Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs has NO CONFIDENCE

lovemaskins

Agree 100%. It hurts to say, but Gibbs won't change in this regard, he has morphed in Schottenheimer. Best summary of game I've read anywhere, and you right. It really makes you wonder if it is time for Gibbs to go.
The defense was on the field the ENTIRE second half.

NO defense can play that long. And the giants have a decent O.

We stopped attacking, and played preventish.

Gibbs doesn't have the nuts to do what we should have--come out passing in the 3rd quarter. We only started going long when we were behind and time was running out. But keep sending Clinton up the gut to get mashed, while not attacking the weakness of the giants D, the secondary.

This was a coaching loss. It hurts to admit, but if Gibbs keeps coaching like this the game has passed him by.

Thanks for a knowledgeable response, and not because you're essentially agreeing with me, but because it's the truth. Some people just don't want to admit the way we play. I think I heard Madden say last week that we blew like 5 or 6 11 point leads last year. That's rediculous. We have to put teams away. What's worse, is that Cartwright had a heck of a day returning the ball and we just pissed the field position away.

Not to mention, why are we running in the 3rd when teams know we will with Jansen and Thomas out on the O-line. It's not like were super strong there.

This was a coaching loss. It hurts to admit, but if Gibbs keeps coaching like this the game has passed him by.

And I assume you were saying that the game had passed him by the last 2 weeks too right? when we were winning? this isn't just a "we're losing now, Gibbs must suck" statement is it? Look, the game hasn't passed him by, Gibbs isn't calling the plays, he is talking to Saunders, but Saunders ultimatley makes the call. Trust me, this won't happen again, it was a learning experience. In the end you're right, it was a coaching mistake, but the only mistake was Gibbs and Saunders leaving the game in the hands of the defense. They couldn't stop anybody. This team will go for the jugular from here on out, believe that. The defense has to do their part though also.

Gibbs won a ton and has 3 rings without the help of a hall of fame quarterback, a luxury "Bellichick of today" certainly has. Also, how many championships has Bellichick won without Charlie Weiss or Romeo Crennell? Gibbs' coaching staff was always changing and he continued to win. When Gibbs got to the playoffs he didn't squeak by everyone he played like your boy Bellichick. Gibbs dominated, he never sat on a lead, 51-7 ring a bell in the playoffs against the Rams. 42-10 in the Super Bowl do anything for you? How about 41-10 in the NFC championship against the Lions?

That's the Gibbs I remember, but that's not him now. I want that Gibbs again. The Gibbs who said how great you were in the press conference after he waxed you 51-7. Not the one sweating bullets, feeling happy he squeaked by u. Your right, hopefully he learns another lesson today and uses it going into this bye week.

And I assume you were saying that the game had passed him by the last 2 weeks too right? when we were winning? this isn't just a "we're losing now, Gibbs must suck" statement is it? Look, the game hasn't passed him by, Gibbs isn't calling the plays, he is talking to Saunders, but Saunders ultimatley makes the call. Trust me, this won't happen again, it was a learning experience. In the end you're right, it was a coaching mistake, but the only mistake was Gibbs and Saunders leaving the game in the hands of the defense. They couldn't stop anybody. This team will go for the jugular from here on out, believe that. The defense has to do their part though also.

For all Redskin Fans sake, I hope your right. Cause if not, it's gonna be another long stressful season.

carlos rogers cannot tackle. if he had made that tackle on plaxico, none of this threads would have started. i am tired of carlos. its time we put him in nickel package where he belongs. put in a bigger physical cornerr. and gibbs needs to play to whoop ass. not play to not lose. a little too conservative.....we are capable of scoring this should be the coachings mentality.... ..PLAY 4 QUARTERS LIKE WE ARE DOWN!

Sorry to burst your little bubble but I've seen Gibbs have faithhhh in this offense and Ive seen this offense unable to execute. JC has been nothing more than an overhyped qb who has not proved he can do the job, Put it on Gibbs if you like, But when I see recievers on the field shaking their heads at some of these passes, well, lets just say uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Both of your posts have merit. The reason why Gibbs likes Campbell, and the reason why he kept playing Brunell and got rid of Ramsey is not because of their respective amount of talent, it's because he likes QBs who don't take chances. He would rather under-perform and leave the other team room for a comeback than risk a turnover. Campbell may miss on almost half his throws, but it's usually overthrown out of bounds. Brunell may not be able to throw a pass over 10 yards, but at least he doesn't take chances. That's what makes them good QBs in Gibbs's eyes. Ramsey was always trying to make plays, and that's why he had to go.

IMO Gibbs is done as a head coach. He's way too timid and doesn't have the attitude & instincts to be successful in the NFL as it now stands. Yesterday was a prime example of his "capabilities" and given that DS would be well served to start looking for a more "hungry" HC. Man that was such a pathetic performance.

I wanted to put this stat somewhere without starting yet another thread regarding yesterday's horrid 2nd half and I guess I'll do it here.

Redskins record when leading at halftime:

Gibbs 1 (aka: The Real Joe Gibbs Era) 98-11-0

Everybody's favorite whipping boy Norval: 36-16-1

Gibbs 2 (aka: Who the Hell is this guy?) 16-11-0

I don't know what it is, but Gibbs' shoddy record coming out of halftime with a lead these last 4 years has to mean something.

I don't know if it's a lack of confidence or getting conservative or just simply being outcoached.

Redskins record when leading at halftime:

Gibbs 1 (aka: The Real Joe Gibbs Era) 98-11-0

Everybody's favorite whipping boy Norval: 36-16-1

Gibbs 2 (aka: Who the Hell is this guy?) 16-11-0

I don't know what it is, but Gibbs' shoddy record coming out of halftime with a lead these last 4 years has to mean something.

I don't know if it's a lack of confidence or getting conservative or just simply being outcoached.

It's the ball sack.

They don't put teams away and the other team knows it so the defense is prepared.

ya i think this was mentioned before. I understand the team should have the mentality that we are going to go out and smash another team but I what hes saying is we need to take every team seriously and that no team is going to just give up on the game and that we can't just overlook them. Even if we do play a team where we know we are going to beat them heavily do you really want Gibbs to go out and say "oh ya those guys suck we'll destroy them for sure"?
Don't expect him to say bad things, butr this team is a real contender. I know we say that every year, but this time it's true. The conservatism in the second half cost us the game. It's like eating spaghetti with out any sauce.

Well, If we get some decent passing yards on 1st or second down, or even attempt a pass, maybe the defenses would be less likely to be ready for a pass on 3rd an 11, and instead of only having 81 yards in the second half, most of that coming from the last drive, if we're getting stuffed for negative yards two plays in a row, then fail to complete a pass you'd think gibbs would try something new the next set of downs, but no, right back to running the ball. it's poor playcalling that lost the game and that's too bad there's alot of talent on this team beng held back by it.

That's the Gibbs I remember, but that's not him now. I want that Gibbs again. The Gibbs who said how great you were in the press conference after he waxed you 51-7. Not the one sweating bullets, feeling happy he squeaked by u. Your right, hopefully he learns another lesson today and uses it going into this bye week.

Nope, I'm not buying it.

This is year 4.

If he learned then he did it the first and maybe 2nd year. Right now it's just stubbornness. He is the definition of playing not to lose. No confidence whatsoever. I could understand if he had just taken over this team but this is year 4. This is his team, his hand picked guys. If you can't have confidence in that then you never will. :2cents:

Play to score and the W will happen. Play not to mess up and well ... it will be close or worse.

I believe we can get ahold of ourselves and step up our agression level.

Football is not about being nice, it is about laying out the guy in front of you and sometimes stepping on him.

you know what, you guys may be right. Maybe I'm overreacting, it's no concern we had almost two hundred yards of offense in the first half, three total turnovers, and from halfitme until min left we had nine yards of total offense. Okay, I'm the crazy one. I just watched Dallas annihilate the Bears because they kept pounding, or the Eagles putting up fifty today, but Im the overreacting. So screw it, 14 point lead, 2nd and 3rd and long, I'll be yelling "gut and power, gut and power, screen pass, YEAH."

agreed.

I don't think I'm overreacting when I say that I saw:

- timid play calling

- inept execution

- no vision on defense in the second half

- a confused 2 minute offense

- awful game management

I could be a little off base here, but doesn't it seem that Gibbs wastes timeouts in the 4th quarter this time around? I still don't see the reason to call 2 timeouts between 2:45 and 2:25 left in the game, when you know you're going to get the ball back. The Defense, looked good on that series.

Also, the Cowboys look like a team with confidence. A team who's coaching staff instills that confidence in them. I'm not saying that our team doesn't have the confidence, I just don't see much of a trust factor, but maybe that's because JC's accuracy leaves a little more to be desired. Seems to me to be some of the coaching staffs problems.

The really good teams really try and demoralize their opponents. This league is too close in parity to win with a conservative temperment. It's a losers mentality. Perhaps you could years ago in Joes first regime, not now. Teams are to good and too balanced. Until our coaches change their mentality, each game will be a nail biter and we will be like 8 - 8 or 9-7.

We had a chance at 17 to 3 take control of that game. It's about being relentless and making other teams start to doubt themselves. That is what we allowed the Giants to do to us. You have to stay aggressive. The coaches have to trust in Jason more. He got us down there, let him finish it. It would have done a lot for his development and the teams confidence in him that he can lead in crucial situations.

The first spike was unecessary. Not one attempt every went in the end zone. Even when Joe kicked on first down in the Miami game was again him thinking "What bad could happen, instead, of "Kill them, beat them down." It's the difference between playing "Not to lose" and "Playing to win the game."

My concern, is that I don't think Joe will ever change, it's his "Cautious" nature.

To run two identical running plays down there was a travesty. At least disquise it more. It was too predicatable, thus a stop and a subsequent loss. Spread them out, get them a bit on their toes. Run a quarterback draw with Jason out of the shotgun, etc. That jumbo package is so eighties and nineties. And, it's predicatability cost us.

Hopefully the coaching staff more then the players will learn from this "Bad" loss. It doesn't' help that Dallas looks like a Jugernaut in the NFC.

Nope, I'm not buying it.

This is year 4.

If he learned then he did it the first and maybe 2nd year. Right now it's just stubbornness. He is the definition of playing not to lose. No confidence whatsoever. I could understand if he had just taken over this team but this is year 4. This is his team, his hand picked guys. If you can't have confidence in that then you never will. :2cents:

This team shouldn't be playing this way. If we had played that game to go out and stab the knife in further and still lost the game; I don't think many people would have the same "let down" type of feeling this morning. Its a let down on a majority of fronts. Gibbs needs to get pissed more often.

In this age of parirty where games are won and lost on 1 or 2 big plays ... you need a coaching philosophy that is risk oriented in order to win consistently. Everyone agrees that Gibbs does not have this temperament ... so what else is new. Look for a a new HC in 2008. In the meantime, Campbell is getting much needed experience and continues to amaze with arm, if not his head.

Just watched the postgame interview with Gibbs and I feel Gibbs doesn't have the balls needed in todays NfL. I love Joe Gibbs and what he stands for, but in his interview he keeps saying "each game is gonna be close" and "we've told the players the games are gonna be close."

IMHO the coaches have to believe we can and should be blowing teams out or winning commandingly. Good teams like the Patriots, Colts, and (I hate to say it) the Cowboys are looking to put a foot in you when you're down. It seems we're just trying escape with the win. Art said it himself after the Miami game that we had a chance to make a statement and smash the ball down their throat and win like a good team should, but we were afraid and decided to punt on fourth down. We won, great, but that attitide of "just escape seemed to catch us today.

In the second half we shoulda came out gunnin' and like Mortal Kombat "Finish Them." Unfortunately, we went to the run, run, pass offense and wore out the defense. No freakin way Belichek would did that. He would've tried to run up the score, no huddle, deep crossing routes, etc...

I think the players have accepted the Joe Gibbs strategy of just get out with a win and even they, other than Campbell, look to just try to do just that. One reporter even asked the question about the conservatism and Gibbs just brushed it off like 'nope we just couldn't get in sync.' Gibbs is modest but not that modest. He meant what he said and said what he meant.

Until Joe and Co. get some balls we're gonna continue to see leads evaporate and play and lose close games we should win easily or blow out. Like I said I love Joe and the Skins but games like today and the last two weeks should not be how we look to win if we seriously intend to contend. :doh: :2cents:

I agree. However, the Skins offensive philosphy, under Joe Gibbs, hasn't always been like that. Joe Gibbs just doesn't have confidence in Jason Campbell, yet. To the extent that Gibbs does have confidence... will go our season. We left way too much Offensive Firepower unused and in the closet on Sunday.

]']I'm not going to disagree and say that we need to be more ballsy and go for the jugular' date=' but Gibbs can come around. I haven't given up on him yet, there isn't a reason to give up.[/quote']

Absolutely agree.

On the one extreme you have people who think you can't criticize Gibbs because of the 3 Lombardi's. But the problem is, this Coach Gibbs is not the same Coach Gibbs we had earlier. It's just not the same person. It might as well be his brother or son or father. Somedays it seems like his third cousin once removed. :)

But on the other hand, we don't need more change around here. And Gibbs has done some good things here considering he inherited a pretty bad college team basically. Things are a lot better than they were.

But they need to get a lot better still.

Archived