Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going for 2 pt conversions outside the 4th quarter

DixieFlatline

Ok, guys...i'm just as excited as everyone of you today, but if there is one thing from the game last night that got me a little perturbed it was us going for the 2 point conversion in the first half. And last week we went for it in the middle of the 3rd.

Now, I've always believed you take your one point and not worry about 2 pt conversions until late in the game because you don't know what the situation will be. Last night, if we had just taken the 1 pt, then when the Vikings got it to within 11, it really would have been 12. Thereby, needing two TDs versus a TD (with 2 pt conversion) and a FG. It made me pretty nervous if truth be told.

What do y'all think about going for 2 pts so early in the game?

No chart until the 4th quarter, then only if the team is still close enough to hurt you. Take the point, you don't have to risk going for 2 when you are dominating the other team. It's like you are planning on them scoring a bunch anyway so you will need the 2. Just keep playing and it will work out.

Its the first half, you have to take any points you can get. That one point had potential to huge. As in maybe minnesota needing two- two point conversions instead of 1 if the game got closer. But that didnt happen.

Take any points you can get when you have the lead early!!

Ok, guys...i'm just as excited as everyone of you today, but if there is one thing from the game last night that got me a little perturbed it was us going for the 2 point conversion in the first half. And last week we went for it in the middle of the 3rd.

Now, I've always believed you take your one point and not worry about 2 pt conversions until late in the game because you don't know what the situation will be. Last night, if we had just taken the 1 pt, then when the Vikings got it to within 11, it really would have been 12. Thereby, needing two TDs versus a TD (with 2 pt conversion) and a FG. It made me pretty nervous if truth be told.

What do y'all think about going for 2 pts so early in the game?

>> This gets into the topic of end-game game theory.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/17383/page1/

IMHO, outside of the 4th quarter, go for 1, there are too many things that can happen (look what happened to Dallas with the game at FedEx in 2006).

>> This gets into the topic of end-game game theory.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/17383/page1/

IMHO, outside of the 4th quarter, go for 1, there are too many things that can happen (look what happened to Dallas with the game at FedEx in 2006).

Interesting article. At first blush, I hope they don't approve that technology for use. There is something about having the human element involved in decision making that makes the game more enjoyable.

Now that being said......let's not go for 2 outside the 4th quarter again. :D

It was the right call.

If it's 23 to 21 at the end of the game, and the Vikings kick a field goal as time expires, then we're ****ed, which makes the actual difference between taking the extra point and making it 23 to 21 absolutely worthless.

However, if we DO make it and it's 24-21, then the field goal only ties the game.

It was the right call.

Silly people.

If one point does not help any more than 0, and 2 point will force your opponent to score a TD rather than a FG to catch you... YOU GO FOR IT. :doh:

Damn, some people just need to complain about anything. :doh:

Not sure I get your logic. If we had taken the one point and were up by 12 instead of 11, then they would have needed 2 TDs instead of 1 TD, 2pt conversion, and a FG.

Not sure I get your logic. If we had taken the one point and were up by 12 instead of 11, then they would have needed 2 TDs instead of 1 TD, 2pt conversion, and a FG.
Because you're looking at it from the perspective of the end of the game, instead of as it happened. The 11 pt. vs. 12 pt. difference is irrelevant because it hadn't happened yet.

At the time we scored (just before the half) a two point conversion would have made it 24 - 0 (instead of 23-0). So Vikings would have needed 3 touchdowns and a field goal to tie vs. being one point ahead if we had kicked the PA.

I believe the coaches use some kind of "cheat sheet" that has all the various possibilites, and indicates when to go for 2.

You all sound like the way Gibbs used to calls. And people used to ***** about it. Be happy he's going for their heads now, that kind of attitude is going to make us go far.

This is my thinking - people always complaining about Gibbs being conservative, etc. If you'll notice, he's not doing that anymore. Going for it on fourth is a no-brainer now, he just does it. I LOVED that 4th and goal call, even if the ref jobbed the team by overturning the TD. He's letting the players decide it and not over-managing. This is a sea-change in Gibbs-think, and it will make this team a serious contender (if not this season, then next) if he sticks with it. It has been a (maybe THE) missing element, and Gibbs has finally accepted it as a necessity (even though it goes against his nature - another testament to his willingness to adapt).

On a tactical level, it was the right call, too, as others have pointed out. The team was rolling and it was there for the taking. It also made it a four score game AT THE TIME.

Great call. I support it 100%.

its easy to say it was a bad call cuase we missed the past two games, however, i like the aggressive play calling. gibbs has really stepped up, going for it on 4th, two point conversions, better play calling late in the game. i love this. its exciting to watch and most importantly, we are winning games

Archived