his protection. His ability to protect the QB has been paramount considerig the state of the right side of our line. He's coming on strong for the playoffs and I don't care what stats you trot out here to try and dog him. He'll be a key factor to any win we manage in the post season.

CP has lost a step, but he is a different kind of player now. We can debate whether he is as good a player as he was, but he has certainly lost a step.

I agree that Portis has lost a step from where he started. However, that's probably to be expected as a RB ages over time. Of note, instead of still trying to be the same player, he has adapted his game to be more of a power runner than he was in Denver. Also, there's nothing that says this is a permanent development either. It may be due to his rash of injuries over the past couple of seasons and he may get some of his speed back. A good example is Fred Taylor. I thought he was done five or six years ago when he had a lot of problems staying healthy. Since then, he's been incredibly productive.

In addition to the above, the effect our poor OL play had on Portis' production for a significant stretch of the season cannot be overstated. We went into the pre-season without a true LG and started the season with a new one. Then, to make matters worse we lost the entire right side of the OL. Too many times to count Portis was mugged before he ever got to the LOS this year. I haven't checked the stats but from anecdotal evidence, Betts' production seems to have dropped off too and Campbell was sacked a lot more than last year.

In short, Portis may not be the player he once was but he's NOT done. Rather, I think his drop in production points to the need for us to address our OL early and often in the draft...even before taking a pass rushing DE (which we really need as well).

are you sure? this season only LT and westbrook had more receving yards. who else had more?

P.S. CP was 3rd in the league in total yards from scrimmage. thats beastly.

Westbrook, LT, gore, ap (chicago), reggie bush, mjd, ronnie brown, cp in receiving yards for a RB.

And yes 3rd in the league in total yards from scrimmage is beastly, another thing to add to my argument.

The splitting carries thing is a red herring and poor excuse.

CP had more carries than any NFL back this year. However, he was 6th in yards.

That's bad. We had to feed him more than any RB in the league to get him to 1,200 yards.

Among RBs, his ypc was 68th in the league.

Among RBs, only Reggie Bush (7) had more fumbles than him. So he was 2nd in the NFL in fumbles.

But the part that really, really bothers me and is proof that he has lost his step is that despite leading the entire league in carries,

Portis only had 3 carries over 20 yards and 0 over 40.

Think about that. In 325 carries, he only had 3 over 20 yards and 0 over 40.

That's pathetic for a supposed "top RB."

Ryan Grant had almost half as many carries and he had 11 carries over 20 yads and 2 over 40.

CP is not a homer-run threat with numbers like that. His season all long was 4 yards than tackled. ANY RUNNINGBACK IN THE LEAGUE could have looked like CP if they had the number of carries he did.

obvious ignornace speaking in the form of a wannabe ES poster =p

I was down on CP but all things considered this entire offense struggled early and CP was injured and running behind a iffy o-line with a hand cuffed QB, look at what CP has done the past 5-6 games.... are you kidding me? you see only people who fake like they know something spit out ignorant comments such as this, how many KEY dumpoff passes was CP open for and picked up first downs? how many cowboys did he shake yesterday for an extra 3-4 yards? you say he runs 4 yards then hes tackled? and thats bad? my math says thats a first down and more every 3 downs.....good god man and also, HOW many KEY blocks did CP pickup? ... oh yea WAy too many to count and did our star RB go all T.O. when our offense was struggling? NOPE he kept working his ass off even after everyone was writing him off now him and TC and our outstanding defense have carried us right into the post season when we were left for dead AFTER such a thing liek the murder of his good friend and star safety and morons STILL act liek CP isnt a top 5 RB in the NFL .... ok dude...whatever :laugh: :laugh:

I cant believe people think a 26 year old Portis has lost a step. When you are one dimensional, you will be stopped. He has had way more space to run since Collins has come in and teams just cant gear up and attack portis. In the first half of the season all of our WR's were hurt, Campbell was in handcuffs and the line was in shambles. With the style of offense we are playing now, this is easily a 1500 yard season for Portis.

yea and in a year where RB yards were down in general, Portis still hiked in almost 1300, ...he never had many homeruns here because this offense isn't built that way he had several in Denver because that's the way that offense is, oh and how many games did they win this year over in Denver? ... 7? oh ok

Westbrook, LT, gore, ap (chicago), reggie bush, mjd, ronnie brown, cp in receiving yards for a RB.

And yes 3rd in the league in total yards from scrimmage is beastly, another thing to add to my argument.

Yeah, I should have looked that up before. CP really is a gem; how many other RB's have a variety of skills as great as Portis'? Rushing, pass blocking, receiving, heck...he can even throw. :laugh:

He had close to 1,300 yards this season. He was only less than a hundred yards from the third or fourth all time single season mark for rushing yards. Let's face it, without Portis this year, we wouldn't be talking about playoffs. I know betts is good, but he had a major case of the fumblitis last year and he had them in critical spots. Portis has had to adapt to a new offensive line, new qb, and the loss of his friend. Through out that time he has ran hard, made plays and blocked his way into the playoffs. I don' t think that he has lost a step at all. As a matter of fact, look at what the pro bowl back Marion Barber did yesterday- 1 yard rushing. He needed 24 yards to get to 1,000 and he didn't even get close. Thanks Pro Bowl for snubbing Portis. Hopefully, someone will decline their invitation and he will be able to get a spot on the roster.

No real training camp + banged up offensive line + Portis 1000+ yard year = impressive in my book. He did the best with what he had. Had he been as prepared as he was these last few games, he would have dominated this season. Regardless, I think he's still playing well, he could stop a few of those fumbles, but with our weak O line this season, he did well. Now that the O line is way healthier, he's performing quite well. I'm just happy to have him back and banging like he was in 2005. Looking forward to his performance in the post-season.

Id trade Champ for CP again in a heart beat, even with Carlos out next season.

Are you kidding me? After seeing Champs attitude before he left washington saying he wants to be the highest paid man in the league. He had a ego. I was glad to see him get traded. Champ let us all down. I think the skins got the better deal with CP.

CP isn't getting the respect he deserves. When portis doesn't have the ball, just watch how CP blocks. It's amazing for a RB to see what he does.

running backs are as good as their line and the result of the coaches play calling.

products of excution. when we were more consertive people knew we were going to run. that didnt help portis' numbers. but you know gibbs is not going to give up on the running game.

portis getting that many carries and not injured means he is in good game shape.

Oline was banged up, now they are not and the results are in portis' season finishing numbers.

he is the man... our line is doing well, gibbs is digging deep, and our defense is going wild.

can't wait for saturdays game.

Only a short sighted fool uses two numeric stats to try and explain Portis. I dare ANY Portis hater to debate these facts

- Has rushed us into the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 seasons

- Has single handedly been an extra lineman in pass protection

- Has the highest percentage of late season touchdowns in NFL history

- Set an NFL record for most yards ever by a running back in his first 3 seasons

Portis is a dominant running back. At 205 lbs, he is the best blocking back in the NFL. Not the 260 lbs Brandon Jacobs, not the 230 lbs Marion Barber. He gives his all. He is now the running back in a real offense where we will make teams pay for stacking the box. He gets the tough yards. He gets in the end zone. He is everything we want in a running back yet most people wont know it because their heads are too far up their asses to realize what we have. Just so they can say " I told you so" in the future.

Are you kidding me? After seeing Champs attitude before he left washington saying he wants to be the highest paid man in the league. He had a ego. I was glad to see him get traded. Champ let us all down. I think the skins got the better deal with CP.

CP isn't getting the respect he deserves. When portis doesn't have the ball, just watch how CP blocks. It's amazing for a RB to see what he does.

I think u might want to reread what he said.

i think he meant that if we had to do the trade all over again he would want us to do it... not retrade for champ.

:laugh:

Heard Tom Jackson, of all people, on the Blitz on SportsCenter say, "They got probably the best back in football, next to Ladanian Tomlinson, running the ball in Clinton Portis." I swear he said it.

I heard something similar but for some reason I thought it was Jimmy Johnson (?). What I remember, he said that CP has been hot all season. Just looking at the stats I disagree. Definitely wasn't a great season looking at the fumbles to TD ratio, but as long as we get the job done I'm not complaining.

Hopefully next year he'll get 4+ YPC

I think it is all about how he is being used. It seems Al is calling the plays now, and we are not pounding CP up the middle play after play, so his game has improved of late. CP is no Diesel, he's more of a Ferarri, relying on lateral moves and his speed bursts. CP is simply not built for pounding it off guard endlessly against a stacked box. Still don't understand how JG ever mistook him for Riggo. He has an entirely different physique and skill set. And no hogs.

And CP's pass blocking skills have only gotten better, if that's possible.

Heard Tom Jackson, of all people, on the Blitz on SportsCenter say, "They got probably the best back in football, next to Ladanian Tomlinson, running the ball in Clinton Portis." I swear he said it.

I think he might be playing his best football right now. He seems much faster than at the beginning of the year. I think he, and the defense as a close second, is our team MVP right now.

Tj did say that i watched the blitz too.

I think he might be playing his best football right now. He seems much faster than at the beginning of the year. I think he, and the defense as a close second, is our team MVP right now.

It is all the intangibles that he brings to the table. No RB blocks like portis, many of the analysts and announcers have echoed those comments.

I have thought all along he was not in game shape early in the season and was also still a little injured when he came back. It wasn't till the end of the season did we see the explosiveness from him like we did in the past.

CP has lost a step, but he is a different kind of player now. We can debate whether he is as good a player as he was, but he has certainly lost a step.
I really thought this as well, but now Im not so sure. I think he hitting the line faster than he ever has here in Washington. I think he just looked faster while he was with Denver because of the blocking scheme. I would like to know what his 40 time is now.

Archived