Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We should go for Asante Samuel (cb from NE) in the Offseason

footballhenry

It may not be a career-ending one, but one has to wonder if he'll ever been the same after it.

So that means he'll no longer be giving up big 3rd down plays and allowing huge cushions to opposing WR's? ;)

I know he won't be 100% less than a year later, but I don't think his dropoff will be huge, either. Then again, I don't have the highest expectations for him.

I think you can do both.

The Skins' problems have not been with either(Lloyd and a few others excepted) - their problems have been with BAD TRADES.

Keep signing a few gems. Keep ALL our picks. Trade our older guys for picks and continue to build around Campbell - he needs another reliable receiving threat besides Cooley.

I'd love to have Asante - he's got at least 5 prime years left ahead of him.

Make it happen Dan! :2cents:

Yes. There is so much media-driven nonsense about "The Redskins lose because they sign too many FAs" that it's become a silly bit of "conventional wisdom" at this point.

The number of FAs we sign has never been the problem (though signing the WRONG ones hasn't helped- ie Archuleta). Our problem has been too many trades of draft picks, and too many bad ones at that, and not getting enough out of the draft picks we do keep. Not to mention we have never gotten consistent QB play in the Snyder era (which I think will change with Campbell).

Number 1-type CBs are are hard to get and very valuable. Springs isn't even close to one any more, Smoot is just OK, Rogers is solid if he's healthy. Samuel is one of the best. I'd love to sign him, turn our attention to lower-tier FAs and then have a good draft, starting with a DE.

We can't afford him. Asante will get at LEAST what Nate Clements got from San Fran last year. We simply can't afford that. We would have to blow up our team just to fit him under the cap and thus create more holes. I have no problems with free agency and being aggressive but this move wouldn't make sense. Use our picks to build around our young guys. We aren't one piece away from a Super Bowl. Even if we were I don't want to sacrifice our future for a one season run. Rome wasn't built in a day guys.

Bring you check book and a cross. Because we would be in Cap Purgetory for the next 10 years. After Nate Clement signed that massive deal (and he is a marginal Corner) the market is skewed. The best course of action is picking up solid sleepers and draft corners.

I wouldn't say Nate Clements is a marginal corner. He could very well be the best in the league right now. He is definitely is an elite group with Champ and Asante. He put up great numbers in a city with very little publicity to get him the kind of fame Champ and Asante have had on successful teams. He is also one of the most complete corners that can play the run as well as the pass.

*NFL Network said hes going to be the most coveted free agent on the market.

:point2sky

Redskins need to stay away from these kind of people. Our pocketbook can'ttake it anymore, plus we are going to be hit with the remainder of ST's signing bonus which just makes our cap situation more bleak

I agree with the O-Line crazies. We have got to get that unit solidified. Jansen will have a tough road to recovery and might not have much left. Thomas and Samuels are still in their primes, but Kendall, while he as been solid, is getting up there. We desperately need depth, but need to figure out what we have in Jansen.

We should try to go for Faneca. I hate to go FA again, but this line and Jason Campbell need a top-tier guard to be successful.

I think everything else we do should be via the draft.

The problem with FA for us is that several of our players are approaching the back end of their bloated contracts. Some will restructure, but after Springs' stand, I think most will follow suit and say "f*ck you pay me."

Doesn't look good in that respect.

For all you "draft, don't sign" guys, does this mean you want us to draft a CB over DL this year? We're going to be absolutely depleted at CB, and would likely have to use our #1 to get a decent one, so no whining then about picking another DB over D-line. Rogers' won't be effective at all the first year coming off his injury and Springs has a salary of around $9m, which means he's gone. That leaves us with Smoot and a bunch of scrubs.

It may take more than one draft to fix this team. But there is nothing wrong with that. Over the long haul you end up spending less on guys who might not make the team, and you increase the competition in training camp.

Especially if the Redskins start respecting draft picks more. We haven't had a full draft in years, which is why some people are scared of it. If we had three full drafts in a row, this team would be in a good spot so long as the choices were decent.

Why can't the team create a plan?

Mine would look something like this:

1st: DE or pass rushing LB

2nd: WR or CB (bpa)

3rd: Oline depth

4th: Project CB/Special teamer

5th: Project Dline

6th: project safety

7th: project LB or DE

You can interchange rounds 4-7 depending on BPA.

:)

Then in 2009 it would be similar, but the point would be to protect draft picks and again try to have a full draft.

The team could target a safety (Taylor Mays) in the first and then go for another CB or Dline in the 2nd, etc.

The point is, the Skins might be a year or two away, but not if they keep taking the plunge on these high priced guys who produce for a year or two and then decrease significantly.

I don't care HOW good Asante Samuels is, the guy was originally a 4th round draft pick. It's high time the Skins started drafting talent like this so we don't have to worry as much about free agency.

Sure, once the team has a core of players they can rely on, then use FA to supplement the draft, but STOP USING FA TO BUILD A TEAM. Build through the draft, THEN use FA.

I don't think we go after Samuel, he is gonna bring HUGE money. Other than QB's, CB's are the most coveted position on the field these days in the NFL. We need a corner, no doubt about it, especially with Carlos being injured. He will be 75% at best all season next year. Smoot has been on the decline for years, and Springs will likely not be here. We have to have a starting quality guy, and I think GW knows it. However, it seems more likely that we will pick up someone else that will not want the cash Samuel will want. The guy has a tattoo on his arm that includes a fist full of cash, and the words "get paid". I think that says everything.

It may take more than one draft to fix this team. But there is nothing wrong with that. Over the long haul you end up spending less on guys who might not make the team, and you increase the competition in training camp.

Especially if the Redskins start respecting draft picks more. We haven't had a full draft in years, which is why some people are scared of it. If we had three full drafts in a row, this team would be in a good spot so long as the choices were decent.

Why can't the team create a plan?

Mine would look something like this:

1st: DE or pass rushing LB

2nd: WR or CB (bpa)

3rd: Oline depth

4th: Project CB/Special teamer

5th: Project Dline

6th: project safety

7th: project LB or DE

You can interchange rounds 4-7 depending on BPA.

:)

Then in 2009 it would be similar, but the point would be to protect draft picks and again try to have a full draft.

The team could target a safety (Taylor Mays) in the first and then go for another CB or Dline in the 2nd, etc.

The point is, the Skins might be a year or two away, but not if they keep taking the plunge on these high priced guys who produce for a year or two and then decrease significantly.

I don't care HOW good Asante Samuels is, the guy was originally a 4th round draft pick. It's high time the Skins started drafting talent like this so we don't have to worry as much about free agency.

Sure, once the team has a core of players they can rely on, then use FA to supplement the draft, but STOP USING FA TO BUILD A TEAM. Build through the draft, THEN use FA.

Hmmm...definately like that draft board, but I think we got a pass rushing LB in MW right now. DE is a higher concern. BTW, we dont have a fourth round pick.

Jared Allen would be a huge improvement for the defense. He is the only guy the Skins should think about signing to a major deal. If you plug Allen in with Carter, the Skins will have 25-30 sacks between them potentially every year.

Archived