Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis needs more carries.

illone

Clinton Portis needs to touch the ball 25+ times per game. Here’s why:

In 2004 Portis played in 15 games. 5 of those were wins. In those 5 wins Portis averaged 33 rushing attempts per game. In the 10 losses, Portis averaged 17 carries per game.

In 2005 Portis played in all 16 games. In his best season as a Redskin he averaged 23.3 carries per game in the 10 wins, and 19.8 carries in the losses.

In 2006 Portis only played in 8 games, but in the wins he averaged 22 carries per game, and only 12 carries per game in the losses he was involved in.

This proves that despite a breakout year for Betts in 2006, which was very nice, we should NOT be putting Betts in the game at the expense of Portis. Betts is a fine player and a great change of pace back, but Portis needs to touch the ball at least 25 times and the chances of the Redskins winning the game go up by a huge margin.

The Skins have lost two games in four years where Portis gets the ball 25 times or more. Once was against Baltimore in a game Brunell lost on his own. The other one was against SD in 2005, a game the Redskins had opportunities to win. Point being, when Portis gets the ball 25+ times per game, the Redskins are 11-2. That means the Skins have an 84.6% chance of winning when CP gets the ball 25+ times. When Portis gets the ball 20+ times per game, the Skins are 15-10, still a winning record and the Skins chances of victory are 66.6%.

However, when Portis gets the ball less than 20 times per game, things get quite ugly. The Skins are 3-11 when Portis carries less than 20 times per game.

This is not a Betts vs. Portis thread. My point here is Portis needs the rock 25+ times per game. I think if the Redskins focus on this, our offense will improve and Campbell will get better. If we continue running back by committee and put Betts in the game at the expense of Portis getting carries, we’re going to sputter and not accomplish what we want this season.

Now, I’m not saying Betts should not be on the field. On the contrary, actually, we just need to focus on getting Portis the football at least 20 times per game and use Betts in a true backup role. He deserves more carries this year, sure, but not at the expense of Portis getting less carries. I’d love to see this offense put both running backs over 1,000 yards this season, but in order for that to happen Portis is going to need to be the first option.

Our running backs are NOT interchangeable.

:2cents:

Naturally, Portis carries the ball more when we are winning and less when we're playing from behind and throwing the ball more.

Sure we want him to get more carries, but it's not necessarily true that we win because he carries the ball more often. It's far more likely that he carries the ball more when we're winning, thus the statistics you mentioned.

I do agree, however, about the backs not being interchangeable. Portis is still one of the more talented backs in the league, regardless of his injury issues. He is much more of a playmaker than Betts, and I think it's especially noticeable on the plays that could possibly get blown up at or behind the line of scrimmage. Portis makes the most out of these, getting the additional yard or two, while Betts goes down easily. That's crucial for keeping the yardage to go manageable for Campbell.

and in other news..

67627_a0cg7dmt8u8.jpg

What wha wha the Redskins need to do is hand the ball off to Clinton Portis and let him score. Granted he's no Brett Favre but I think that Brett would need wings to go as fast as Portis does. Speaking of wings, dont you think that anything that has wings taste better? I mean theres turkey, duck hell even turducken. Man I wish that hogies had wings...

25+ I didnt read anything past that sorry. I dont agree with 25+ at all especially since we have Betts. Dont give me this Betts didnt score at the end of the Giants game crap either. They both need to run the ball and the O-line needs to NUT the H3ll up! ( sorry for the GoW reference, but That $h!t is funny) Also with ARE, Moss and Cooley there is no need for Portis to carry the entire load!

I definitely think the success of Betts was tied closely to the strength of our O-line last year. Portis has the better elusive ability which will be necessary with our limping right side. Best thing that could happen in my opinion would be taking Betts out of the equation, but that's not gonna happen.

Basically they both need to carry about 25-30 total between Betts and Portis and they have to be smartly designed runs.

This will all change by next year when Campbell has a greater grasp of the offense, we have a receiving corps without Lloyd and Portis/Betts wont face 8 in the box constantly.

The question is, can Clinton hold up over the course of a season with 25-30 carries a game? He's a slasher. Not a bruiser. Ladell will get that range of rushes before Clinton will.

Yeah and Betts would gain 75 yards off of those 25 carries while Portis could go for 150.

Portis is better than Betts and when your RBs are concerned you give the rock 20+ times to the man with the hot hand. That's what the Colts did last year and now Addai is a stud. You don't split carries for the sake of splitting carries. You split them to see which one works better against a certain defense.

To date, Portis has been better against all three.

The question is, can Clinton hold up over the course of a season with 25-30 carries a game? He's a slasher. Not a bruiser. Ladell will get that range of rushes before Clinton will.

slasher not a bruiser???

i think he is definitely a bruiser. while he doesnt have the size of your average bruiser, he loves lowering his shoulders.... thats what makes him so effective he has the speed of a slasher and the mentality of a bruiser, he is always going forward

Basically they both need to carry about 25-30 total between Betts and Portis and they have to be smartly designed runs.

This will all change by next year when Campbell has a greater grasp of the offense, we have a receiving corps without Lloyd and Portis/Betts wont face 8 in the box constantly.

I actually think we should be running the ball 40+ times per game. 20-25 for Portis, 10-15 for Betts, and 5 for Sellars. Throw in 1-2 gadget plays to ARE and we hit 40 rushes per game consistently.

The point is, though, Portis should be the #1 option at RB. Not this interchangeable crap that Gibbs has been spewing. No DC in the league is going to defend those guys the same, so how can they be interchangeable?

Maybe you should read the entire post before you comment.

25+ I dont care what your points are im sure ive heard them before! Why do U think a 2 back system has been so successful in the NFL? Portis need the ball 15- 20 times and Betts needs about the same. W/E believe what U want! Portis a beast he dosnt need more carries he just needs to be on the field, he's a Killa even when he dosnt have the ball in his hands!

and in other news..

67627_a0cg7dmt8u8.jpg

What wha wha the Redskins need to do is hand the ball off to Clinton Portis and let him score. Granted he's no Brett Favre but I think that Brett would need wings to go as fast as Portis does. Speaking of wings, dont you think that anything that has wings taste better? I mean theres turkey, duck hell even turducken. Man I wish that hogies had wings...

:rotflmao: Good internets!

Maybe you should read the entire post before you comment.

25+ I dont care what your points are im sure ive heard them before! Why do U think a 2 back system has been so successful in the NFL? Portis need the ball 15- 20 times and Betts needs about the same. W/E believe what U want! Portis a beast he dosnt need more carries he just needs to be on the field, he's a Killa even when he dosnt have the ball in his hands!

:laugh:

How can you say Portis is a beast AND he doesn't need more carries in the same sentence? :doh:

Archived