Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Around the Horn (Joe Gibbs)

dcoles11

There is plenty of blame to go around, 6 turnovers in Tampa, no one covering T.O. in Dallas, giving up 21 points to the Giants in the 2nd half, two long touchdowns scored by Philly in the second half, fumbles in Green Bay, - look at the blitz that sacked Campbell for a safety vs Buffalo, that was a blitz a 10 year old team should have picked up, and the 30 yard pass completion right into quintuplet coverage, one of those guys should be able to knock that ball down.

Something is wrong for sure, but players on both sides of the ball, Gibbs and Williams are at fault at various times.

Gibbs and Saunders need to get the play calling right, sometimes its too conservative, sometimes too cute. Williams needs to quit out-coaching himself and be more basic. The players and coaches need to concentrate more on football and spend less time in front of the camera or the microphone, the talent show should be on the field, not in the studio.

They have lost 6 games they easily could have and should have won if not for all of the bone-headed mistakes.

Cut them a break, for Buffalo, because of Sean, but its time to get it right and start being a football team.

I think it would be best if JG took on a Bobby Beatherd (SP) role and allowed others more in sinc with the new game to take over, the skins do need that role as an assurance on good players coming into the organisation is important, too many duds have been put on the pay role over the last couple of years

Obviously this team lacks discipline and that comes from the coaching staff. Well, how do you say this team lack discipline and the lack of discipline come from the coaching staff, for one Greg Williams respect Sean by only playing 10 players and Taylor position is open. How is it, Joe Gibbs does not know of this situation? Is Joe not the head coach? Two, from an unidentified player, there is always chaos in the last two minutes of our usually close ball games. No one seems to know what to do and it becomes a reflection on the players on the field. I think all Skins fans heard of the defense not meeting as a defense last year but as individual units and not having a unit meeting. Gregg Williams being the most arrogant and pompous coach there is? Joe Gibbs taking over the play calling responsibilities within the red zone. Come on people, this is almost as worst as Steve Spurrier but the only reason Joe is giving a pass is because Joe was a former Hall of Famer but lets look at his overall body of work since Joe's return. Joe's body of work since his four year stint has produced in his first year a 6 and 10, second year 10 and 6, third year 5 and 11, and fourth year to be determined and it is not looking good. Brian Billick has won a Super Bowl within the last 6 years and have had numerous winning seasons and Brian is on the hot seat? Please tell me why in this current NFL era that Gibbs should not be on the hot seat? Lets stop living in the past people. I understand stability but where is it people? The poor draft picks or lack there of and the bone headed trades for players that do not play or even fit your scheme for draft picks is absurd. It is time for Snyder to realize a gm with credentials might be the way that is if anybody is willing to work for him.

For all of you calling for gibbs head. Putting this team down for lossing on sunday. I would like to see you loss a close friend then go to work the next day and be productive.

Ok, although I dont agree with it, lets say he gets a pass for yesterday. How 'bout last year? Or this one? We are seeing the same things over and over again.

People need to wake up. This isn't the 80's/early 90's. Gibbs isn't young, hungry and healthy.

Ok why is it people will always point out the injuries of other teams when thy play us yet never take into account the effect of injuries on our team . We have had crazy bad luck with injuries in the last 2 years from PP going down in the opening kick off in 2006 ( he was slated to be the starter over AA), to loosing so many offensive linesmen we have an UDFA defensive lineman taking to the field on offense (Alexander) (lost RT, JJ and missed Wade, Rahach, Kendell for at least 1 game) , missing two impact starters in the secondary missing Thrash, ARE, Lloyd and Espy from the WR group not including the walking wounded ... People seem to think you can just plug anyone into the line up and there is no drop off in play and they also don't realise if you loose a starter it stops you being able to do different things .

Heyer is a great surprise could be a potential starter in years to come but he isn't ready yet and when he plays it takes away the TE for big stretches of the game. Take away Rogers and you cannot rotate your CBs to keep Springs fresh , take away the right side of your offensive line and it makes it harder to run as teams overload on the left, and harder to pass because teams do not have to commit as many guys to stop the run.

I don't know what people were expecting with Gibbs return ? 3 Superbowls in 12 years? Who knows where we would be if Shottenhiemer hadn't gutted the team depth and Spurrier had not traded away all of our draft picks .

You're assuming Snyder is as petty as you.

Joe will be back, and Snyder will be just fine with it.

Off topic, pgitta, I LOVE your sig. As an editor, I cringe every time I see the misuse of that word on this board, and it happens quite a bit.

I think Gibbs is going to hang it up all on his own and prevent Snyder from having to be the bad guy.

I am not sure what Gibbs will do after this season. Gibbs will want to fulfill contract and coach for the full 5 seasons. However, I am not sure what the Redskins will be able to accomplish in 2008 under Joe Gibbs. After 4 seasons of Gibbs 2.0 and this team is no better that they were with Turner or Spurrier. They have accomplished nothing. They have the worst O and D Line in the NFL. Snyder hired Gibbs as the President and Head Coach. Gibbs is not capable of building a team. He did not build the team in the 80's. Beathard and Cooke did. The National press feels very sorry for Gibbs and does not want anything to tarnish his past accomplishments. Gibbs is completely clueless and has lost control of everything. Having Gibbs come back in 2008 is just another waste of a season. Snyder needs to hire a GM and start re-building the team. This quick-fix crap is not working.

I just don't think there is any way Snyder can fire Gibbs. If anything, Gibbs will retire on his own. He does seem to have lost the ability to win the games, in particular the ones where he has built us up a nice solid lead. I have always been a Gibbs supported in the past, but Sunday's game got under my skin for how we handled the fourth quarter, and that thought finally crept into my mind...maybe it is time for Joe to call it quits.

A lot of times, the Around the Horn guys don't know what they are talking about. Sometimes, I don't like how Reali scores the points either.

With that being said, they aren't gonna fire Gibbs. Snyder seems really committed to him, plus I'm sure he'd get a lot of heat for firing a legendary coach. The only way he'll leave the team is if he decides to make that decision. I don't see him making that decision, because he said countless times that he is committed to this organization for as long as his contract says. And being the spiritual guy that Coach Gibbs is, I don't see him being a liar.

So, I see him coaching one more year. If they have a mediocre season again at best, I don't see him coming back. But, if he ends up doing really well and gets well over 10 wins next year, they'll probably offer him an extension (though he might not take it).

Riggins had a great take on Snyder and Gibbs.

Basically, the money coming in just from having Joe Gibbs still with the team right now probably outweighs anything that would make him get rid of the guy. Joe's cult status, while dampened a bit with all this the past two seasons, is still neigh untouchable up here. Sponsers, long time ticket holders, etc probably are buying in because Joe Gibbs, hall of fame coach, is still there. You can easily sell Joe Gibbs, because even when he has bad years Snydder can still point to three rings for those sponsors.

I don't think Snydder pulls the trigger. If Joe doesn't step down, he'll have one more year and then a mutural split

Archived