Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Around the Horn (Joe Gibbs)

dcoles11

I think the Sean Taylor tragedy has cast a pall over the 2007 season and it is conceivable that Snyder and Gibbs get together and decide it was just a season where nothing was meant to go right for the Washington Redskins.

It is also possible the stress from the loss of Taylor combined with the poor record will be enough for Gibbs to go to Snyder and tell him he has had enough.

But in EITHER case, it won't be Dan Snyder firing Joe Gibbs.

Problem is they decided 2006 was meant to go right for the Redskins and made few changes going into 2007. I don't think they can do it again after another 10-11 loss season, which is what they're headed for.

I think Joe should step down at the end of the year but didn't he already say he will be back for the final year of his contract? I don't think DS will fire him or ask him to step down as we have lived with this for 4 years so what is one more year. I remember watching a game on t.v. and George Allen was the commentator. At the end of the game the loosing team was moving the ball through the air going for the win and GA kept repeating over and over again, "you have to rush the passer, you can't let him stand in the pocket and complete passes." He then said "if you have to you must rush more people as rushing just 3 or 4 will not be enough as the most important thing is to rush the qb's throws." The point I am trying to make is that yesterday we let the Bills complete a 30 yard pass, at the end of the game, to put themselves in field goal range and it seemed to me that we still cannot affectivly RUSH THE PASSER. How long are we going to watch the same players make the same mistakes and then blame the coach? I have been a Gibbs fan for ever and even I think he should pack it in but do you guys really think someone can come in here and win a championship with this front 4 on defence and our weak, always injuried, O-line and a inexperienced QB and weak, always hurt receivers?

I don't really want Joe back. Clearly this team needs to take a step in a new direction. And I think Al Saunders and Joe Gibbs are clearly not in this picture. Let's face it Saunders has quite frankly not done anything to this offense like he said he would and has not opened up the playbook. All these short screens and other safe plays are not what this team needs.

I would like to see a guy like Jason Garrett possibly come in and be the coach here. He turned Tony Romo sits to pee into a star, why not do the same with Campbell?

We already tried doing something like that, remember?

I don't think he will be fired. I also don't think he should be. Joe Gibbs was not really hired for his x's and os otherwise why hire saunders and williams? He is a leader of men. He made a mistake yesterday. He's made a few mistakes. But he is a fantastic leader. If he wants one more year, I have absolutely no problem with that. Are you seeing these men not playing for him? I don't see that. I see that we just flat out aren't good enough yet. This horrible tragedy and losing 1/2 of the best safety tandem in the league (maybe eventually would have been in history) certainly isn't going to help at all. But we have some really good pieces. We need some more (and now we need too replace one that is almost irreplaceable) but thiis team has lost 6 of its 7 losses on the last drive of the game. Now on one hand that is most definately a problem to be rectified. On the other, in the NFC, you don't make a drastic coaching change. You ride out the season which is over now without question. You get healthy and you come back for one more year. Cambell showed improvement in one off-season, no reason to think he won't make more with another. Portis is still portis. Hopefully we have our line back and its Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, THomas and Jansen (I mean really, wouldn't you have liked to see that?) We'll get carlos back, smoot played well yesterday, we have to deal with Sean's spot, get another reciever and add a defensive end. Cmon, we do that and you think we CANT make the playoffs? This was a horrible season. But I see definate improvement from last year. I wouldn't change if Gibbs wants one more year to finish out his contract.

You're assuming Snyder is as petty as you.

Joe will be back, and Snyder will be just fine with it.

You've got to be kidding.

Look, I grew up watching the skins and Gibbs dominate. When the news came about that he was coming back to coach this team, I was as happy as you were. But it is as plain as day that this man doesnt have what it takes. You can chose to ignore it, as many older fans of Gibbs are. I will not ignore it. I'll always love and respect Gibbs for what he did for this franchise 15-25 years ago, but he just does not have "it" anymore.

Its time to take off the blinders, pgitta.

Snyder won't fire Gibbs. It would be a PR nightmare for him to do so. If Gibbs is going to leave before his contract is up, it will be by resignation.

Which is actually what I think will happen. I think he'll site wanting to spend more time with his family as the reason, and rightfully so after what happened with Sean.

Guest Rafterman
I think Gibbs is going to hang it up all on his own and prevent Snyder from having to be the bad guy.

Gibbs needs to man up and call it a day.

You're assuming Snyder is as petty as you.

Joe will be back, and Snyder will be just fine with it.

I agree with you pgitta. If there's anyone who can lead the Skins through this time and this loss, it's a leader like Joe Gibbs. There's no way he'd leave after what has happened this season, and there's no way Snyder would let him leave. Snyder recognizes the leader that Gibbs is and knows how valuable he is. This offseason is going to be just as rough one the players as the season was, and Gibbs is going to be there for the players. Gibbs knows this, the players know this, and so does Dan Snyder.

1. Of small importance; trivial: a petty grievance.
  2. Marked by narrowness of mind, ideas, or views.
  3. Marked by meanness or lack of generosity, especially in trifling matters.

petty because you blame Gibbs for some blown leads because the players couldn't score enough points.

petty because you blame Gibbs for a timeout mistake when he should have never been put in the position to have to make it if the team would have scored more points.

petty because you blame Gibbs last year because Brunell sucked

petty because you blame Gibbs for JC's fumbles, or CR's dropped ITs, or Santana's fumble, or Wade's missed block, Randel El's drop, or...

you're blind if you think joe gibbs isnt one of the main problems with this team, yeah theres games where catches didnt go our way, the football didnt bounce our way, but great teams overcome that

and a great team is led by a great coach, i mean seriously do you not see the failure to gameplan accordingly? Do you see our inability to exploit mismatches when we are on the field, do you see our failure to correct mistakes during the game, what makes you think they are able to correct mistakes on a game to game basis if we cant do it on a quarter to quarter basis.

This team needs a new coach, we have explosive players in a conservative system, joe gibbs' philosophy does not match the personell that we have thats what it comes down to, the personell we have has the capability to win in the nfl, you do the math and tell me who has to go

You've got to be kidding.

Look, I grew up watching the skins and Gibbs dominate. When the news came about that he was coming back to coach this team, I was as happy as you were. But it is as plain as day that this man doesnt have what it takes. You can chose to ignore it, as many older fans of Gibbs are. I will not ignore it. I'll always love and respect Gibbs for what he did for this franchise 15-25 years ago, but he just does not have "it" anymore.

Its time to take off the blinders, pgitta.

Can you define "it" please? I mean I really think if you want to fire a hall of fame coach who has won three superbowls and brought us to four in his career, you need to come with a little bit more than he doesn't have "it". He makes mistakes. Yesterday he made a big one and I just gotta say, he had a lot on his plate this week, they all did. I just don't see how you don't let him finish his contract for one more year. I think your all gonna miss him when he's gone. He got us into the playoffs in 3 years after we had one appearance in over a decade. You clearly have forgotten what Gibbs has done for this organization but I am wondering if you also don't recall spurrier? Robiskie? Turner? Do you remember Danny Wuerfel? Heath Shuler? Rod Garnder, Michael Westbrook? For all his mistakes he also brought us Sean Taylor, Laron Landry, Carlos Rogers, London Fletcher, Rocky Mcintosh, Andre Carter, Shawn Springs and Jason Cambell. Im sorry, its just not as awful as many of you are saying.

gibbs will be gone. you can quote me on that. my family has been traditionally redskins fans with my mother praising gibbs more than anyone i have ever seen. when the average redskins fan (by this i mean not much knowledge of football but watches every game) who was around during gibbs I calls for a new coach you know its time to go.

Oh I must have missed what your front office position is with the team, or maybe you own an interest in the team.

Gibbs will finish out his contract and maybe even an extention. The only way he leaves is when he wants to leave. All of you Gibbs haters can go on talking and wishing but Gibbs does not block, throw, kick or catch. It is not the coaching it is the lack of focus that the players have mixed with the large numbers of injuries to starting players the Redskins have had this season.

Oh, I know "don't use the injuries as an excuse", ever notice how it's the fans of teams with little on no injuries that say that? I laugh at all the posters on this board that really think bashing your coach or team is going to change anything!

Unless you are on the Redskins payroll or own an intrest in the team your opion and thoughts on who should leave, be fired or move on does not amount to Shirt!!!!

Grinn and support this team or move on with you life!!

Hail to the Redskins, Hail to Sean Taylor (R.I.P.)

if you want to blame gibbs for this loss, then blame him for only running the ball in jumbo sets when the defense was dropping 9 into the box and refusing to run out of a 4 receiver set. this whole time out kick issue is such a waste. guess what guys, the kick lindel made from 36 yards, would have been good from 56. we never should have been in that situation to start with.

the only thing gibbs did wrong with that time out was losing his focus, and you know what, i'm willing to give him a pass for a momentary lapse in focus during yesterday's game just like i've given several of the players a pass for the same reason.

time to stop arguing and crying about the wrong issues on this team and start looking at the right issues.

Excellent response.....and I couldn't agree more!

Yesterday the Redskins had to settle for field goals after they drove to the Bills' 5 yard line on their first two drives of the game and Campbell was under pressure all day long, including a sack in the end zone for a safety and two turnovers -a fumble and an INT -that set up Buffalo field goals. If that doesn't tell you something about our Offensive Line then you should just as well be watching Hannah Montana. The Offensive Line needs to be re-tooled before Campbell really takes off and forget about Jon Jansen, he's too injury prone! Samuels is the most penalized Offensive Lineman and the rest of the line is too small to dominate the line of scrimmage.

Can you define "it" please? I mean I really think if you want to fire a hall of fame coach who has won three superbowls and brought us to four in his career, you need to come with a little bit more than he doesn't have "it". He makes mistakes. Yesterday he made a big one and I just gotta say, he had a lot on his plate this week, they all did. I just don't see how you don't let him finish his contract for one more year. I think your all gonna miss him when he's gone. He got us into the playoffs in 3 years after we had one appearance in over a decade. You clearly have forgotten what Gibbs has done for this organization but I am wondering if you also don't recall spurrier? Robiskie? Turner? Do you remember Danny Wuerfel? Heath Shuler? Rod Garnder, Michael Westbrook? For all his mistakes he also brought us Sean Taylor, Laron Landry, Carlos Rogers, London Fletcher, Rocky Mcintosh, Andre Carter, Shawn Springs and Jason Cambell. Im sorry, its just not as awful as many of you are saying.

Wow, I cant believe i have to do this, but here "It" goes:

It, the simple ability to manage the game clock.

It, the capability of knowing the rules of the game.

It, the ability to keep a second half lead.

It, the ability to trust your players to do their job.

It, the balls to run a formation other than 'Jumbo' in the redzone.

It, the ability to coach a winning team.

It, the ability to inspire your players.

Thats more than enough IMO. Im sure others could rattle off several more.

also while im here I would like to respond to the members who claim that because of our criticism of the coaching staff we assume that we can do a better job

That is far from the case, I by no means expect myself to do a better job, however, the best analogy I can make is that while I am not a classical music composer I can tell the difference between a Beethoven piece and something put together by an amateur pianist.

There is obviously a problem with our coaching I dont know why that is so hard to swallow

Wow, I cant believe i have to do this, but here "It" goes:

It, the simple ability to manage the game clock.

It, the capability of knowing the rules of the game.

It, the ability to keep a second half lead.

It, the ability to trust your players to do their job.

It, the balls to run a formation other than 'Jumbo' in the redzone.

It, the ability to coach a winning team.

It, the ability to inspire your players.

Thats more than enough IMO. Im sure others could rattle off several more.

Listen, I'm just as pissed about this season as you are, but I'm not quite sure Gibbs is the reason. It must be very tempting to point the finger at one man and think it will all be rectified if we fire him, and you make a compelling argument with some of the "It's" you've stated, but I can't help thinking it has to be something with the players.

Listen, I'm just as pissed about this season as you are, but I'm not quite sure Gibbs is the reason. It must be very tempting to point the finger at one man and think it will all be rectified if we fire him, and you make a compelling argument with some of the "It's" you've stated, but I can't help thinking it has to be something with the players.

But yet people never gave Norv Turner the same benefit here. Why wasn't it the players then?

Im not blaming it all on Gibbs, but he does have to take the bulk of the responsibility as the Head Coach and President.

He's close to the end of his fourth year. He's scheduled to coach one more after this season. He hasnt improved this team in four years. Why give him another year if he's not improved the team and he's going to be gone the following year anyway? It doesnt make sense, we'd just be prolonging the inevitable.

That said, I do believe we have some very good players. I would have no problem Gibbs taking over for Cerrato, as long as he has learned his lesson with draft picks/FA. But strictly from a coaching standpoint, I dont see the point in wasting another year with Gibbs.

if you want to blame gibbs for this loss, then blame him for only running the ball in jumbo sets when the defense was dropping 9 into the box and refusing to run out of a 4 receiver set. this whole time out kick issue is such a waste. guess what guys, the kick lindel made from 36 yards, would have been good from 56. we never should have been in that situation to start with.

the only thing gibbs did wrong with that time out was losing his focus, and you know what, i'm willing to give him a pass for a momentary lapse in focus during yesterday's game just like i've given several of the players a pass for the same reason.

time to stop arguing and crying about the wrong issues on this team and start looking at the right issues.

Bingo. - Giving up a 30 yard pass is exactly what we knew they needed, yet the defense gave it up to them anyway. The 12 yard cushions, the lack of creativity we saw in Williams first two years. Those are the things that have been blowing leads. I realize we have injuries, but just sitting back and letting teams have room is not the way to play every down.

Archived