Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lions: Must Win?

CommishDC

Realistically we need to beat the Lions to be in good shape for the playoffs. Is it a must win....no. We still have 4 division games and 13 games to go, so dropping to 2-2 will by no means bury us. But the Lions are a likely wild card candidate, and we need to have tiebreakers over them and other NFC teams. But a loss to Detroit would leave us with more urgency but it wouldn't kill us.

This is certainly a game we SHOULD win, but I don't really like the term "must win". Like many of you I think all the games count and if we could win them all we'd never have to worry about the playoffs.

That being said I think our schedule is very tough after this game. At the same time, traditionally we play Brady pretty well (aside from that blowout preseason loss to the Pats.) If you look back at how we've done against New England in the Brady era, not too shabby. Pack are always tough at home and Favre is playing with a lot of heart right now. You never know which Cards team is going to show up, so that game is a real toss up for me. We've always played Kurt Warner pretty well too traditionally, and he seems to be the one fueling this Cards offense right now.

That being said, let's try to take it one week at a time shall we? :)

If we can beat a team we're not favored to win, then the Lions game is not a must win. In other words, if we lose to the Lions but somehow beat the Packers... what's the win/loss difference?

Yes, winning both would be sweeter, but losing to the Lions also may have us looking in the rear view mirror if we're out of the playoffs because of one game.

Lions a must win?... YES!

In the next 3 games the Skins will be facing QB/Receiver rich teams. Without a pass rush, or an offense that is capable of scoring more than 20/ppg ... the Skins secondary will get torched. It looks all but hopeless. Then we face the Pats. Why even bother. Season over.

I thought at the beginning of the season that we would go at least 5-0 before our first loss but now things are tricky. I really do think that we NEED to beat the Lions. We HAVE to keep fighting. This is like the biggest battle of a season for a good while. Everyone (minus a few surprising teams like bears, saints, etc) seems to be holding on still and putting up a fight. We have to prepare for every game as if it could be our last chance.

Before the season, did you think GB would be 4-0? Our 5th game?

I sure didnt.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=687

It's not like we can point to the upcoming schedule and tell that foul-breathed phantasm where to get off. At 3-0 and feeling they had turned the corner, the Redskins, and their fans, could have faced the upcoming stretch with rightly earned confidence. At 2-1 though, fresh off a devastating come-from-ahead loss and with Doubt and his Putrid Posse on the prowl, it looks daunting.

It starts in two weeks with Detroit. Cake? Nope. The Lions boast the top passing offense in the NFL, a stable of thoroughbred wideouts and a veteran quarterback--the NFL's leading passer--who just hung 446 passing yards on the same Philadelphia Eagles that held Jason Campbell to 209.

Then it's off to Wisconsin and historic Lambeau Field, where the Redskins will face the man who will retire in a year or two as the all time leading passer in NFL history.

Think Washington had a tough time with Eli Manning? This fellow is in a class Eli, with due respect, sees only in his dreams. All this fellow has done so far is throw for two TDs and nearly 290 yards a game in leading his Green Bay Packers to a 3-0 start.

Up next is a trip to Phoenix to face another stable of stud receivers and cagey veteran quarterback. (You just know we won't see "Matty" Leinert). All that guy did was come off the bench Sunday and light up the vaunted Baltimore Ravens defense, on the road, for 258 yards and 2 TDs in a little over two quarters of work.

And in case anyone's blocked it out, after that it's up north to visit a man named Brady. A man who, as of this moment, looks ready to jump to whatever higher league they send you to after you've finished having your way with the NFL.

So why keep pounding on all this potential misery? Simply, to leave no doubt that after what happened on Sunday, this is a Redskins team at a crossroads. A major crossroads.

Yes, one could make a case it's not really all that bad--that it just feels that way given the lingering post-meltdown hangover and no chance to do anything about it for two weeks. The team is 2-1, after all.

And with two weeks to prepare for a team a playoff hopeful like the Redskins "should" be able to beat, the Redskins are arguably still exactly what many thought they were before the MNF win in Philly started everyone thinking grander thoughts--a team with a chance to be good, maybe more than that, if they can put themselves in position to contend by winning enough games early.

But Sunday's collapse dramatically changed the mindset. At halftime on Sunday, all signs pointed to this a team on its way. Today, it looks very different, leaving us to wonder: What are the real 2007 Redskins?

That's a question surely not just in the minds of the fans. In their private moments, one has to believe the men charged with reversing what happened on Sunday hear the whispers as well.

All of which conspires to make the Detroit game as close to a "must win" as the Washington Redskins have faced in a long time.

Win, and look like the tough, resourceful team we saw through halftime of Week 3, and the Giant collapse will look like nothing more than a growing team getting ahead of itself, paying the price for letting its guard down in a street fight.

Lose, however, whether by fluke or folly...and at 2-2, on a two-game home skid with road games against Green Bay and New England on tap in two of the next three weeks, and the Redskins will be suddenly be staring another sub-.500 first half straight in the face. And the demon chorus will grow.

Eight long months of steady growth, two-and-a-half games of strong play, followed by 30 minutes of sudden ineptness, and it's déjà vu all over again. That's how quickly the landscape changed.

Here it is in a nutshell: For Gibbs II, it has to happen in 2007. Another down year and the unrest in the hills will get out of hand. Now, with demons once again afoot and nothing less than the legacy of his return at stake, Joe Gibbs faces the biggest early season game in his storied career.

Make no mistake--Detroit is big. Really big.

Other than the "ever game is important" shtick, we need to show we have made some adjustments following the bye. Given how we lost at home, we have to be able to make adjustments on the fly and stay on top of teams for four quarters. I really feel Gibbs needs to let Saunders work and let him call the plays directly. The whole play forwarding thing is costing us play clock time and probably causing mistakes in transcription.

As others have said, I want to win all 16 games. But we have to have this at home. We have to beat Det, Ariz and say we lose at GB, going against NE at 4-2. 3-3 or worse is the end for us.

I have a feeling we will beat NE soundly, especially if we are .500 or worse. If we are 4-2 or 5-1 via our trademark shaky wins? We are going to get smashed! :laugh:

I am of the opinion that this is a pivotal game for the Redskins. A must win? No. A greatly needed win? Absolutely. The Skins need to show themselves as a top contender in the NFC and the way to do that is to play well, and defeat another contender in the NFC...especially at home....ESPECIALLY after coming off a bye.

What? The Lions are a contender. You're damn right they are, and they need to be taken seriously. I don't give a **** if thier record is 0-100 against the Skins at home, it's 2007 and times ****ing change. We need to step it up to 3-1. Period. We need to instill a quiet confidence and an attitude of winning if we're going to make it into the post season.

This game is huge, and I'll admit, I'm little worried.

Archived