Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I know it's early,but here are a few mock drafts with Redskin selections!

michael_33

Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

Harvey is a nasty athlete at 6'4'' and 245 pounds and will be able to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks. That's where the Redskins must improve next season, as they are very old at the ends of the defensive line and getting to QBs will be especially important since they took a tragic hit in the secondary, losing Sean Taylor.

I'll have more up in a few minutes!

----------------------------------

A different site:#16

Derrick Harvey

Ht/Wt: 6-4/260 lbs

Position:OLB/DE

Drafted From:Florida

Class:Junior

wow!!Don't know much about this guy...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

17. Washington Redskins - King, Justin, CB Penn State

A good physical corner to compliment Carlos Rogers. King is quietly having a very good season. His good play at the line should help an improved Redskins pass rush.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DE Sedrick Ellis, USC "Baby Sapp" is a penetrating defensive tackle that is very productive. In 2007 he recorded 8.5 sacks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Simeon Castille

(CB) Alabama Castille has great size to go along with his excellent cover skills and athleticism.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harvey has been seen around 250 lbs. as well. I don't think he is the type of person we need, especially with Carter on the other side, two speed ends don't work in run support. Sedrick Ellis sounds interesting though, as do Chris Long and Calais Campbell.

The other guy I'm starting to line is Lawrence Jackson from USC.

The site you quoted says Ellis is a DE but he's really a DT. Jackson is the DE worth looking into in the 1st round.

I see Jackson as a solid guy at the next level but he won't be making any Pro Bowls. He just doesn't have that special athleticism. I'd take a look at Tommy Blake in the second round.

With so many holes we should take the best player available or trade. I personally would entertain trading up to take Chris Long. The Pats have SF's pick and I'm sure they would enterain a trade offer.
Lol ... with so many holes to fill, why not trade downand get more picks?

Derrick Harvey is great at the college football level as a 4-3 DE, but he projects as a Shawne Merriman-type OLB in a 3-4 system at the pro level. As one poster already pointed out, we need someone who can handle both the run and the pass, perhaps someone in the mold of a Mario Williams who is 290 lbs.

Other drafts have us taking Quentin Groves out of Auburn. Most of these sites just think we need a pass-rushing DE, but we really need a two-way DE, and Groves is a lightweight at 240-260 lbs.

As for the other DEs, I wouldn't mind any of them, although I am least excited about Calais Campbell. I've heard scouting reports saying that although he's heavy at around 280 pounds, he isn't very strong for his height or weight.

I'm also a Penn Stater who has seen Justin King play CB for a number of years now, and I must say that he is having a down year. Although he's decently tall at 6'0" or 6'1", he's listed at only 185 lbs., and he might be lighter than that. I've noticed while watching him that he seems to let the receiver catch the ball an inordinate number of times, and then he swats it out of the receiver's hands. While this is great at the college level, he won't be strong enough to do that at the pro level. In any case, this draft is stocked with quality CBs, and we'll probably be able to get a corner with similar skills in Brandon Flowers in the second or third round.

we need more top-line athletes across the board - harvey seems to fit that mold- i get annoyed when people consider potenial picks just fitting in to this sqaud- the point is to get way better at all spots ----- so,

take the bpa - this years draft forcasts show a strong year for oline and dline- lucky for us

i say use mid round picks to shore up the lines and and figure out where you are going to strike gold at wr- is there a 2nd or 3rd round steal out there? if there is - use the 1st on of what seems to be many impact defenive players

c campbell de-miami

g dorsey dt-lsu

c long de-virginia

s ellis dt-usc

a cason cb-arizona

t jackson de-lsu

k rivers lb- usc

v ghoston lb- ohio st

my dream skins draft 2008

1- c campbell de miami 6-8 280

2- p white wr w.virginia 6-2 190

3- r shuening og oregon st 6-5320

4-7 cb dl ol ?

we need more top-line athletes across the board - harvey seems to fit that mold- i get annoyed when people consider potenial picks just fitting in to this sqaud- the point is to get way better at all spots ----- so,

take the bpa - this years draft forcasts show a strong year for oline and dline- lucky for us

i say use mid round picks to shore up the lines and and figure out where you are going to strike gold at wr- is there a 2nd or 3rd round steal out there? if there is - use the 1st on of what seems to be many impact defenive players

c campbell de-miami

g dorsey dt-lsu

c long de-virginia

s ellis dt-usc

a cason cb-arizona

t jackson de-lsu

k rivers lb- usc

v ghoston lb- ohio st

4-7 cb dl ol ?

LAUGH You want pat white? No offense, the guy hasn't played the WR position, he played QB at WVU, and he is NOT coming out early. Period. SO pick someone else for your 2nd pick. (And Pat white is not 6-2 more like 5-11)

LAUGH You want pat white? No offense, the guy hasn't played the WR position, he played QB at WVU, and he is NOT coming out early. Period. SO pick someone else for your 2nd pick. (And Pat white is not 6-2 more like 5-11)

I pretty much agree with you. He is listed as 6'2" on ESPN, though who knows if that is entirely accurate. If he did come out this year, taking a person who has never played wide receiver as your second pick is way risky.

Big fan of that approach especially since one of the easiest positions to fill in the last first and 2nd round are offensive lineman

You can get quality OL Guards in the third round. I don't think the Skins need to draft a tackle this year as Heyer seems to be improving with the additional starts. When Wade is healthy he's a quality backup. Jansen can also be a backup Tackle (if he loses out to Heyer) or could try to push Kendall for Guard. But, I'd like a young Guard/Center drafted to eventually take over.

4-7 cb dl ol ?

I'd prefer a DT to a DE but I'm not going to complain about it if the Skins use a first round pick on the DL. Guard in round 3 is perfect. I can understand the WR in round 2 but as much as I would hate to do it I think CB is a higher need. Springs may have to be cut due to his huge salary (and he won't restructure). Rogers will not be up to form for up to 2 years. Still, the Skins offense has always sputtered because of the passing game. I'm sure Saunders has some ideas of what the Offense needs to be successful.

I'm surprised that they have castille, alabama, going to us @ #16. as a BAMA fan I was hoping we pick him up in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'd be shocked if he is drafted in the first. guess we'd have to look at his combine numbers.

I have gone on the record in the past saying we need to draft OL in the first 3 rounds but now i'm not so sure. if healthy we have a solid O-line. for depth we have heyer (pleasant surprise), and wade. I think we should add depth but at this point a couple late round second day projects should do the trick.

So my dream draft would be like this.

1st- Campbell, Harvey or whichever DL they think is the best fit.

2nd- Castille CB (he is the perfect fit for us, springs is gone and I'm a BAMA homer)

3rd- LB- Fletcher is aging, Rocky will miss most if not all of next year, Washington could be gone.

4th-DJ hall ( if available he has high value in the 4th round and is exactly what we need at WR. We don't have to make a big splash, but our WR corp needs some help.oh and also another BAMA pick)

5th- none (right? didn't we lose this pick?)

6th- OL

7th-OL

its crazy what you can do with most if not all of your picks. in one offseason I've laid out a plan to give us an all pro DL talent, shored up the secondary, plugged an injured LB corp, and added depth to our OL. My picks, your picks, Joe's picks it don't matter its good to have picks!

I pretty much agree with you. He is listed as 6'2" on ESPN, though who knows if that is entirely accurate. If he did come out this year, taking a person who has never played wide receiver as your second pick is way risky.

The only reason to take him at all is his speed. But I wouldn't even think of using anything more than a 6th or 5th rounder on him. If he wanted to compete undrafted that's what I'd do, but he aint coming out as a junior so its a moot point.

The only reason to take him at all is his speed. But I wouldn't even think of using anything more than a 6th or 5th rounder on him. If he wanted to compete undrafted that's what I'd do, but he aint coming out as a junior so its a moot point.

I agree. For all we know at this point he has no ball catching skill at all. But yeah, if he doesn't come out then it doesn't matter. Will Rodriguez leaving WV make him want to leave early? I am with you, I would waay rather have him compete as an undranfted.

Guys like Road Warrior Animal's son and Chris Long will be gone way before we draft. I've seen Long consistently "mocked" at #2-3 overall. Looks like we'll be picking in the mid teens.

Gholston is on the rise. Would be great if we could nap him though.

Linemen 1-3, please. One DL and 2 OL, or the other way around. As Clint Eastwood said in the "Outlaw Josey Wales" we need to get "mad dog mean" up front. Color Daniels and Griffin gone.

Derrick Harvey is great at the college football level as a 4-3 DE, but he projects as a Shawne Merriman-type OLB in a 3-4 system at the pro level. As one poster already pointed out, we need someone who can handle both the run and the pass, perhaps someone in the mold of a Mario Williams who is 290 lbs.

Other drafts have us taking Quentin Groves out of Auburn. Most of these sites just think we need a pass-rushing DE, but we really need a two-way DE, and Groves is a lightweight at 240-260 lbs.

As for the other DEs, I wouldn't mind any of them, although I am least excited about Calais Campbell. I've heard scouting reports saying that although he's heavy at around 280 pounds, he isn't very strong for his height or weight.

I'm also a Penn Stater who has seen Justin King play CB for a number of years now, and I must say that he is having a down year. Although he's decently tall at 6'0" or 6'1", he's listed at only 185 lbs., and he might be lighter than that. I've noticed while watching him that he seems to let the receiver catch the ball an inordinate number of times, and then he swats it out of the receiver's hands. While this is great at the college level, he won't be strong enough to do that at the pro level. In any case, this draft is stocked with quality CBs, and we'll probably be able to get a corner with similar skills in Brandon Flowers in the second or third round.

I haven't heard that at all. I heard he was an absolute freak of nature with his athleticism at his size. Even if what you heard was true, strength can be trained through a solid workout regimen crafted by our strength trainers.

Archived