Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I like this team (positive thread. Merged)

allwet

With all of the negative/frustrated threads out there, I just felt a need to state that I really like this team. I don't like the record of 5-6, but I like the way they are playing for the most part. Of course being 5-6, there are a number of plays that I would like to have back, but overall I really the players, philosophy, and team chemistry.

There are five games left in the regular season and I feel that the team will make the playoffs--and when they do they will be the team that no one wants to play. This will especially be true if the team gets healthy (Thrash, Taylor, Thomas, Wade, Sellers, and Randle El).

Note on #2 and #3 receivers that I think has been lost in all of the other news: For the last three years, the Redskins have struggled to find a second wide receiver and now we have a different #2 step up each week and we have actually had good performances by #3 wide receivers. Randle El has played very well and now Thrash, McCardell, and today Cardwell had a good game at the #3 receiver.

TEAM CHEMISTRY?!?!? Are you people serious? Unbelievable how many excuses some of you guys can make for this team.

You guys want to watch a team with some chemistry/heart/passion to win why don't to click your tubes over to NBC where the Eagles are fighting their butts off without McNabb against the best team in the league. Even if they lose I've been impressed with their attitude.

Do you think we could this? HECK NO we couldn't!

Im sorry for the frustration but I really don't see how you guys see much of anything good out of this season.

The most important positive I see on this team, is we have a developing star at the QB position. It frustrates me to no end when I hear people over criticizing Campbell. Yes, of course, you as fans have the right to be upset at your QB for making bad decisions late in the game. But, to totally ignore the maturation process a young QB must in endore to achieve greatness is just pain stupid. Campbell has improved so much over the course of last season and this season. Open your eyes and realize the Skins potentially have a franchise QB. Maybe Skin fan's have no clue what it takes for a QB to develop into a franchise QB.

The most important positive I see on this team, is we have a developing star at the QB position. It frustrates me to no end when I hear people over criticizing Campbell. Yes, of course, you as fans have the right to be upset at your QB for making bad decisions late in the game. But, to totally ignore the maturation process a young QB must in endore to achieve greatness is just pain stupid. Campbell has improved so much over the course of last season and this season. Open your eyes and realize the Skins potentially have a franchise QB. Maybe Skin fan's have no clue what it takes for a QB to develop into a franchise QB.

Oh and I suppose you do. Tell me how many "franchise QB's" have you seen in Washington lately. Hmmm seems like Tony Romo sits to pee really didn't need a lot of time to become a "franchise QB in Dallas.

I think Campbell has all the potential the world, but until he can close out a game like today I'm still very worried about it. AND to be quiet honest I have so many doubts about how this coaching staff runs this team week to week I worry he's not getting the type of teaching he deserves.

You people need an intervention.

What happened in 2005 is a very rare occurrence in the NFL. 5-6 rarely becomes 10-6. We are injured, have a young QB, and our best players give the ball away not infrequently. I don't see much fire or pride in this group. We'll win a few close games and we'll give a few away to go 8-8 or 7-9. Our players will be playing golf in Florida and Arizona come January while you guys shiver in the cold of the nation's capital. But you'll still like this team...

The only thing we are close to is a losing record. I cant help but laugh when i see posts like, we can build on this loss cause we had 6 turnovers and only gave up 19.

In a must win game , the skins came out and completely HANDED t.b. the game. I think everyone needs to stop saying we are this close. If we score 23 we allow 28, if we allow 19 we can only score 13. Anyone gettin the picture here? We cant win. Even our wins feel like losses. We put up 400 yds a game and cant score for shat.

How many 4th and 1's cant we convert to win a damn game? We dont have CONFIDENCE. WHY? I cant figure it out.

I'd have to agree with this entire post. Sadly. Its 100% truth. The Redskins aren't playing well at all. The offense shows promise and I like what I see in JC. He's young so I'll give him as many losses as we've had because he's still learning. I'm not goin to poo poo him for the INT's because that's what young QB's do.

Portis has the offensive line as an excuse, but even that is wearing thin because he runs like a newborn fawn this season. He can't get his feet under him and isn't hitting the holes hard at all.

What's Moss' excuse? No idea. Horrible horrible season. Dropped passes, fumbles... Need a TRUE 2nd or 1st WR to compliment him.

The o line is old as is the D line. Drafting a bunch of new talent is going to ruin the cohesiveness of the unit and take time to get them to play well together. This teams window is CLOSING so fast... If they don't win next year it may be time to start dismantling and starting over.

I'm starting to see the light when it comes to the Joe Gibbs critics as welll. You've got the Eagles without the starting QB giving all they have against the BEST team I've seen in awhile. It can't all come down to the players and injuries, can it???

I don't think we'll make the playoffs (note that I said "think", because anything is possible in the NFL). I do think the Redskins are a good team, but constantly find ways to fail. Failure is like a dark cloud, and it's only a matter of time when the darkness brings you down. Campbell needs a big victory and he needs it now, not so much to revive playoff hopes but to simply clear that dark cloud that's hanging over him. He's doing a bang-up job as our quarterback, and for the most part this team functions superbly.

It's just those mistakes... those stupid costly mistakes that add up to a 5-6 record. And you know, as much as I like this team's performance as a whole... I just can't bring myself to smile about where this team is right now. When the offensive line goes into shambles, it still finds ways to protect our QB. When Rogers and Taylor go out of the game, the defense shuts down Tampa's offense to practically nothing. But then you realize the "do your best" attitude stopped at the high school level, and at the end of the day all that matters is their 5-6 record.

Regardless of what i say on here.Not sure that i've said anything positive yet.This is my team.Always will be my team.For better or worse,for rich or for poor.I truly feel that we are are just a few plays away from being a very dominant team.A contender for a championship.But man,We just keep imploding this year.So close.

Next year is ours!

In reply to "The only thing we are close to is a losing record. I cant help but laugh when i see posts like, we can build on this loss cause we had 6 turnovers and only gave up 19. In a must win game , the skins came out and completely HANDED t.b. the game. I think everyone needs to stop saying we are this close. If we score 23 we allow 28, if we allow 19 we can only score 13. Anyone gettin the picture here? We cant win. Even our wins feel like losses."

-----Personally, what I am saying is that I like the personnel of the team, the coaches, and the way they play. Is the result what I want so far this season, absolutely not. I am not making excuses for the team, but I can only tell you what I feel about the team and what I think they will do in the rest of the year. I like the way they play and I think they'll some find some wins.

In reply to "TEAM CHEMISTRY?!?!? Are you people serious? Unbelievable how many excuses some of you guys can make for this team.

----I haven't made any excuses for the team. Four turnovers in the first twenty minutes is not what a good football does. I don't excuse that. But what I also won't ignore is gaining 300+ yards on the best defense in the NFC in the second half and limiting TB's offense to 16 yards for the second half. That was a dominating half that wouldn't have happened without team chemistry and a team that believes in themselves. Of course, the one way they didn't dominate in the 2nd half was on the scoreboard. I don't excuse the team's mistakes or six turnovers, but I also won't ignore what they have done well, too.

In reply to "What happened in 2005 is a very rare occurrence in the NFL. 5-6 rarely becomes 10-6."

----Well, Philly did it last year--so that is two years in a row. Forget about going 5-0 for a moment. Keep in mind there are six teams that are 5-6 right now. With Detriot's difficult schedule, I believe one of those 5-6 teams will earn the last wild card spot. Maybe they go 5-0 or maybe they go 4-1 or possibly even 3-2. Well that team be Washington, let's see if they figure out how to close out games over the next five, but I think they have a great shot at it.

In reply to "I don't see much fire or pride in this group." and "You guys want to watch a team with some chemistry/heart/passion to win why don't to click your tubes over to NBC where the Eagles are fighting their butts off without McNabb against the best team in the league. Even if they lose I've been impressed with their attitude. Do you think we could this? HECK NO we couldn't!"

----I think this team should a lot of fire today. Did you see the defense play holding TB to three fields with those four turnovers as well as holding them to four 3 and outs in the second half. I don't think you can outgain a division leader 300+ to 16 in the second half and rally back from the dead without playing with fire. Did they dig themselves a deep hole, yes and I don't make any excuses for that, but I felt like they did play with fire.

----Philly was impressive tonight, but remember everyone has counted them out after they lost to Chicago. Philly fans wanted them to switch to Kolb and they were asking who they should hire as a coach for next year. Also, keep in mind if Philly had closed out NE and the season ended today, they would have earned the last wild card spot. So things can change in a hurry.

Come on people. I just sat here and read too many posts ****ing and moaning about todays loss not to say something. Seems many of you think the seasons over and we have no chance to do anything this season.

REALITY CHECK

<LI>We just finished playing two devision leaders on the road. We played Dallas very close when we were predicted to lose by 11 points and we played in Tampa where we always struggle. Those two teams are devision leaders and have very good defenses. Losing those two games to these two teams when we were 5-11 last season by less then 2 TD's combined isn't shameful or anything to be upset about. And we lost the other game to Philli who just played the toughest game New Englands had all year. They are better then there record indicates. None of these losses are bad losses. We lost to teams who are better then we are, peroid. If we had just lost to the bottom dwellers of the league then I would be upset too so don't act like these teams we lost to aren't any good, they are the best.

<LI>Our QB is in a learning process but each week seems to be slowly improving. At least were not in the Giants shoes right now with a QB whos garbage and had lots of games but isn't improving. Give Jason time and he'll improve. He moved the ball up and down the feild on a very good defense today. He can't make Moss or Portis catch the balls he throws to them they decide to drop. 300 yards passing is a good day for a QB, his INT's were a result of him being basically a rookie. He needs expirence.

<LI>Not everyone thinks our season's over. I don't. We have a bunch of winable games coming up and we just need to win them. If you thought this was any thing other then an 8-8 team this year you've only been fooling yourself. Turn arounds take time and we are witnessing it right now. We were down by more then 3 scores to start the second half and almost won the game. That's awesome. We will win these games soon. Winning is a learned behavior. If your not in a patient mood then stop bad mouthing the team and root for another team. If you like to see good football games then keep watching but use better judgment when posting. No one wants to read "The Redskins Suck" over and over again. Some of you so called fans have no loyalty. Remember you don't know what the future holds, stop acting like you do.

Give the team a break. Yea we lost today, and yea it sucks but its not the season and its not too late to make some noise. Don't quit on the team because Moss and Portis played like **** today, it happens. There are some silver linings in this loss if you look for them like:

1. Chris Cooley having a great day

2. Keenan McCardell and Reche Caldwell and playing great for us

3. Our Kicker playing good

4. Our Defense keeping us in the game all day

5. Jason Campbell having back to back 300 yard games for the first time in his career

6. Gibbs is trusting his team. He went for it multiple times on 4th down which is a good thing. Its not his fault Portis didn't get it the first time.

Lots of reasons to remain hopeful about this team. If you want to look for all the things gone wrong you'll find plenty but remember no ones perfect and hindsight is 20/20. Be fair to the team. We need to improve yes but its not like we didn't just play devision leaders on the road...:helmet:

The season is over. It has been ever since we let crappy teams play with us. Beating the Jets in OT and barely escaping the Cards mean you SUCK! It's okay. Come to grips with the fact that this team blows and you will have a much happier Christmas.

Seriously, football is about winning, not coming close. We lost to a team today that had their starting QB from last year out, his replacement went out, and the other guy still did just enough.

We lost to a team that had their 3rd string running back carve us in pieces in the 1st quarter. That is not good football.

We are NOT going to the playoffs. We will win 1 more game. This team will finish 6-10. It's over for this team and hopefully its coach.

No F-16 Chief its not over yet. If you think its over then step away from the forum and stop posting. If you need the vent and say the seasons been over because a scrappy Jets team desperate for a win took us into overtime then I say what about Pittsburgh? Is there season over because they lost to the JETS? No its not. Get grounded in the fact that we have more games to play out and if your simply upset that the Redskins aren't perfect you should realize that no one in the league is perfect and watching football isn't for you. Every single team out in the league has areas to improve upon. We aren't alone. And seriously if winning is everything to you then go jump on the Pats bandwagon, you'll be happier and less miserable and I won't have to read any more of your negative bull**** here anymore and we will all be happier :)

No F-16 Chief its not over yet. If you think its over then step away from the forum and stop posting. If you need the vent and say the seasons been over because a scrappy Jets team desperate for a win took us into overtime then I say what about Pittsburgh? Is there season over because they lost to the JETS? No its not. Get grounded in the fact that we have more games to play out and if your simply upset that the Redskins aren't perfect you should realize that no one in the league is perfect and watching football isn't for you. Every single team out in the league has areas to improve upon. We aren't alone. And seriously if winning is everything to you then go jump on the Pats bandwagon, you'll be happier and less miserable and I won't have to read any more of your negative bull**** here anymore and we will all be happier :)

Only a fan who is used to or enjoys rolling around in mediocrity would post a comment like that.

I say let the other 31 teams fight their own battles. So be it. I can envy and admire a team like the Pats or the Packers. Right now every time they step on the field they expect a win. Same with their fans. Fighting their battles and winning.

Skins cant win them all. But even their wins seem like a loss to me of late. And yeah, after four years of Gibbs I fully expect to see a winning organization for all the fan base to see. Not these predictable inconsistencies.

I will never accept mediocrity which is what our Skins seem to give us every given Sunday. We deserve better when it comes to our B and G.

Ok guys, here we go, tell me if i'm absolutely crazy or if im justified in my thoughts.

After a nights sleep on this i have been able to let this stinging loss step in a little bit.

1. Jason Campbell has been looking like a very good quarterback, for the most part. He's been stepping up and RUNNING this team. Back to back 300 yard games, finding open recievers and making plays happpen.

1a. Jason Campbell has been rushing himself in the clutch, making a few ill advised throws which has cost us 2 games. (dont worry, i'm not pulling my pitchfork and torch out) The most important thing i noticed yesterday was he has the ability to bounce back after he "lost" a game. He came out this week and played well AGAIN. He also was a little tweaked yesterday....

2. he run game has improved over the last few weeks. This week Betts stepped up. Statistically he wasnt setting any records but he was hitting holes and making stuff happen.

2b. Consistancy is the major issue here. We dont really have a running game that has been there game in and game out the entire season. Injuries to the offensive line and within the RB corps has a lot to do with these issues.

3. The Wrs are stepping up more and more. They are finally getting involved the offense, giving Campbell somewhere to throw the ball. McCardell is proving to be a viable no 3 reciever and Caldwell, if he continues the way he has been, is looking like he's got the ablity to challenge McCardell for that spot. Both of these guys have stepped in VERY well.

3a. Santana Moss is inconsistant as well. He fumbled yesterday but you cannot put that on him, the defender made an outstanding play, moss was just playing hard. But at the same time, he hasnt clarified himself as a no 1 reciever. Randle El obviously is still ailing from his hamstring injury, which is very bothersome since he appears to be the guy Campbell is the most comfortable going to.

4. Chris Cooley is a pro bowl TE. Every time he touches the ball he's gaining extra yards, hes finding open space, or hes trying to run somone over, he constantly fights. If he doesnt make it to the Pro Bowl, it's an injustice.

4a. Chris Cooley cannot be the no. 1 reciever on this team. We need the WRs to step up, First it was Moss but he hasnt done it, then it was Randle El, he's been rittled with injuries. WHO???

5. The Offensive line has been a Jenga board.... a piece gets pulled out and you pray that the whole tower doenst just fall apart.. and it hasnt. These guys somehow have pulled together and done their job. The Gelling is there and i can only say that Joe Bugel has done what he was brought here to do.

5a. The Running game needs to get more consistant, and the Offensive Line is part of the issue... not faulting what they've done.

6. The Defense stepped it up yesterday, you cannot fault them for giving up 19 points on 6 turnovers... that's 4 field goals and a TD. 3 of those turnovers came within our own 20....

6a. The Defense still has to play excessivly deep because Taylor is out. Taylor cannot be the pulse of this defense.. With him and Rogers out we took a huge hit, but that shouldnt really be the case. We need to be able to step it up more, and the Dallas game was very evident that we have an issue. It might have been contained in the Tampa game but we were facing a young qb who just got thrown into the mix.

Have you watched any games this year? Try opening your eyes next time and you will see a team that is maddeningly inconsistent. Great you love the team! So do I! But they stink and the coach/front office and players are not doing a good job.

yes, i've watched EVERY game this year, and i see a constantly improving team. I'm not justifying a 5 - 6 Record. Are we a team that can succeed in the playoffs? Right now, NO. Are we a team that has the ABILITY to do it.. right now, YES. The talent is in place, but the mentality isnt there yet. Hopefully we can right the ship this week. I agree with a lot of you in saying that there are still problems, this team is in no way, shape, or form perfect. we arent playing like a contender, but these problems can be fixed and i'm not jumping ship.

I LOVE the Skins ...

This current bunch of players are overpaid, and have yet to show their true potential on the field.

1/ Betts & Clinton - they both have had a miserable season. Clinton had 2 costly fumbles in the Tampa game that resulted in 10 points. Did he manage to score 10 points to neutralize that? I don't think so!

2/ WRs - I don't know what possessed the coaches to go with the smurfs! Perhaps Gibbs was reminiscing on the good old days when he had Clark and Sanders. None of the present bunch stack up to those two. We need tall, speedy, and physical receivers. Mix and Cadwell are good addition. And, we should have never ever cut McCardel.

3/ Props to the Defense. They made the game competitive ... If not, it would be lights out in the 1st quarter itself.

There are some positives, but way too many negatives to love this team. Mind you there is a difference between loving the Skins as a fan, and respecting this team.

As far as I am concerned, they quit when they are behind and can't find ways to win close games. A lot of that falls on Jason's broad shoulders. Take the Tampa game as a example!

Enough said ...

I love this team, but I'm a diehard homer. What else would you expect me to say? Look guys, here is the deal; I personally think that it's short sighted to be down on the Skins this season. Foremost above ALL team goals, this season represents JC's learning year as a starter. Therefore, the team is still a work in progress. Now that's the long view, & once again, I submit that your perspective on the team colors your judgement of this season. Please allow me to breifly elaborate my point.

For the Win NOW crowd:

This has indeed been a frustrating year! Seemingly, every game has been a dogfight(minus 2) to the final gun, even against the doormat teams. The Wins looked somewhat shaky, & the losses have been gut-wrenching! Not to mention a 1-3 division record highlighted by two caught-from-behind Home losses to division opponents (that should've already been KO'd in each contest), respectively. Also, after three very Winnable Road Games against division leaders, we're left in a stupor as 'the best 5-6 team in the Conference'. Hollow praise, indeed. An entire season of wasted opportunities--with more high-stakes contests yet to play.

For the "Joe's building Us a Super Bowl Contender" crowd:

Wow, what a year! Jason Campbell is the answer to our ardent prayers! To have played so well under the circumstances is extraordinary! Washington has fielded a highly competitive team featuring 1/2 of an Offensive Line(literally), 1/2 a Defensive Secondary(conspicuously missing our best Defensive Player) & revolving players at the Wideout Positions--including some players that have literally been plucked off of the street. That kind of team, sporting a young talent as it's starting Quarterback has had THREE division leading teams on the ropes late--on their own fields! Unfortunately, those games haven't been Won. But the cumulative effort to this point has the Team sitting at 5-6, squarely in the middle of this season's playoff picture. This Team has already served notice that it has designs on serious contention in the near future. And I suggest that the rest of the Conference has already taken notice.

Therefore to me, your position on the team (ie Win NOW or build a League Stalwart) largely defines your opinion of our Season. If you expected a playoff run this year, I can understand your dismay, although that goal can still be realisticly achieved. But if you measure success by an eventual Super Bowl appearance, this season provides plenty of reasons for optimism going forward. Anyhow, let the debates rage on!

Archived