Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2004 Defense or 2007 Defense?

method man

Who do you take?

I think the 2004 defense was better at holding the opponents to fewer points, but this defense is better at making plays like the Carlos Roger and London Fletcher pick 6's.

When you choose, consider the players like they were back then for 2004. So, for example, for 04, consider 04 Smoot and consider 07 Smoot for 07

I think the 2007 defense is one of the most opportunistic the Skins have had in some time, which is huge. Of the two, I would take 2007. Of course, you have to consider that the 2007 team has a more talented offense than the 2004 team did, so that helps everyone involved.

I'll take our D from this season. Sean Taylor was a straight killer in '04, but he's a better football player now. Landry > Bowen. Fletcher is more consistant than Pierce.

Marcus was healthy in '04. Our pass rush (besides Andre Carter) was better back then. Our D-Line seems to gas against the run late in games this year.

2004 - 15.8 PA through first 6 games

2007 - 14.6 PA through first 6 games

What are you talking about? :laugh:

2007 without any second thoughts....

You've gotta remember though that our offense in 2004 was on the field a lot less than this current one that has one most time of possession battles.

Thing is about 2004: Corn, Marcus, and Springs were monsters back then. Corn had the best season I've ever seen for a Skins DT (except maybe Darryl Gardener's one season here). Griff stuffed the run, piled up tons of tackles, and put great pressure on the QB. He was truly a Pro Bowl snub that year. Marcus was a Pro Bowler and Springs became the first corner in NFL history to have 6 sacks and 5 picks. Smoot that year > Rogers this year. Our NB was Walt Harris. At that point, he = Smoot now. He was underrated because he was not good in 2005 when thrust into a starting role.

Still, however, I go with this D.

It was hard to run on the '04 defense. The only time they gave up a lot of points was against the Eagles that year and the Eagles went to the Super Bowl. I think the '07 defense and the '04 defense are neck and neck. I think London Fletcher is better linebacker than Lemar Marshall and Ryan Clark and LaRon Landry are equal. The '07 defense is a lot better at DE than the '04 defense. And last but not least, the pressure comes from up front this year as opposed to blitzes from the safties and corners and linebackers in '04.

• 4 weeks later...

2004 without a doubt. We were blitzing guys like Walt Harris, Shawn Springs, Chris Clemons and Antonio Pierce 10-15 times a game.

Now, we'd be lucky if we even blitz once an entire half....and of course when we do it's some sort of stupid roughing the passer penalty

2007 hands down.

What the hell do blitzes matter if you're holding teams back? That's like saying that you like an offense more because it passes more often. Who cares as long as you're putting up points?

Carter, Taylor, Landry, McIntosh, Rogers, Montgomery, Golston? We are set for the future and these players are only going to get better.

You'd have to be crazy to take 2004 over 2007 pre-Taylor injury.

2007 hands down.

What the hell do blitzes matter if you're holding teams back? That's like saying that you like an offense more because it passes more often. Who cares as long as you're putting up points?

Carter, Taylor, Landry, McIntosh, Rogers, Montgomery, Golston? We are set for the future and these players are only going to get better.

You'd have to be crazy to take 2004 over 2007 pre-Taylor injury.

NewCliche, I believe that you've hit the nail cleanly on its head. The future of Washington Redskins Football looks bright to my eyes--lots of young talent on hand. All we need now is a Monster on the line of scrimmage. If that happens, we shoot up to elite status overnight!

For this reason, primarily, I say that 2007 has the better Defense. Not simply based on its play, but also on its future potential.

Archived