Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some telling and Startling comments from Portis

skinsn24

Portis is also due a Roster Bonus for 2008 so if he doesn't perform they could decide to do something with him to avoid paying. I just want the old Portis back.

Didnt know about the roster bonus, so yea he needs to preform, but yea i want the old portis back as well. I dont want to have to somehow find another RB next year.

He is right. If they dont produce, then By.

This team has to much talent to be 3-2 and facing a must win game on sunday.

They put too much pressure on themselves Because they dont take care of biz early.

Now they are in a must win in week 7.

You cant play well when you are under stress like that, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

I'm very concerned about this teams frame of mind. If they are in PRESSING mode already, than thats not good.

If you take care of BIZ early, you can play loose and Confident. Now they are going to stress mode.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/18/AR2007101802224.html

Clinton talks about how not practicing at all in training camp did not allow him to get into football shape.

He then makes a reference which seems like his future with the team might be in question.

I always thought not being part of training camp was a big deal, i dont mean playing in games, but actually practicing is important. it seems CP realizes this now.

Of course he knows he needs to practice. It's not like he was holding out or skipping practice, he was injured. What's your point?

Maybe he let Lavar's comments get to him about how the Skins backload contracts and then if the player doesn't work out they drop him or restructure the contract again...

Who knows. I don't really care to be honest. I think that Portis is hearing too many people criticize him and he's starting to believe that we think Betts = Portis. Portis is an amazing back I hope he doesn't want out of Washington and I hope the Front Office doesn't bungle this and get rid of him.

Now if he doesn't produce throughout the season and gets injured again I may want to ammend these statements :)

Still, if given the choice, he would not play in preseason games.

That's the problem...Portis has ALWAYS been allowed to call his own shots, despite what the coaching staff wants. Gibbs lets him run hog wild, like allowing him to wear those socks with 47 stripes on them which got him fined and made him look like an *****clown.

If he's here next year, and so is Gibbs, don't expect Portis to play in the preseason.

Of course he knows he needs to practice. It's not like he was holding out or skipping practice, he was injured. What's your point?

He was "injuried" with a gaint smile on his face during each question all offseason.

He also kept acting like he would be fine going into week 1 and such and now is admitting he wasnt in shape.

Yeah, Clinton, I get it. You don't want to be bothered with Training Camp or play in exhibition games. You'll just come into the regular season out of condition and work your way into shape during the first six games of the season while averaging 55 yards per game and fumbling all over the place. What the hell, the first six games are just a warm-up. Once you get rolling we'll probably win ten straight. Good plan.

people are making too much of this. To me, i think he's stating the obvious. With the type of talent that we have, if we can't win with this group after 6-10 in 2004, one playoff year in 05, 5-11 in 2006, and a non-playoff year in 07 after starting (possibly 4-2), then we ALL should expect some level of turn over.

Yeah, Clinton, I get it. You don't want to be bothered with Training Camp or play in exhibition games. You'll just come into the regular season out of condition and work your way into shape during the first six games of the season while averaging 55 yards per game and fumbling all over the place. What the hell, the first six games are just a warm-up. Once you get rolling we'll probably win ten straight. Good plan.

Thats the only problem i have with his statements. Not so much that he feels this way. I'm certain no veteran likes TC or preseason, but since we already know his feelings about it, he should just keep his mouth shut.

He was "injuried" with a gaint smile on his face during each question all offseason.

He also kept acting like he would be fine going into week 1 and such and now is admitting he wasnt in shape.

HE WAS INJURED! Whether or not he was smiling or not is stupid and irrellevant. He has said that he wants to particpate in offseason practice and camp, just not play in preseason. I agree with him. You really think that playing in 1 or 2 series in preseason is going to affect what kind of shape he's in come regular season? Why the hell risk injury with someone of his talent and experience. LT didn't play in preseason either for the same reason.

CP is fat and lazy. He's one of the top highest paid backs in the league, yet he dogs it all through training camp and takes himself out of the game whenever he feels like it. He's **just now** getting into game shape, six weeks into the season?!

Don't get me wrong, the guy has all the talent in the world. But he's lazy.

First, Portis plays hard and no one can question his heart.

But looking at him with the cold eyes of a GM, one has to make several observations:

1. We do not use his skillset effectively. Our blocking scheme is not ideal for him, and we seem to run him like a big back far too much. He doesn't break nearly as many plays as he used to, probably in large measure because we took him from a scheme that ideally suited his skillset in Denver, allowing him to get to second level and utilize his speed and elusiveness, and put him into a mashing running game.

This is called bad coaching: forcing a circular player into a square hole. Why did we trade for a player ill-suited for the scheme and type of blocking we run? Portis has done everything asked, bulked up, bulked down, etc., but I bet if you asked him behind the scenes he is at least a little frustrated, and misses the days where he was in a scheme designed to give him daylight, and that didn't pretend he was a 260 lb running back.

2. He seems to be a little less durable each year. Time may prove this incorrect, but he seems like it. Our running game has a different dimension when he is in the game, but you wonder if he's going to spend the rest of his career missing games, or playing hurt/banged up (more than NFL usual), at reduced efficiency.

Take a somewhat inapt comparison: Barry Sanders. They used a scheme that suited his talent: multi-wr sets, spreading the field, slashing upfield running, etc. Had you taken Barry Sanders, and plugged him into an offense designed for John Riggins, he might have ended up much like Portis.

3. It is disconcerting to hear a player say he is finally getting into football shape when the season is almost HALF OVER.

4. Not like we could trade him, not saying we should, but you look back at the Champ Bailey trade you really wonder. . .Bailey will probably be playing at a high level years after Portis is past his prime, to say nothing of a 2nd round pick.

5. What are the specifics of his salary, what would be the cap hit if he were traded? What is his realistic trade value? How good is Mason? I'm not sold on Betts, nor am I wild about Cartwright as just a special teamer.

As good as Mason ran, you really wonder why he isn't on roster.

I'm coach (ha, ha), our starting line-up is Portis, Mason, Betts was traded for 2-3rd rounder while value was high, Cartwright third, while we look for another gem with elusiveness or speed, Bramlett?

I'm coach, we use Portis and Mason and spell them with Sellers. I think punishing people with Sellers really softens things up for Portis/Mason. Perfect compliment. Then you have two backs that are real shifty, rather than Betts who is just a plough.

Rock & Betts don't have that hit-it-out-of-park elusiveness or speed. Mason showed flashes of it. In todays NFL, I think you have to promote talent much more aggressively.

First, Portis plays hard and no one can question his heart.

But looking at him with the cold eyes of a GM, one has to make several observations:

1. We do not use his skillset effectively. Our blocking scheme is not ideal for him, and we seem to run him like a big back far too much. He doesn't break nearly as many plays as he used to, probably in large measure because we took him from a scheme that ideally suited his skillset in Denver, allowing him to get to second level and utilize his speed and elusiveness, and put him into a mashing running game.

This is called bad coaching: forcing a circular player into a square hole. Why did we trade for a player ill-suited for the scheme and type of blocking we run? Portis has done everything asked, bulked up, bulked down, etc., but I bet if you asked him behind the scenes he is at least a little frustrated, and misses the days where he was in a scheme designed to give him daylight, and that didn't pretend he was a 260 lb running back.

2. He seems to be a little less durable each year. Time may prove this incorrect, but he seems like it. Our running game has a different dimension when he is in the game, but you wonder if he's going to spend the rest of his career missing games, or playing hurt/banged up (more than NFL usual), at reduced efficiency.

Take a somewhat inapt comparison: Barry Sanders. They used a scheme that suited his talent: multi-wr sets, spreading the field, slashing upfield running, etc. Had you taken Barry Sanders, and plugged him into an offense designed for John Riggins, he might have ended up much like Portis.

3. It is disconcerting to hear a player say he is finally getting into football shape when the season is almost HALF OVER.

4. Not like we could trade him, not saying we should, but you look back at the Champ Bailey trade you really wonder. . .Bailey will probably be playing at a high level years after Portis is past his prime, to say nothing of a 2nd round pick.

5. What are the specifics of his salary, what would be the cap hit if he were traded? What is his realistic trade value? How good is Mason? I'm not sold on Betts, nor am I wild about Cartwright as just a special teamer.

I think you got a lot of stuff wrong here. First off, there not using Portis like a big back at all this year. They've been running him outside behind pulling Samuels and Kendall a ton.

Second, the season is not even close to half over. We've played 5 games. There are 16 games, and then at least 3 more if you are trying to make a Superbowl run. I think it's smart they're conserving Clinton at this point.

Third, Rock has been awesome on teams this year on returns and coverage. Don't know what you're thinking there.

Lastly, Bailey was outa here. I can't believe how many people don't get this. There was no way he was staying in DC. We essentially got a top back for a second rounder.

You guys forget how many carries Portis has in his career. If he wants to conserve energy in the offseason, I say good for him. I'd much rather have him coming on now then in August.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217251

On if he has any concern about his lack of 100-yard rushing games:

“There’s really not, considering we’re 3-2. It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. LaDainian (Tomlinson, Chargers RB, #21) proved that to you quickly, from all the bad press that he was getting early on then last week he goes out and get 198 yards. For myself, I feel like it’s coming. I feel better. My body is getting better and it feels like I can do things that I was used to doing. I actually feel good.”

On if he is getting his running legs back after missing training camp and pre-season:

“I missed a whole year of football. No football activities, no nothing. I do feel like I’m finally getting back into football shape. Next year, if I’m still here, if everything permits and I get the opportunity to go through camp, I still don’t want to play in the pre-season, but if I can go through camp, I think it will give me an edge. Right now, I really do feel like I’m getting back in football shape. In the beginning of the season I thought about doing a lot of stuff, I just couldn’t do it. As you saw in the Green Bay game, I had a couple of moves where I felt like my old self.”

On if he is not sure if he will be in Washington long-term:

“It’s not long-term. It is wins and losses. All that money doesn’t mean anything. If you don’t win, if they have you here to win and we don’t win this year you’re going to be talking to a revamped team. Hopefully I’m here for the rest of my career. I would love to be, but at the same time I talk with reality and the reality is, if you’re not getting the job done, if you’re not helping the team win then it’s time to rebuild. For us, I think we have a good

man i am so tired of extremeskins and some of our fans.

guess manny didn't care last night either. wonder what some people would say if there was a mic in their face all the time.

but hey we just sit in our chairs all comfy and bash the players, coaches and team.

Archived