Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bobby Petrino resigns as Falcons HC.......(merged)

CowboysSaintsFan

Vick did not fit Petrino's style at all. Petrino's offense is based on attacking downfield and underneath timing routes. Look at the guys Petrino recruited.....Brian Brohm is a prototypical drop back pocket passer, he is also 10x as accurate with the football as Vick.

Sometimes I wonder if you even watch football.

Quick, without using Google, who's been the best Falcons receiver not named Alge since Vick was drafted?

*crickets*

Exactly. If the Falcon FO surrounded Vick with even an iota of talent since 2001, he wouldn't have been considered solely a running QB.

You're a hater and you know it.

Quick, without using Google, who's been the best Falcons receiver not named Alge since Vick was drafted?

*crickets*

Exactly. If the Falcon FO surrounded Vick with even an iota of talent since 2001, he wouldn't have been considered solely a running QB.

The Falcon front office spent 2 first round picks and plenty of FA money on WR's for Vick. Its too bad he isnt accurate enough to get the ball to them, hence his abysmal completion %.

Hence why Roddy White is easily going to break 1000 yards this year with Joey Harrington throwing the ball, but never had over 506 yards in a season with Vick.

Petrino sounded like he couldn't handle the pro game. He was trying to do much of that I'll hold your scholarship over your head if you don't do what I say. I guess he wasn't aware or ignored the fact that most of the players were paid and well more than he was. At least Spurrier finished the season and he won more games than Petrino.

The Falcon front office spent 2 first round picks and plenty of FA money on WR's for Vick. Its too bad he isnt accurate enough to get the ball to them, hence his abysmal completion %.

Hence why Roddy White is easily going to break 1000 yards this year with Joey Harrington throwing the ball, but never had over 506 yards in a season with Vick.

Roddy who? Again, who was Vick's best receiver since 2001? If you're claiming Roddy White, I'll laugh at you.

And what's Harrington's record this year? When you're down 34 midway through the 3rd quarter, you tend to throw a lot.

Say whatever moronic things you want about Vick's passing ability regardless of the multiple cases of the "drops" his receivers got paid millions for. He took a no-talent team and made them competitive. Without him, they collapsed.

He's a baller and an amazing QB. Again, quit hatin' cuz he went to Tech.

How did the Vicks do against WVU anyway? I can't remember.

Say whatever moronic things you want about Vick's passing ability regardless of the multiple cases of the "drops" his receivers got paid millions for. He took a no-talent team and made them competitive. Without him, they collapsed.

I dont understand why you think people hate on him b/c he went to Tech. No offense dude but **** Virginia Tech. Michael Vick has never did one good thing for the Falcons. Yes his WRs had drops but every team does. Since Vick was in Atlanta ive seen him throw the ball all over the place with no touch or skill.Hes the worst QB I have ever seen that was considered a good QB. He made plays but when they needed a critical pass he choked.

I mean **** they lost to the Eagles in the NFC Title Game. How bad do you have to be too have your team let the Eagles in a Super Bowl? :laugh:

I don't know any one who doesn't have the utmost respect for Singletary.....And that puts him at the opposite end of the spectrum from Petrino!

SINGLETARY EMERGES AS EARLY FAVORITE TO REPLACE PETRINO

An industry source tells us that 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary is the guy whose name has initially popped up in discussions regarding the potential successor to former Falcons coach Bobby Petrino.

Per the source, Blank wants Singletary; Petrino was hired at the behest of G.M. Rich McKay.

There are multiple potential benefits that would flow from such a move. First, Singletary will be (in our view ) a great NFL head coach. Second, the thinking is that he'll straighten out a dysfunctional locker room. Third, the Falcons have the highest concentration of African-American season-ticket holders at 52 percent; in the wake of the Mike Vick fiasco the hiring of an African-American coach could go a long way toward reconnecting with an important segment of the Atlanta fan base.

In our view, however, skin color shouldn't be a factor in any hiring decision. The best person should get the job. But it would be naive to think that Blank isn't thinking about the potential impact of hiring a coach who is of the same race as a majority of the season-ticket holders, especially as the franchise moves forward without a player who is still beloved by many Falcons fans, whether white, black, purple, green, yellow, or red.

Andy follow Bobby's lead. BYU needs a leader.

Now here I have to disagree with you. I want Reid OUT as GM and Lurie to hire a real one that is good at what he does, but I'll give Reid one more year as HC.

All that would happen is MM would be given the reins, God help us. What was his record at Detroit, 4-200?

I guess contracts don't mean much anymore.

It really is a joke. Especially at the college level. They hold these kids by the shorties with these letters of intent, but the coaches can jump ship at any time.

Petrino leaving midseason is a joke. He asks his players to play injured and make sacrifices, then he doesn't even finish out the regular season- Lou Holtz style.

Roddy who? Again, who was Vick's best receiver since 2001? If you're claiming Roddy White, I'll laugh at you.

And what's Harrington's record this year? When you're down 34 midway through the 3rd quarter, you tend to throw a lot.

How did the Vicks do against WVU anyway? I can't remember.

If your contention is that Mike Vick is a good passer, I'll laugh at you. He's not.

The reason Atlanta doesnt have any good recievers while Vick was there is Mike Vick. Now that he's gone, their WR's are starting to put up numbers.

*crickets*

Dude, do you follow PB around waiting to snipe at him for what you perceive to be anti-VT comments?

Relax...his comment had nothing to do with VT, it had to do with Vick, who is NOT a pocket passer.

even if vick was there they would have sucked anyway

Vick probably would have had that team at or near .500. Not up to where they should have been, but its clear that team can't even be competitive without Vick

Almost like the Cleveland Cavs and Lebron James in basketball

Going back to Petrino though, the guy is a snake. Pat Forde put it best in his ESPN article, he is 5 for 5, meaning the last 5 years he has been flirting with or looking for another job

Almost like the Cleveland Cavs and Lebron James in basketball

Are you really comparing Michael Vick and Lebron James? Dude at least Lebron got to a NBA Final. Every year he makes the talent around him better and carries his team. Hes a top 5 player in the NBA, Michael Vick wasnt even top 15 at his position. I mean they beat the damn Celtics. I would of loved to seen the Falcons and Vick if he was still there play the Pats. Iknow they arent on there schedule but I would of loved to see Vick fall apart. Michael Vick was a great runner but he couldnt throw at all. When he comes back in 2009 or 2010 he will be a great punt returner. :laugh:

Are you really comparing Michael Vick and Lebron James? Dude at least Lebron got to a NBA Final. Every year he makes the talent around him better and carries his team. Hes a top 5 player in the NBA, Michael Vick wasnt even top 15 at his position. I mean they beat the damn Celtics. I would of loved to seen the Falcons and Vick if he was still there play the Pats. Iknow they arent on there schedule but I would of loved to see Vick fall apart. Michael Vick was a great runner but he couldnt throw at all. When he comes back in 2009 or 2010 he will be a great punt returner. :laugh:

MV1's career is over

But look at Atlanta's record with Vick in the lineup and without him in the lineup since 2002

It is not even close. Vick made that team better and made it more competitive

Just like James does to the Cavs

Am I comparing their overall play? No not at all. Lebron is a top 5 player in the NBA, Vick was not

However, Vick, like Lebron, won games that the team otherwise would not win. Its painfully obvious with the record with Vick vs without Vick

The contracts these coaches get are ridiculous. One year and BOOM, you're done.

Petrino is even taking a million less per year for the Ark. job.

I say honor your commitment and do the job you were hired to do. Its bad enough with the Vick situation, now this? The Falcons could be screwed for years.

I totally agree. I dont care if he goes on to win 5 Champions, I will never respect that guy as a head coach. He couldve waited untill the season ended, its not like they were going to the playoffs, regular season is about to be over in a few more weeks. What a pathetic weakling.

*crickets*

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

No one hardly brings that up, I always said from day one Mike shouldve been surround by at least 1 MONSTER, Pro Bowl caliber WR. The Falcons shouldve went out of their way to provide that. Even going into this season, they brought in Joe Horn :doh: .

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

No one hardly brings that up, I always said from day one Mike shouldve been surround by at least 1 MONSTER, Pro Bowl caliber WR. The Falcons shouldve went out of their way to provide that. Even going into this season, they brought in Joe Horn :doh: .

I will never forget that Falcons Packer playoff game. Vick beat them by his self. The reason I said that was that how good he is. Without a monster WR he was still able to win games. Could you imagine what Vick would do if he was in Arizona, Cincinnati, or even Houston.

I hate Virginia Tech Vick Worshipers. Its really sad. The guy sucked bottom line people. Yes the Falcons won more games when he was there but does it really matter? He would of never lead the Falcons to a Title just like Allen Iverson in the NBA. I have watched Vick throw he isnt that good and you need a passing game to win a Super Bowl. You dont need a great one but you do need a solid one. Wow he ran around on the Packers in a playoff game big deal. Bottom line the guy is a overrated player and a guy with major character problems. Vicks best weapon was Crumpler because he couldnt throw and needed a check down in the field all the time. He couldnt throw on the money or even close. Yes sometimes hed make a great throw then followed by 10 straight terrible ones. Dont blame the WRs dropping some passes for Vick never being that good. Its a weak arguement by Virginia Tech fans who worship him because he won them some games. I dont care if he led UVA to 4 Striaght National Titles he killed dogs in sick and cruel ways. I dont see why fans continue to defend such a classless guy.

Roddy White is about to surpass 1,000 yards on a terrible team with another 'top' pick and a TE that was Vick's security blanket (read: He couldn't figure out how to get the ball to the wideouts.)

This same wideout (White) was another top pick and is actually producing good numbers and impressive catches with guys like Chris Redman and Joey Harrington throwing to him.

White isn't a scrub. Vick could have used a veteran wideout with superstar ability, of course. Or even a guy like a Santana Moss to throw deep too. But the idea that Vick's lack of success as a passer had to do with his wideouts only is silly.

Archived