Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some telling and Startling comments from Portis

skinsn24

man i am so tired of extremeskins and some of our fans.

guess manny didn't care last night either. wonder what some people would say if there was a mic in their face all the time.

but hey we just sit in our chairs all comfy and bash the players, coaches and team.

Right there with ya. You'd think we were 0 - 5. :doh:

I dont think it is really startling. Portis feels that if he isn't producing he will be off the team. However, he is a true team player and I don't think they would want to get rid of him. He is a complete back.

edit:

“It’s not long-term. It is wins and losses. All that money doesn’t mean anything. If you don’t win, if they have you here to win and we don’t win this year you’re going to be talking to a revamped team. Hopefully I’m here for the rest of my career. I would love to be, but at the same time I talk with reality and the reality is, if you’re not getting the job done, if you’re not helping the team win then it’s time to rebuild. For us, I think we have a good

Portis and Cooley for the rest of their careers sounds good! :cheers:

First, Portis plays hard and no one can question his heart.

But looking at him with the cold eyes of a GM, one has to make several observations:

1. We do not use his skillset effectively. Our blocking scheme is not ideal for him, and we seem to run him like a big back far too much. He doesn't break nearly as many plays as he used to, probably in large measure because we took him from a scheme that ideally suited his skillset in Denver, allowing him to get to second level and utilize his speed and elusiveness, and put him into a mashing running game.

This is called bad coaching: forcing a circular player into a square hole. Why did we trade for a player ill-suited for the scheme and type of blocking we run? Portis has done everything asked, bulked up, bulked down, etc., but I bet if you asked him behind the scenes he is at least a little frustrated, and misses the days where he was in a scheme designed to give him daylight, and that didn't pretend he was a 260 lb running back.

2. He seems to be a little less durable each year. Time may prove this incorrect, but he seems like it. Our running game has a different dimension when he is in the game, but you wonder if he's going to spend the rest of his career missing games, or playing hurt/banged up (more than NFL usual), at reduced efficiency.

Take a somewhat inapt comparison: Barry Sanders. They used a scheme that suited his talent: multi-wr sets, spreading the field, slashing upfield running, etc. Had you taken Barry Sanders, and plugged him into an offense designed for John Riggins, he might have ended up much like Portis.

3. It is disconcerting to hear a player say he is finally getting into football shape when the season is almost HALF OVER.

4. Not like we could trade him, not saying we should, but you look back at the Champ Bailey trade you really wonder. . .Bailey will probably be playing at a high level years after Portis is past his prime, to say nothing of a 2nd round pick.

5. What are the specifics of his salary, what would be the cap hit if he were traded? What is his realistic trade value? How good is Mason? I'm not sold on Betts, nor am I wild about Cartwright as just a special teamer.

As good as Mason ran, you really wonder why he isn't on roster.

I'm coach (ha, ha), our starting line-up is Portis, Mason, Betts was traded for 2-3rd rounder while value was high, Cartwright third, while we look for another gem with elusiveness or speed, Bramlett?

I'm coach, we use Portis and Mason and spell them with Sellers. I think punishing people with Sellers really softens things up for Portis/Mason. Perfect compliment. Then you have two backs that are real shifty, rather than Betts who is just a plough.

Rock & Betts don't have that hit-it-out-of-park elusiveness or speed. Mason showed flashes of it. In todays NFL, I think you have to promote talent much more aggressively.

1. Portis is the franchise record holder for most rushing yards in a season. So I think he has worked correctly in the system. However, he was injured all of 2006, and was sidelined halfway through the season. So now, some people view Portis as diminishing, eventhough it's not the case. Most athletes fall under this viewpoint when they've been injured, and it's wrong.

2. In 2004, CP put up 1300+ yards, in 2005 he put up 1500+ yards. Injury is the only thing that halted his prodcution. This year, he is missing half his o-line, so it's been a little slow going. He has, however, put up a TD in the majority of the games thus far.

3. Portis has been hobbled by injury, so to act surprised that he's now getting into "football shape" is bogus. It's to be expected. It seems all you "realists" don't understand that injuries limit production, and holding an injured player's production up to the standard of a healthy player's production is unfair and lame.

4. A lot of you are never going to "get" that Bailey wanted out of here, and we got, at the time, good value for Bailey. The best way to judge a player is by the impact he has on the team. Since Bailey left, our D has been a top 10 unit with the exception of one injury-plagued season. Since CP arrived, he's helped get our team to the playoffs, and set a franchise record. So, our team benefitted from the trade, despite how much a lot of you want to criticize it.

5. Our team is the master at the salary cap. If they really wanted CP gone, they would do it. CP is one of the best running backs in the NFL, and has certain intangibles the "dime a dozen" RBs will probably never have. Also, Rock is solid on special teams. He's one of the tops in the NFL last year and right now in average return yards. But you're right, let's trade a top NFL running back, and rely on our practice squad running back because he looked good in a couple preseason games.:rolleyes: Mason isn't on the roster because there isn't room right now. There are more opressing needs than a 4th RB.

In all likelyhood, if you're coach the team goes 1-15. Sellers is a big dude, and using him to "soften up" the D every game is going to wear him down by the end of the season, when you need your best players the most. Funny how most were claiming Betts was a "Gibbs RB" and now the supporters have abandoned him. You're not a GM, so you're not looking at anyone with "GMs perspective." You're looking at them through the eyes of a pessimist, err... "realist." Cuz nothing's more real than doubting your team at every turn.:rolleyes:

On if he is getting his running legs back after missing training camp and pre-season:

“I missed a whole year of football. No football activities, no nothing. I do feel like I’m finally getting back into football shape. Next year, if I’m still here, if everything permits and I get the opportunity to go through camp, I still don’t want to play in the pre-season, but if I can go through camp, I think it will give me an edge. Right now, I really do feel like I’m getting back in football shape. In the beginning of the season I thought about doing a lot of stuff, I just couldn’t do it. As you saw in the Green Bay game, I had a couple of moves where I felt like my old self.”

I feel it's coming too. He about embarrassed Al Harris with that move at midfield. Harris was still looking for Portis 3 plays later.

You know what would be really nice?

Once again having a running back like John Riggins or Earnest Byner that simply goes to work on Sunday and runs the damn ball without complaint :)

Offseason work, no offseason work, preseason carries, no preseason carries............

just go out and produce and STFU.

why does everything with this team have to be like a damn soap opera?

man i am so tired of extremeskins and some of our fans.

guess manny didn't care last night either. wonder what some people would say if there was a mic in their face all the time.

but hey we just sit in our chairs all comfy and bash the players, coaches and team.

Chill out man. Have a :cheers: or two. All your posts today have been very malicious towards everyone's opinion on this board. You don't agree with it, fine. But stop complaining about how all the ES members are garbage and we know nothing about football. Everyone has a right to their opinion. I still haven't seen you contribute to a conversation except to bash all the other posters.

Chill out man. Have a :cheers: or two. All your posts today have been very malicious towards everyone's opinion on this board. You don't agree with it, fine. But stop complaining about how all the ES members are garbage and we know nothing about football. Everyone has a right to their opinion. I still haven't seen you contribute to a conversation except to bash all the other posters.

casue the fans on this board are worse than other teams fans on this board. i have expressed my frustration with our fans.

fans support a team not look thru every little thing in the 7th week to show how bad we suck. out coach is garbage, brandond loyd should not be on the team , portis should be traded and now portis will not be back.

its to damn much. i canlt even come here on gamedays casue of the bs. its out of hand. people act like we are 0-5. where are the real fans. obviously not here.

casue the fans on this board are worse than other teams fans on this board. i have expressed my frustration with our fans.

fans support a team not look thru every little thing in the 7th week to show how bad we suck. out coach is garbage, brandond loyd should not be on the team , portis should be traded and now portis will not be back.

its to damn much. i canlt even come here on gamedays casue of the bs. its out of hand. people act like we are 0-5. where are the real fans. obviously not here.

But you're being just as crazy with your comments about everyone else who says fire Gibbs, get rid of Lloyd (which I think will happen after the season) and trade Portis.

You are no more or less of a fan then everyone else in here. We all sit in front of the TV every weekend or go to the games. Bring critical of your team doesn't mean you've given up on them or are any less of a fan. It probably means you care too much.

I haven't seen anyone say we should be 0-5, but alot of their frustration is they think with a couple of smart decisions or execution, we should be 5-0. Plus factor in the Cowpukes being 5-1 and staring at 6-1 before their bye, everyone is kinda bummed about giving 2 games away.

i dont think its anything to get too startled about.... he's been talking like this for a while. i think he wants the FO to understand that he realizes he is dispensible and genuinely wants to be a redskins, and wants a contract that will allow him to finish his career here

But you're being just as crazy with your comments about everyone else who says fire Gibbs, get rid of Lloyd (which I think will happen after the season) and trade Portis.

You are no more or less of a fan then everyone else in here. We all sit in front of the TV every weekend or go to the games. Bring critical of your team doesn't mean you've given up on them or are any less of a fan. It probably means you care too much.

I haven't seen anyone say we should be 0-5, but alot of their frustration is they think with a couple of smart decisions or execution, we should be 5-0. Plus factor in the Cowpukes being 5-1 and staring at 6-1 before their bye, everyone is kinda bummed about giving 2 games away.

less of a fan lol. right there you lost me. yes i am being vocal cause when you hear players like portis say the town has turned on him(statments he made when everyone was calling for portis to be traded) some one has to stand up for the team.

am i happy how the season has gone? no way. but just like after the chargers loss in 05 when we need to win 5 straight to go to the playoffs, i was just as vocal saying it could be done. these threads are threads for week 13 or week 14 not week 7. and i will be just as loud as those HATERS casue i bleed burgandy and gold.

when you bash the burgandy and gold your bashing us fans.

sorry if some of yall just roll with the hate but i was silent all last year (we sucked) and most of this year. some one has to be the voice of reason.

and if to you that makes me less of a fan sorry you feel that way. my passion speaks for itself. :logo:

less of a fan lol. right there you lost me. yes i am being vocal cause when you hear players like portis say the town has turned on him(statments he made when everyone was calling for portis to be traded) some one has to stand up for the team.

am i happy how the season has gone? no way. but just like after the chargers loss in 05 when we need to win 5 straight to go to the playoffs, i was just as vocal saying it could be done. these threads are threads for week 13 or week 14 not week 7. and i will be just as loud as those HATERS casue i bleed burgandy and gold.

when you bash the burgandy and gold your bashing us fans.

sorry if some of yall just roll with the hate but i was silent all last year (we sucked) and most of this year. some one has to be the voice of reason.

and if to you that makes me less of a fan sorry you feel that way. my passion speaks for itself. :logo:

You misread my post. I never said you were any less of a fan, but for you to call out others and say they are is just rediculous. I don't roll with the hate either, but I also don't get my blood pressure to the boiling point, just because someone says something utterly stupid like trade Portis.

You'll never get everyone to agree with you viewpoint, so getting all worked up about it and telling people "you disgust me as a fan", will make you look like the hater in these threads.

You just have to roll with the board. This is just a place to talk football and anything else, but if you don't get enjoyment out of it, you'll never be happy coming in here.

I'm not trying to put you down man, just trying to understand all the venom you're spewing towards your fellow posters and ES friends.

You misread my post. I never said you were any less of a fan, but for you to call out others and say they are is just rediculous. I don't roll with the hate either, but I also don't get my blood pressure to the boiling point, just because someone says something utterly stupid like trade Portis.

You'll never get everyone to agree with you viewpoint, so getting all worked up about it and telling people "you disgust me as a fan", will make you look like the hater in these threads.

You just have to roll with the board. This is just a place to talk football and anything else, but if you don't get enjoyment out of it, you'll never be happy coming in here.

I'm not trying to put you down man, just trying to understand all the venom you're spewing towards your fellow posters and ES friends.

Less hatin' more lovin for the skins. Way to speak the truth. :cheers:

His reference to being in shape wasn't just based on the fact he didn't participate in training camp, he said that he hadn't had ANY football action for a year. So he was more so saying that he was just starting to feel like himself again. He still said he didn't want to play preseason. He didn't say that somebody doesn't want him here, he said that it is about wins and losses, and if they aren't winning with the talent they have here now, then you are going to be looking at some new players on the team next year. He did say he wants to remain a Redskins for the remainder of his career. He will be fine, he just has to stay healthy. I can't imagine a reason for people not to like him, when he is healthy and running, he is top 8 in the league.

First, Portis plays hard and no one can question his heart.

But looking at him with the cold eyes of a GM, one has to make several observations:

1. We do not use his skillset effectively. Our blocking scheme is not ideal for him, and we seem to run him like a big back far too much. He doesn't break nearly as many plays as he used to, probably in large measure because we took him from a scheme that ideally suited his skillset in Denver, allowing him to get to second level and utilize his speed and elusiveness, and put him into a mashing running game.

This is called bad coaching: forcing a circular player into a square hole. Why did we trade for a player ill-suited for the scheme and type of blocking we run? Portis has done everything asked, bulked up, bulked down, etc., but I bet if you asked him behind the scenes he is at least a little frustrated, and misses the days where he was in a scheme designed to give him daylight, and that didn't pretend he was a 260 lb running back.

2. He seems to be a little less durable each year. Time may prove this incorrect, but he seems like it. Our running game has a different dimension when he is in the game, but you wonder if he's going to spend the rest of his career missing games, or playing hurt/banged up (more than NFL usual), at reduced efficiency.

Take a somewhat inapt comparison: Barry Sanders. They used a scheme that suited his talent: multi-wr sets, spreading the field, slashing upfield running, etc. Had you taken Barry Sanders, and plugged him into an offense designed for John Riggins, he might have ended up much like Portis.

3. It is disconcerting to hear a player say he is finally getting into football shape when the season is almost HALF OVER.

4. Not like we could trade him, not saying we should, but you look back at the Champ Bailey trade you really wonder. . .Bailey will probably be playing at a high level years after Portis is past his prime, to say nothing of a 2nd round pick.

5. What are the specifics of his salary, what would be the cap hit if he were traded? What is his realistic trade value? How good is Mason? I'm not sold on Betts, nor am I wild about Cartwright as just a special teamer.

As good as Mason ran, you really wonder why he isn't on roster.

I'm coach (ha, ha), our starting line-up is Portis, Mason, Betts was traded for 2-3rd rounder while value was high, Cartwright third, while we look for another gem with elusiveness or speed, Bramlett?

I'm coach, we use Portis and Mason and spell them with Sellers. I think punishing people with Sellers really softens things up for Portis/Mason. Perfect compliment. Then you have two backs that are real shifty, rather than Betts who is just a plough.

Rock & Betts don't have that hit-it-out-of-park elusiveness or speed. Mason showed flashes of it. In todays NFL, I think you have to promote talent much more aggressively.

Good, rational post. But you forgot one thing......Portis is 9 million against the cap next season.

Now I know we overpaid Arch....Deion....and a few others. But no team in football is stupid enough to pay him 9 million next season.

9 mill for injuries....limited practice.....and mediocre performance? No chance in hell.

He either takes a fifty percent cut here.....or he takes it with another team.

first i am not going out of my way to do those things. infact i am postuing in like 3 or 4 threads and you will see i am actually not that stressed over it lol.

just if they are going to spew the crap i am going to feed it back to them. i don't make threads or anything of the such.

those posting those things in the 7th week are not true fans. so i treat them as such. like it or not, fellow posters or not.

Good, rational post. But you forgot one thing......Portis is 9 million against the cap next season.

Now I know we overpaid Arch....Deion....and a few others. But no team in football is stupid enough to pay him 9 million next season.

9 mill for injuries....limited practice.....and mediocre performance? No chance in hell.

He either takes a fifty percent cut here.....or he takes it with another team.

"Restructuring" of the deal is definitely in order.

But I definitely don't want him to go. He's still a great player and I think he'll be very successful for another 5 years at least.

He's right, if we don't get anywhere and he looks beat up and out of shape the whole time, I hate to say it, but he might be gone. He's still my favorite player so I really hope he gets his act together. He was looking great back when I could say "three games, 3TDs" about three weeks ago.

He's right, if we don't get anywhere and he looks beat up and out of shape the whole time, I hate to say it, but he might be gone. He's still my favorite player so I really hope he gets his act together. He was looking great back when I could say "three games, 3TDs" about three weeks ago.

portis' production will step up.... i have a feeling his deal will be restructured at the end of the season

first i am not going out of my way to do those things. infact i am postuing in like 3 or 4 threads and you will see i am actually not that stressed over it lol.

just if they are going to spew the crap i am going to feed it back to them. i don't make threads or anything of the such.

those posting those things in the 7th week are not true fans. so i treat them as such. like it or not, fellow posters or not.

No problem with the debating. Just saying there's a right way and wrong way. I won't bust your chops anymore. I'm not here to fight with a fellow Skins fan. Enjoy the site. Hope you can get some enjoyment out of it because there are more knowledgable fans in here then stupid ones. :cheers:

portis' production will step up.... i have a feeling his deal will be restructured at the end of the season

I think now is when he's going to start really stepping it up. He hasn't been able to do much with a destroyed o line. Now everyone is starting to mesh and he'll get it going.

Archived