Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CP To Wear #21 Sunday (merged)

DButz65

haha, yea if they fine him, we take up a collection and pay em in pennies. They'd be pissed but who cares, imagine the poor sap counting pennies.

Do you really think CP would care about a fine? He lost his brother...when you lose someone that close to you nothing matters. Especially not a fine he could pay with the money from his wallet...the respect he's paying to his brother means a lot more to him.

I didn't read EVERY reply on this post but I assume Portis may have already recieved approval to change his jsy number. I also agree with retiring Taylor's jsy number be it officially or unofficial but NOT until Portis has decided to go back to 26, retires or leaves the Skins. Portis should have the option to wear that jersey number as long as he pleases but no other Redskin should ever wear it again.

I also understand the Monk, Jurgensen and Green comparison but the difference is that those guys are still around. Taylor's jersey should be retired soley for the tragic nature of his death and his official leadership roles, not even taking into account his play on the field.

Portis #21 w/ Taylor as his guardian angel

The least Goodell could do is allow it for one game.
Under the circumstances, it would be a heck of a gesture of both CP's part and Goodell's.
If the league says no then it will not be about paying a fine. If they say no and he comes out with a 21 jersey on they will not allow him to play in the game. It is not a matter of money.
Where do you get this? Is this an assumption, or do you know this for a fact? A reference please.
I didn't read EVERY reply on this post but I assume Portis may have already recieved approval to change his jsy number. I also agree with retiring Taylor's jsy number be it officially or unofficial but NOT until Portis has decided to go back to 26, retires or leaves the Skins. Portis should have the option to wear that jersey number as long as he pleases but no other Redskin should ever wear it again.

I also understand the Monk, Jurgensen and Green comparison but the difference is that those guys are still around. Taylor's jersey should be retired soley for the tragic nature of his death and his official leadership roles, not even taking into account his play on the field.

Portis #21 w/ Taylor as his guardian angel

I like this post. I like the idea of CP wearing 21 as a gesture for some period of time, but then eventually changing back to 26 at some point, and then the Redskins retiring the 21 as ST's number.

EDIT: I also really like Rick's sig, and promptly stole it. Hope he doesn't mind. :-)

PER JLC's blog

The Redskins Back At Practice

Practice just concluded and it unfolded as normal during the portion we saw. Same drills as usual and no overt signs of the obvious pall that has been cast over the organization.

Tailback Clinton Portis was in sweat clothes and not practicing. Injured fullback Mike Sellers (back) and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin (ankle) also were not practicing.

Also, several people have asked me about Portis changing his number to 21, and I have heard rumblings about it as well. To this point the team has said nothing official about it and I contacted the NFL as well and was told they have received nothing formal on this prospect. I asked them to check again if possible and make certain there is not a possibility that Clinton will wear Sean's number, and I await their response.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/11/the_redskins_back_at_practice.html#comments

Guest ComebackKing

Portis shouldn't ask. He should just do it and pay the fine later. If they tell him "no" and he does it he would get in serious trouble. Just do it and pay later.

I agree...It should be CP...they both had the same level of illiteracy. Just kidding.. Sorry to hear about Sean.

If anyone was going to wear number 21 I would want it to be CP, going to be hard seeing CP wear that number but I would only allow him to wear it....

Maybe its just me and not being a part of the Redskin family, but I personally wouldn't want anyone to wear his number, even as a tribute. Just leave it vacant to be retired or symbolically vacated.

But I'm okay with Portis doing this. Whatever he feels he has to do to grieve is okay by me. I just think it's more respectful to keep his number vacant. Forever.

Maybe its just me and not being a part of the Redskin family, but I personally wouldn't want anyone to wear his number, even as a tribute. Just leave it vacant to be retired or symbolically vacated.

But I'm okay with Portis doing this. Whatever he feels he has to do to grieve is okay by me. I just think it's more respectful to keep his number vacant. Forever.

There are posts earlier in this thread provide insight into the symbolism behind this though. At the U they do not retire Jersey's instead they award it to future players who earn the right to wear it. It makes their number live on through others instead of being put out to pasture so to say. Personally I feel it would be the greatest tribute to Sean considering his strong passion for football and his commitment to the game. Let 21 live on forever, and become a new part of redskins tradition

Archived