Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CP To Wear #21 Sunday (merged)

DButz65

Guest ComebackKing

I was doubting this but if comcast reported it I believe there would be at least some truth to it. I hope it's true even though I've yet to see anything official. I don't think the NFL likes players to change numbers with such short notice.

How ironic this is. I was just cruising sean taylor's marketing website and found this picture of him at Miami.

ST15.jpg

I didn't remember him wearing #26 there, but found it strange to see him in Portis' number at the same time hearing CP will be donning the #21.

Yep, #26 is always passed on to the next defensive star at the U. As it's done for #6 on offense. CP wore #28 at the U, it wasn't until he got to DEN that he took #26.

Guest ComebackKing
Is this all just speculation, or has this been officially announced?
It's been reported by Comcast which is just a news souce not affiliated directly with Portis, the Redskins, or the NFL. Somebody credibile must have said something to them.

I dunno though I've yet to hear anything anywhere else about it but if this thread keeps growing it'll probably be brought up somewhere official shortly and we'll know for sure.

They were talking about this at the thing yesterday at Redskins Park. The way I heard it, Portis had made a request to the League to wear 21 Sunday. And the league denied the request - as they never grant such requests. And so the rumor was that CP is going to wear it anyway on Sunday and pay the fine. And that would be just like him. If you'll remember the several times he (and ST) wore funny socks and willingly paid the fines in '05.

I can understand the league denying Portis request, because they want to keep a tight leash on the players abilities to get away with uniform things such as this, but you can't help but respect and admire Portis for willing paying the fine just to honor his fallen friend.

They were talking about this at the thing yesterday at Redskins Park. The way I heard it, Portis had made a request to the League to wear 21 Sunday. And the league denied the request - as they never grant such requests. And so the rumor was that CP is going to wear it anyway on Sunday and pay the fine. And that would be just like him. If you'll remember the several times he (and ST) wore funny socks and willingly paid the fines in '05.

if the league wants to fine him, we should email the league and make it rain on them.

Maybe take up a collection to pay the fine to support CP in rememberence of ST

Sure would be nice if the NFL changed the Redskin game that week from Thursday to the weekend given the circumstances.

especially since they say they expect the funeral to be in the middle of next week. - It would be very hard on the players to have to attend a funeral in Florida then play a game the next day.

if the league wants to fine him, we should email the league and make it rain on them.

Maybe take up a collection to pay the fine to support CP in rememberence of ST

I'd be willing to bet Daniel Snyder pays the fine if CP wears the jersey and is fined.

I know I would if I was the owner.

I don't mean to be an ass, as I love Sean Taylor, but is he really worth retiring his jersey number? It would be different if the Redskins had a history of retiring jersey numbers of great players but..

Does Sean Taylor > Art Monk?

Does Sean Taylor > Sonny?

Does Sean Taylor > Darrell Green?

I think his number should be "unofficially" retired like those other great players.

Archived