Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bobby Petrino resigns as Falcons HC.......(merged)

CowboysSaintsFan

I remember hearing recently that the Falcons were very proactive against a situation like this, because they put very strong language in his contract to prevent them from getting "Saban-ed". I'm interested to see how this whole situation unfolds, and what/how much Petrino will have to give back to the Atlanta organization.

Much of his team had grown to hate him. Having such a bad year, I'm sure he didn't anticipate nor did he think he would get such resistance to his college ways nor lose Vick forever.

What's funny to me is that I think if Spurrier just had 30 percent higher work ethic and had the offensive talent we have NOW, he might have been able to sneak into a playoff run. err, sorry, if he didn't have Kim Helton as off line coach and actually tried to adjust his scheme a little bit.

Guest ComebackKing

Whoa that's shocking. He's seemed lost making lots of weird decisions over the course of this year.

Pretty unfair test of him as an NFL HC though, that locker room must have been seriously screwed up.

What a ****ing loser. There owner A. Blank was running his lips about the future in the box during the game on MNF and how they were gonna build. Kornheiser also asked him how he felt drafting a QB and sitting him for the first year b/c thats what Petrino said he wanted. Petrino is a *****.

Well I think you gotta do whats best for you in most cases so I don't fault Petrino but the NFL has a long record of college coaches not doing well in the NFL. If you exclude Jimmy Johnson(Switzer doesn't count) what other coach from college has done squat??Memo to all NFL teams, college coaches just don't seem to work out, stop hiring them and save yourself the embarassment.

As promised:

Petrino reportedly phones in resignation to Falcons

Bobby Petrino abruptly resigned his position as coach of the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday and is negotiating an agreement to become the new coach at the University of Arkansas, multiple sources told ESPN.

Petrino and his agent had been talking with the Falcons about his preference to return to the college ranks. The former Louisville coach was looking for an opportunity to break into the Southeastern Conference ranks, and Arkansas was a natural fit.

Citing the team as its source, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on its Web site that Petrino phoned the Falcons about 5:45 p.m. Tuesday and resigned. Petrino and the team agreed he would not coach the Falcons' remaining three games, a source told ESPN.com.

Negotiations between Petrino and Arkansas are ongoing, the sources told ESPN. Once a deal is in place, Petrino is expected to be paid around $3 million a year, the sources said.

Petrino signed a five-year, $24 million contract to be the Falcons head coach, so he will be taking a pay cut to re-enter the college ranks. The Falcons are 3-10 and have had their season torn apart by Michael Vick's involvement in a dogfighting ring and subsequent 23-month jail sentence, which was levied Monday.

NFL sources told ESPN.com there was no buyout in Petrino's contract with the Falcons.

Petrino will succeed Houston Nutt, who was hired by Mississippi immediately after resigning at Arkansas. Tommy Tuberville and Tommy Bowden were both linked to the Arkansas opening, but they remained as coaches at Auburn and Clemson, respectively.

Arkansas flirted with hiring Jim Grobe -- a private fundraising arm for the Razorbacks approved a salary supplement for the Wake Forest coach -- but Grobe stayed with the Demon Deacons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783

Archived