Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Portis. Read before you flame.

redskins0756

If you really think getting rid of portis, especially right now mid-season, is a good idea, I don't think you watch football enough - or maybe have very little idea of what it is like to hit or hit someone.

CP is a straight baller, bar none. Ladell Betts needs to step it up - and BOTH of them are doing a helluva job considering the mess our O-Line is in. Thank god we still have the caveman breaking Linebacker's heads at the second level.

Despite what was requested in the title, I am proceeding straight to flaming without reading the OP. Trade CP and replace him with...? Betts? Betts is the best BACKUP RB in the league, IMO, and a valuable part of the team, and most of us have been way too hard on him, but he is NOT a CP replacement. Sellers is great for power but has no speed or turning. CP is not replaceable right now under any circumstances. Trade CP for nothing less than an early first round pick; it'll go nicely with the other one we'll get without him.

Portis has now fumbled in what.....3 straight games right?

Thats not what "Superstars" do.

Im not saying we trade him cuz the salary cap situation could be a nightmare but it wouldnt hurt to let Betts get some more carries.

I do not think Portis is a bum by any means but he is not an elite RB anymore and thats a fact. Whether its a product of shotty O-line play or injuries to the O-line i'm not sure but his stats are what they are.

Players go through down seasons, sometimes consecutively. Edgerrin James, Marshall Faulk, Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, have all had bad seasons and bounced back.

We're passing the ball more and giving it to Ladell and Sellers more so don't expect LT numbers from Portis. Plus he sat out the preseason and didn't practice so he has to get back into football shape.

Right now he's on pace for 1152, which isn't bad considering we're spreading the ball to more runners. And you know he's going to have some bigger games so I expect more than a 1152 season.

Moss has had key dropps that resulted in ending drives in all of our games thus far. our #1 should not be catching only 50% or less of his balls.

T.O. has led the league in drops almost every year for the past 5 years. Drops happen, Moss has had a fewbad games and a bad hammy. That is all.

Do I think we need a physical WR 6'2" or taller? Yes. Could we draft one in the second or 3rd round, yes, have we? No. Will we? I believe so. Should we think about drafting a RB in the 3rd or 4th round? Yes, if they are significantly better than any O-lineman there.

You quick fix mother****ers are piping out the same reactionary bull that this Front Office has screwed up with for the last 12 years. Stop it already.

its called a slump, the entire offense (except campbell and cooley) are going thru one

O line? shot to pieces

Receiving core? injured and not playing great (consitently, obviously ARE has been outstanding thus far overall)

Coaching? not getting the job done

so lets knee jerk reaction say hes lost it and trade him away for pennies. It will be really great when he regains his pro bowl form and the 4th round draft pick we get for him doesnt even make the squad...

there are 11 games left, support your team and believe they will hit a hot steak

remember 2005? 5 games in we were 3-2 with a defense that was stopping people and an offense that couldnt take advantage of it. We were at a crossroads and what happened?

the team gelled up and decided to play redskins football and (despite having Marky Mark Brunell as a STARTER) finished 10-6 and got in the playoffs and beat TB in TB.

Oh and by the way, CP only had 3 100 yard rushing games 5 games into 2005 with ZERO TDs and people were saying he lost it, he didnt fit, trade him

- by the end of that season he had 1500+ yards and 11 TDS

In the Words of the great Mike Gundy "Get your facts straight"

YES Theres alot this team has to do and I believe WILL do.

YES CP hasnt been stellar, but lets not throw him to the wolves just yet. Its a long season and there is alot that can happen in one season

But theres a time and a place for sniping, and its isnt now.

Let remind you some of the high points of CP's 07 career - just shy of 100 in the MIA game and threw a sick block to protect his QB (do i need to post that?). Thats called Heart

In PHI - efficient running - and when JC threw his INT he laid out that DB. Thats called Heart

Giants Game - CP sucked in the 2nd half, guess what, so did everyone else on the offense (with minor exceptions)

Det - again ran an efficient 4 ypc while he and betts made them respect the ground game so JC and the air attack went for 250+

GB game - CP didnt play well, but guess what, so did everyone else again with exceptions for JC and Killer Cooley

Im new to these boards and I realize that this is America and anyone can speak their mind. I hope Im not stepping on toes, but Im tired of talk like this. Stick by your team, talk of making moves is for the offseason

T.O. has led the league in drops almost every year for the past 5 years. Drops happen, Moss has had a fewbad games and a bad hammy. That is all.

Do I think we need a physical WR 6'2" or taller? Yes. Could we draft one in the second or 3rd round, yes, have we? No. Will we? I believe so. Should we think about drafting a RB in the 3rd or 4th round? Yes, if they are significantly better than any O-lineman there.

You quick fix mother****ers are piping out the same reactionary bull that this Front Office has screwed up with for the last 12 years. Stop it already.

well said!

Portis does hold the Redskins record for most rushing yards in a season. Other than last year when he was injured, his first 2 years he still rushed over 1,000 yards (1350 and 1200 respectively). He was 3rd in rushing yards in the league in '05.

NO he is not the same back as he was in Denver, because we are not the same type of offense as the Denver Broncos. No one will deny his numbers were slightly better in Denver, but name me one RB other than TD that has lasted more than 3 years in that offensive system under Shanahan, who was a featured back getting 20 carries a game?

No one is claiming he is LT, but for real ... it takes a whole team to be in synch for those types of plays to happen. Portis is still one of the best backs in the league, IMO.

Its a ludicrous idea. ST dropped 2 picks Sunday, should we trade him? JC can't complete the long ball, I'm sure we can get a 1st rounder for him...

Lets show the rest of the team how well we treat the guys that have put their body on the line by trading Clinton. Then we'll have some players who will really want to put 110%. :doh:

I didn't say anything about trading him because of one performance, I don't even want to trade him. But all the mean spirited comments and all the childish uses of :doh: is what is ludicrous. I don't think he should be punished at all, I said it's obvious all the hits on his body is taking his toll, he is slowing down.

We can't trade Portis and get fair value for him, even if his contract didn't make it impossible. That's it... end of story.

He is injury prone and slowing down at a frightening rate, but don't you think that other teams see that? If we fans can see it, don't you feel like other franchises can see it too?

They can see it and wouldn't give up that much for the guy. Plus, like other's on here have said, that would leave us with only Betts and he's not a starting RB in this league. He's a very solid backup, but that's it.

No, we're stuck with Portis for better or worse... and I'm afraid it's going to be worse that we get out of him from now on. All Gibbs can do is make the best out of it and wistfully think of a bygone era when the salary cap didn't dictate who you keep on your team.

its called a slump, the entire offense (except campbell and cooley) are going thru one

O line? shot to pieces

Receiving core? injured and not playing great (consitently, obviously ARE has been outstanding thus far overall)

so lets knee jerk reaction say hes lost it and trade him away for pennies. It will be really great when he regains his pro bowl form and the 4th round draft pick we get for him doesnt even make the squad...

there are 11 games left, support your team and believe they will hit a hot steak

remember 2005? 5 games in we were 3-2 with a defense that was stopping people and an offense that couldnt take advantage of it. We were at a crossroads and what happened?

the team gelled up and decided to play redskins football and (despite having Marky Mark Brunell as a STARTER) finished 10-6 and got in the playoffs and beat TB in TB.

Oh and by the way, CP only had 3 100 yard rushing games 5 games into 2005 with ZERO TDs and people were saying he lost it, he didnt fit, trade him

Great post el.

We can't trade Portis and get fair value for him, even if his contract didn't make it impossible. That's it... end of story.

He is injury prone and slowing down at a frightening rate, but don't you think that other teams see that? If we fans can see it, don't you feel like other franchises can see it too?

They can see it and wouldn't give up that much for the guy. Plus, like other's on here have said, that would leave us with only Betts and he's not a starting RB in this league. He's a very solid backup, but that's it.

No, we're stuck with Portis for better or worse... and I'm afraid it's going to be worse that we get out of him from now on. All Gibbs can do is make the best out of it and wistfully think of a bygone era when the salary cap didn't dictate who you keep on your team.

Very true. All the bickering and attacking for a moot point anyway.

I wish there were a forum rule that noone can start a trade thread for ANY player without posting the cap hit it would cause.

Amen brother:applause: . This is kinda like when people say "so and so" should have made the Pro Bowl, but they don't say a word aout who DID make it that should be taken out.

We have a good team this year. We've lost to two teams that have been on the rise in close games. So somehow trading away our best RB because he fumbled is a good idea? LT fumbles and had an awful first few games. Does that mean he should have been traded away? Football players are human, everyone has bad games.

Assuming that trading Portis would be a good idea (it's not), what do you think we'd get in return? Running backs have horrible trade value. Shaun Alexander coming off an MVP year couldn't get a second round pick, neither could Edge. You think Portis, coming off an injury year, and not having a huge year in 07, after a mediocre game could net us ANYTHING? Yea we could probably squeeze a third or fourth out of a team like TB if they hadn't just snagged Bennett, but what would be the point. Trading away Portis would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. I guess we'd prove a point about ball security but we'd be hurting our team as a whole.

I have been a staunch Portis supporter, but I don't like his premadonna attitude towards practicing, hurt or not. He is not up to snuff now because of his conditioining during the preseason.

I'm not saying I agree that we need to trade him, but I would definitly consider the trade as I wouldn't previously.

Really?

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214187&page=22&pp=15&highlight=capator

O line? shot to pieces

In the Words of the great Mike Gundy "Get your facts straight"

YES Theres alot this team has to do and I believe WILL do.

YES CP hasnt been stellar, but lets not throw him to the wolves just yet. Its a long season and there is alot that can happen in one season

But theres a time and a place for sniping, and its isnt now.

Let remind you some of the high points of CP's 07 career - just shy of 100 in the MIA game and threw a sick block to protect his QB (do i need to post that?). Thats called Heart

In PHI - efficient running - and when JC threw his INT he laid out that DB. Thats called Heart

Giants Game - CP sucked in the 2nd half, guess what, so did everyone else on the offense (with minor exceptions)

Det - again ran an efficient 4 ypc while he and betts made them respect the ground game so JC and the air attack went for 250+

GB game - CP didnt play well, but guess what, so did everyone else again with exceptions for JC and Killer Cooley

Im new to these boards and I realize that this is America and anyone can speak their mind. I hope Im not stepping on toes, but Im tired of talk like this. Stick by your team, talk of making moves is for the offseason

can I just make this my sig?

One thing i have noticed. It only takes one man to tackle Clinton Portis. I havent seen him break many, if any, tackles this year.

Really, I've seen most of his gains usually include him either juking around or powering over people in his way.

Archived