Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big storm this weekend but alot of uncertainy with regards to DC/VA/MD

Ji

Lots of questions regarding the track for the storm

when does the phasing occur between the branches of the jet stream

Is there anything ot keep the High in Canada in place or will it move and allow warm to overtake the cold..

If this stays all snow..we could be talking feet but i cant see that happening. Maybe for the mountains.

But lots of time for this to play out.

The key is the track. We need low pressure to track S&E of us. If it heads to our west and redevlops...we probably change over.

Whatever happens, i expect someone to get destroyed(probably the mountains and the interior Northeast). We could get a substantial accumulation before a changeover.

This is pulling the trigger? Sounds like a bad case of premature ejaculation...

Ji..

Are we looking at more of a Miller A or a Miller B type storm?

It's a Miller A setup. Miller B systems have a low transfering its energy to a developing coastal low. Miller A systems have a low developing in the Gulf Coast/Mississippi Valley and moving up the coast from there. The DC area gets it's biggest snow storms from Miller A events.

GFS onboard with the EURO. Gives this a better chance of happening but still way out and too many things that need to pan out for this to be a sig winter storm for the DC area. I for one, don't like where the GFS develops the low (upper mississippi valley) and where it goes (jumps off the coast). If it develops where it suggests then it's going to be an Apps runner and I-95 coridor gets rain. Let's see if the models trend the developing low further south. That is what you want to see.

I've never seen so much hate for someone doing something so harmless.

I was actually thinking the same thing. He catches flak for being wrong a lot but I can't name a single weatherman or meteorologist that has an amazing track record. So he takes a few risks and claims a huge storm is coming. What's the big deal?

Besides, if people are really investing their hopes on someone predicting the weather on a football message board then they really need to step away from the computer and maybe go watch the news.

GFS onboard with the EURO. Gives this a better chance of happening but still way out and too many things that need to pan out for this to be a sig winter storm for the DC area. I for one, don't like where the GFS develops the low (upper mississippi valley) and where it goes (jumps off the coast). If it develops where it suggests then it's going to be an Apps runner and I-95 coridor gets rain. Let's see if the models trend the developing low further south. That is what you want to see.

If the cold high pressure stays put and sets up some CAD we may have to worry about ice if it runs up the spine of the Appalachain mountains.

It's too far out to know for sure though.

If the cold high pressure stays put and sets up some CAD we may have to worry about ice if it runs up the spine of the Appalachain mountains.

It's too far out to know for sure though.

That's one of many things that have to be watched over the next couple of days. If the system is as strong as prog'ed and the high is not in the right position and/or blocked then it will be a quick change over to rain. Add to that track and possible phase between the STJ and PJ...

That's one of many things that have to be watched over the next couple of days. If the system is as strong as prog'ed and the high is not in the right position and/or blocked then it will be a quick change over to rain. Add to that track and possible phase between the STJ and PJ...

weenie....i know you are excited. But because your a pro, you have too hold back

weenie....i know you are excited. But because your a pro, you have too hold back

You can be excited about possible winter events Ji but you shouldn't jump the gun this early. Like I said before, waaaay too much stuff needs to be worked out before this can happen. If it does, it's going to be a monster of a storm.

guys...the 00z gfs shows an amazing storm. Heavy Snow to Rain back to Heavy snow for DC with 40-50 mph wind gusts. Its like the blizzard of 93 lite

You know that will flip back and forth on every run between now and Friday.

Ten bucks says the GFS drops it completely tomorrow while the NAM blows up a megastorm.

It's just too early to tell man.

You know that will flip back and forth on every run between now and Friday.

Ten bucks says the GFS drops it completely tomorrow while the NAM blows up a megastorm.

It's just too early to tell man.

Yeah, that will prob happen. The GFS will drop the storm for a run or two and then pick it back up. We always have the Japanese, Canadian, etc models to look at! :)

Because he isn't the "weather guy". That title belongs to Johnny Punani and nobody else.

It's WEATHER. Nothing is for sure so stop badgering Ji and stop acting like JP (no offense to you) is the weather god sent down from the heavens.

NWS STATEMENT -

"A MORE SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM COULD IMPACT THE REGION SATURDAY

AND SATURDAY NIGHT."

Capitalweather has the following:

Next Chance of Accumulating Snow: Saturday, December 15th - Monday, December 17th.

Probability: 20%

Commentary: As cooler high pressure settles over the area at the start of the weekend, a potent storm system will approach from the southwest. It is still much too early to parse through the details, but it does look probable that a storm system will affect our area late Saturday into Sunday/Monday. While the current guidance is fairly consistent that a strong storm with lots of Gulf moisture will affect the area, the track of the storm is still in doubt. A stronger, more inland track will likely bring snow at the beginning followed by a changeover to sleet/rain and then possibly back to snow as the coastal storm takes over. A weaker, slower, more coastal solution would bring greater amounts of snow with less likelihood of mixing or rain.. There is the potential for a big event, but the percentage of snow versus mix/rain is still very much up in the air. This is a storm potential worth following, and we will certainly keep you updated with the latest.

It's a Miller A setup. Miller B systems have a low transfering its energy to a developing coastal low. Miller A systems have a low developing in the Gulf Coast/Mississippi Valley and moving up the coast from there. The DC area gets it's biggest snow storms from Miller A events.

I thought the original question was about determining how big this storm was going to be, so I could determine how much beer to buy beforehand. :laugh:

Archived