Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis needs more carries.

illone

Maybe you should read the entire post before you comment.

The Skins are 11-2 when Portis rushes 25+ times per game.

That's a pretty telling stat IMO.

While I agree that Portis needs the ball more...

i think you stat speaks much more of correlation than it does casuation.

Typically in a game that you are ahead you run more and throw more when trailing, I dont think it is any big football suprise that you will have more rushing attempts in victories.

That said I am willing to be (although I havnt looked) that most teams have a great W-L record when their primary back has 25+ carries in a game.

How can you say Portis is a beast AND he doesn't need more carries in the same sentence?

Have U ever seen him block? U ever seen him catch? And talking about giving him 28 - 32 carries over an entire season i find to be absurd. He's not a LJ, LT , Riggins , Stephen Davis Kinda back. I mean U think a guy like Marshall Faulk got 30 carries a game for a whole season? RB like Portis do alot more than just run the football thats all im trying to say. And like I stated earlier there are plenty of other players on this team to help Portis carry the load.

Look I love the running game Im not gonna say bomb it down the field every time, this isnt 91'. But over the course of a season U cant expect 1 guy to carry an entire team. Somebody else needs to step up so other teams dont just key on Portis all game. 20 carries with some catches does that really sound that bad to you?Go Skins!

EDIT: How many times total did Portis touch the ball in the Giants game? I only remember that he had 90 some total yards.

Portis should stay in the 20 range. He's not a bruiser and he'll beak down trying to pack the ball 25 times a game. Even bruisers don't get that many carries very often.

I think this is the point that is missed. You don't abuse guys like Portis, or else you won't have them for very long.

Fact is, Betts is very much needed to take some of those carries so that Portis will have a long career.

Jason

illone -- Clinton Portis needs to touch the ball 25+ times per game. Here’s why:

In 2004 Portis played in 15 games. 5 of those were wins. In those 5 wins Portis averaged 33 rushing attempts per game. In the 10 losses, Portis averaged 17 carries per game.

Bogus stat, my friend.

Teams that have a lead usually win. Teams that have a lead, usually run to milk the clock. Thus there is a correlation between winning and a larger number of carries no matter who runs the ball (Betts + Portis would do it too).

But, correlation does not imply causation. In other words, 25+ carries does nothing to enhance your chances of winning unless you already have the lead.

Bogus stat, my friend.

Please explain how it's bogus:laugh:

Clearly teams run the ball more when ahead in games. That isn't what this thread is about. When Portis is MORE involved in the gameplan, i.e. more carries, the Skins chances of winning go up when he touches the ball 20 times, and even more when he touches the ball 25 times. If I'm the Redskins I go into each game with a benchmark of 20 carries for Portis. Betts would get some carries, too, but the GOAL each week is to get it into Portis hands at least 20 times. If that happens we at least have a 66% chance of winning the game. Less than 20 carries, the chances of winning go down considerably.

I didn't make this stuff up. The stats are what they are.

I think this is the point that is missed. You don't abuse guys like Portis, or else you won't have them for very long.

Fact is, Betts is very much needed to take some of those carries so that Portis will have a long career.

Jason

There's a reason guys like Tiki made it as long as he did. Tiki spent allot of his career splitting time with other RBs. A slasher like Barry Sanders is a rare example of that type of back enjoying a long career despite spending his whole career as the sole runner for a team. Portis doesn't need a full work load every week. I can see him having some games where you give him the ball 25 times when he's on, but he isn't the type you should do that with week after week. The small nagging injuries affect him already yet his heart allows him to play despite it, but there comes a time when heart can no longer keep you standing. I just want him here for a long time and not retired by 29 so keeping his workload modest is our best option.

Portis needs to have more carries. The only time he should come out is if he really needs a breather and/or if he gets hurt. Splitting the carries between the two is not working because it does not allow either of them to get into rythm. We are just screwing ourselves over doing this. Like having Betts in for the final two plays of the game only to see him choke and trip all over himself. I'm sorry to bring that back up but I'm still not over that. :(

You're missing a key ingredient here: the reason why the Redskins were able to run the ball so effectively in many of those wins was because defenses respected our ability to go deep with Moss. I agree, feed that man the ball, but we MUST make them respect our passing game in order to do that.

Please explain how it's bogus:laugh:

I did, but you didn't understand. It's a misleading stat because winning teams pad their rushing stats by 20 to 35% by running out the clock when leading.

Portis ran 33 times in those five games because the Skins were winning. They didn't win because he ran 33 times.

I did, but you didn't understand. It's a misleading stat because winning teams pad their rushing stats by 20 to 35% by running out the clock when leading.

Portis ran 33 times in those five games because the Skins were winning. They didn't win because he ran 33 times.

very true. For example, once we went up 35-0 on Dallas it turned into clock milking thus many 2nd half runs

I agree and if you want to be Detroit we're going to have to do what we did in 2004. Portis ran the ball 34 times against Detroit for147 yds. He also threw a TD in that game. Portis is the leader of this team and I'm glad most of you can see that now. To bad there were lots of you running you mouth about CP last year. Anyway he's the link to the game against Detroit in 2004, for those who want to see it themselves.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=27028&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2004&week=REG9

Archived