Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If guilty of spying Pats should be kept from playoffs.

cozmikbuffalo

Listening to Tyrell Davis on NFL Network this morning and I agree with him that the punishment to any team found guilty of spying should be suspension from any playoff involvment and loss of draft picks. This was especially stupid because the Pats are loaded with talent , they didn't need to cheat like that.

They were talking about this today on the Afternoon Blitz and both Schein and Wilcox mentioned that the Dolphins stole signals (don't recall if it was via video) from the Patriots and promptly handed them a goose egg. I guess the bottom line here is the Patriots may not be the only team doing this...

...I recall we said the same thing about Nixon a little while back :)

Is it really that serious of an offense? I don't know. I would imagine that attempting to steal signals during a game is not that uncommon in the NFL, it's just that the Pats used a video camera instead of binoculars. They cheated, they got caught, and they deserve punishment. But let's not go overboard on the ramifications of this.

I'll just say that it'll be very interesting to see how Goodell handles this. He's been going after Vick, Pacman, Chris Henry, and Odell Thurman. He has to set an example for the teams as well. This is blantant cheating by the Pats and they didn't even need to do that. The punishment should be forfeit of the game and loss of draft picks for this year. As a matter of fact, they shouldn't even have a draft this year. :helmet:

Is it really that serious of an offense? I don't know. I would imagine that attempting to steal signals during a game is not that uncommon in the NFL, it's just that the Pats used a video camera instead of binoculars. They cheated, they got caught, and they deserve punishment. But let's not go overboard on the ramifications of this.

Seriously, if teams weren't going to steal plays from each other, you wouldn't need signals in the first place. I'm sure most teams already take precautions against this sort of thing. If it was that easy to spy on the Jets, they deserve to have it happen to them. You're telling me you wouldn't decode Dallas' plays to beat them if they laid them out in front of you? To me, that's just another part of the game; protect your playbook.

It could be, if you steal their signals first half, and then they know what your blitzes, etc. are, where your rush is coming from, etc. Blocking alone that's a huge advantage. Ask a pro lineman how advantageous it would be to know what the man in front of him is doing. . .

Even if it isn't, it is the principle of the thing, and a number of teams have at least made mention of this as a long term pattern.

Did they cheat to win 3 Superbowls? Yeah they were talented, but cheating is cheating. It really calls into question a lot. Integrity is integrity, and once you've been shown not to have it. . .

There is NO way the NFL will do anything like ban from playoffs that might hurt overall fan interest in season and therefore revenues.

How can the Commish really hand out STIFF sentences to players who lack ethics and claim consistency if he isn't pretty stiff with coaches who lack integrity?

The Pats head coach knew. That means he thinks it is okay to cheat to win. When you really stop and think about that in terms of league integrity. . .He will probably kick the guy actually doing his dirtywork under the bus, and in Nixonian fashion, obfuscate and deny. . .

It'd be great to see a T-wolves type punishment of multiple high picks, but I doubt it. . .once again because it is about money and parity, and they don't want to deny the Patriots too many picks, hurt their competitiveness, and thus parity. . .

Seriously, if teams weren't going to steal plays from each other, you wouldn't need signals in the first place. I'm sure most teams already take precautions against this sort of thing. If it was that easy to spy on the Jets, they deserve to have it happen to them. You're telling me you wouldn't decode Dallas' plays to beat them if they laid them out in front of you? To me, that's just another part of the game; protect your playbook.

It is a rule for a reason. There isn't much ambiguity. It isn't like the Jets coaches were standing on the sidelines yelling "cornerback blitz!!" and people heard them. Every team tries to make sure they mask their playcalling but you can't protect against everything, which is why the NFL made it illegal to videotape another team's playcalling. If they did this (and from what I've read a league source said Goodell and decided the evidence said they did do it) then they should be punished. Just like a player who injures someone by making an illegal hit should be punished. Add to this the fact that this is definitely not the first time the Patriots have been suspected or accused of this and you should have a pretty severe penalty. I doubt they would hold a team out of the playoffs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose at least a couple draft picks.

Ruling the Pats out of the playoffs would cause more controversy and chaos.

Imagine if the Pats go 15-1 and are clearly the best team in the NFL. How can you not allow them in the postseason? If it happens, from that moment on, the question will always be "Yeah, the _________ won the Super Bowl, but would they have beaten the Pats?"

It'd be like the BCS - too many questions asked even when all is said and done.

It's the team of the 2000's caught cheating.

It's a little bit bigger of a deal than some of you are saying.

I assure you it may start coming out that there is much more to this story than they wanted to let out. There are league sources that are saying it started during the season they beat the Rams in the superbowl. I have made my calls to some associates around and they are all digging up alot of dirt that has been swept under the rug for years. That year it was the feel good story of the year and it was let go...the nation needed a boost. Then it perpetuated from there.

In the last couple years teams have gotten real tired of the BS and have started to complain. It looks like they got so confident that they finally got caught and it was made public. If NFL security was the only ones involved down in the tunnel that night, it would have never gotten out. But, there were state Police that were called because it was getting so heated. After third parties were involved, it all snow-balled. Don't think for a minute that Mangini didn't know what he was doing either, he had a debt to settle and made it known...which he should have. People have privately stated it has gone on long enough.

The way I figure, it will either be swept under the rug and the true dirt will not be released (this is much, much more than just a video tape) or the top will be blown off and the very damaging truth could come out and tarnish alot of people in the NFL.

Don't ask, just read about it...or not. ;)

Top Ten things that should happen to Patriots

10. $1,000,000 fine

9. Automatic Loss to Jets everytime they play them

8. Draft picks givin to Skins

7. Belichek, community work in NY

6. Players to march around field naked singing 'im a looser baby'

5. Automatic 72-0 losses rest of season.

4. Patriots to change name to Peckerheads

3. Give Randy Moss to Skins

2. Brady, cut off right arm

1. Brady, cut off left arm

Archived