Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some telling and Startling comments from Portis

skinsn24

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/18/AR2007101802224.html

Clinton talks about how not practicing at all in training camp did not allow him to get into football shape.

He then makes a reference which seems like his future with the team might be in question.

I always thought not being part of training camp was a big deal, i dont mean playing in games, but actually practicing is important. it seems CP realizes this now.

This actually worries me a bit :(

HE WAS INJURED! Whether or not he was smiling or not is stupid and irrellevant. He has said that he wants to particpate in offseason practice and camp, just not play in preseason. I agree with him. You really think that playing in 1 or 2 series in preseason is going to affect what kind of shape he's in come regular season? Why the hell risk injury with someone of his talent and experience. LT didn't play in preseason either for the same reason.

Please read what i write before responding. I am not in favor of playing in the preseason games. I am a huge advocate of practicing though.

That was the difference between LT and Portis this offseason.

PS. Portis was not hurt, everyone in the world knew he was ok, did he just magically recover before week 1?

If the offense continues to be medicore to poor with Portis as the center piece does anyone really care if he stays?

Sure he is a nice player but it goes back to the old saying "if we are bad with him, we can be bad without him." Either way I highly doubt the guys is going anywhere.

2008 9 Million Dollar salary cap hit...nuff said.

I like Portis as a back, but he will have to restructure significantly to stay.

Does Portis want to be here next year that is the only real question. On his current contract he won't be unless:

1 - The Front office wants him

2 - He wants to be here

Not sure of the answer to either.

Good, rational post. But you forgot one thing......Portis is 9 million against the cap next season.

Now I know we overpaid Arch....Deion....and a few others. But no team in football is stupid enough to pay him 9 million next season.

9 mill for injuries....limited practice.....and mediocre performance? No chance in hell.

He either takes a fifty percent cut here.....or he takes it with another team.

And McD5 chimes in with his Portis smear campaign. Shocker. How's that sig working out for you?

Portis will probably restructure, especially if he really does want to continue being a Redskin. CP is coming off injuries, but still has put up TDs in his limited carries, and is averaging 4+ yards a carry, and is doing all of that with half his original O-line (one of the best in the NFL) out. How's your boy Ladell "1700 yards in 2007" Betts doing? But go ahead and keep saying CP has been mediocre. If that's true, then what does that make Betts? I love how you take this tone of absolute certainty with how the team is run, even though it's clear you don't have a clue.

Lastly, Bailey was outa here. I can't believe how many people don't get this. There was no way he was staying in DC. We essentially got a top back for a second rounder.

it is amazing how many people don't get that. almost as amazing as the people that defend the trade refusing to acknowledge that the market for bailey was more than portis for bailey and a 2nd. the portis deal was far from the only option.

Portis has been very average this year and Moss has been BAD. If the Redskins plan on doing anything this year, both of those guys need to step up and play. Quit talking about it and just ****ing play. You could argue that these two are the reason we aren't 5-0 and sitting pretty.

ILastly, Bailey was outa here. I can't believe how many people don't get this. There was no way he was staying in DC. We essentially got a top back for a second rounder.

I am not going to get into why "baliey was outa here" with the whole lavar getting money rather than bailey, but he WAS franchised.

A franchise tag is worth 2 first rounders.

So no it wasnt a 2nd rounder for portis.

It was

Round 1, Round 1, Round 2 for Portis.

I am not going to get into why "baliey was outa here" with the whole lavar getting money rather than bailey, but he WAS franchised.

A franchise tag is worth 2 first rounders.

So no it wasnt a 2nd rounder for portis.

It was

Round 1, Round 1, Round 2 for Portis.

Wrong.

the franchise worth is 2 1st rounders. but no1 wants to give u that, then u take the best deal out there. Thats what people dont get.. Its not fantasy football where u can field a equal trade

Right. Keep in mind, Skins24, that Portis was the best young back in the league at the time, having just set the all time league record for yards in his first 3 seasons.

Please read what i write before responding. I am not in favor of playing in the preseason games. I am a huge advocate of practicing though.

PS. Portis was not hurt, everyone in the world knew he was ok, did he just magically recover before week 1?

Boy you're a stubborn son of a gun aren't ya? How about read what I wrote: HE WAS INJURED. The whole world did not know he was ok.

Here's a quote from JLC during camp:

"CP Update (and other injuries, too)

Portis will be working on his conditioning and strengthening the area around his swollen right knee for the time being. Would be very surprising if he were to practice anytime before next Monday and Bubba Tyer, director of sports medicine, laughed when someone suggested Clinton might participate in the scrimmage Saturday in Baltimore.

No way they're going to risk anything there.

So it's a setback, but, the Redskins say, a minor setback and something not uncommon for a football player trying to get back into full playing shape after a lengthy absence due to tendinitis. Once Portis started cutting and turning and exposing the knee to contact, the knee was aggravated and discomfort set in.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204874

Portis tried to practice, but was held out for precautionary measures. This is really not very hard to understand. Keep in mind that he also suffered a broken collarbone and broken hand in the previous season. Do you really think that making him participate in 2 a days in July would have been a good thing?

You know what would be really nice?

Once again having a running back like John Riggins or Earnest Byner that simply goes to work on Sunday and runs the damn ball without complaint :)

Offseason work, no offseason work, preseason carries, no preseason carries............

just go out and produce and STFU.

why does everything with this team have to be like a damn soap opera?

You said what I said so much better. I don't have anything against CP, but I don't get why he has to constantly provide sound bytes. Hell, take a page out of your boy's book (ST) and don't speak to the media for a couple weeks.

I truly think that we might be in the market for a RB in one of the next two drafts. Not necessarily a first-rounder (I hope we spend those on the lines), but I think we are still searching for the horse that will be in the backfield with JC for the next 7-10 years.

Portis has been very average this year and Moss has been BAD. If the Redskins plan on doing anything this year, both of those guys need to step up and play. Quit talking about it and just ****ing play. You could argue that these two are the reason we aren't 5-0 and sitting pretty.

I've thought about that too. What concerns me is the injuries seem to be piling up with these two as well. Nothing major, but even small, lingering injuries can take away their explosion...which makes them nothing more than two undersized, above-average players.

There is part of me that is starting to believe that they might not be RB1 and WR1 on this team when we take the next step with Campbell and Cooley and our young, promising D.

um , are you blind? ... he's wasn't hurt? Look at how he limps off the field every other play because his knee , the same knee that was hurt in pre season , is still giving him fits

You know what would be really nice?

Once again having a running back like John Riggins or Earnest Byner that simply goes to work on Sunday and runs the damn ball without complaint :)

Offseason work, no offseason work, preseason carries, no preseason carries............

just go out and produce and STFU.

why does everything with this team have to be like a damn soap opera?

That man is already on our team.......and at 1/5th the cost of the absurd Portis contract.

He shuts his mouth.....does anything asked of him--including kickoff returns in the past......and brings it every Sunday.

If we don't give him the rock though......and see if his all-time best in skins history pace last season was for real or not......then we get what we deserve.

That man is already on our team.......and at 1/5th the cost of the absurd Portis contract.

He shuts his mouth.....does anything asked of him--including kickoff returns in the past......and brings it every Sunday.

If we don't give him the rock though......and see if his all-time best in skins history pace last season was for real or not......then we get what we deserve.

Give it up.

I think you got a lot of stuff wrong here. First off, there not using Portis like a big back at all this year. They've been running him outside behind pulling Samuels and Kendall a ton.

Second, the season is not even close to half over. We've played 5 games. There are 16 games, and then at least 3 more if you are trying to make a Superbowl run. I think it's smart they're conserving Clinton at this point.

Third, Rock has been awesome on teams this year on returns and coverage. Don't know what you're thinking there.

Lastly, Bailey was outa here. I can't believe how many people don't get this. There was no way he was staying in DC. We essentially got a top back for a second rounder.

You guys forget how many carries Portis has in his career. If he wants to conserve energy in the offseason, I say good for him. I'd much rather have him coming on now then in August.

i HATE this argument that we "essentially" got bailey for a 2nd round pick. NO WE DID NOT! Bailey was still under contract with us and we could do as we wanted with him. If another team REALLY wanted Bailey we still had the leverage to get ALOT for him(considering he is the BEST cb in the game) Instead, we gave up a sure HOF CB and a 2nd round pick(could have had Darnell Docket with that) for a running back who has given us ONE really good year.

worst. trade. ever.

i HATE this argument that we "essentially" got bailey for a 2nd round pick. NO WE DID NOT! Bailey was still under contract with us and we could do as we wanted with him. If another team REALLY wanted Bailey we still had the leverage to get ALOT for him(considering he is the BEST cb in the game) Instead, we gave up a sure HOF CB and a 2nd round pick(could have had Darnell Docket with that) for a running back who has given us ONE really good year.

worst. trade. ever.

You wildin. At the time, Clinton came off back to back BEAST seasons.

And he's given us two good seasons.

PS: Champ didn't want to be here anymore so **** him.

You wildin. At the time, Clinton came off back to back BEAST seasons.

And he's given us two good seasons.

Yeah two beast seasons in denvers scheme...wonder why hes never reproduced those numbers:rolleyes:

you really think his first season in 2004 with us was "good"? Please, mediocre at best.

:doh: So Portis is mediocre, but Betts isn't getting enough chances? You are so biased you can't even put forth a rational thought when the subject matter involves Clinton Portis. The very first game of the season, against Miami, CP and Betts got the same amount of carries. CP rushed for 97 yards, Betts for 67. CP had a TD, Betts hasn't gotten one all year. The Giants game, who was that tripping over his own man 1 yard from the endzone? The team was splitting carries between the two, and Betts wasn't producing.

So far this year, Betts has 41 carries, for 114 yards, and a 2.8 rushing average. He has 9 receptions for 84 yards, and 0 TDs.

Portis has carried the ball 83 times, for 363 yards, and a 4.2 rushing average. He has 12 receptions for 88 yards, and 3 TDs. All this while being hampered by, and recovering from, injuries. Not to mention missing most of the preseason.

Betts has been healthy and has put the work in for the team because he has been able to. Yet, CP has still outplayed him. But you're right, let's make the guy with a 2.8 rushing average and zero touchdowns our featured back because he was the product of a great O-line last season.:rolleyes:

mcd5 with his betts love. Too bad you losing that bet

I don't care about winning a bet on the internet.....what I do care about is the team winning.

And Portis is showing what most of us already knew before the season.

Now....do we stick with this crap and act happy about it? Do we look forward to paying him 9 million next season in hopes that something miraculously changes?

Or do we try another option.....and an option that costs us only 1/5th of the price.....and frees up money to build a championship contender if successful?

The correct answer has been obvious to some for a while now.....it is starting to become apparent to many more as Portis plays at a level well below $3 million a year....let alone $9 million a year.

Do we want a running game? Or do we want this nonsense?

Let's hope the coaches wake up and make the switch before a few more losses.

:doh: But you're right, let's make the guy with a 2.8 rushing average and zero touchdowns our featured back because he was the product of a great O-line last season.:rolleyes:

Elka....your intelligence is progressing. Actually, you may see the light and the big picture in just a few years more.

So we know that we can have a running game twice as good as we have now, as long as the offensive line is healthy, and Betts is running the ball.

hmmm......what to do? Pay Portis $9 million and pray he doesn't remain injury prone.....or take that $9 million and build the best offensive line in the league.

hmmm....really not that hard now is it?

I am proud of you Elka.....you are learning.:applause:

Yeah two beast seasons in denvers scheme...wonder why hes never reproduced those numbers:rolleyes:

you really think his first season in 2003 with us was "good"? Please, mediocre at best.

His first season here was in 2004, and we had no pass game, yet he still put up over 1300 yards rushing. Yes, that is good. He then went on to set a franchise record, rushing for over 1500 yards in 2005. So yes, he has matched his production since coming here.

Bailey wanted out, and wasn't the best CB in the league when he was here. I've argued this so many times, but pull up Champ's stats. His best years, by far, have all been with Denver.

Since the Bailey trade, our RB has gotten us to the playoffs, and helped us win in the playoffs. Since Bailey has been gone, our D has been a top 10 unti the majority of the seasons, save one injury-plagued year. So this team has actually benefitted more from Bailey being gone and CP arriving.

A franchise tag doesn't get you 2 first rounders for a player very often. So people need to stop with that fantasy. And no, we didn't have leverage, because, again, CHAMP WANTED OUT!It was made public, and teams knew we would be desperate to get something from him in return before we lost him to FA in the next year or two. So we got a promising young back, and Denver got a good CB who turned into a great CB. And enough with the hindsight on the 2nd round pick. "Oh, we could have gotten this player, or that player, bla blah blah..." We could have gotten a bust with that 2nd round as easily as we could have gotten a starter. Denver got Tatum Bell, who's only ever broken 1000 yards rushing once, and that was by like 12 yards or so. Wow, we really missed out there.:rolleyes:

Funny how when CP was fully healthy and getting a franchise record, very few had a problem with the trade. It wasn't until CP got injured that you all started pissing and moaning about this trade. You all are ****ing vultures.

Archived