Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Around the Horn (Joe Gibbs)

dcoles11

They discussed his calling of 2 timeouts at the end of game. Bob Ryan didn't blame Gibbs because he said he had no reason to know the rule, he essentially blamed Mike Shanahan for starting this whole timeout before the kicker kicks thing.

J.A didn't blame Gibbs for the loss because he said Lindel would have made it again anway since he hit it the first time, I personally hate this argument because making it once doesn't mean you can't miss it the next time. There could be a bad snap, it could be blocked, there could be a penalty, ect.

They failed to mention that he called the 2nd timeout because of the weather, they seemed to think he only did it to freeze the kicker, but those of us there know that it was starting to rain and Gibbs was trying to give the weather more time to worsen.

At the end Woody said this will cost Gibbs his job at the end of the season, Mariotti laughed at that and Bob Ryan said, "they are going no where with him."

Do you guys think Gibbs will be fired at the end of the season? Especially if they go 1-3 or 0-4 down the stretch?

I'm going to defend Dan Snyder and say that I hope Gibbs doesn't make him have to fire him.

I personally think its time for the Gibbs era to end. For 3 years now (I won't count the first year) we have been losing late leads and games we shouldn't be losing. That has got to come down on the couch. What we saw yesterday we've seen before, its nothing new, I told my brother, "you know what sucks, we almost expect to lose now when its late in the game and close."

Gibbs is a competitive stubborn man, its what made him successful, so I don't see him resigning after the season, he'll want to come back for the 5th and final season of his contract.

So if Snyder wants him gone he'll have to fire him, which as I said isn't fair to Snyder, he shouldn't have to be the guy that fired HOF coach Joe Gibbs. Gibbs should look in the mirror and realize its just not going to happen.

They discussed his calling of 2 timeouts at the end of game. Bob Ryan didn't blame Gibbs because he said he had no reason to know the rule, he essentially blamed Mike Shanahan for starting this whole timeout before the kicker kicks thing.

J.A didn't blame Gibbs for the loss because he said Lindel would have made it again anway since he hit it the first time, I personally hate this argument because making it once doesn't mean you can't miss it the next time. There could be a bad snap, it could be blocked, there could be a penalty, ect.

They failed to mention that he called the 2nd timeout because of the weather, they seemed to think he only did it to freeze the kicker, but those of us there know that it was starting to rain and Gibbs was trying to give the weather more time to worsen.

At the end Woody said this will cost Gibbs his job at the end of the season, Mariotti laughed at that and Bob Ryan said, "they are going no where with him."

Do you guys think Gibbs will be fired at the end of the season? Especially if they go 1-3 or 0-4 down the stretch?

I'm going to defend Dan Snyder and say that I hope Gibbs doesn't make him have to fire him.

I personally think its time for the Gibbs era to end. For 3 years now (I won't count the first year) we have been losing late leads and games we shouldn't be losing. That has got to come down on the couch. What we saw yesterday we've seen before, its nothing new, I told my brother, "you know what sucks, we almost expect to lose now when its late in the game and close."

Gibbs is a competitive stubborn man, its what made him successful, so I don't see him resigning after the season, he'll want to come back for the 5th and final season of his contract.

So if Snyder wants him gone he'll have to fire him, which as I said isn't fair to Snyder, he shouldn't have to be the guy that fired HOF coach Joe Gibbs. Gibbs should look in the mirror and realize its just not going to happen.

You're assuming Snyder is as petty as you.

Joe will be back, and Snyder will be just fine with it.

Quit worrying about it. Snyder isn't nearly as petty as you.

Joe will be back, and Snyder will be just fine with it.

petty? do you know what petty means? what exactly did I say that was petty?

You people really need to wake up, its not the 1980s anymore, what in the past 4 years makes you want Gibbs to coach anymore?

He's still around because of his name and his past and thats no way to win.

Players get old and are cut or retire, why are you so hell bent on sticking with Gibbs? What makes him different than an aging player that can't get it done anymore?

We have not gotten better in the 4 years he's been here. That playoff year means nothing. With the way the NFL is now, anyone can make the playoffs one year, the good teams consistantly make the playoffs and are a threat when they get in.

That playoff team also lost a lot of games they should have won as well.

we have been losing late leads and games we shouldn't be losing. That has got to come down on the couch.

You're right about one thing, I do find myself anticipating a loss at the end of close games.

The problem is, I am usually off the couch at this point, pacing back and forth with my head in my hands..

I don't really want Joe back. Clearly this team needs to take a step in a new direction. And I think Al Saunders and Joe Gibbs are clearly not in this picture. Let's face it Saunders has quite frankly not done anything to this offense like he said he would and has not opened up the playbook. All these short screens and other safe plays are not what this team needs.

I would like to see a guy like Jason Garrett possibly come in and be the coach here. He turned Tony Romo sits to pee into a star, why not do the same with Campbell?

gibbs will be gone. you can quote me on that. my family has been traditionally redskins fans with my mother praising gibbs more than anyone i have ever seen. when the average redskins fan (by this i mean not much knowledge of football but watches every game) who was around during gibbs I calls for a new coach you know its time to go.

if you want to blame gibbs for this loss, then blame him for only running the ball in jumbo sets when the defense was dropping 9 into the box and refusing to run out of a 4 receiver set. this whole time out kick issue is such a waste. guess what guys, the kick lindel made from 36 yards, would have been good from 56. we never should have been in that situation to start with.

the only thing gibbs did wrong with that time out was losing his focus, and you know what, i'm willing to give him a pass for a momentary lapse in focus during yesterday's game just like i've given several of the players a pass for the same reason.

time to stop arguing and crying about the wrong issues on this team and start looking at the right issues.

if you want to blame gibbs for this loss, then blame him for only running the ball in jumbo sets when the defense was dropping 9 into the box and refusing to run out of a 4 receiver set. this whole time out kick issue is such a waste. guess what guys, the kick lindel made from 36 yards, would have been good from 56. we never should have been in that situation to start with.

the only thing gibbs did wrong with that time out was losing his focus, and you know what, i'm willing to give him a pass for a momentary lapse in focus during yesterday's game just like i've given several of the players a pass for the same reason.

time to stop arguing and crying about the wrong issues on this team and start looking at the right issues.

Very well said, sir. I have been saying these same things all day in my office.

Gibbs will be back next year and you are a fool to think snyder would have a problem with it. Gibbs is not going to walk out on something he has built and is on the verge of being a good thing.

For all of you calling for gibbs head. Putting this team down for lossing on sunday. I would like to see you loss a close friend then go to work the next day and be productive.

FOOLS on this site!

There is no way Snyder is gonna fire Gibbs. The only way Gibbs doesn't return is if he steps down himself. I do think that there is a pretty good chance that Joe steps down at the end of the year and is replaced by Gregg Williams.

I disagree. I think Gibbs will try to go out a winner and regroup for next season. Now I do agree he should retire because I think his health is in question. I was worried about his health ever since he fainted courting Mark Brunell 4 years ago.Unfournately, his old age and diabetes appears to be effecting his mind .

Gibbs will be back next year and you are a fool to think snyder would have a problem with it. Gibbs is not going to walk out on something he has built and is on the verge of being a good thing.

For all of you calling for gibbs head. Putting this team down for lossing on sunday. I would like to see you loss a close friend then go to work the next day and be productive.

FOOLS on this site!

dont even act like the field is the same as the workplace. if a coworker died at burger king there would be no obvious emotion in your burger crafting skills.

however, a teammate of theirs died, and the best way to honor him would have been to blow the snot out of the bills.

what scares me is in probably the game that had the most purpose any of these players had ever seen, we fell short. that doesnt sound like a team on the verge of greatness to me.

i think the best step towards victory is a step in a new direction. joe gibbs will not get a free pass for NOT KNOWING THE RULES OF A GAME HE GETS PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO COACH.

You people really need to wake up, its not the 1980s anymore, what in the past 4 years makes you want Gibbs to coach anymore?

Players get old and are cut or retire, why are you so hell bent on sticking with Gibbs? What makes him different than an aging player that can't get it done anymore?

We have not gotten better in the 4 years he's been here. That playoff year means nothing. With the way the NFL is now, anyone can make the playoffs one year, the good teams consistantly make the playoffs and are a threat when they get in.

Do you honestly think it's coaching? I mean some of it comes down to coaching but come on dude, the players have to shoulder a good deal of the responsibility. Gibbs didn't give up that huge pass over the middle with less than a minute left. Sean is gone, I don't think Springs was in there (correct me if I'm wrong) and there was several players in the area that should have mad the play. Is Gibbs rushing the passer? I'd put more blame on Williams than Gibbs to be honest with you. It's the defense thats been killing us in most the losses and I attribute that to lack of pass rush. We're giving the QB way too much time to pick us apart.

Our team loves Gibbs and he's the right man for the job especially with the pain and suffering they're going through right now. I was sickened by the loss Sunday but there's a part of me that could care less right now. Let the guys grieve the loss of their brother.

What this team needs is a GM. It's time for Danny and Vinny to divorce each other for once and for all. :2cents:

Redskins remaining games:

- Bears

- @Giants

- @Vikings

- Dallas

There is a very real possibility that we go 0-4 or 1-3 in that stretch. I can't see Gibbs coming back if he finishes 5-11 again or 6-10.

Oh and if you think it's petty to let go of a coach for failing to win then you don't know what petty means.

Do you honestly think it's coaching? I mean some of it comes down to coaching but come on dude, the players have to shoulder a good deal of the responsibility. Gibbs didn't give up that huge pass over the middle with less than a minute left. Sean is gone, I don't think Springs was in there (correct me if I'm wrong) and there was several players in the area that should have mad the play. Is Gibbs rushing the passer? I'd put more blame on Williams than Gibbs to be honest with you. It's the defense thats been killing us in most the losses and I attribute that to lack of pass rush. We're giving the QB way too much time to pick us apart.

Our team loves Gibbs and he's the right man for the job especially with the pain and suffering they're going through right now. I was sickened by the loss Sunday but there's a part of me that could care less right now. Let the guys grieve the loss of their brother.

What this team needs is a GM. It's time for Danny and Vinny to divorce each other for once and for all. :2cents:

Who picks the players?

I think the Sean Taylor tragedy has cast a pall over the 2007 season and it is conceivable that Snyder and Gibbs get together and decide it was just a season where nothing was meant to go right for the Washington Redskins.

It is also possible the stress from the loss of Taylor combined with the poor record will be enough for Gibbs to go to Snyder and tell him he has had enough.

But in EITHER case, it won't be Dan Snyder firing Joe Gibbs.

We are very close to being a very good team. We should have won every game we played this year except for NE. That has to count for something. If we were so awful, these games would not be close.

I say give Gibbs his 5th year. It's not like we were going to the playoffs with the three previous coaches we've had. It takes time to build a great team. Believe it or not we are better now than we were 6 years ago and I give Gibbs the credit for that.

Changing coaches every three or 4 years is a guaranteed way to suck for a long time.

1. Of small importance; trivial: a petty grievance.
  2. Marked by narrowness of mind, ideas, or views.
  3. Marked by meanness or lack of generosity, especially in trifling matters.

petty because you blame Gibbs for some blown leads because the players couldn't score enough points.

petty because you blame Gibbs for a timeout mistake when he should have never been put in the position to have to make it if the team would have scored more points.

petty because you blame Gibbs last year because Brunell sucked

petty because you blame Gibbs for JC's fumbles, or CR's dropped ITs, or Santana's fumble, or Wade's missed block, Randel El's drop, or...

petty because feel the need to *****, complain, and blame anyone for anything.

No one put a gun to anyone's head here and made them root for the Redskins

No one tapped into your bank account and made you buy a jersey.

You signed no contracts, made no agreements, and were promised NOTHING.

You don't deserve wins.

They don't owe you wins.

You're not entitled to anything.

Archived